(Topic ID: 186055)

Ready Player One Ramblings - Spoilers Ok!

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280318-ready-player-one (resized).jpg
20180811_211138 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.52.18 AM (resized).png
image (resized).png
Ready-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.42.59 AM (resized).png
RP1 (resized).jpg
jpop (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider azmodeus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I wanted to start a new thread on ready player one. I saw a bunch of conversation on it in a vg thread.

I love this book. Amazing. If you haven't read it. Do it. Spoilers are ok in this thread. In other words, go read it. It's that good.

Too much insane awesomeness in one book. I hope the movie doesn't suck.

I played and dmed tomb of horrors as a teen in the early 80s. At least once I let the party live. Lava was involved.

Reading the book was a truly breathtaking experience. This is a book that gets you excited. What a page turner. I read it in two days. You will too. It made me excited about reading again. For a little bit.

#9 7 years ago

I had read that they were going to have gene wilder involved before his death. I don't know the details but he seemed a perfect choice.

I had the true pleasure of playing d & d in the early 80s. Every weekend I would buy one or two modules. My favorites were barrier peaks white plume mountain and tomb of horrors. I read the 3 book rule set prior to the 80s. I believe. I ended up being the dm about 99 percent of the time. I'll never forget the few times I was actual able to be a player.

Being a monster fan one could say my entire life was affected by the game.

I played world of Warcraft too, from the beginning, which I felt was the perfect melding of d & d and video games. I still feel that is the best video fame ever created.

You know if people could download thier consciousness into world of Warcraft or something like it, they might.

That is a bit scary, that we might see that.

#16 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19 7 years ago

I am ready for amazement. I hope the movie is good. I had hoped for gene wilder, but no.

I had a stroke and 3 brain surgeries in the last two years or so. The last book I read prior to all my issues was ready player one.

I think then that may be a good title for that chapter of my life. Ready player one. I need to think of a new title though.

Sure hoping they bring some magic to the screen. I think they will.

I just rewatched willy wonka. Gene wilder was the actor to play, IMO. Would have made the adaption zing. Magic. Now someone else is needed. I would suggest Hopkins. Having him in west world sort of steals some thunder. He might be good still.

#20 7 years ago

I started the audio book adaption. Very nice.

4 months later
#22 6 years ago

I have avoided the trailer. I'd like to read the book again. Maybe I should try the audio.

I have never listened to an audio book. Could Be fun I do tons of rehab.

The tomb of horrors is indelibly imprinted in my subconscious. It happened.

#23 6 years ago

#25 6 years ago

I just avoid all trailers now, if I can. I know I will see it so now I just wait.
I hate the story getting spoiled usually.

In this case I am looking forward to the movie in a different way of course. Because I have read it. I will check out the audio book. thanks.

Also I don't see how this movie can possibly be as good as the book. But. I will enjoy watching them try to prove me wrong.

#26 6 years ago

When I was the dungeon master in the 80s with my friends I let them live when we played on this dungeon only. I mean I never had let them live or never did after.

There was one area where if you went through the door, a slanted floor would drop your party into lava. There was a desperate saving throw. They should have died right there, all of them.

But I had to let them live. They went on to defeat the lich King, too. Somehow. I helped.

I will always help the party, I've come to know.

#27 6 years ago

One day I will have to try d& d again but I was so hooked on wow. I am not playing that on purpose right now. I plan on playing again soon, though. It's been about 3 years so far.

The last time I went to blizz con on the band was link in park. Only time I ever saw them.

#30 6 years ago

I played d & d in the 80s I was the dm through tomb of horrors barrier peaks and white plume mountain. Queen of the demon web pits.

My party probably barely remembers setting foot in the demonweb queens halls. I remember it well.

I truly thought world of Warcraft was is the ultimate "new" version of d & d. I have personal goals before I jump back in there. To wow.

But I would also like to try some pen and paper d & d. Too after I'm able to drive.

2 weeks later
#31 6 years ago

I saw the trailer again at the "it"showing. looking good and glad it is only 1 movie. Not a two or three parter.

7 months later
#85 6 years ago

Ok, I finally got to watch this. I feel it was a missed opportunity. It seemed like some other book. Some other concept.

Having read the book and loved it so much. I felt a huge miss. Of course maybe who cares about me?

(And my opinion)

Dungeons and dragons was not in this film except for a tag on a van? I think.

They didn't completely screw up Harry Potter or the hunger games franchises. They remained faithful to the books. Somehow.

Ego? Who's idea was this movie anyways?

I was hoping for a hit. It was a sure hit. I thought. I had hoped.

#86 6 years ago

I am going to reread the book to scrub my mind free of this. Or at least to remind myself why it was so good.

The book.

A pin could still look good but that franchise better come cheaper if I were you.

#94 6 years ago

Are they just trying to build a franchise fully with the movie then?

I can seemorecoming but when you make a grand slam, that is when the crowds desire more.

This is of course all just my opinion. The things that made the book so exceptional to me were largely missing in the film. Just a miss to me.

The person who recommended the book to me said he will never watch the film again in his life...

He is pretty lenient. In real life. And he has great taste.

It makes me wonder what went on inside the movie production that led to this.

It could end up being a hit I guess, just it not to me.

Ego can destroy good ideas. Maybe it was ego.

1 week later
#99 5 years ago

I was just looking at box office results. At many movies.

Ready player one cost 175 currently at 126. I wonder how the industry feels this movie went. I'm learning on this as my example.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buget+of+ready+player+one&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

2 weeks later
#102 5 years ago

I have a lot to say about how bad this adaption was. A good children's movie or something (maybe) it just wasn't ready player one. Which was a nearly perfect novel...

I was looking forward to seeing them try to make ready player one.

What I seem to have seen was Steven Spielberg and team rewriting the franchise. (Poorly in my opinion anyways)

Now we really need a proper movie, IMO. Probably never going to happen now.

We are probably going to get a Saturday morning tv show instead. I wonder how much the author has made Off ready the book. I'm going to google that.

The absolute missing parts about dungeons and dragons clarify my point.

#104 5 years ago

I have to read up more information. I’m opinionated as heck, I admit.

The disinclusion of key details. I don’t know. Why should I care anyways right?

#105 5 years ago

If the author wrote it I want to hear why it is so different. Exactly.

#108 5 years ago

I don’t agree with everything being said on the internet.

Quite simply. I hoped for a faithful adaption.

I liked the book. I knew it would be changed.

I liked the original, myself.

#110 5 years ago

Kingdom come was amazing I have read it about ten times; it is time again.

Also I really I must recommend the best books I have read in comics in atleast ten years.

Mark Millars jupiters legacy 1 and two both volumes.

Spectacular.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

1 week later
#113 5 years ago

I know the golden state pinball show this coming weekend is going to deliver some of the thrills I need. I thought as I read through this.

Shameless plug hanging on barely. Sort of on topic.

#115 5 years ago

I am going to reread the book.

But for now I am bringing house of leaves to golden state pinball for reading.

2 months later
#128 5 years ago

I only read Enders game once, and saw the movie later once.

I sure do understand what it's like to see a great book butchered. I keep waiting to hear about the cartoon. I don't like cartoons anymore.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider azmodeus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ready-player-one-ramblings-spoilers-ok?tu=azmodeus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.