(Topic ID: 186055)

Ready Player One Ramblings - Spoilers Ok!

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280318-ready-player-one (resized).jpg
20180811_211138 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.52.18 AM (resized).png
image (resized).png
Ready-Player-One-Easter-Egg-Evil-Superman (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.42.59 AM (resized).png
RP1 (resized).jpg
jpop (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I wanted to start a new thread on ready player one. I saw a bunch of conversation on it in a vg thread.

I love this book. Amazing. If you haven't read it. Do it. Spoilers are ok in this thread. In other words, go read it. It's that good.

Too much insane awesomeness in one book. I hope the movie doesn't suck.

I played and dmed tomb of horrors as a teen in the early 80s. At least once I let the party live. Lava was involved.

Reading the book was a truly breathtaking experience. This is a book that gets you excited. What a page turner. I read it in two days. You will too. It made me excited about reading again. For a little bit.

#2 7 years ago

I flew through it, too. It's a really fun book, and I love that Spielberg is directing the film adaptation.

#3 7 years ago

Loved the book and very excited for the movie, although i am really curious to see how exactly they pull off some of it on screen.

#4 7 years ago

While I am a bit younger than the target audience (men in their mid-forties), I am a total D&D and arcade nerd and the book is one of my favorites of all time. While the concept isn't necessarily original it was just done in a perfect way that gets you completely hooked. I also read it in two days; at the expense of sleep mostly. I am very excited for the movie.

#5 7 years ago

Absolutely awesome book. The follow-up (Armada I think) was also excellent

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I loved Ready Player One but seriously struggled to finish Armada. I didn't think it was nearly as engaging or as well written.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

I loved Ready Player One but seriously struggled to finish Armada. I didn't think it was nearly as engaging or as well written.

It may be that I read Armada first... But I still thoroughly enjoyed both. Agree that RP1 was much more of a nostalgic joy ride though

#8 7 years ago

Great book! The movie has the potential to be great, especially with spielberg, but i think they will run in to problems for the licensing for all the references. Bands, books, games, movies. Thats a lot to get the rights too. I have high hopes for it though and will see it opening day!

#9 7 years ago

I had read that they were going to have gene wilder involved before his death. I don't know the details but he seemed a perfect choice.

I had the true pleasure of playing d & d in the early 80s. Every weekend I would buy one or two modules. My favorites were barrier peaks white plume mountain and tomb of horrors. I read the 3 book rule set prior to the 80s. I believe. I ended up being the dm about 99 percent of the time. I'll never forget the few times I was actual able to be a player.

Being a monster fan one could say my entire life was affected by the game.

I played world of Warcraft too, from the beginning, which I felt was the perfect melding of d & d and video games. I still feel that is the best video fame ever created.

You know if people could download thier consciousness into world of Warcraft or something like it, they might.

That is a bit scary, that we might see that.

#10 7 years ago

No idea how they're going to do the WarGames and Monty Python and the Holy Grail scenes, but if anyone can crack it, it's Speilberg.

#11 7 years ago

I'm wondering how they'll pull off the giant "final battle." Bring in Michael Bay?

#12 7 years ago

Great book! Anyone who grew up in the eighties playing games will love it.

#13 7 years ago

Loved the book and it is directly responsible for me getting into the arcade hobby which eventually led to pinball

#14 7 years ago

Am I also looking forward to how they get the licensing for soooooo many 80's properties.

Quoted from tiesmasc:

I wasn't as big a fan of Armada than RP1, but that's probably because Armada was simply an updated telling of the plot of "The Last Starfighter"

Which, BTW, if you've never seen, is another 80's sci-fi teen classic.

"Greetings StarFighter. You have been recruited to defend the Star League against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."

Later,
EV

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Am I also looking forward to how they get the licensing for soooooo many 80's properties.

I wasn't as big a fan of Armada than RP1, but that's probably because Armada was simply an updated telling of the plot of "The Last Starfighter"
Which, BTW, if you've never seen, is another 80's sci-fi teen classic.
"Greetings StarFighter. You have been recruited to defend the Star League against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."
Later,
EV

Ya, Armada was a bit underwhelming but I enjoyed it never the less.

