(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 587 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by mikeflan
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7597 (resized).jpg
IMG_7595 (resized).jpg
IMG_7616 (resized).jpg
IMG_7594 (resized).jpg
IMG_7602 (resized).jpg
IMG_7615 (resized).jpg
IMG_7614 (resized).jpg
Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Playfield Parts and Rubbers Map Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #98 CPR Mirrored Backglass Posted by PinZig (4 years ago)

Post #131 Coil Stop - #6 Holes Posted by TKDalumni (4 years ago)

Post #155 Full Playfield Reference Scan - Low Resolution Posted by pavel_one (4 years ago)

Post #164 Swinks Drop Target Replacements Posted by o-din (4 years ago)

Post #173 Pantone Playfield colours Posted by A_Bord (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canoncitypb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 5 years ago

This is one of my favorite games!! I've owned mine for awhile and it is one machine that isn't going anywhere soon.

Does anyone else have a center post that was placed off center? It adds some difficulty to an already difficult machine. I watched PAPA's video of Stars and I can't do the ball transfer bouncing off of the center post because of its position.

#46 5 years ago

I'm guessing each machine is different, but my post is obviously off as it isn't close to the center of the star. I doubt that Kirk planned it that way, but maybe...

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

screening on the playfield is not perfectly centered.

visually, the paint looks good, the post looks off. I'd have to measure to be sure though.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

wasn't challenging enough

WoW! and I mean WoW!!

#54 5 years ago

Gamatron looks cool. I have a stars and just got a Fight 2000, but I've never seen a gamatron in person.

#55 5 years ago

I reached into my Stars yesterday to to check some voltages on the rectifier board to trouble shoot my Flight 2000. I noticed the voltage was low on the AC voltage for the general illumination lights. When I went to close it up, I tried to start a game and the machine wouldn't start. I had controlled lights on the playfield flickering and the displays were counting up numbers in a flicker. I figured it must have had something to do with the lower voltage, so i checked the transformer and had the correct voltage. I looked at the fuse holder and noticed it was much worse than the others. I replaced the holder and the voltage went up a bit. The wires coming from J2 were pretty hot. This problem i was able to track down to a bad light socket at the left 7000 light at the drops. I removed the bulb and the heat went away. I replaced the socket and everything was fine there.

The flickering insert lights and displays counting in flickers I couldn't figure out. I tracked it down to plug J3 on the mpu. It turns out that at pin 10 there is a tan and white wire that goes to the coin switch. Once I disconnected this wire, the game booted properly and no longer flickered.

Very strange behavior, but I though I would share in case anyone else experiences this.

2 months later
#87 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Try Bgresto. Looks like he's done Stars before and should be able to make one for you

I bought a replacement from Mayfair. It was labled poor condition, but was much better than my original glass. I was able to touch up the black on the edges and all I have now is one scratch on the first S in Stars.

Love this game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Boards
Troxel Repair

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canoncitypb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome?tu=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.