4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by toyotaboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

imagesF25SD0QT.jpg
    DraculaWinona.jpg
    CAM00345.jpg

#1 4 years ago

In the past I've avoided re-imported b/w pins, simply because I was always able to find a US market version of the title I was looking for. I now have a chance to purchase a re-imported game locally.

I feel like if you had two identical games, one being a US model 110v and the other being a Euro 230v, the US model should be more valuable to a US collector.

Conversely, if the buyer was in a European market they might pay more for a game originally designed for their market.

Therefore, this question is mainly intended for collectors; how much does a re-import affect the price? 0%, 5%, 10% ?

In my opinion, I'd rather have a game made for the US market, but would be willing to accept a re-import, however, I just don't want to overpay if there is a stigma about them here in the USA.

-Brian

#2 4 years ago

For me 0%, condition is the key. I suppose if I had 2 machines in the exact same condition at the exact same price I would pick the us version only because it matters to some.

#3 4 years ago

For a players machine, I could care less. It is all about condition. That is just me though/

#4 4 years ago

Only if you're a twit (if the power conversion was done properly)

#5 4 years ago

Only if you plan to route and need a proper coin mech or door ....and then it's minimal

#6 4 years ago

I just bought a re import wh20 and its in amazing original condition, even has a new us coin door which was a nice bonus. But the condition is what matters in the end . Theres only a few differences mainly the coin door and stickers. The harness is set up to do both so it dont matter as long as its right. Ive bought and sold many re imports and never had any issue or questions regarding if it was a re import.

#7 4 years ago

old days, a lot of folks would devalue reimports compared to US models...Today, really no difference...Condition means everything and if you are really bothered by it, change the voltage decals, paint the backbox warning, do slight modification to power supply box, and change coin door and no one would ever know the differences.

#8 4 years ago

Yeah, re-imports are basically worthless and you'd be crazy to buy one!!!

#9 4 years ago

I am completing a 3 year job assignment in Australia and just shipped back an extremely nice Indiana Jones (Williams). It has a "US" dual coin return coin door so not sure if it was different in the first place. I will be doing the voltage conversion but will leave the 220V decal. Call me crazy but I think it is cool to have a reimport souvenir from Aussie land. Not planning on selling but I doubt anyone would fault the machine for being a reimport.

Sad thing is I won't see the game for about 3 months which is what is will take to float back.

I did drop inside the game a large bag of Silica Gel Desiccant Moisture Absorber dehumidifier to hopefully help with any humidity issues. Might not last the whole 3 months but can't hurt.

G

#10 4 years ago

Pinballs here in EU have a lot of different coin doors depending on the country of origin.
    So our collections are mixed anyway and a USA model is not less worth or more then any other for us.

For example:
    belgian and france: mostly one coin door slot
    holland: 2 coin slots
    germany: 2 or 3 coin slots
    Switserland: one coin slot

So for us it doesn't matter at all. Allthough I like having original Belgium machines as I live there, but only for a decal and coin door, they are all the same.

#11 4 years ago

It's condition.

I've got some great condition container games, and I've got some quite poor ones. The value judgement should always be made on the condition, not where it came from.

#12 4 years ago

Yep, it definitely does (or can) IMO. There are enough people that justified or not, look at reimports as less desirable. I'm one of them, although I am starting to come around. But, all things equal I will take the US version everytime.

Although condition is king, I think it's more likely to be in worse shape since it made the trek across the ocean and back in a container.

I think you could get the same price as a domestic, but I think it will be a harder sale because there will be less demand (buyers that are turned off by reimports) especially if its a title that is readily available as a domestic. I sell a lot on Ebay and there would be less potential bidders and that usually equals a lower sale price.

#13 4 years ago

I've always heard re-imports devalued, but this thread is making me feel better about a couple titles I have. I suppose so long as the inside metal parts didn't get corroded from sitting in a moist container that's what really matters.

#14 4 years ago

Condition and market affect value , It would not make any difference to me if was a re import they were all made with the same parts in the same factory

#15 4 years ago

Condition is the ultimate factor however I would leverage the fact that it is a reimport in negotiating a lower price as a buyer.

Obviously people that own reimports (me included) want to say there is no difference.

#16 4 years ago

I would say 5 years back people tend to frown upon reimport games. But like everyone said times have changed and condition is key,

#17 4 years ago

Agree that condition is king, but re-imports always seem to have more hacks that their domestic counterparts which makes sense as some of these countries might not have access to parts.

#18 4 years ago

They're worth 10% of their domestic counterparts. PM me and I'll take them off your hands.

#19 4 years ago

Matters 0% to me!

#20 4 years ago

Yep, all about condition. I've seen plenty of reimports blow the doors off of domestic games. But on the other hand I've also seen reimports put together with lamp cord.

The things to look for with reimports are identical to any other game...wiring, boards, etc.

The only additional thing to be on the lookout for is overall condition of the machine. Some "container" games were shipped poorly and spent time stuck in salt air. They tend exhibit pitting on the metal and could have other hidden issues as a result.

But again, inspect before you buy and you are good to go!

