IMG_8820 (resized).JPG
IMG_0623 (resized).jpg
IMG_0621 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
20180418_155515 (resized).jpg
20180418_155229 (resized).jpg
20180419_095757 (resized).jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Hey Everyone! Pinball Life has just released real knocker kits for Stern SPIKE/SPIKE 2 games! If you love real knockers like we do, this is for you.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5023

20180419_095757 (resized).jpg20180419_095757 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Awesome news!!!!!!!

#3 6 years ago

Wonder how this works. Would be nice to see some documentation.

#4 6 years ago

Basically, it has a custom board that isolates a signal from the cabinet node board safely and interprets that to fire the knocker via it's own power connector and transistor logic. It is also fused.

Hook up the board with the included harness, mount the knocker, change 2 settings in the service menu, and you are good to go!

If you guys have any other questions, let me know.

--Scott

#5 6 years ago

If Pinball Life can sell these for $49.95 and make a profit, why can't Stern put these on games in the factory at what would, at scale, be must less cost? At minimum, these should be standard on Premium/LEs. Absolutely boggles my mind. The knocker is THE iconic pinball sound.

#6 6 years ago

Just ordered 5 sets

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

change 2 settings in the service menu

What settings are they? I'm super curious about how exactly it detects that squeak...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What settings are they? I'm super curious about how exactly it detects that squeak...

20180418_155229 (resized).jpg20180418_155229 (resized).jpg

20180418_155515 (resized).jpg20180418_155515 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

will this work on the walking dead and star trek

#10 6 years ago

No. As I'm pretty sure those are on the SAM system. I'm sure if these sell well they'll make them for SAM too.

#12 6 years ago

I’ve instalked TimeBandit’s knocker in Stern ST, ACDC, and Metallica. Straight forward install and works great.

#13 6 years ago

I have TimeBandit's kit installed on Spiderman and Mustang. Works perfectly.
Can't wait to get my Iron Maiden and install the PBL kit in it. I really hate the screech.

#14 6 years ago

Hey Everyone! Pinball Life has just released real knocker kits for Stern SPIKE/SPIKE 2 games! If you love real knockers like we do, this is for you.

Great price. This is a big reason why I love PBL. Some people would gladly pay $100 for this kit yet it's priced well to not gouge the customer.

#15 6 years ago

This is awesome. I hate the screech. I don’t understand why this isn’t installed at the factory, especially for premium or LEs games.

#16 6 years ago

Why Stern doesn't have these standard in every game is insane. I have never liked the factory sound or met anyone that did. Thanks Pinball life I just ordered a few.

#17 6 years ago

You have some talent there, Mr. Danesi. You should design a pinball machine.

1 week later
#18 5 years ago

Got my kit yesterday, one suggestion I'd make is to include information about where the actual knocker should be mounted in the game cabinet. It's not clear and you have to figure it out from the pictures which I originally thought showed the back right corner of the game rather than the support board that runs through the middle.

Also it would appear that at least one game (GOTG Pro running .95 (latest) coded) doesn't have the option for a knocker test in the diagnostics menu but I did confirm it works for a replay. Too bad they don't fire the knocker if you have the replay award set to extra ball.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Too bad they don't fire the knocker if you have the replay award set to extra ball.

Stop giving away extra balls Bob!!

So glad these are available now. Need to get one for GOT.

So back right cabinet side is best spot?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Too bad they don't fire the knocker if you have the replay award set to extra ball.

Agreed. Since I have match turned off, the only time I would hear the knocker is when I get the Grand Champion High Score.

#21 5 years ago

any dealers in europe?

shipping from pinball life is always very high 75$ !!! i can send to usa for 22$ !??!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stop giving away extra balls Bob!!
So glad these are available now. Need to get one for GOT.
So back right cabinet side is best spot?

You didn't mind when you were giddy like a school girl about your score a few weeks ago!

Is GOT a Spike game, is it even a true pinball machine????

The cable is definitely not long enough to put it back there, it has to mount near the cross brace that's in the middle of the cabinet, near the speaker. I thought about putting mine in the front right corner but was worried the screws may be too long so I put it against the brace.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You didn't mind when you were giddy like a school girl about your score a few weeks ago!

Haha. I needed a few more apparently. Assumed I was the high score to date.

Front right is out for me as that’s where shaker goes on GOT. Middle by the speaker it is I guess.

#24 5 years ago

I have also put it against the rear left of the cabinet as well, the wire will reach there too.
--Scott

#25 5 years ago

Any news how to get this in Europe

Or could you post the diagram to rebuild it

Pinballlife will not answer my Mails ?!?

#26 5 years ago

There are no dealers in Europe yet that I am aware of.

#27 5 years ago

the shop system must have a problem at pinballlife

the shipping could not be correct for this item
75$

if a insider is able to send me this, let me know

#28 5 years ago

Hello,
No, there is not an issue with the shipping from pinballlife.com. We ship everything trackable and insured to make sure it gets to the customer.

Put yourself in our shoes for a moment. Let's say that a customer orders a $50 item from us, and gets it shipped cheaply and untrackable. That package is then lost by the multiple international shipping companies that handle that package and nothing shows up to the customer in 30 days. Now that customer is not happy that they lost $50 and will demand us to send another, even though we were not the ones that lost or damaged the package. We would then lose $50 + shipping and the customer would have to wait a very long time to get their item. That is not acceptable in our eyes.

