(Topic ID: 258519)

Re-pinning Gottlieb 80B PS

By Topher5000

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Topher5000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My Raven's been resetting & when I checked A2J2, pin 2, second from right, was hot & burning the housing.
I've noticed that jostling A1J1, where A2J2 pin 2 runs, used to help with the resetting. The sound sometimes goes loud enough that I have to unplug the sound card.
I'll re-pin A1J1 & take the PS into the local electronic supply & have J1 & J2 re-pinned. I'll get the pins for the housing from them, assuming that they're widely available.
What are the proper male & female pins that are required?
I've re-pinned the edge connectors but not the ones that slip over the pins. Are they hard to remove from the housing? It looks like you press the underside & pull the wire.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Chris. I think I ordered some from GPE a few years ago. I imagine that the place I take the boards to gets their parts from Digikey. If I don't have any, I'll take a look & see if they sell them.

2 months later
#4 4 years ago

Finally got around to this & got my parts yesterday. I thought I had trifurcons, but I have 08-03-0305 bifurcated. Will these work?

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Ed. Glad I asked.

2 weeks later
#7 4 years ago

Welp, I finally got around to this. I had been putting it off as there were lights stuck on, some were dim, others were out & it kept resetting. It seemed like it was one thing after another, but I felt this was a good time to get it going, at least without the resets.
I started by replacing A1J1. Checking voltages, I was getting them all over the place. At A1J1 I was getting 10.3v, turning it down I got 3.1v, nudging it up got 5.05v, but after a while it started resetting again.
I then replaced A2J2, as it was getting hot & had discoloured the housing, & set the voltage to 5v.
Lo & behold, everything works. The stuck on lights now flash, the ones that were out or dim now work & there's no resetting. Now I only have a few burned out lights & a stand up target to replace.
Lesson learned - Don't assume the worse & think if there could be a common cause for problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Topher5000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-pinning-gottlieb-80b-ps?tu=Topher5000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.