#16 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#17 7 years ago

I have some time to kill on my commute, so I listened to the audiobook. Will Wheaton did the narration, and did a great job. I really liked the story, and it was one of the few audiobooks that made the crossover from commute to home because I couldn't stop listening.

I haven't checked out Armada, but I'll have to check it out.

I just looked at casting. I see TJ Miller (goofy guy from Silicon Valley) is in there. He seems like a good choice for the main character's best friend. I was thinking Miles Teller would have been a good choice for the main character.

#18 7 years ago

My now 14 year old son has read this book 10+ times after I recommended it to him a few years back. Not sure how the movie will go just due to the licensing horror that it will be. The only time I can think of that a movie was able to get a big number of studios to allow it to use their IP was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", and this movie will have a ton more. Also wish they would do a 3 parter, it would fit in better with the keys and not make it feel rushed. I will go see the movie, but I will expect to be disappointed.

#19 7 years ago

I am ready for amazement. I hope the movie is good. I had hoped for gene wilder, but no.

I had a stroke and 3 brain surgeries in the last two years or so. The last book I read prior to all my issues was ready player one.

I think then that may be a good title for that chapter of my life. Ready player one. I need to think of a new title though.

Sure hoping they bring some magic to the screen. I think they will.

I just rewatched willy wonka. Gene wilder was the actor to play, IMO. Would have made the adaption zing. Magic. Now someone else is needed. I would suggest Hopkins. Having him in west world sort of steals some thunder. He might be good still.

#20 7 years ago

I started the audio book adaption. Very nice.

4 months later
#21 6 years ago

Just finished the audio book. I finished it in 3 days. I couldn't stop listening. The trailer to the movie is out now. Thoughts?

http://readyplayeronemovie.com

#22 6 years ago

I have avoided the trailer. I'd like to read the book again. Maybe I should try the audio.

I have never listened to an audio book. Could Be fun I do tons of rehab.

The tomb of horrors is indelibly imprinted in my subconscious. It happened.

#23 6 years ago

#24 6 years ago

I definitely recommend this book on audio. I'll be honest, the trailer didn't do it for me. I hope the movie is awesome though.

#25 6 years ago

I just avoid all trailers now, if I can. I know I will see it so now I just wait.
I hate the story getting spoiled usually.

In this case I am looking forward to the movie in a different way of course. Because I have read it. I will check out the audio book. thanks.

Also I don't see how this movie can possibly be as good as the book. But. I will enjoy watching them try to prove me wrong.

#26 6 years ago

When I was the dungeon master in the 80s with my friends I let them live when we played on this dungeon only. I mean I never had let them live or never did after.

There was one area where if you went through the door, a slanted floor would drop your party into lava. There was a desperate saving throw. They should have died right there, all of them.

But I had to let them live. They went on to defeat the lich King, too. Somehow. I helped.

I will always help the party, I've come to know.

#27 6 years ago

One day I will have to try d& d again but I was so hooked on wow. I am not playing that on purpose right now. I plan on playing again soon, though. It's been about 3 years so far.

The last time I went to blizz con on the band was link in park. Only time I ever saw them.

#28 6 years ago

I have never played D&D. But this book has made me want to give it a shot/look into it. How/where would I get started having never played D&D and no understanding of the game/rules etc... may be time to watch a ton of youtube vids on it.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I had read that they were going to have gene wilder involved before his death.

Could explain the great rendition of "pure imagination" in the trailer.

#30 6 years ago

I played d & d in the 80s I was the dm through tomb of horrors barrier peaks and white plume mountain. Queen of the demon web pits.

My party probably barely remembers setting foot in the demonweb queens halls. I remember it well.

I truly thought world of Warcraft was is the ultimate "new" version of d & d. I have personal goals before I jump back in there. To wow.

But I would also like to try some pen and paper d & d. Too after I'm able to drive.