Also, the shipping companies round up to the nearest pound for shipping, which is why it seems a bit expensive. I hope that makes sense as we are trying to get our customers the best service that we can provide.

Thanks,
--Scott

#29 5 years ago

sorry Scott thats not ok

i can send a trackable parcel from AT to US for 25$

but no problem, dont need this realy, its just a mod

#30 5 years ago

Understandable. I just checked on our website and below are the shipping rates for this product with shipping to Linz Austria. USPS Priority is $46.

Are you seeing the same quotes?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#31 5 years ago

i see now 46,- last time only sputa 75.- thx Scott

#32 5 years ago

All of our stuff is calculated by weight as a standard package. We do not have a way for the system to calculate the smallest flat rate box you can fit the products in. Our calculation is not that far off from that flat rate box you found. I just manually recalculated it on the USPS website to be sure it is working properly and it is.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

--Scott

#33 5 years ago

Definitely want to pick one up for my GOT, do you think you can make these kits for SAM systems too?

#34 5 years ago

The PBL SPIKE knocker kits are working great for me. Put them in all my spike machines, and put antother 5 away for a rainy day. They convinced me to do this for a couple SAM games:

https://redshiftled.com.au/Hook-up-kits.php
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=675
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=683

#35 5 years ago

I’d really like one too, shipping makes it hard to jump on. (I understand your point of view). But for me $50 for knocker + $33 shipping, converted into Canadian is ~$110. Then I’d assume there’s import fees to be paid on this end too.

I really want a real knocker, but can’t justify $125 for a mod right now.

1 week later
#36 5 years ago

I think I’ve worked out an order with another local guy. Shipping by myself was going to be $33 but adding it to his order only added $3 shipping to his total. So, we’re going to split shipping and duties.

Can’t wait to install

#37 5 years ago

Installed one on my Iron Maiden yesterday. Easy install. Great product!
One note, the instructions list the knocker adjustment setting for GOTG, which changes number for Iron Maiden. No big deal.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Installed one on my Iron Maiden yesterday. Easy install. Great product!
One note, the instructions list the knocker adjustment setting for GOTG, which changes number for Iron Maiden. No big deal.

Awesome! I can make a note of that in the instructions that the numbers may not be the same. Thanks!
--Scott

2 weeks later
#39 5 years ago

Just put one in my Iron Maiden LE . Works great. As stated the menu numbers are not the same but very close so not hard to find.

Thanks,
Jeff

2 weeks later
#40 5 years ago

Just buying one for my Ghostbusters Premium !

#41 5 years ago

Just put one in my GoT and IMDN. Easy install, nice and loud knocker like it should be!

They are awesome and a must have.

#42 5 years ago

Well received this morning, and already installed on my Ghostbusters Premium !
Very great must have !

Just 2 questions :

- With this knocker, is it possible to use a coin meter (normally the coin meter is pluged on the CN3) ?
- If you have a shaker motor, where do you pluged the Capacitor Service Kit 502-7059-00 (http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/service-bulletins/service-advisory-shaker-motors/Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf) ? Is it better to plug it on the CN14, or on the X1 ?

Thanks.

IMG_0621 (resized).jpgIMG_0621 (resized).jpg
#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

Well received this morning, and already installed on my Ghostbusters Premium !
Very great must have !

Thank you! for your questions, please see below.

Quoted from Bertille:

- With this knocker, is it possible to use a coin meter (normally the coin meter is pluged on the CN3) ?

You cannot use a coin meter with this knocker kit as it takes the place of the coin meter output and also configures the coin meter output as a knocker signal.

Quoted from Bertille:

- If you have a shaker motor, where do you pluged the Capacitor Service Kit 502-7059-00

The Capacitor Service Kit shoudl always be plugged directly into the cabinet node board as Stern intended (CN14).

Thank you!
--Scott

#44 5 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply !

#45 5 years ago

The Capacitor Service Kit shoudl always be plugged directly into the cabinet node board as Stern intended (CN14).
Thank you!
--Scott

Just one more stupid question, but if i plug the Capacitor Service Kit between CN14 connector, and the new cable delivered with the real knocker who is pluged on the X1 connector of the little PCB, i will have two cable (the blue and purple) connected to nothing (like you can seen on the picture) !
Is it normal ?

IMG_0623 (resized).jpgIMG_0623 (resized).jpg
#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

Just one more stupid question, but if i plug the Capacitor Service Kit between CN14 connector, and the new cable delivered with the real knocker who is pluged on the X1 connector of the little PCB, i will have two cable (the blue and purple) connected to nothing (like you can seen on the picture) !
Is it normal ?

That is normal.

#47 5 years ago

Ok thanks ;+)

#48 5 years ago

My dog would hate me if I added this kit to my Stern games. She loves hanging out in the gameroom until the knocker sounds off.

#49 5 years ago

OK, so someone suggested putting the knocker in the far back left corner of the cabinet. I tried this out on Iron Maiden and holy crap what a huge difference. The knocker sounds just like it was in the head like back in the good old days. I am going to have to update the instructions to show that mounting location.
--Scott

#50 5 years ago

OK, so someone suggested putting the knocker in the far back left corner of the cabinet. I tried this out on Iron Maiden and holy crap what a huge difference. The knocker sounds just like it was in the head like back in the good old days. I am going to have to update the instructions to show that mounting location.
--Scott

Which surface are you firing against?
Back wall or left side?

Installed one in my SW-Prem easy as pie and it works great, but would love a louder "crack".

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-knocker-kits-for-stern-spikespike-2-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.