(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 570 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg
J2 (resized).png
IMG_7724 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6751 (resized).jpg
IMG_6750 (resized).jpg
IMG_6747 (resized).jpg
IMG_6673 (resized).jpg
IMG_6674 (resized).jpg
IMG_6676 (resized).jpg
IMG_0547 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Playfield Parts and Rubbers Map Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #98 CPR Mirrored Backglass Posted by PinZig (4 years ago)

Post #131 Coil Stop - #6 Holes Posted by TKDalumni (4 years ago)

Post #155 Full Playfield Reference Scan - Low Resolution Posted by pavel_one (4 years ago)

Post #164 Swinks Drop Target Replacements Posted by o-din (4 years ago)

Post #173 Pantone Playfield colours Posted by A_Bord (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KJL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#211 3 years ago

Hello for the first time in this club

I picked up a beat up Stars this weekend and look forward to getting it running. It is my first Stern and I was very pleasantly surprised that the stern 100 MPU that is in it is basically a -17. I knew they were similar, but it appears that are identical as far as I can tell at this point. The original nicad battery was still installed and did a lot of damage that I will have to work through as the game doesn’t boot. I have a few -35 that work but want to fix it of course.

I do have a few game specific question for Stars owners that can help me.

Do I need to have U2 and U6 installed to get the game to give the first few flashes in addition to the cpu pia etc? Bally games don’t need both but not sure how Stern game vs Bally code works

The flippers were stripped, and I have the base plate and the coils only so have 2 questions there. Are the stern stock rebuild kits enough to have snappy flippers or do you recommend an upgrade or downgrade to get the kind of performance you like? Also I see there are 2 kinds of flipper bats type 1 which look like 2 piece flipper bats and type 2 which are 1 piece. Is there any reason I wouldn’t want the 1-piece flipper bats? Are there others I should look into?

If I need to burn some ROMS are the 2716 versions of U2 and U6 on IPDB.org good? Has anyone doubled them up with success ?

Thanks, and look forward to getting this game running so I can see what I think.

kenny

IMG_2726 (resized).JPGIMG_2726 (resized).JPGIMG_2729 (resized).JPGIMG_2729 (resized).JPGIMG_2736 (resized).JPGIMG_2736 (resized).JPG
#214 3 years ago

Thanks slochar and Quench for the guidance. I have started to buy some electronic parts to get the board starting to give flashes and once sorted out then will decide where to go as we play it and see what I think of the game. Thanks again. Will not spam with progress but will let you know when something major happens.

Kenny

2 months later
#266 3 years ago

Have my project stars playing now. Thanks to a few of you who clued me into needing U2 inserted to start the boot. After replacing the corrosion zone it came to life easier than any other of this generation including the masked ROMs and all big chips actually working.

Hardest board I’ve ever had to melt solder though but done. Took 13 connectors til I had 100% lights switches and displays.

Have mismatched sling levers so need to sort that out. Also is the oven state of the art for flattening the plastics at this time of year?

Here is the pile of parts it took. All leftovers from a centaur project. First stern in the lineup. Woohoo

22B8878E-F8DF-42AF-8DD8-68561946262D (resized).jpeg22B8878E-F8DF-42AF-8DD8-68561946262D (resized).jpegB32E5F3C-4B3A-4A1C-8029-EB12E28FD418 (resized).jpegB32E5F3C-4B3A-4A1C-8029-EB12E28FD418 (resized).jpeg
10 months later
#311 2 years ago

Has anyone heard if they are considering a Hardtop for Stars? I see its not in their poll but Its one of the games where the value makes a hardtop a perfect choice in combo with all the beat playfields out there.

And my drop targets were green. When I broke an original I ordered blue from PBR because they looked blue to me but when I went to put them in the originals were clearly green. Adjusting to how the new ones look so did half for now to decide.

star (resized).JPGstar (resized).JPG
#320 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

PR has PFs but I Guess a hardtop is probably a good middle ground.

Well the decision was made for me. Had the Stars playfield in my cart and was adding the EBD backglass and Plastics for my current active restore cause it saved $90

Had an errors so started over and playfield is sold out. "You snooze you loose"

3 months later
#340 2 years ago

Still looking for a CPR Stars Playfield. Let me know if you have one you don't need anymore.

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Missed out on the last run. Actually had it in my cart but was buying EBD stuff and gone. If you have a Stars playfield that you no longer need PM me with details. Thanks”
2021-12-13
Littleton, CO
Wanted
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 72 times

2 weeks later
#346 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Got the bounce dialed in.

What is your pitch? I think mine is too steep but like how that plays. Thanks for sharing

1 week later
#355 2 years ago

Thanks RumRunner9 i had missed out on the previous run but ordered this time.

Now will have something inside to do while waiting for better weather to re stencil my EBD

5 months later
#367 1 year ago

Im doing a playfield swap so thought I would revisit the one non-stern slingshot kicker arm and pivot I have. I know they are NLA but any chance of repro? Ive seen some ideas of Kerry doing them or PBL. Any traction or possibility?

If not anyone have a single extra arm and pivot?

Cant wait to play it without all the direction changes the ball takes when it hits bare wood.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 199.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KJL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome?tu=KJL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.