New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268152)

Re-solder coil, now no playfield lights

By flopflip

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by flopflip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Flip_Flop (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    TripCsold1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Bally Flip Flop. One of the two wires (both white/black) on the Game Over Relay Trip coil was barely connected by two strands, so I re-soldered both wires. Now, when I power the machine back on, only the Backbox lights come on, not the Playfield. Apparently I did something wrong when I re-soldered. First, both wires are contacting eachother by the solder but they were already soldered to the same side of the relay. Secondly, the plastic part of the relay coil broke but is still attached to the relay coil and the tiny copper wire is still soldered to the two wires. Any ideas? I did not think any of this had to do with Playfield lights, but now suddenly they don't work. Image below

TripCsold1 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 months ago

Check the fuse and Lock relay sw.

Capture (resized).PNG
    #3 5 months ago

Fuses are fine. I even replaced the Playfield fuse just to be sure. Lock relay energized when game plugged in.

#4 5 months ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

Lock relay energized when game plugged in.

But is that contact clean and making solid contact? There is a M/B on Game Over farther along the same circuit, but it shouldn't be affecting the PF lites.

Capture (resized).PNG
    #5 5 months ago

Now, one of the small Playfield bulbs came on. Just one.

#6 5 months ago

I would check for some solder splash somewhere.

And not to criticize your soldering skills, but that's not a great solder job to begin with. Make sure your wires are not oxidized and freshly stripped, and that your iron is hot enough.

I'm assuming it's your GI? Did you check the fuse with a DMM?

#7 5 months ago

Agreed. Tight spot for soldering. Would that have any baring on Playfield lights?

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

Agreed. Tight spot for soldering. Would that have any baring on Playfield lights?

Generally speaking, if there was solder splash, it could mess up a lot of things, and if the soldering isnt hot enough, there wont be good electrical connection.

Is the relay near the GI fuse or anywhere near any of the lamps or wiring? Is it near the lock relay switch that Curriedog point out? Does that switch make solid connection when closed?

#9 5 months ago

Lock relay makes solid connection as it had before. Checked thoroughly for solder splash and covered area while soldering. This G/O coil is on the cabinet floor, not on playfield so no contact with lamps. Wires appear to be solid in solder. Again, would a poor solder job and these wires in particular effect the Playfield lights? Thanks for your help

#10 5 months ago

Have you tried metering out the GI circuit? You should be able to measure the voltage and see how far through the circuit it's getting.

You might have a wire that's barely hanging on but visually looks OK, and got bumped while you were doing the other repair.

#12 5 months ago

Can you start a game?

Is it one of those games where the GI doesnt light up until a game starts?

#13 5 months ago

To answer your question about the solder job, likely not, but something had happened while you were soldering that caused the issue.

I was just pointing out that poor solder jobs could result in a "fix" not fixing anything, or not lasting long, or solder splash causing other problems that may not be related.

#14 5 months ago

Can you trace the 6V going to the play field lights to see where you are losing it?

#15 5 months ago

How would I trace the 6V to the playfield lights?

#16 5 months ago

If you look at the schematic on IPDB, there are two 6V lines (marked A and B below) that come off the Lock Relay switches. Those 6V lines power the lights on the backbox and the playfield. "A" has the lights for the playfield. Use a meter to see if the 6V is coming off the Lock Relay switches.

You can also use the meter to see if the 6V is getting to the playfield.

Flip_Flop (resized).JPG
    #17 5 months ago

That yellow wire looks like it's stretched tight as a piano string...........

#18 5 months ago

The playfield lights have always been on whenever the power is on (plugged in). As soon as the game is plugged in, the Lock relay energizes and holds. Now, even though the Lock relay is energized and holding, the playfield lights don't come on as usual. I DMM the playfield light circuits from the fuse onward and all show continuity.

#19 5 months ago

It’s good that you have continuity. The next step is to see if the lights are getting 6V. Set you DMM to measure AC volts, find one of the non-working light sockets and measure across it with the DMM to see if there are 6V across it. Put the black lead of the DMM on the ground braid that is attached to the socket tab. Then put the red lead on the other tab of the light socket. If the light is on, you should see about 6V. If it’s not, you’ll get 0V.

If you are not getting 6V, then you need to continue measuring. Start at the lock relay and move towards the lights to see where the 6V is lost.

#20 5 months ago

All that aside, I am still wondering if my resoldering the wires on the Game over relay could have caused this?

#21 5 months ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

All that aside, I am still wondering if my resoldering the wires on the Game over relay could have caused this?

it could have. You might have bumped something inadvertently. I’ve done that several times.

#22 5 months ago

It appears that I managed to blow a number of bulbs on the playfield. Nothing else made sense. Extreme assumption, but apparently the correct one. Hopefully I have enough replacements! I'll let you know how it goes.

#23 5 months ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

It appears that I managed to blow a number of bulbs on the playfield. Nothing else made sense. Extreme assumption, but apparently the correct one. Hopefully I have enough replacements! I'll let you know how it goes.

So it was just a matter of blown bulbs? It sounded like no bulbs were working at all. Was that the case?

#24 5 months ago
    Quoted from flopflip:

You didn't solder that terminal with the machine turned on, did you?

1 week later
    #25 5 months ago

Did not soldier with machine on. Some bulbs were working which led me to check all bulbs. Thankfully, I did have enough replacement bulbs. That problem is solved! Thanks to all!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.40
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 90.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 89.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside