s-l1600 (resized).jpg
image24649 (resized).jpg
IMG_4401 (resized).jpg
image00937 (resized).jpg
IMG_4403 (resized).jpg
image00013 (resized).jpg
IMG_4405 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Some of you that know me, know that I own a coin company and buy and sell coins for a living.
Hence the name "Coindork" is not just a play on "coin door" and has double meaning.

Anyhow, recently I picked up a Stern Pirates of the Caribbean and was looking at the play field art today.
Props to whomever did the art design on this because the coin used in the art package all appear to be genuine coins that are contemporary to the time period.
The coins are laid out in a photoshop and are a bit pixelated, but several of them I was able to identify as to what they are.
Common slang for the silver would be "pieces of 8" and "doubloons for the gold"

Most of the cold coins appear to be Peruvian 8 Escudos struck in Lima in the 1700s.
Exactly the kind of coins you would find on the 1715 Plate Fleet shipwrecks off the coast of Florida.
There are a few different pieces incorporated in the art, but mainly you see the same pieces used over again in photoshop.
Most notably there is a 1710 example.

One of the other coins that stood out to me is a Mexican Klippe 8 Reales.
This type was only stuck for 2 years 1733-1734 when the mint in Mexico city was incorporating new machinery, so its pretty easy to nail that one down to pretty precise time frame.
This is the piece right at the tip of the sword on the left in the second image.

The large round silver coins are probably the most interesting (and the rarest).
They used the same images repeatedly, but it looks like there are two distinct round silver cobs (one from Mexico City and one from Potosi Bolivia).
Spanish colonial silver coins in this time period were not typically produced round like this.
They are often referred to as "cobs", a word that probably derives from "cabo de barra' (end of the bar).
They basically just cut lumps of silver off the end of a bar and stamped it and for that reason are normally irregular in shape.
Round pieces like the ones on the play field were made for a special purpose.
The one that seems to be used the most on the play field art is a 1680 Mexican Royal 8 Reales (which is an extremely rare coin).
Not sure where they got these images (museum possibly), but they actually picked out some rare and interesting coins that are period correct for pirate lore.
I posted an image of a 1609 Royal 8 reales as I couldn't find an image of a 1680 on the web.
The coins are not mine, pulled them off a database from past auction sales.

Anyhow, this was just me nerding out with my new machine and though this was pretty cool and I would share.
Cheers
IMG_4401 (resized).jpgIMG_4401 (resized).jpgIMG_4403 (resized).jpgIMG_4403 (resized).jpgIMG_4405 (resized).jpgIMG_4405 (resized).jpgimage00013 (resized).jpgimage00013 (resized).jpgimage00937 (resized).jpgimage00937 (resized).jpgimage24649 (resized).jpgimage24649 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I like the “hidden Mickey” that the coins form since it’s a Disney game. They are center of the flippers the darker coins if anyone didn’t know about that Easter egg.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I like the “hidden Mickey” that the coins form since it’s a Disney game. They are center of the flippers the darker coins if anyone didn’t know about that Easter egg.

LOL, I didn't catch that first time around and I just went and looked at that after you said that (pretty cool).
The ears are made out of 1680 Mexican 8 Real royals (same coin twice), the head is one from Potosi Bolivia.

#4 4 years ago

How about in a backglass? Gottlieb Fast Draw or Quick Draw.
.................David Marston

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

How about in a backglass? Gottlieb Fast Draw or Quick Draw.
.................David Marston

That would be a Morgan Dollar from the U.S.
s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg222061_1_1 (resized).jpg222061_1_1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 218.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-coin-images-used-in-play-field-art and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.