#21 4 years ago

And I'll say the same thing everyone else is saying. It used to matter, and now it doesn't. A hacked game is a hacked game whether it was hacked in the USA or not. A beat up game is beat up no matter who didn't take care of it. As long as the conversion was done correctly, it is totally fine. Condition is now the only factor.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

In the past I've avoided re-imported b/w pins, simply because I was always able to find a US market version of the title I was looking for. I now have a chance to purchase a re-imported game locally.
    I feel like if you had two identical games, one being a US model 110v and the other being a Euro 230v, the US model should be more valuable to a US collector.-Brian

That doesn't make a difference. 20 mins, some connectors and some wire and you can swap between them all day long (for WPC games at least)

Condition, condition, condition.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think you could get the same price as a domestic, but I think it will be a harder sale because there will be less demand (buyers that are turned off by reimports) especially if its a title that is readily available as a domestic.

Wrong. I hear this a lot but I haven't seen it in practice. I've never had trouble getting my price on a nice re-import. Vast majority of buyers just don't care, and the small, LOUD group of people who do will probably find something else about your game to bitch about. It's like the people who won't buy a game without matching boards.

#24 4 years ago

i feel like in the past people just used it as a way to get games for cheaper. Does not hold up as well any longer.

#25 4 years ago

I just bought a Japan Import JP. I upgraded to the latest CPU and DMD software, and the only traces of Japan on it, is the plate nailed into the side of the head, and a few stickers inside the cabinet. Power had been converted over. So I have no problems with mine.

#26 4 years ago

All been said but for me it's about condition. I managaed to get a really nice Paragon recently, the best example of one I've laid eyes on (I've seen maybe nicer cabinets in some threads here but overall...). It was a German re-import and still has the DM coin plastics and German instruction cards. I could care less (actually left them in for my German friend to read when he came over) as the game is in outstanding condition and I wouldn't value it any less than the same condition US machine. Of course it's all on a person to person basis.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

I feel like if you had two identical games, one being a US model 110v and the other being a Euro 230v, the US model should be more valuable to a US collector.
    Conversely, if the buyer was in a European market they might pay more for a game originally designed for their market.
    Therefore, this question is mainly intended for collectors; how much does a re-import affect the price? 0%, 5%, 10% ?
    In my opinion, I'd rather have a game made for the US market, but would be willing to accept a re-import, however, I just don't want to overpay if there is a stigma about them here in the USA.
    -Brian

I have had numerous re imports that were trash, as well as lots of nice ones too! The same can be said of the domestic ones. Even had people decline them just because they ere imported back.

#28 4 years ago

Not really a fan of re-imports but condition is always the most important factor. There are crappy USA games just as there are horrible re-imports. I have a GNR re-import from Japan and enjoy it immensely! The factory shaker motor is a pretty cool feature too!

#29 4 years ago

Doesn't matter to me. I've had several re-imports - TFTC x2, DESW and The Shadow. No big deal to me and the TFTC and DESW sold for top dollar, so those buyers didn't mind either.

I actually like the look of the import coin slots better - especially the single coin slot in the middle of the door. Just looks cool.

Only issues I had with a few was the service outlet wasn't re-connected during the conversion.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's like the people who won't buy a game without matching boards.

That one always makes me laugh. If you are buying a collector quality better than new game, well sure, you are paying a massive premium and you want things like matching boards. Other than that, come on, who cares as long as they work.

#31 4 years ago

Don't forget about the wicked cabinet mods they do across the pond.
    CAM00345.jpg

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

-Brian

Just ship them back in the same container, i will take those re-imports of your hands, if it bothers you

#33 4 years ago

Condition of course.. But truthfully I enjoy owning a re-import because it smells different. My BSD has that Euro/German lurker smell that is a welcomed foreign guest in my house. (PLUS: more prototypes went to Europe)
    imagesF25SD0QT.jpg

#34 4 years ago

I'll be able to weigh in on this more shortly. My Fish Tales is a re-import from Italy. It arrived in the harbor on Monday, but apparently I won't be able to actually get it until early next week. I'll update as I know more when I actually get to see the machine.

#35 4 years ago

...messed up editing a typo in my message and accidentally posted.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

but apparently I won't be able to actually get it until early next week

It is sounding like the person doing the importing forgot about the $ he would need to get them through customs.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

My Fish Tales is a re-import from Italy. It arrived in the harbor on Monday.

Fish Tales arriving in the harbor...sounds appropriate.

Quoted from PoMC:

...messed up editing a typo in my message and accidentally posted.

Been there. But I usually try to come up with another comment to cover up my mistake.

#38 4 years ago

I don't think it has much (if any) impact on price. Condition is king! However, it does slightly limit your number of buyers as there are a few collectors that snub there noses at anything re-imported. That being said, if any pin has sat for months in a sea-container it might be a little rusty which of course effects condition and hence price. Condition is king (re-import or domestic).

The biggest issue is that most re-imports were probably bought sight unseen and as in most cases pictures always make things appear better than in person.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

I don't think it has much (if any) impact on price. Condition is king! However, it does slightly limit your number of buyers as there are a few collectors that snub there noses at anything re-imported.

Like I said, who wants to deal with them anyway? Anybody who isn't buying your game solely because it's a re-import will have a half a dozen other problems with your machine.

#40 4 years ago

Yip.. they are worth less as they have had twice the power through them.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Fish Tales arriving in the harbor...sounds appropriate.

Been there. But I usually try to come up with another comment to cover up my mistake.

I was thinking for a few seconds, and was like, I got nothing else.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Yip.. they are worth less as they have had twice the power through them.

Though they received twice the juice they received nearly 20% less hurts (hertz).

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

they received twice the juice

actually it's the same (wattage). it's twice the voltage, but half the amps. And since wiring is rated for amps and not volts, anything running on 230V could in theory have less stress.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside