Coil B28-1150 (resized).jpeg
Arm (resized).jpeg
RPSU (resized).jpeg
Index (resized).jpeg
Jumper (resized).jpeg
Coils (resized).jpeg
Wire Color Code (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I'm hoping you experts can help with reading this 1953 Williams schematic copy that I was fortunate to be able to get from Pinball Resource.

I had the schematic scanned to a file so I can view it on a computer. It's much easier to visualize the circuits when you can zoom in on them.

SteveFury's schematic posts were very helpful for me in understanding/troubleshooting circuits and game sequences.

I also had a copy of the schematic printed so I can write notes and letter abbreviations for the wire colors on it.

This schematic has a very sparse legend as compared to the 1964 Williams schematic that I have as you can see from the screenshot.

1. What does "reuse of same color wire" mean? I understand body color and tracer or mottled color but I'm trying to visualize what red-white-same color would look like?

2. "Double throw normally closed" - Is this a make/break/make switch configuration where the middle switch breaks from the top switch and makes with the bottom switch?

3. The legend doesn't state how many switches and what types they are for each relay. I'll have to count them all and make my own legend for them.

Bruce

Wire Color Code (resized).jpegWire Color Code (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

1. reuse of the same color means that there's a completely separate wire somewhere in the system that uses the same pattern of the first two colors. Basically 27-1-1 is one wire that's blue and orange, 27-1-2 is a separate wire with the same coloring. Basically, they ran out of two color combinations, so that had to start doubling up.

2. yes. They just helpfully tell you which of the two contacts is which, unlike most schematics where you're left to look in the manual or guess

3. often this is listed in the separate manual (at least on 70s williams). Not sure about 50s

#3 7 years ago

Thanks zacaj,

1. What is the Jumper and what does it look like/do? This is in the legend and on the schematic as "J".

I included a screenshot of "Low Voltage Tap" because I'm not sure what this is or what it does. Is this where you use the Jumper to switch between high and low voltage tap?

2. What do the letter/numbers mean for the coils? I see A, B, etc letters over the coils.

Apparently "Re" is short for Relay as in "500,000 Relay" because Williams spells "Reset" out fully and S.U. is short for Stepping Unit (or Stepper Unit).

Bruce

Jumper (resized).jpegJumper (resized).jpeg
Coils (resized).jpegCoils (resized).jpeg

#4 7 years ago

1. I'd assume the same thing as you
2. Haven't come across those on any of my games

#5 7 years ago

I have no experience with 50's era Williams machines, but lots on late 60s to late 70s models; I'll give it a go.

In this application, it seems like what they are calling the "jumper" is the heavier-gauge wire that connects either the standard terminal, or high-tap terminal, of the transformer to the 10A fuse that leads to the main power line. On 60s and 70s machines, this wire is always soldered to the transformer tap, but your schematic almost makes it look like a plug/jack???

In other applications, a manufacturer will often use the term jumper to describe a small piece of like-colored wire that extends power (or ground) from one coil to another coil located nearby in the cabinet or backbox.

Yes, your lower pic appears to be the coil for the 500,000-pt relay. The 33 represents the gauge of the wire used in the windings and the 2300 is the number of turns of wire that are wound around the core. I am not sure what he "T" represents, but would guess it is a Williams designation for the specific size of the coil frame.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks Zacaj and Runbikeskilee.

I have not seen a 50's Gottlieb schematic for comparison but this one seems more "basic" and a bit cryptic.

I'm not sure what "o at z R.P.S.U" means except Relay P... Stepping Unit"?

Does "Index" mean the resting position of the score motor after reset and unplug power?

Bruce

RPSU (resized).jpegRPSU (resized).jpeg
Index (resized).jpegIndex (resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

On newer Williams Index means the resting position of the score motor

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

3. often this is listed in the separate manual (at least on 70s williams). Not sure about 50s

I don't beleive that manuals go back that far-- or if they do, I haven't been able to find them. I'm sure someone will be able to date it definitively, but it was sometime in the late 60s that manufacturers started making manuals.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks zacaj and drsfmd.

Here is something I've never seen on a schematic. Looks like this is the stepper unit arm that closes the switch.

Arm (resized).jpegArm (resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago

"I'm not sure what "o at z R.P.S.U" means except Relay P... Stepping Unit"?"

My guess would be: the switch shown is Open at Zero on the Re-Play step unit.

Merely a guess though. I do not know for sure.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks zacaj and drsfmd.
Here is something I've never seen on a schematic. Looks like this is the stepper unit arm that closes the switch.

Maybe the same as the EOS switch on newer steppers?

Saw this page on PBR today: http://www.pbresource.com/relay-WMS.html

Do any of the relay letters you're seeing match up with those?

#12 7 years ago

I believe the letter means lug placement on the coil.

Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

the switch shown is Open at Zero on the Re-Play step unit.

I believe you are correct.

#13 7 years ago

Correct.

#14 7 years ago

That makes sense, thanks.

Quoted from zacaj:

Saw this page on PBR today: http://www.pbresource.com/relay-WMS.html
Do any of the relay letters you're seeing match up with those?

Good catch. I think you're right. I found several coils that matched the part number there. Nice to know this for future reference!

Bruce

Coil B28-1150 (resized).jpegCoil B28-1150 (resized).jpeg

Coil Part Number (resized).jpegCoil Part Number (resized).jpeg

#15 7 years ago

I have a 6v and 45v circuit flow question about the transformer in this schematic.

Does the current flow from the middle "lug" to the 6v/45v circuits and complete the circuits at the ends?

Bruce

Transformer Circuit (resized).jpegTransformer Circuit (resized).jpeg

#16 7 years ago

Does the current flow from the middle "lug" to the 6v/45v circuits and complete the circuits at the ends?

Yup, half the time. you are dealing with AC, forward push, then backward push.
The common lug is a tap along the length of the coil.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks Dr_of_Style, that makes sense. I've heard that Williams pinballs used DC. Is it possible this 1953 machine is DC instead of AC?

Bruce

#18 7 years ago

Unlikely.
Williams went to DC voltages to pep up their jet bumpers and slings sometime between late 1971 and early 1972. Compact silicon rectifiers were readily available by then to accomplish the voltage conversion.

I had a Doodle Bug from 1971 that had AC bumpers/slings and a Swinger from late 1972 that had DC power to the Jets/slings, so I know only the rough bounds of the time frame.

If for some reason your machine did have DC power, there would be some relatively large non-solidstate rectifier network that you would easily notice.

#19 7 years ago

Thanks Runbikeskilee for answering my question.

What is a "shuffle" and what does it do? I noticed the "shuffle" mechanism on a 1949 United woodrail but couldn't figure out what it does and it's also listed in the 1953 Williams schematic.

Bruce

Shuffle (resized).jpegShuffle (resized).jpeg

#20 7 years ago

From Clay's site, this is for Gottliebs but it may be the same for Williams.

"If the game has trap holes, a switch on the Start "S" relay will energize the Shuffle coil and release the trapped balls."

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

"If the game has trap holes, a switch on the Start "S" relay will energize the Shuffle coil and release the trapped balls."

Thanks John, good to know this. My game has trap holes so that must be what it's for.

Bruce

2 years later
#22 5 years ago

(Resurrecting this old thread)

I was thinking it may be easier to learn how to follow these Williams schematic circuits by associating them with actual photos of the components.

I found a tilt switch (pictured) while going through my game and tightening switch stacks/checking for proper switch contact wiping action, that was probably bent by a tech for the previous owner to disable the three tilt mechanisms and I'm looking for it in my digital copy on the Mac. I'm not sure the pictured tilt relay is part of the schematic circuit below. It's hard to tell from the faded wire colors.

(I added the wire colors in Photoshop Elements to make it easier to reference them than using Williams' number codes. For example "32" is yellow with blue tracer or YLW-BLU)

Am I correct that the wire colors for this schematic snippet should be BLACK to the 3 tilt mechanisms and the wires on the left side of the tilt mechanisms would be YLW-BLU?

Tilt Relay cropped (resized).jpgTilt Relay cropped (resized).jpgTilt circuit (resized).jpgTilt circuit (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

Your schematic fragment doesn't show the wire color for the left side of the 3 tilt mechanisms. That Yellow&Blue (32) wire goes to the left side of the Tilt relay and Lock coil.

#24 5 years ago

Ok thanks. I found the Yellow&Blue and black wire colors on the tilt relay coil. (on the other side)

IMG_20190128_184329280 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184329280 (resized).jpg
#25 5 years ago

R.P.S.U I believe would be Replay Stepping Unit? 0 at Z means 0 position at the Z relay?

What stepping unit should I look for? There are 5 with my game but the label on one of them is worn out.

0 at Z R.P.S.U (resized).jpg0 at Z R.P.S.U (resized).jpg

Edit: I found I'd already asked in this thread. Will make sure I don't ask the same questions again.

#26 5 years ago

This is the Replay Stepping Unit.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#27 5 years ago

Yes, the lower one is the Replay Stepping Unit. The upper one you have the arrow pointing to is the Points Stepping Unit.

My goal is to learn how this game works and to be able to find everything that's on the schematic.

#28 5 years ago

Thanks for the correction, PinballFever .

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

Here is the Replay Unit with the Open at Zero label. (This unit is currently apart being cleaned and lubed)

DSCN4830 (resized).JPGDSCN4830 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-williams-schematics?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.