2 weeks later
#31 6 years ago

I saw the trailer again at the "it"showing. looking good and glad it is only 1 movie. Not a two or three parter.

#32 6 years ago

The book was one of my faves ever... I just hope they do it justice. The trailer was cool so that's a good sign!

3 months later
#33 6 years ago

anyone watch the latest trailer? They are really pushing nostalgic buttons.. everything from depeche mode music playing to the BTTF chimes at the very end

#34 6 years ago

Yeah, it definitely looked very cool. Looking forward to seeing more.

#35 6 years ago

I loved this book. A very easy read, but entertaining. I think I read it in 2 days. I have high hopes for this movie!

Maybe we should organize a pinball/video game/movie event.

#36 6 years ago

Really good book, I don't read much, outside of binging some of my old comics every now and then. But being a child of the 80's where I went to or hosted all night D&D parties, played MUDs in college, moved on to PC LAN parties and finally graduated to online role playing games for a while, this book was perfect.

Some results of recently re-reading this book again:
- Used my MAME machine to specifically target some of the games featured in the book to try and get better, such as Joust and Black Tiger
- I realized I had never heard Rush 2112 in its entirety , found a really nice "animated" version of it on YouTube, added this Vinyl to my want collection

I'm pretty sure the movie will pale in comparison to the book, but hopefully it will be watchable. Glad they haven't given away one of the key character "twists" in the trailer, but it's visible on the IMDB page if you're not careful. You know of what I speak...

Trying to figure out if this will have a mainstream audience or just us old gamers will care about it?

#37 6 years ago

It's Spielberg, and it's topical given the trajectory of VR and other emerging technologies, so I think the general public will take notice.

I'm apprehensive.. I haven't seen the newest trailer, but I fear it's going to be made in lines of the teen series we've seen so much of recently. Maybe that's all it should be, but I'm hoping for something high quality.

3 months later
#38 6 years ago

Just saw this. Loved it!! What a spectacle in Imax 3D.

The marketing failed this movie, because its not a movie just about pop culture references. There is a decent yarn in here, and basically references used as peripheral stuff to serve the story.

My wife read the book and said the movie improved on the book in all ways, all her criticisms of the book were addressed pretty much.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My wife read the book and said the movie improved on the book in all ways, all her criticisms of the book were addressed pretty much.

My wife read the book a while back.. I flew through it this week in preparation. I can't go see it until Sunday when she gets back from a work trip. This has been a hard wait.

Speaking of OASIS.. it's interesting to see what's available now (like VR chat)

UE4 Archviz (unreal engine):

And there is a company currently making haptic feedback gloves to feel and restrict finger movement for feeling like you're holding objects:

#40 6 years ago

I usually hate it when people say this but "the book is better". The book is seriously my favorite book of all time. While the movie was very good and improved on a few things (The Shining part!), it was not as good as the book. I was really looking forward to seeing that lich for the first key. However, overall the movie was awesome and the changes made total sense for a visual media (the race instead of a dungeon playing Joust) with a limited time frame (three keys instead of three keys and three doors).

#41 6 years ago

I remember reading a book about how Spielberg adapted Jurassic Park. Yeah, 2 different mediums so there will always be changes. For movies, basically it will come down to 5 scenes. So they pick 5 scenes from the book to adapt. Books themselves don't work like that since they can be unlimited and less formulaic.

My wife's comments about the changes had to do with how the female lead's part was made more integral to the movie plot, Wade being less annoying, and the pop culture references for the most part remained in background shots, instead of pages and pages of lists of them.

#42 6 years ago

The change from the final key being kill-screening Robotron to being getting the easter egg in Adventure bummed me out, Robotron being my favourite videogame of all time, but it actually made more sense.

All the changes they made were fully justified for time and story-telling reasons, no complaints from me. Things like Artemis not being "chubby" is one of those things I can let go because "Hollywood" but at least she had the port-wine birthmark. And so on.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and it was cool catching all the references, not all of which were 80's - things like Overwatch made it in.

#43 6 years ago

Saw the movie last night...

