Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MartyFnMcfly
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-757.jpg
image-806.jpg
image-736.jpg
image.jpg
image-567.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
tumblr_ndnl3b5xVp1tvu05xo1_1280.jpg
image-688.jpg
image-231.jpg
image-47.jpg
image-675.jpg
image-898.jpg
image-358.jpg
image-932.jpg
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I've been thinking about this for a couple days and have came up with an idea that I think is pretty cool. The rules are simple, you collect items and defeat dungeons to earn points, powering up your hero will help you score higher points.

The original Legend of Zelda for NES is one of my favorite games and fits nicely onto the Bally Mystic game. Zelda has 9 dungeons and each dungeon has a special item that you collect in it. You upgrade your sword and shield twice each and finally there's a bunch of power ups that you collect throughout the world.
image.jpg
Mystic has 9 drop targets, each one represents one spot on the tic tac toe board in he center of the playfield. The drop targets are either pyramids or eyes on the grid and you change them by hitting the pop bumpers. There are 4 star lanes and a captive ball that gives a multiplier.
image-932.jpg
The 9 dungeon maps of Zelda all fit together into a tight box. That will be used in place of the tic tac toe board in the center of the playfield.
image-358.jpg
Each drop target will represent one dungeon and/or it's associated item. The dungeons drop target will be as close as possible to each dungeons location in the map on the center of the playfield. The inserts will have a 8bit picture of each item and/or dungeon number instead of the pyramid and eye. To switch the drop target between dungeon and item you will hit the tri force pop bumpers.
image-898.jpg
The spinners in Mystic score 10 pts and after you get the ball in the saucer at the top of the playfield they score 1000pts. I thought the two spinners inserts could get graphics for the compass and map; two of the most common things you acquire in each dungeon.

The 4 star lanes ( 2 at the top beside the saucer and 2 in the inlanes by the flippers. ) will be used for weapon upgrades. The top two for the white sword and master sword. The bottom two lanes for the wooden shield and large shield.
image-675.jpg
Finally the captive ball would be used to collect the final items from around the world. Each inline insert would be an item. First a bomb, then the blue ring (x2), power bracelet (x3), red ring (x4), health potion (special), and the magic key to complete the row.

Lvl 1- Bow
Lvl 2- Boomerang
Lvl 3- Raft
Lvl 4- Ladder
Lvl 5- Whistle
Lvl 6- Magic Wand
Lvl 7- Red Candle
Lvl 8- Magic Book
Lvl 9- Silver Arrow

The backglass could be simply the Start screen from the game. The cabinet graphics could be something simple like the NES games box art.
image-47.jpgimage-231.jpg
I'm fairly new to the pinball hobby but I feel the this project is almost within my skill set. I will need to learn about creating the graphics for the playfield although having everything available from the video game and having it in 8bit should make it easier. I will need help with creating the playfield plastics. Although I did consider making them out of perler beads to have them look 8bit-ish. Finally the sounds. I think I can figure out how to setup and install an mp3 trigger system, but assistance would be awesome.

I don't know how quickly I will get to this protect, but it would be a fun one.
image-688.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Nice solid foundation on adapting the rules/logic.

#3 4 years ago

Love it. Where's the pre order sign up?

#4 4 years ago

I like the cut of your jib!

#5 4 years ago

Good luck with project, do not use perler beads, that will look REALLY cheap imo...

#6 4 years ago

Very creative! I had no idea the dungeons fit together like that. Luckydogg420, did you ever beat the 2nd quest?

#7 4 years ago

that is awesome

#8 4 years ago

Best idea ever!

#9 4 years ago

Wow. Would be awesome. Gladiators was originally supposed to be legend of Zelda but something occurred with the license last minute and it was re themed. I don't think it was going to be based only on the initial game.

#10 4 years ago

I'd love a real pinball company to make a Zelda theme based off the original nes game.

#11 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to following this. Good luck!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I'd love a real pinball company to make a Zelda theme based off the original nes game.

No kidding. The title remains as hot as ever and would cater to a HUGE demographic young and old. I've got to assume it's a licensing cost issue, because there are seemingly endless possibilities as to how this could be accomplished with a huge WOW factor.

