(Topic ID: 4841)

Ready to Buy First Pin - Go big, or go home?

By TigerSaw

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TigerSaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg
    JT.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

The money is still trickling in, but I will soon be ready to buy my first pin. I have a few people offering me machines, and I really want a TOM. That said, I have a guy offering Hook, LAH, and claiming he knows a guy that can get me a ToM by december. After talking with him for a bit, he says if it's my first pin it makes more sense to go with a more simple, cheaper pin to start, and learn the ropes a bit. I agree, but he also has everything to gain by telling me this as he wants to unload his LAH/Hook on me.

So what you do you think? should I just save up and unload on a TOM, or go with a LAH learn all I can, sell it then buy TOM?

On top of that, I know a guy who has a broken down Nitro Ground Shaker and I think I might be able to score it for 100-200 dollars. It doesnt work, but I thought if I can get it for cheap, fix it, sell it, I'd learn and make money on it.

I need some hardened pinball veteran input on this.

#2 12 years ago

I say save for the pin you really want and its been TOM for awhile now hasnt it? Its a great machine and worth the wait. The Nitro sounds like a sweet deal all the way around though and would be a good score as well.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I say save for the pin you really want and its been TOM for awhile now hasnt it? Its a great machine and worth the wait. The Nitro sounds like a sweet deal all the way around though and would be a good score as well.

it still blows me away that this community responds so fast, and REMEMBERS stuff like this. Yes I have wanted ToM for a long while now.

I will attempt to get the NGS later today, an old bar near the beach has it in a back room, just sitting there with an out of order sign collecting dust. Im hoping he just wants to get rid of it.

#4 12 years ago

Focus focus focus on what you want!

Having said that I like LAH so if you can make a profit go for it.

#5 12 years ago

Buy the nitro, tear it apart and put it back together.. then buy the ToM in December as that's the one you really want. You'll learn more in 5 minutes of tearing a pin down and you won't feel bad if you screw something up since you've got little invested.

#6 12 years ago

I have yet to meet someone who regretted getting semi-project pin as their first one.
    Looking back though if I would have thrown down more money on a nice nice nice one
    I surely wouldn't have regretted that either!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

I will attempt to get the NGS later today, an old bar near the beach has it in a back room, just sitting there with an out of order sign collecting dust. Im hoping he just wants to get rid of it.

I would jump all over that NGS if I were you. If a TOM popped up would you have to sell Hook or LAH for the money? How easy would it be to resale in your area? If you can only buy 1 pin and TOM is your grail, I say wait until December. Unless you know you can resale Hook or LAH for around the same money you paid, and can sell it when you need to. Or you could just decide to own a bunch of machines. GOOD LUCK!

#8 12 years ago

Go big!! That is not fun to sale and move pins

#9 12 years ago

and I really want a TOM.

"Go BIG or go home..."

JT.jpgJT.jpg

Shang Tsung does..! Look how happy he is!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

"I wish I was surfing/snowboarding right now..."

#10 12 years ago

Besides the lack of a great wizard mode. TOM has it all. Flow, Toys, Shots, Sounds, Amazing lights with or without LED's. In fact, I think I could take my LED's out of mine and still love it just as much. This is one pin that really looks great with original lighting. It is also beautiful to boot. I was thinking of selling mine. But, as I put more money into it. I now have a SUPER nice TOM so I'll keep her for a bit. Unless something extraordinary comes along.
    Good Luck. You can't go wrong with TOM.

#11 12 years ago

Would be reasonable to get the Hook or LAH if the price is good. If you know you're going to eventually sell it, don't pay at or above market value as these machines may be difficult to sell. Also, make sure the machines are complete as I'm not sure about the availability/cost of replacement parts.

Good luck,
    Shawn

#12 12 years ago

Depends where you live. TOM's always find a home, others pins you may struggle to sell. Anticipation can be a great thing. I have been waiting for a TOM for ages and I think the time is near where I may pull the trigger You can learn plenty on TOM and mod it to the hilt as well. Wait for TOM, you know you want to!

#13 12 years ago

It's as simple as this.....You won't regret buying TOM even if you overpay by a little and it will be easier to sell.

#14 12 years ago

Get the TOM, screw LAH

#15 12 years ago

I would wait if you think buying the Hook and LAH could jeopardize getting the TOM. However, is the TOM a sure thing? I can tell you from experience that once you have a pin, it's hard to let it go, even if you're getting another one. Three pins side by side look WAY better than one lonesome pin...

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

It's as simple as this.....You won't regret buying TOM even if you overpay by a little and it will be easier to sell.

well said .... you know, i think i will do just that. Simply because like you said, it would be easy to sell.

Quoted from pdxpinduck:

I would wait if you think buying the Hook and LAH could jeopardize getting the TOM. However, is the TOM a sure thing? I can tell you from experience that once you have a pin, it's hard to let it go, even if you're getting another one. Three pins side by side look WAY better than one lonesome pin...

I have a feeling ill end up there. having a bunch of them.

Also, an update if you guys care, the NGS was repaired when i got there! There was no way he let go of it for 200 at that point ..... it also has heavy wear on the playfield, chipping on the backglass, some lights were burnt out, the legs are dented, and the game was scuffed .... looks like it's seen some shit in it's day. When I looked at it last I didnt know what to look for. I have sinec learned that especially on the old machines, that stuff is pained on the play-field ..... and you could see wood in like 20 places .... that's a HARD repair is it not?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ready-to-buy-first-pin-go-big-or-go-home and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.