(Topic ID: 220387)

Re: Installing BW HD Leg Brackets Question (Doesn't sit flush)

By arcadenerd925

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180702_100901 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Figured while doing this FH restoration that I should install the better/beefier BW HD leg brackets (same ones installed in my new GB prem cab in the front)

However, as you can see in the pic, the sides don't sit flush.

Should I just fit some washers underneath on the side screws?

Let me know what you guys think.

20180702_100901 (resized).jpg20180702_100901 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

My 2 cents, insert your leg bolts, check fit and re-evaluate. Perhaps the leg bolts will draw the gap closed you can then fasten the bracket to the cab?

#3 5 years ago

hmm, ya mine was not perfect but space was not that large. I used the metal cabinet protectors out the outside, and because of that, I think when I tightened mine, it pulled the corner together no problem if that makes sense. Are you sure the mounts are not bent? They should be a perfect 90 degrees.

#4 5 years ago

I had this exact issue when installing these brackets in my AC/DC Luci VE a month ago. I can't believe nobody else mentioned it. I work in a machine shop that has a large selection of washers, so I just matched up washer thicknesses that were very close to, but not over the gap size and I tightened everything up with the washers in place. The corners of the cabinet haven't cracked yet and I'm quite the nudger, so I figure so far so good.

If I was to try to mount that bracket with the gap you have shown (and I experienced in my AC/DC), I figured I would strip the screws in the wood before the bracket ever bent out of shape enough to touch the side wall. I also did not want to take a chisel and scrape wood off the corner support to remover the gap, so washers it was.

Note: I checked the bend on my leg brackets and they were close to, but not perfectly 90 degrees. The wood corner block was just to thick to allow the flanges to sit flush with the sidewalls, exactly like the Funhouse pic above.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

My 2 cents, insert your leg bolts, check fit and re-evaluate. Perhaps the leg bolts will draw the gap closed you can then fasten the bracket to the cab?

Quoted from Soulrider911:

hmm, ya mine was not perfect but space was not that large. I used the metal cabinet protectors out the outside, and because of that, I think when I tightened mine, it pulled the corner together no problem if that makes sense. Are you sure the mounts are not bent? They should be a perfect 90 degrees.

Brackets look to be 90 to me, I think that corner piece of wood is just a bit too big. This is a sample FH so maybe those corner pieces are just slightly out of spec.

I feel like the gap is too big to be drawn in

Edit: I have the outside brackets installed already, so i feel like the corner is a solid 90 degrees

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I had this exact issue when installing these brackets in my AC/DC Luci VE a month ago. I can't believe nobody else mentioned it. I work in a machine shop that has a large selection of washers, so I just matched up washer thicknesses that were very close to, but not over the gap size and I tightened everything up with the washers in place. The corners of the cabinet haven't cracked yet and I'm quite the nudger, so I figure so far so good.
If I was to try to mount that bracket with the gap you have shown (and I experienced in my AC/DC), I figured I would strip the screws in the wood before the bracket ever bent out of shape enough to touch the side wall. I also did not want to take a chisel and scrape wood off the corner support to remover the gap, so washers it was.
Note: I checked the bend on my leg brackets and they were close to, but not perfectly 90 degrees. The wood corner block was just to thick to allow the flanges to sit flush with the sidewalls, exactly like the Funhouse pic above.

Thats what i was thinking (washers, < the gap) but wanted a sanity check to make sure I wasnt missing anything.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I am probably double posting this, but just in case (ha). This is what i was thinking, washers. The gap to me seems to big to pull it in.

#8 5 years ago

We solved this with 3D printed adapter brackets. I posted info on my BoP restore thread, you could download and print them.

#9 5 years ago

I talked to a guy who shimmed this with a paint stir stick from home depot. You can cut it so it is all clean and flush but the stir stick width was a perfect fit. Even painted it with the funhouse blue so it is almost invisible.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Figured while doing this FH restoration that I should install the better/beefier BW HD leg brackets (same ones installed in my new GB prem cab in the front)
However, as you can see in the pic, the sides don't sit flush.
Should I just fit some washers underneath on the side screws?
Let me know what you guys think.

I agree that you should put the leg bolts in loosely and re-center the bracket, which should distribute some of the gap on both sides. Then tighten the leg bolts (without the legs on) and it should pull to the cab evenly when you put in the screws.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I agree that you should put the leg bolts in loosely and re-center the bracket, which should distribute some of the gap on both sides. Then tighten the leg bolts (without the legs on) and it should pull to the cab evenly when you put in the screws.

This 1000%. You should never install the brackets without leg bolts (and preferably the leg) on there. That fit needs to be perfect

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 29.95
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-installing-bw-hd-leg-brackets-question-doesn-t-sit-flush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.