I’m die hard for the book, so there were several story telling aspects at irked me. There were a hand full of things they skipped with out explaining.

Where were all the ships and robots at the end?!?!?!

About the half Mark of the movie, I felt like I was watching an episode of ninja turtles cartoon. And the characters found each other way too easily in the real world.

Whatever, I still love the movie for what it was

Quoted from jwilson:

The change from the final key being kill-screening Robotron to being getting the easter egg in Adventure bummed me out, Robotron being my favourite videogame of all time, but it actually made more sense.

In the book: joust, Black tiger, pacman, tempest. I don’t recall robotron being played. I own every arcade machine that was in the book, even Robotron. When I listened to the book the first time, I would rewind that part of the game being played and played the game while I was listening to the book. Never stepped up to Robotron.

I don’t understand what you’re saying, finding the Easter egg in adventure was the last game in the book!

He played Tempest at the last gate to get the high score, then adventure to find the Easter egg

A reference to Star craft 2 made it in!!! (Wades aunts boyfriends avatar)

Loved the gundam vs mecha Godzilla !!!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I enjoyed it quite a bit and it was cool catching all the references, not all of which were 80's - things like Overwatch made it in.

Makes sense that the quest can be 80s because the creator loved that stuff, but that Oasis itself should be full of everything and anything.

#45 6 years ago

Well, here are my thoughts that i posted in the movie thread.

Short version: loved the book (Snowcrash is still better though), but the movie was just a lukewarm "ok." Not awful, but seemed geared more towards kids and teens, so I cant imagine a reason I'd watch it again.

Quoted from nman:

Saw RP1 last night and was actually kind of disappointed. It strayed very far from the book in nearly every respect aside from general theme and character names. I was certain that was going to be the case after watching the trailers, but after leaving the film, I really think it only had something like 15% of in common with the source material.

To quote my friend who saw it with me. "It was very Spielbergey, but not at his best." I guess i was hoping for more D&D and Joust and instead got more WoW and Avatar. I understand why they had to go that route to update it and make some money, but i wish it were at least a little less "stylized" or "modernized." For example, will someone please explain to me how every "geeky teenager" in every new movie also manages to be athletic, attractive, and good in a fight? Seriously, a large chunk of the film were these kids fighting/running from "the man" quite effectively in the real world. Art3mis and Parzival were a lot more Trinity and Neo than they probably should have been.

On the upside, acting was pretty good overall (as always, Ben Mendelsohn was excellent). A surprisingly large amount of the dialog was quite cringeworthy, but some was fun and smart, making it really feel like the film was written and/or put together by 2 (or more) different people.

Overall, it was still an entertaining film that served up a rarely-seen breadth of pop culture all together and a lot of fun action scenes. A few parts were really great even (the shining, chucky, etc). Just understand that the target market for this film seems very different from that of the book.

6.5 Popcorns.
8, if i pretend I'm a nine year old into escapist fantasy films.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

In the book: joust, Black tiger, pacman, tempest. I don’t recall robotron being played.

Wow, I guess I totally spaced on that! I read it years ago, I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought. They did mention Robotron in the movie though.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Wow, I guess I totally spaced on that! I read it years ago, I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought. They did mention Robotron in the movie though.

I saw a robotron arcade and space invaders arcade and a rfm pin in parcevals room at the end of The movie!

#49 6 years ago

I was impressed with what a technical achievement the movie was. That was some serious CG. I stayed through the credits for any easter eggs (ended up not being any!) and the list of animators was 4 columns and just went on and on and on. Hundreds and hundreds of names.

#50 6 years ago

I’ve read (or listened to) the book at least 4 times. To me as a child of the 1980s, the book is fantastic. I was one of those uber geeks who was into DnD and video games. The movie felt like ‘geek light’ to me, and I understand why they did redo much of the story to adapt it into a movie. I felt like much of the 1980s stuff was cut for more contemporary things.

Spielberg’s influence was felt through out the whole movie (like diato not be killed in his apartment).

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ready-player-one-ramblings-spoilers-ok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.