(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg
J2 (resized).png
IMG_7724 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6751 (resized).jpg
IMG_6750 (resized).jpg
IMG_6747 (resized).jpg
IMG_6673 (resized).jpg
IMG_6674 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Anyone removed the center rubber from that post? I noticed it wasn't challenging enough with it, so I removed it, and now it's a killer.
Anyone else do this? How does PAPA set it up for competition?

I think they leave Stern center post rubbers on for Pinburgh, but they aren't trying to make them brutal for that event. Events that don't have dedicated schedules for rounds typically are wanting to go as fast as possible, so I'd guess that they all get taken off.

#52 5 years ago

Thought I would join the Stars Club. One of my favorite pinball machines in the late 70's / early 80's and was the one of the first to start my collection 15 years ago. Still have it. Has its problems such as a somewhat worn play field and cabinet and it often tilts when a ball goes through either spinner (don't know why - frustrating). But it's still cool - especially the backglass!

IMG_1690 (resized).jpegIMG_1690 (resized).jpeg
#53 5 years ago

This is SK 9

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#54 5 years ago

Gamatron looks cool. I have a stars and just got a Fight 2000, but I've never seen a gamatron in person.

#55 5 years ago

I reached into my Stars yesterday to to check some voltages on the rectifier board to trouble shoot my Flight 2000. I noticed the voltage was low on the AC voltage for the general illumination lights. When I went to close it up, I tried to start a game and the machine wouldn't start. I had controlled lights on the playfield flickering and the displays were counting up numbers in a flicker. I figured it must have had something to do with the lower voltage, so i checked the transformer and had the correct voltage. I looked at the fuse holder and noticed it was much worse than the others. I replaced the holder and the voltage went up a bit. The wires coming from J2 were pretty hot. This problem i was able to track down to a bad light socket at the left 7000 light at the drops. I removed the bulb and the heat went away. I replaced the socket and everything was fine there.

The flickering insert lights and displays counting in flickers I couldn't figure out. I tracked it down to plug J3 on the mpu. It turns out that at pin 10 there is a tan and white wire that goes to the coin switch. Once I disconnected this wire, the game booted properly and no longer flickered.

Very strange behavior, but I though I would share in case anyone else experiences this.

2 weeks later
#56 5 years ago

I'm trying to trouble shoot a few issues on my stars and was hoping for some help. Does the ball need to be in the trough on start up to credit up? I've got a matrix issue where closing the trough causes the mpu to reset.

#57 5 years ago

No, not on my machine. Pulled the ball and started a game. Have a Stern 100 running.

#58 5 years ago

I am redoing the connectors and headers of my Stars. The diagram in the ipdb manual shows wires here that don’t match what I have. However, it says “Stingray” in the title block On J3 it shows green on pin 1 and I don’t even have that, and white for pin 2. Mine is red/black. Anyone able to take a picture and confirm? I have two wire that broke free and don’t want to mix them. Pin 1 is on the left of my picture.

A907BD4A-F93C-45A7-A622-F5F1B6DB021E (resized).pngA907BD4A-F93C-45A7-A622-F5F1B6DB021E (resized).pngC39B68BD-F75B-4199-BEE3-29D61F8BFA29 (resized).jpegC39B68BD-F75B-4199-BEE3-29D61F8BFA29 (resized).jpeg
#59 5 years ago

My schematic is for stingray also, but my wires seem to match what is listed in the schematic.

20190408_211903 (resized).jpg20190408_211903 (resized).jpg
#60 5 years ago

Well, I’ve mimicked it as best as it’s going to get. We’ll see what happens when it’s all back together. It was working great prior to taking it apart, aside from intermittent switch issues. Those issues are why I’m doing the MPU rebuild. The rectifier board is being done because the flippers/relay weren’t doing their thing. Might as well do it all while I’m in here.

#61 5 years ago

PinZig would you mind sending some pics of J1 & J2 of the rec board also?

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

it shows green on pin 1 and I don’t even have that, and white for pin 2.

See the green and white wires hooked up in that lug that's screwed to the aluminum shield? They're meant to be your wires at pin 1 and 2:

Stars_RectifierBoardA.jpgStars_RectifierBoardA.jpg

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

See the green and white wires hooked up in that lug that's screwed to the aluminum shield? They're meant to be your wires at pin 1 and 2:
[quoted image]

Thanks. Looks like mine was “fixed real good” once upon a time.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

pinzig would you mind sending some pics of J1 & J2 of the rec board also?

Here ya go

20190324_114233 (resized).jpg20190324_114233 (resized).jpg
#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

Got mine booting again thanks to the corrections from this image. Thanks again.

1 month later
#66 4 years ago

are the terminals for the coils on both the drop banks supposed to be connected?
Left Drop coil
Left terminal - Br/W & yellow (22 awg) - Br/W goes out and the yellow goes to the right drop on the left terminal
Right terminal - Yellow & yellow (both 18 awg) - one yellow goes out the other goes to the right drop on the right terminal.