Puzzles, hidden treasures, fighting, magic, great music, great artwork... what's not to like?
Beating levels, earn rupees which could be cashed in at various aspects of the game for point rewards, modes, etc...
End goal: Save the princess
I could go on and on...

Anyways, props to the OP for a great idea to re-theme!

#13 4 years ago

I have to say, the artwork on Mystic is really great and probably my favorite part of the game. On the other hand, if you have a really beat-up copy of the game, it wouldn't be such a tragedy to see it rethemed.

If you're not totally sold on using just 8-bit graphics, the artwork out of the NES/Famicom instruction booklets are pretty great, and there's some neat Zelda manga artwork out there. I did a search just in case I ever had the temptation to get a Gladiators and make it into a Zelda pinball game.

#14 4 years ago

you almost dont' even have to change the artwork. Almost all the art on the playfield is something in zelda, except the winged chic at the bottom.

#15 4 years ago

btw, you know gottlieb Gladiators was suppose to be Zelda. You can tell by the playfield layout.

#16 4 years ago

I remember a while ago I came across this mock up for a Zelda pin and though wow that's pretty sweet...Zelda Pinball

#17 4 years ago

that is pretty awesome but unrealistic. That cabinet would have to be deeper than even Bally escape from lost world or Blackwater 100. Look how high that castle is.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I have to say, the artwork on Mystic is really great and probably my favorite part of the game. On the other hand, if you have a really beat-up copy of the game, it wouldn't be such a tragedy to see it rethemed.

Yes, if you do this, please do start with a really trashed playfield. Be very sad to take a nice or even decent game and wreck it, Mystic is a classic 80s Bally, only so many still out there in nice shape.

#19 4 years ago

Please please do this. I would love to see a Zelda pin. Been contemplating doing this too. Beat me to it!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

Please please do this. I would love to see a Zelda pin. Been contemplating doing this too. Beat me to it!

No. I didn't beat you to it.... In truth your Goonies game inspired me try this, I've followed your thread from the begining. Then you mentioned Zelda in another thread and it was a eurika moment for me. If I'm going to do it, this is the theme for me.

I would only want to base it around the first game, that's my favorite one. The 8bit graphics would keep it easier for me, unless I'm able to find an artist to work with to create the playfield.

#21 4 years ago

Right on! The original NES game would be the way I would do it too. Keep us posted. I'm excited to see what you do with it.

#22 4 years ago

Bump for the Monday morning crowd.

I'd really like any ideas you guys have. This is still a work in progress and I'm sure there's a good idea or two out there. After thinking about it, I might use artwork from the game manual for some of the game, but I want to have the inserts in 8bit for each item you collect. Each dungeon has a name for it, lion, snake ect. I might have small pictures in the dungeon inserts for what level they represent. I think that's better than using 1,2,3 ect.

Does anyone have tips for creating playfield graphics?

What's the best way to make playfield plastics, or is there anyone here that makes them?

I'm probably going to stencil the cabinet art work to keep it simple.

#23 4 years ago

I've added this topic to my favorite threads list. Really looking forward to following this retheme.

#24 4 years ago

Have you seen the old zelda cartoon?
If you decide to go with the manual art work there is some cool stuff in there.

#25 4 years ago

I vaguely remember the show, so I just ordered it from amazon. Should be here in a couple days.

The hand drawn art looks nice and I think having everything 8bit could degrade from the machine.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Bump for the Monday morning crowd.
I'd really like any ideas you guys have. This is still a work in progress and I'm sure there's a good idea or two out there. After thinking about it, I might use artwork from the game manual for some of the game, but I want to have the inserts in 8bit for each item you collect. Each dungeon has a name for it, lion, snake ect. I might have small pictures in the dungeon inserts for what level they represent. I think that's better than using 1,2,3 ect.
Does anyone have tips for creating playfield graphics?
What's the best way to make playfield plastics, or is there anyone here that makes them?
I'm probably going to stencil the cabinet art work to keep it simple.

I used Rich from This Old Game for my Goonies project. He can make everything you need. He printed my backglass, plastics, pf overlay, and cabinet art. Full service!

Check out his pinball site to see some more of his personal project. www.pinballbuilders.com

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

Have you seen the old zelda cartoon?

Even better than the cartoon were the comic books line. Rather dark for a comic from that time based on a cartoon. Great stuff: amazon.com link »

#28 4 years ago

I vaguely remember the show, so I just ordered it from amazon. Should be here in a couple days.
The hand drawn art looks nice and I think having everything 8bit could degrade from the machine.

Agreed. I mean no disrespect, the dungeon idea outlined in your first post is kind of neat, but visually wouldn't make much sense to the casual viewer. Maybe each square could be a dungeon room so it's immediately recognizable as to what you're actually doing? You could still keep the weapons for the inserts.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

the dungeon idea outlined in your first post is kind of neat, but visually wouldn't make much sense to the casual viewer. Maybe each square could be a dungeon room so it's immediately recognizable as to what you're actually doing?

Good point. I could even put a picture of each dungeon map by the drop target, leaving the center of the playfield open for for more useful art.

2 weeks later
#30 4 years ago

Well I'm no graphic artist, but there's an app for that. Lol. I found an app that lets you combine images together. So I started with a pic of the Mystic playfield and then added layers to it, keeping the parts of the image that I want. This is a kinda version 1.0, just something to play with.
image.jpg

My thoughts are to use this pic to make more detailed images of the different playfield areas. Then take those pics to a graphic artist for the final work. I just need something to get my ideas across.

The me know what you guys think. I do well with constructive criticisim. I want to add a bunch to this, like bad guys on the playfield, link and Gannon pictures on the playfield plastics, change the insert colours, Ect.

#31 4 years ago

Popcaps: Moblin, Keese, Peahat.

#32 4 years ago

Legend of Zelda would also theme nicely into Time Warp. I think the pop bumpers light up in particular sets and score differently when lit if I recall correctly.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, if you do this, please do start with a really trashed playfield. Be very sad to take a nice or even decent game and wreck it, Mystic is a classic 80s Bally, only so many still out there in nice shape.

Agree with this comment. I love Mystic and I have a really thrashed playfield if you need such a thing. I don't think there will ever be playfields made for this so please use a thrashed one. Let me know if you are interested in the one I have.

#34 4 years ago

+1 for using the manual artwork! There's a lot of magic in that art.

I was dabbling with a Gladiators re-theme a few months ago, but in the process really fell in love with the original cheesy artwork and didn't have the heart to cover it up.

I did put together a good collection of original NES Zelda artwork for the project that you're welcome to use for yours: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvqkkhq7ggqe4et/Zelda%20Images.zip?dl=0

There's some SNES stuff in there as well, but its 90% NES goodness.

#35 4 years ago

Great idea.
Just curious, not sure what your plan is but couldn't you: buy a piece of finish plywood, unpopulate the Mystic playfield, then trace the outline of the playfield along with all the cut outs and holes onto the plywood? Could probably get a few playfields from 1 sheet. Obviously you need a router w/ bits, jigsaw, and other wood working tools, but that playfield you have looks flawless. Would be a shame to strip it if you didn't have to.

#36 4 years ago

Well I'm no graphic artist, but there's an app for that. Lol. I found an app that lets you combine images together. So I started with a pic of the Mystic playfield and then added layers to it, keeping the parts of the image that I want. This is a kinda version 1.0, just something to play with.

My thoughts are to use this pic to make more detailed images of the different playfield areas. Then take those pics to a graphic artist for the final work. I just need something to get my ideas across.
The me know what you guys think. I do well with constructive criticisim. I want to add a bunch to this, like bad guys on the playfield, link and Gannon pictures on the playfield plastics, change the insert colours, Ect.

image.jpg 269 KB

I love the graphics on the playfield. The only thing I would change is the huge black area where the bumpers are. It would be cool if the area above the bumpers where the lanes are were the store in the cave and black but the bumper area needs some graphics instead of just being black. The store doesn't need to be that big. Maybe water with some Zora's popping up and shooting fireballs?

