(Topic ID: 142484)

Real Knocker For Sterns New Spike System?

By Pinballpal

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Does any buddy know if their is a way to add a real knocker to Sterns new spike system?

#2 3 years ago

Bump because that fake knocker sound is a mockery.

#3 3 years ago

Is there an option in the menus for a knocker?

#4 3 years ago

Just set it to off.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

Bump because that fake knocker sound is a mockery.

More like a KNOCKERY , amirite?

#6 3 years ago

I still don't get why they can't put the real sound of a knocker into the game. I wonder if the sound could be changed with the sound viewer software.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I wonder if the sound could be changed with the sound viewer software.

I tried using Pinball Browser once, but the existing sound was too short to allow a decent sounding replacement. Maybe things have changed now, but at the time, the replacement sound was limited by the length of what was already there.

#8 3 years ago

Man I hate that chirp sound. Hopefully there will be a good work around.

#9 3 years ago

I understand the cost savings but at least give us a plug and a way to add one.

#10 3 years ago

I don't understand the big deal about this. I turned the chirp off and would find the knock equally as obnoxious.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I tried using Pinball Browser once, but the existing sound was too short to allow a decent sounding replacement. Maybe things have changed now, but at the time, the replacement sound was limited by the length of what was already there.

The limited time does require creativity. On a Stern Star Trek, I replaced the knocker sound with a laser-blast sound because I don't care for either the Stern Screech nor the real knocker sound myself. Maybe we should start a thread for Stern Screech replacements?

It helps to be handy with audio tools like Audacity to make it sound decent in the allotted time. Time stretch and fades can do a lot.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I've been wondering about this also. Couldn't you just make a homemade sound and swap it in the browser? Like record yourself hitting a piece of wood with your knuckles or hammer then substitute it in?

#13 3 years ago

When I tried it, I started with a knocker sound from a virtual pinball and tried to time compress it. It never sounded right because the reverb was always chopped off. I have real knockers in all of my games now, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

I don't understand the big deal about this. I turned the chirp off and would find the knock equally as obnoxious.

It's to each his own, and I wouldn't deny you the way you'd prefer your games to behave. Many of us who grew up with the thrill of the knocker find the "twip" a poor substitute.

Quoted from herg:

I have real knockers in all of my games now

That's where I'll end up someday. Just have to do the research to figure out how to add a real knocker to my IMVE.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#15 3 years ago

Several years ago I bought a real knocker kit for my ACDC from Pinball Life. Wish they would make more... can't someone just start making these again already!

4 months later
    #16 3 years ago

Anyone figure out how to put a real knocker in spike games? Would love one in my GOT.

#17 3 years ago

WNBJM has it and it is written in the code via a connection from a node board. Have a look and see if there is a pin out and also written into the code of your machine! Should be easy ( maybe )

#18 3 years ago

Apparently there's a spot in the switch matrix for a physical knocker, but not sure about an adjustment for one. Hopefully once a lot more people get their hands on spike games, someone comes up with a setup to add a knocker. A loud ass knocker like in T2.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside