(Topic ID: 186055)

Ready Player One Ramblings - Spoilers Ok!

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280318-ready-player-one (resized).jpg
20180811_211138 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.52.18 AM (resized).png
image (resized).png
Ready-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.42.59 AM (resized).png
RP1 (resized).jpg
jpop (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 6 years ago

Saw the movie last night...

I’m die hard for the book, so there were several story telling aspects at irked me. There were a hand full of things they skipped with out explaining.

Where were all the ships and robots at the end?!?!?!

About the half Mark of the movie, I felt like I was watching an episode of ninja turtles cartoon. And the characters found each other way too easily in the real world.

Whatever, I still love the movie for what it was

Quoted from jwilson:

The change from the final key being kill-screening Robotron to being getting the easter egg in Adventure bummed me out, Robotron being my favourite videogame of all time, but it actually made more sense.

In the book: joust, Black tiger, pacman, tempest. I don’t recall robotron being played. I own every arcade machine that was in the book, even Robotron. When I listened to the book the first time, I would rewind that part of the game being played and played the game while I was listening to the book. Never stepped up to Robotron.

I don’t understand what you’re saying, finding the Easter egg in adventure was the last game in the book!

He played Tempest at the last gate to get the high score, then adventure to find the Easter egg

A reference to Star craft 2 made it in!!! (Wades aunts boyfriends avatar)

Loved the gundam vs mecha Godzilla !!!

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Wow, I guess I totally spaced on that! I read it years ago, I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought. They did mention Robotron in the movie though.

I saw a robotron arcade and space invaders arcade and a rfm pin in parcevals room at the end of The movie!

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Just saw it. Quite a few diffs from the book, but not bad.
Nobody noticed that Halliday looks like a certain disgraced pinball designer? Even acts like him!

Lol, JPOP would have been perfect

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't like the movie or the book.
Did Sorrento or anyone from IOI have the first two keys? The huge battle at the end was very cool and just as I imagined it in my head, but it made no sense in the movie. If IOI doesn't have the other keys, then who gives a shit if they find the egg in the final game? They don't have the other keys to open the door.

The book explains this part... hundreds of IOI players form lines to acquire the keys and block out all of the other gunters from getting keys, big battles ensue ...

Take the visuals from the movie and listen to the audio book... you will have a better time

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Just finished the movie. The book is way better than the movie.
Like someone else posted, they are two completely different stories. I was really looking forward to seeing the first key (as in the book) and was really disappointed with the race. I mean, the race was cool but the book version of the first key was better.
The movie is for kids, not for adults raised in the 80' like the book. I just didn't realize that going into the movie I guess. No joust, Black tiger, pacman, tempest??
I loved the way Parzavol got the quarter in the book and how he found the old arcade in the old pizza shop. Sad to see that didn't make it in either.
I was also really looking forward to seeing them all in their hangout that is described in great detail in the book. Was that just totally eliminated?
In the book the group all go to Morrow's home, that was also cut. There's a ton of other differences too that really bothered me.
It's probably a better/more enjoyable movie if you haven't read the book, or if you know going into it that it doesn't really follow the book and almost everything is different.
For those of you that have not read the book, go read it. It's much better than the movie.

You and I are on the same wave.

Quoted from frolic:

I’ve found in general it is always better to see a movie first then read the book. It’s hard doing book first for all reasons mentioned.
I enjoyed the movie because that’s the only version of the story I know. When I read the book it won’t take away from that movie experience.

I found the book over 2 years ago, but I do agree, I would have rather seen the movie first, but not for the sake of not having the book years ago

There’s hundreds of tidbits in the movie that I loved, I already want to watch it again...

But yeah, book is king

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Who caught the revenge from mars at the end?

And all of the other arcades in the flick... my wife chuckled when I started whispering to myself naming all of them off in the theater when I’d see one

1 week later
#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am going to reread the book to scrub my mind free of this. Or at least to remind myself why it was so good.
The book.
A pin could still look good but that franchise better come cheaper if I were you.

I’m hoping for a fan edit of the movie, the more I think about it, the more I’m upset at the miss, such a let down. Also felt meh about Enders Game, missed opportunity. Sometimes movies need to be told from the main characters thoughts a little more.

I’d rather have 2, 3 hour long movies and pay the theater price, buy the Blu-ray and t shirt and toys; than be discussing how much better it should have been.

The book

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think this really says is all and what the challenges are. If the original story takes almost 16 hours to tell, you truly are adapting the movie, taking some stuff and figuring out how to tell the rest in a visual form, but for the most part it will never be the book.

Of course, a lot of the book was describing the characters thought process and the 80's within the oasis...

the movie as a standalone aside from the book... I felt as if I was watching a retelling of a Ninja Turtle Cartoon with a different skin on it.

the books story line; especially with the way the characters met and interacted was something that did not translate over to the movie

Sorrento: Evil Shredder
Sorrentos Boss: Krang
IOI Employees: Foot Clan

Oasis Kids: Turtles
Artemis: April O'Neal
H's Van: Turtle Van
Haliday, Morrow: Splinter

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chosen_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ready-player-one-ramblings-spoilers-ok?tu=Chosen_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.