(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 583 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by DK
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7597 (resized).jpg
IMG_7595 (resized).jpg
IMG_7616 (resized).jpg
IMG_7594 (resized).jpg
IMG_7602 (resized).jpg
IMG_7615 (resized).jpg
IMG_7614 (resized).jpg
Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Playfield Parts and Rubbers Map Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #98 CPR Mirrored Backglass Posted by PinZig (4 years ago)

Post #131 Coil Stop - #6 Holes Posted by TKDalumni (4 years ago)

Post #155 Full Playfield Reference Scan - Low Resolution Posted by pavel_one (4 years ago)

Post #164 Swinks Drop Target Replacements Posted by o-din (4 years ago)

Post #173 Pantone Playfield colours Posted by A_Bord (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#234 3 years ago

Some questions for the club.

I've found a seller for a Stars that is several hours drive away. I'm interested because I've heard lots of good things about the game and do have some interest in a project pin. This would be the oldest pin I've worked on however.

Looking through these posts I have some general idea of what to look for:
1. Playfield (obvious, that's every pin)
2. Cabinet (see 1)
3. drop target function
4. board function, especially battery leakage
5. Backglass and backglass frame

The Stars I'm looking at only has pics of the cabinet and some non-useful pics of the coin door internal components. The cabinet is definitely rough, I think it had a lockbar across the coin door to prevent theft (giant holes there). Lots of paint scrapes. There aren't any pics of the playfield shown, this makes me nervous about the playfield for sure and I've asked for pics. The back glass looks good and likely usable but I realize that may be unreliable on just a pic.

My questions are:
Are there any big issues specific to Stars I should look for? (particular areas of the playfield that wear, notorious electronic faults etc)

The seller is asking quite a bit for this machine but from the looks of the outside aone it looks like its going to need some work. I was thinking $500 but even that may be high. For those of you who have put a lot of restoration into these (full boards, LEDs, painting, playfields) what's a price that becomes untenable? I realize that's a tough question but maybe some of you have a price you paid that you feel was worth buying it and then doing the work.

Thanks everyone

#236 3 years ago

Fasten you’re space pilot belts cause I’m ready for take off!!

Sorry, 11 hours of driving and pickup have me loopy

I’m going to need some help so glad there are several of you active on this post

1A8AF0B1-89F9-433B-A8CE-67862A830A5F (resized).jpeg1A8AF0B1-89F9-433B-A8CE-67862A830A5F (resized).jpegB7C0C3A6-DCDA-45A9-9AFE-EAC32801B0FE (resized).jpegB7C0C3A6-DCDA-45A9-9AFE-EAC32801B0FE (resized).jpegE2DAB6B3-7FEA-4DB1-BC2A-CE72BAB2D436 (resized).jpegE2DAB6B3-7FEA-4DB1-BC2A-CE72BAB2D436 (resized).jpegF959BF13-3C1B-490B-88B6-9C6D458A161C (resized).jpegF959BF13-3C1B-490B-88B6-9C6D458A161C (resized).jpeg
#239 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply TheLaw it was very helpful when I picked up the machine. It's overall in good shape but going to need a lot of help.

Last night I evicted the remnants of a small creatures home in the cabinet. I was able to find some useful stuff in the floor of the cabinet: extra rule cards, the actual manual for the game (a couple chew marks), and what looks like the keychain that came with the game.

The cabinet on my machine isn't too bad for a 42 year old machine. several scrapes but acceptable. I'm realizing that if I ever do want to repaint the cabinet I don't have to worry about it looking professional because I think I could do a better job than the pros. They must have really cranked these through the factory because centering and overspray of their stencils doesn't appear to have been a concern.

The mpu was not working, one week led blink followed by a weaker single chime. I've thought about tinkering with it but have decided to go with the Alltek as the boards will definitely be my weakest skillset trying to revive this game. I bought a repining kit with the PBL sale at the same time but the connectors actually all look pretty good, no burns, no breaks.

The playfield does have some issues. It doesn't have a lot of wear except for the middle between the lights. The biggest issue is the outlanes and center drain have paint that is still there but its chipped badly and even the slightest cleaning is going to remove it. I haven't cleaned it yet as I'm pouring over Vins restoration post but the playfield pretty much appears to have no clearcoat remaining. It really looks like bare paint.

Is the general consensus among restorers to maintain the defects (Smithsonian style I heard someone say) or to touch up the missing chips?

I lean to touch up because the center post star is going to fall apart as soon as I clean it up and I'd hate to have that missing. If that all fails I may go the China_Grove route and find a replacement field.

Besides sorting out what I'm going to do with the playfield the biggest issue I now have is finding a lockdown bar for the machine. I didn't realize how difficult those can be to find and how pricey they are. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the part number for it but haven't quite figured it out yet. Does anyone have a link to the correct part? Or can someone post a pic of what the dimensions of their bar is and what the posts on the bottom look like so I can have a better idea what to look for?

Thanks everyone, the wealth of knowledge here is amazing.

#240 3 years ago

One of the cooler things I found on the bottom of my machine. Made a good pillow for the mouse in there.

IMG_7183 (resized).jpgIMG_7183 (resized).jpg
#242 3 years ago

Breaking down the play field and have a couple early questions.

The plastic spacers under the upper arch. Gray or white? I have one of each

Also there’s some random bare wire(?) posts. One at the R out lane corner. One looks like it should be at the L outline corner. And 2 at the L sling, near the leaf switches. Any idea if these are supposed to be there or what there purpose is?

