9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

repost pic.png
    #1 9 years ago

I don't know whether this is a bug or feature request, but is there a way to re-post a pic that's attached to another post? I feel bad uploading the same pic in multiple posts, but it seems like when I copy the attachment text from the original and paste it into a different post, the pic shows up in the preview, but not in the actual post.

#2 9 years ago

In this post, I'm going to try to re-post an attachment from another post:

// Error: Image 332137 not found //

I verified that it previews fine.

#3 9 years ago

But the pic doesn't show up in the post.

Here I've attached a screenshot of the preview from the previous post:
    repost pic.pngrepost pic.png

#4 9 years ago

This limitation was built in to avoid people being able to easily "steal" images from other posts as well as avoiding the posting of the same pics over and over. Yeah, I know, some still do.

It's interesting that it does work in preview mode.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Robin.

Is anyone even able to see the attachment code except the person who posted the image originally when editing the the post? Is stealing in this way even possible? I notice when quoting someone who has posted a pic, it doesn't quote the code for posting the image, just the image name. With regards to stealing, I think the work-around is to just download the attachment someone else posted and then upload it again, so it seems like stealing can still happen.

I agree that it could be abused by having the same person spamming threads with the same image, but I would think they could still do that by just uploading the image every time if they were motivated. The downside would be a higher amount of files being uploaded versus many references to the same file.

An argument in favor of the ability to re-post would perhaps be in a project thread where images are posted periodically as the thread grows, but maybe the original post is updated with milestones. Or if you have a separate project thread, but also want to post a milestone in a club thread for that game for greater exposure.

It's just a suggestion for something to think about. I'm able to accomplish what I want either way, but there may be more legitimate use of the ability to re-post than there would be abuse.

Thanks,
    Jim

#6 9 years ago

Thanks. Yes you're right, downloading and re-uploading is pretty much the same thing. I guess I'm mostly depending on this being a lot more work and that seems to help avoid "image-spamming", so to speak.

The image code can be generated by simply looking at the image url of someone's image upload. That's why the forum software only displays images if they were posted to the post that the image code refers to.

I can understand your use case and will give it some thought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-post-an-attachement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.