Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by currieddog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Anyone in the Central PA area want to teach me how to read schematics? I'll buy the beer and bring the schematic.

I'm trying to learn how to read them, but failing miserably. I'm thinking it's because I can't ask questions at each step in the learning process.

#2 6 years ago

Which manufacturer? Each one is drawn differently, and is like reading their own language.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Which manufacturer? Each one is drawn differently, and is like reading their own language.

It's not that bad, more of different dialects of the same language.

#4 6 years ago

Bally. I bought a second Safari that has some issues. I wanted the backglass so I could send it out to be re-done and swap it out in the working Safari I have upstairs.

I'd like to get this one working too. Kind of like my first restoration project. Well, maybe we should start with a "Get it working first" project and then move on to restoration.

There are some issues and I really don't even know where to start. I thought learning how to read a schematic might be the best place.

#5 6 years ago

Don't let the name of this book make you think it's "below" you to read:

https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Electronics-Forrest-Mims/dp/0945053282/ref=pd_sim_14_6

It's not necessarily how to read them, but it teaches you a ton about electronics, in plain English, and walks through pretty much every symbol you'd encounter in a schematic. I've read it over and over and keep it with my parts and manuals as a reference. YouTube is also a great resource and has taught me alot. Channels like One Circuit (more vid focused but you get the idea) have great walkthroughs as does Randy Fromm. Start with the book and then pull up a manual and then open the game and compare the 3, you'll be surprised how quick you can learn (not that I'm an expert, but I now know enough to be dangerous!).

#6 6 years ago

Post a chunk of your schematic you want to read and we'll try to explain it !

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Post a chunk of your schematic you want to read and we'll try to explain it !

I guess I need to isolate a specific problem and post that section of the schematic.

I think I'll start with trying to figure out the power switch and stupid credit button someone added to the cabinet.

It isn't supposed to have a switch under the cabinet, not should it have some dumb yellow button on the cabinet to add a credit. The coin door button does work to start a game.

#8 6 years ago

Here was the epiphany for me, thanks to a comment by a Pinsider, : the schematic is a logical representation of the game at a given point in time (e.g., coin dropped, credit button pressed, game at ball one ready to play), not a physical wiring diagram. So you can't look at the schematic and think...ah ha, there is a wire that goes directly from this switch to this coil. Now mind you, I still suck at reading them; however, that little nugget helped a ton and eliminated a lot of frustration.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

amazon.com link »
    It's not necessarily how to read them, but it teaches you a ton about electronics, in plain English, and walks through pretty much every symbol you'd encounter in a schematic. I've read it over and over and keep it with my parts and manuals as a reference. YouTube is also a great resource and has taught me alot. Channels like One Circuit (more vid focused but you get the idea) have great walkthroughs as does Randy Fromm. Start with the book and then pull up a manual and then open the game and compare the 3, you'll be surprised how quick you can learn (not that I'm an expert, but I now know enough to be dangerous!).

I got that one; it's terrific!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Ordered, thanks for the tip!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Here was the epiphany for me, thanks to a comment by a Pinsider, : the schematic is a logical representation of the game at a given point in time (e.g., coin dropped, credit button pressed, game at ball one ready to play), not a physical wiring diagram. So you can't look at the schematic and think...ah ha, there is a wire that goes directly from this switch to this coil. Now mind you, I still suck at reading them; however, that little nugget helped a ton and eliminated a lot of frustration.

Please note this important addition, it makes a difference when you are looking at things trying to sort them out:

coin dropped, credit button pressed, game at ball one ready to play, POWER TURNED OFF.

Also, there can be inconsistencies within the schematic concerning this state, but they usually are minor. For example, on the Bally Bon Voyage the ball count unit disc is shown pointing at 1. This doesn't make sense given the above, it should be pointed at 5 which would match up with the balls per game adjustment plug as it is drawn (this is an add-a-ball so you start with the # of balls remaining rather than the ball in play). Its a minor thing but still disagrees with my OCD nature.

There can also be errors in the schematics. For example in the Bally Bon Voyage there are 2 switches with the same designation, one of them was mislabeled. That is one of several errors in that schematic. This can drive you crazy if you happen to be trying to work on that specific part.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I'm going to order this book too. Thanks for the tip.

Bruce

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

I'm going to order this book too. Thanks for the tip.
    Bruce

It was recommended to me as well and I've easily gotten my money's worth! Let me know how you guys like it!

#14 6 years ago

One thing to do is to keep looking at the schematic as you work on things, and, as noted above, don't think of it as being a physical map. It's more like Cliff's notes-everything is reduced to the essence. They made no sense to me 7 mos. ago when I got my first pin; just keep looking and you'll finally get it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-schematics-1?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.