4373C3C6-6F49-4E65-B196-94936CA77845 (resized).jpeg4373C3C6-6F49-4E65-B196-94936CA77845 (resized).jpeg6481224F-1CFE-4D06-B57B-C113EF4C949E (resized).jpeg6481224F-1CFE-4D06-B57B-C113EF4C949E (resized).jpeg8EE792B8-5B91-4E26-B2B3-C0D248540256 (resized).jpeg8EE792B8-5B91-4E26-B2B3-C0D248540256 (resized).jpegA805551A-338A-4BFC-AFFC-5DCC8268D907 (resized).jpegA805551A-338A-4BFC-AFFC-5DCC8268D907 (resized).jpeg
#245 3 years ago

2 at each sling? My R one has a single nail at the lower part of the sling and I don’t see a hole for it.

And anyone know the proper name for them so I can start a search for them? They appear to be the same gauge as the inlane guides.

Edit: found wire gauge on Marco, just gotta figure out the gauge and cut it to size I suppose

#246 3 years ago

For those of you that have changed your drop targets with the hooded version do you find the hood affects gameplay or function much? I love Swinks version but right now my funding for true reproduction drop targets definitely needs to go to other areas of the restoration.

#251 3 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

I put a set of the hooded reproduction drops in my stars. A lot of hard shots tended to brick off of the drops and leave them standing. I have since refreshed the original drops and reinstalled. Now they will drop from the slightest hit to even the hardest hit >95% of the time. Much happier with the originals back in it.

Thanks for the info. I decided to skip replacing all 6 and just do the one broken one and one hooded on my machine, then replace as necessary

So much work to do but just watched PAPAs demo of the game and can't wait to get it up and running, shooting for xmas but hoping for Tgiving to have it done.

2 weeks later
#260 3 years ago

Coming along. Playfield touch up complete.

Putting out another call for anyone who knows a clear coater in Portland

Next is electrical after a couple cabinet leg mods

427B0046-F754-4DF2-B517-7610FD305977 (resized).jpeg427B0046-F754-4DF2-B517-7610FD305977 (resized).jpeg97491324-B29C-40FE-B23E-06E06F9B7DE6 (resized).jpeg97491324-B29C-40FE-B23E-06E06F9B7DE6 (resized).jpegF8BAD9D7-1D6C-4141-A705-16197E77C8DA (resized).jpegF8BAD9D7-1D6C-4141-A705-16197E77C8DA (resized).jpeg
#261 3 years ago

BTW. Anybody ever figure out the font for the center points column? I need to make a 1000 decal

#265 3 years ago

Clip the battery off, then most people recommend 50/50 vinegar water solution to rinse off the areas of leakage that are still likely causing corrosion. Rinse that with alcohol to dry. Lots of videos on saving boards out there so there is quite a bit of variability of techniques.

Mine had significantly more battery damage than yours but it still looks like you have a couple areas that may need replaced. I used GerberDesigns corrosion kit because he had some really nice videos on Youtube (under bally corrosion). Great Plains also has a kit but they were out of stock.

Because of my level of corrosion I went ahead and bought a Alltek board during PBLs sale. I still tried to salvage the old board though because once mine is up and running I really want to try to build the Stars 2020 code mod and its still unclear to me if that can be done with a Alltek.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Has anyone installed one of the new CPR or Beehive playfields for their Stars yet?

Was wondering this myself.

Has anyone considered trying to populate that alternative Beehive playfield piece by piece, essentially keeping your standard playfield and populating the other to trade out? Other than the hassle of wiring does that sound insane?

9 months later
#316 2 years ago

Swinks pinball page on Shapeways has perfect reproductions of the old drop targets

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7DWXN34SZ/stern-tombstone-drop-target-13a-11-no-rib?optionId=65605234&li=shops

1 year later
#412 1 year ago

Anyone have a old crusty playfield they're willing to part with? Have a idea for a homebrew based on Stars playfield... it might take me 20 years but I gotta start somewhere

#415 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Only if you can wait several years for me to swap mine but that's a major back burner project.

This might be the right timing. I have lots of other things to learn before that stage anyway. Keep me in mind.

1 month later
#424 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

This Stars was an ugly project bought sight unseen from N NY back in June 2020 for $300.
It is now completely restored and kicking everyone’s ass in December 2022!
What a GREAT pin!
#keeperforlife!
[quoted image]

That's real purty. I have the playfield cover from Beehive and have gone back and forth many times on getting that playfield.

5 months later
#477 10 months ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

WTB a CPR play-field.
please message if you have one to sell.

Also check out Beehive Pinball. They were somehow making original playfields in the past as well, not sure if they still can make an original but if you look at their description of their custom playfield it says originals available "on a limited basis". If you contact them and they only can do a specific production run let me know, I'm getting more and more inclined to put my money in updating the pins I have as prices go up on new pins. I'd be interested in joining you in a order.

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/stars-custom-playfield

1 week later
#482 10 months ago

I just DMed him as well. Let's see if we get a run going.

9 months later
#578 12 days ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I did the chime rebuild over the weekend and my goodness was it tough to get those rubber grommets into the holes in the chimes. The flange on them is much larger than the originals but the center seems the same. I also tried with and without the eyelets and it did sound better without them. They were kind of a tight fit into the rubber as well. All told, I'm satisfied with how they sound but not blown away.
I'm still going through the game looking for issues. I found a couple sling-style switches that were making contact with slight vibration and gave them a proper gap, but they bend back so easily that I'd rather replace them with new ones. Is this the appropriate switch?
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-slingshot-leaf-switch.html
Lastly, I came across this picture of the playfield and noticed the item circled in red. I don't have one. Is it protection for the plastics? Obtainable anywhere?
[quoted image]

From what I remember that's a little half dome shaped rubber with a nail/tack mounting it in the back rail. I'm trying to find an example on marco but failing a bit. I'll keep looking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome?tu=dtrimberger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.