• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

speakers.PNG
DSCN1359.JPG
#1 9 years ago

So, I'm looking to replace the cabinet speaker in my BSD and found this from markmon while searching:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-bang-for-the-buck-lower-cabinet-backbox-speakers-ie-35-50-all-3

"Pre DCS - cheap 8 ohm 8" sub, 4 ohm 5.25", 4 ohm 3.5", lpad, 8 mH inductor and a lot of wire. Need to rewire cabinet speaker as 8 ohm in parallel with seriesed backbox set. There is only one amp for all three speakers and it needs be 4 ohm when done. It is improperly wired from factory. "

This is very interesting information, and I'd like to see more detailed instructions about it! Anybody that's done it: does it make that big of a difference?

How's about writing this up for pinwiki or something mark?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Use the right speakers, and this can be pretty easy. Here's what is in my Creature:

DSCN1359.JPGDSCN1359.JPG

The key is, get an efficient 8-ohm speaker.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2950-/55-2950

The 94dB efficiency number means that it offers about 10x the sound output at the same power as a typical 84dB speaker. I install cheap car speakers in the head. You may need to fabricate spacers to stop the speaker surround hitting the wood.

so:
1) Replace cab speaker with efficient 8 ohm 8 inch speaker

2) rewire head so that cab is on one connector, and head on the other (this is easy, as they had to modify from this for the arrangement they ended up with).

3) Replace head speakers with 2 car speakers in series, eliminate capacitor.
If the head is then too strong, a sand resistor will fix that. 10 - 20 ohms usually seems about right. Order a small handful, tune to taste.

#3 9 years ago

Excellent advice from Pam above. I like the 10 ohm resistor as well in backbox.

#4 9 years ago

Will the wiring be obvious when I look at it? Where will the other plug I make go on the board? The resistor?

#5 9 years ago

ok, so here's the new wiring diagram? (forgive the touchpad drawing)
What pins are supposed to be used for the two different connectors?

What kind of speakers do you use in the head? Just matching 3.5" or whatever door speakers?

speakers.PNGspeakers.PNG

#6 9 years ago

Visit Tony's page... More than you'll ever want/need.

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_wiring.html

#7 9 years ago

Wow, this must be the "lot of wire" solution Mark referred to. Awesome info, and I think it answered the wiring question.

#8 9 years ago

Just extend those blue lines up to the connectors and you have it. That inline connector is up in the head. Split it, and run the wires to their respective connectors.

For the head, I usually buy cheap 51/4" car speakers. If you can find ones with recessed cones (not flush with the mounting flange) they don't need a spacer. Or, you can cut out the hole.

#9 9 years ago

I have done this to three of my WPC games and it makes a world of difference

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

Just extend those blue lines up to the connectors and you have it. That inline connector is up in the head. Split it, and run the wires to their respective connectors.

but you're going from 2 wires to 4, so which pins do you use? This picture on the linked page shows one possible configuration, but that configuration doesn't use either of the pins in the original schematic.

Maybe that's the idea?

http://www.dziedzic.us/images/sound-board-connections.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Great info here, I've used Tonys method a few times in the past.

Robert

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

Use the right speakers, and this can be pretty easy. Here's what is in my Creature:

The key is, get an efficient 8-ohm speaker.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2950-/55-2950
The 94dB efficiency number means that it offers about 10x the sound output at the same power as a typical 84dB speaker. I install cheap car speakers in the head. You may need to fabricate spacers to stop the speaker surround hitting the wood.
so:

Just to be accurate (and not meant as a threadcrap or insult at all):

a speaker that is 10dB more sensitive does mean it would take 1/10th the power to drive the more efficient speaker to the same level. However, let's say that one speaker is 84 dB/w/1m and one is 94 dB/w/1m. While the more efficient speaker will be outputting 94dB at 1 watt (at 1 meter), it will NOT sound 10x as loud. Sound is logarithmic, and as a consequence 10dB (10 times the power) is what we equate to sounding "twice" as loud. 3dB, which equates to a doubling of power only sounds "slightly" louder to the ear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 84.99
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-wiring-cabinet-speakers-for-williams-pre-dcs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.