Right Drop Coil
Left terminal - Or/W & Yellow (22 awg) - Or/W goes out and the yellow goes to the left drop on the left terminal
Right terminal - Yellow & yellow (both 18 awg) - one yellow goes out and the other goes to the left drop on the right terminal

I can't find many pictures for the underside of the playfield, I did manage to find a youtube video and it looks like they aren't but it's really hard to tell.

#67 4 years ago

Heres a pic of mine. Looks like the yellow wire between the left coil lugs was added to yours. Each drop bank reset has its own connection to the driver board on j5 pins 11 & 12. Guessing someone added it because one quit working.

20190604_224550 (resized).jpg20190604_224550 (resized).jpg
#68 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Heres a pic of mine. Looks like the yellow wire between the left coil lugs was added to yours. Each drop bank reset has its own connection to the driver board on j5 pins 11 & 12. Guessing someone added it because one quit working.[quoted image]

Awesome, I appreciate it.... Yeah I thought it was a little weird to have those wires linked. Glad I asked.

#69 4 years ago

Mine is happily earning pretty well on location. It'll take a while for it to earn 100% of its purchase price, but it's such an addictive game. I love playing it.

#70 4 years ago

I didn't know we had a club! Yay!

I have two stars, one at my house and one I operate. I hope to have a big "all stars" head to head tournament some sunny day.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I have two stars, one at my house and one I operate. I hope to have a big "all stars" head to head tournament some sunny day.

Semi-side track, but so am I. I own 2 High Speed machines. One is ok enough for location, the other playfield is terrible. Waiting for Hardtops for both. Then I have a Laser Ball project, as does a friend of mine. Then today, another friend just got a 4-player version EM that he already had the 2-player version of so the rules would be the same. A heads up challenge event would be a ton of fun to put on.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I have 2 as well! I liked the first one so much that I bought a second Stars to play while I restore the other

Pics of my player and work in progress including the start of playfield restoration by No_Skill

20190605_190912 (resized).jpg20190605_190912 (resized).jpg20190605_190835 (resized).jpg20190605_190835 (resized).jpg20190605_191413 (resized).jpg20190605_191413 (resized).jpg20190605_191546 (resized).jpg20190605_191546 (resized).jpg21996 (resized).jpeg21996 (resized).jpeg
#73 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

...work in progress including the start of playfield restoration by NO_SKILL...

Nice, I'd like to see more of this. I just got done repainting so same area on mine with no skill myself Now that I put a little clear on I might try airbrushing it if yours works well. I put a little frisket on to try to get a key lime straight and it took off a bunch of the red I thought was fine

Red aint bad..but as always yellow is the goddamn worst.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice, I'd like to see more of this. I just got done repainting so same area on mine @no skill myself Now that I put a little clear on I might try airbrushing it if yours works well. I put a little frisket on to try to get a key lime straight and it took off a bunch of the red I thought was fine
Red aint bad..but as always yellow is the goddamn worst.

Luckily No_Skill has more skill then I do or his name suggests. I'll see if he'll chime in with more pics or thoughts. Pretty sure he airbrushes a color then locks it down with clear before moving on to the next.

#75 4 years ago

Are those the factory stencils?

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Luckily NO_SKILL has more skill then I do or his name suggests. I'll see if he'll chime in with more pics or thoughts. Pretty sure he airbrushes a color then locks it down with clear before moving on to the next.

Ahhhh...sorry I misunderstood, I get it now though.

#77 4 years ago

has anyone ever used an airbrush to paint on the stencils?
or would it be a better idea just to get a big compressor and regular paint gun?

I would think rolling it on would be iffy, since it wouldn't go on thin enough.... maybe with the base coat.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Are those the factory stencils?

Hand made by me while I was bored this winter. Wanted reusable in case I decide to do the 2nd one too. Still looking for a decent 2nd backglass to make that happen though. If anyone has one, please let me know.

#79 4 years ago

That's amazing!

Are you saying you are trying to making repro backglasses, or just getting a replacement?

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Hand made by me while I was bored this winter.

Damn, nice.

#81 4 years ago

Thanks guys. The stencils were definitly time consuming, but cost under $10 for the 4x8 sheet to make them. I'm happy with the results so far.

Quoted from Chalkey:

That's amazing!
Are you saying you are trying to making repro backglasses, or just getting a replacement?

Just looking for a replacement. I'd love to be able to make backglasses, or even a nice translite. I did contact greatwichjohn about reproduction backglasses for Stars. He said if I could provide him with the finished artwork needed they could be made. I don't have the neccessary equipment or graphic skills to do that unfortunately.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Just looking for a replacement. I'd love to be able to make backglasses, or even a nice translite. I did contact GREATWICHJOHN about reproduction backglasses for Stars. He said if I could provide him with the finished artwork needed they could be made. I don't have the neccessary equipment or graphic skills to do that unfortunately.

I could provide scans, if needed; I just don't have the ability to "fix" the scans into a finished file. But my glass is perfect and I have the setup to scan.

I also need to get off my butt and finish my project. Playfield is restored, cabinet has been sanded and stenciled, metal has been powdercoated (exterior) and zinc plated (interior). I just have to put everything back together!

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

I could provide scans, if needed; I just don't have the ability to "fix" the scans into a finished file. But my glass is perfect and I have the setup to scan.
I also need to get off my butt and finish my project. Playfield is restored, cabinet has been sanded and stenciled, metal has been powdercoated (exterior) and zinc plated (interior). I just have to put everything back together!

That's a very nice offer, thanks. I'm sure I could find someone to do the graphic work. Let me check into a few things first and I'll get back to you if you're willing.

Yeah, I've got a long ways to go on mine still. Sounds like yours will be minty when done. Good luck!

#84 4 years ago

Loving all the club action recently.

I picked one up a couple years ago at Pinfest. Replaced the gi and displays with leds and have been chasing that 100k shot since.

20170619_201615 (resized).jpg20170619_201615 (resized).jpg
#85 4 years ago

Any Stars for sale? I’m looking for a nice one in Florida! Shoot me a PM please!

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Just looking for a replacement.

Try Bgresto. Looks like he's done Stars before and should be able to make one for you.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Try Bgresto. Looks like he's done Stars before and should be able to make one for you

I bought a replacement from Mayfair. It was labled poor condition, but was much better than my original glass. I was able to touch up the black on the edges and all I have now is one scratch on the first S in Stars.

Love this game!

2 months later
#88 4 years ago

Looking in Ohio. Would love any of the SS Sterns with chimes.

4 weeks later
#89 4 years ago

Found a Memory Lane, wonderful game. Still looking for a Stars though

CA6E36E7-49C1-4497-B7B5-2E7862FD0CBC (resized).jpegCA6E36E7-49C1-4497-B7B5-2E7862FD0CBC (resized).jpeg
#90 4 years ago

Has anybody confirmed that BG Resto will make a BG for STARS?

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Looks like they have in the past so should be able to.
http://bgresto.com/?p=1852
Unfortunately I dont think they can reproduce the mirroring so I have not gone that route yet. If I'm wrong, I'd send mine in for sure. Anyone?

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Stu is working on a cpr stars backglass right now.....

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

Cool.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Quoted from PinZig:

Unfortunately I dont think they can reproduce the mirroring so I have not gone that route yet. If I'm wrong, I'd send mine in for sure. Anyone?

He mentioned it to me not long ago so i assume he can.

You'd have to take to him aboot the mirror issue and see if you can work somehting out. The deal is he has the ability use your Stars BG (assuming you have one), and strip the OG paint and reapply, but I don;t know if that;s a service he offers for everyone?

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You'd have to take to him aboot the mirror issue and see if you can work somehting out. The deal is he has the ability use your Stars BG (assuming you have one), and strip the OG paint and reapply, but I don;t know if that;s a service he offers for everyone?

I actually have a pretty decent one already with the mirroring intact and just small imperfections in other areas. I know in some cases bg will just repair certain sections that need it. My second glass (yes, I have 2 Stars pins) is in rougher shape including some mirroring. I should probably just contact him and see what could be done with them. Or...

Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

It's nice to have options too!

Here are mine. I'm in the process of restoring the 1st machine now.
1st pic is the glass with minor damage in players numbering and some scratches. I may just leave it as is, it's nice otherwise.
2nd glass would need more repaired, damaged throughout.

20190922_124114 (resized).jpg20190922_124114 (resized).jpg20190922_123836 (resized).jpg20190922_123836 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#96 4 years ago

All LED'd and looking good!

I replaced the GI incandescents as soon as I got it, but had held off on the playfield lights because I thought they would flicker. A couple weeks ago I was about to buy some lights and figured I would test a light on Stars to see what happened with a spare bulb I had. I put in the light, turn it on and it looks good. No flicker. Cool beans, guess I'll order the rest. They get here last weekend, I spend a couple hours replacing all the bulbs, and naturally doing some solder work to fix the couple light brackets I broke along the way. Turn it on. Flicker city! The only bulb not flickering was the one I tested. Figures. Almost immediately ordered the daughter boards Comet sells. They just got here. After a super easy install my Stars is looking nice. Time to get some games in. Stars w/ Commet LEDsStars w/ Commet LEDs

1 week later
#97 4 years ago

Recent new stars owner. I’m loving the game. I had wanted one for years and missed out on a couple local a few time. Finally the right one popped up at the right time and I grabbed it. Just cleaned it up and added leds. It fits in nicely with my other classic sterns which are seawitch, NB, and Meteor.

Mike

3C1FC82C-2AEF-46B7-B0C9-D00F8907E395 (resized).jpeg3C1FC82C-2AEF-46B7-B0C9-D00F8907E395 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#100 4 years ago

How have CPRs backglasses been holding up? I know I've seen people say plastics from them that have had a bunch of issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome/page/2?hl=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.