(Topic ID: 186055)

Ready Player One Ramblings - Spoilers Ok!

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280318-ready-player-one (resized).jpg
20180811_211138 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.52.18 AM (resized).png
image (resized).png
Ready-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.42.59 AM (resized).png
RP1 (resized).jpg
jpop (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 5 years ago

The book is one of my favorites of all time. I can't recall having a more enjoyable experience while reading a book. I kept stopping to look up various references (like the Tomb of Horrors module), then my mind exploding when I saw the module cover & realized "Hey! I remember playing that as a kid!". The book was REALLY speaking to my childhood memories. Ultraman! R2-DJ! Meccagodzilla! I even learned about things I had no clue about, such as the 1970's Japanese Spider-Man's battle robot Leopardon. Such an enjoyable read.

The movie changed quite a lot from the book, but that's what I expected. The mass movie going public does not know Leopardon & Ultraman, but they do know Iron Giant. That's an acceptable trade off, and there were many examples like that. Many changes for convenience sake, but tons of easter eggs too. There was no way they were going to fit everything into the movie, nor would they be able to get all those pop culture licences. I'm really looking forward to watching it again on bluray, so I can pause it & spot things I missed on the first viewing. I can't think of any other movie that has this many "blink-and-you'll-miss" easter eggs.

The thing I enjoyed the most was that Sorrento's avatar was based an evil Alex Ross version of Superman. That completely blew my mind. I've always dreamed of a CGI adaptation of Kingdom Come, so seeing that Superman version on the screen sure gave me a thrill

Ready-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpgReady-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ready-player-one-ramblings-spoilers-ok?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.