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Popcaps: Moblin, Keese, Peahat.

Great idea, originally I thought the popcaps would be tri force pieces but I'm not convinced that triangles are the best use of that space.

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Agree with this comment. I love Mystic and I have a really thrashed playfield if you need such a thing. I don't think there will ever be playfields made for this so please use a thrashed one. Let me know if you are interested in the one I have.

My playfield is not in that bad of condition and it would be good to save it, there's some paint missing but it's salvagable. I like the idea of using a second playfield for this project. Send me a pm with a price and we can figure out shipping costs.

Quoted from RyThom:

+1 for using the manual artwork! There's a lot of magic in that art.

Thanks for the art collection. Some of that might be useful.

Quoted from vilant:

Great idea.
Just curious, not sure what your plan is but couldn't you: buy a piece of finish plywood, unpopulate the Mystic playfield, then trace the outline of the playfield along with all the cut outs and holes onto the plywood? Could probably get a few playfields from 1 sheet. Obviously you need a router w/ bits, jigsaw, and other wood working tools, but that playfield you have looks flawless. Would be a shame to strip it if you didn't have to.

These pictures are from a virtual pin copy of mystic, not from my game. I have all the woodworking tools and could create a new playfield, but I really like the idea of useing an old worn out playfield as a starting spot. My game is far from perfect, but the playfield is in good shape compaired to the cabinet and backglass

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I love the graphics on the playfield. The only thing I would change is the huge black area where the bumpers are. It would be cool if the area above the bumpers where the lanes are were the store in the cave and black but the bumper area needs some graphics instead of just being black. The store doesn't need to be that big. Maybe water with some Zora's popping up and shooting fireballs?

Thanks for the ideas. I was going to add the store and potion shop on either side of the bottom pop bumper to fill in the black space around the pops. Some water with Zora is a good idea, I just didn't know where to fit that I to the playfield.

Here's 2 pictures of my game. You can see the backglass has flaked off on the bottom. I tried to triple thick it so that it stays in place. The playfield has wear in all the usual spots but the Mylar looks mostly good and the inserts are flat
image.jpg
image-567.jpg

#38 4 years ago

Ah the wear on the playfield and backglass doesn't matter since you're doing a zelda overlay on both anyway. Great idea! The water can be all around the pop bumpers, like a lake in the middle of the land and the shop could stay where is. Just have the black area only go to the bottom of the inlanes.

#39 4 years ago

Here's a couple pics of the ugly parts of the playfield, just a little paint loss. This one will probably be saved for a restoration and I will use a worn out playfield for my convertion. I'd rather not destroy something that's useful.
image.jpg
Top of the shooter lane
image-736.jpg
By the ball stop and lane switches
image-806.jpg
Under the captive ball
image-757.jpg
And straight down the middle.

#40 4 years ago

Should join us on the all pinball Custom/Re-theme thread, alot of us could help you out

#41 4 years ago

That's a very nice looking playfield for it's time. Looks just like mine - blue faded to green and all.

Back glass looks ok (better than mine), and I'd be willing to buy that off of you if it was the early production version with no sticker over the middle hole.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

That's a very nice looking playfield for it's time. Looks just like mine - blue faded to green and all.
Back glass looks ok (better than mine), and I'd be willing to buy that off of you if it was the early production version with no sticker over the middle hole.

You can take the sticker off using goo gone. I did it with my NOS glass since I have a game with the 3-D eye insert. It was put on there with some really light rubber cement. Comes off with very little effort. Don't pull but use very little Goo Gone and a nice razor blade tool to get under it without damaging the silk screen.

All glasses after the 3D hole was eliminated shipped with the sticker on the glass. So did all the NOS glasses.

#43 4 years ago

Good info, thanks

5 months later
#44 3 years ago

I have a Mystic with a worn playfield, I would be willing to trade for your playfield if you go ahead with this conversion. I have been looking for a better example so that I don't have to repaint the missing sections of mine. Let me know if your interested.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 279.95
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside