(Topic ID: 28421)

Re-Import Bally stuck on spanish language?

By gorgar007

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Tomcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Re-import WPC95 machine has been turned into a different game, and it's stuck on spanish. If I attempt to change to english it just doesnt take the setting - but it seems to take other settings.

I've had weird issues with the dip-switches so I'm thinking it could be a dip switch issue. For a while the game wouldn't boot unless it was on the european dip switch settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Was there ever any battery damage to the board ?

LTG

#3 11 years ago

No battery damage visible to me. The machine had dead batteries on arrival but I've replaced them.

Speaking of that the batteries gave me trouble with the euro dip settings. It would work the first pass but after the memory saved, i'd need to tinker with the dip settings before it would boot.

#4 11 years ago

I could be completely off here, but I thought the WPC security chips contained the region as well?

Couldn't hurt verifying the program rom too..

#5 11 years ago

Language on WPC-95s is set by the bank of DIP switches.

They should all either be ON, or OFF. Either will work, so long as they are all set to the same.

#6 11 years ago

John,
    I double checked the dip switches. I tried both all ON and all OFF, the dip switch test menu recognizes the settings as USA but the settings will still not allow me to change from Espanol.

It's strange because all settings say (factory setting) underneath, except for Language. It says that English is the factory setting but it's not the default, and I cannot switch to it.

#7 11 years ago

The language you can change from within the diagnostics menus. You can also change the language back to English by cutting a couple resistors off of the CPU board.

#8 11 years ago

I've been trying via the diagnostics menu but no luck there. The default is espanol when it should be factory setting of English. When you try to change the setting, it wont stick. Other settings stick just fine - but language will not.

I've convinced myself to send the boards to Clive. I have two other issues and I'm starting to think the boards need some attention. Clive's reaction to this language problem (as well as LTG's response above) was battery leakage.

When I get these boards back I'll report the results back to this thread.

#9 11 years ago

it's possible the batteries leaked and took out some traces, I'm sure Clive can determine if that's the case.

Changing the language in diagnostics menu is a poor choice. If the batteries ever go dead, it defaults to that language.

WPC-95 games have DIP switches, as do WPC-S, and the later WPC-89 games. There are no resistors to cut on these games.

On earlier WPC-89 games, W14-W18 set default language. All in = English. All out = English.

#10 11 years ago

I had a BSD that had the same issue which was a later WPC game and to resolve it I cut all the jumper resistors next to J204. I believe WPC-S games also had the jumpers. I missed the WPC-95 piece and yes the CPU board does have the dip switches. Thanks for breaking that down John.

1 month later
    #11 11 years ago

FYI

My boards had multiple issues, so I sent them to Clive. The boards are no longer stuck on Spanish, but I don't have a root cause as to why they were before. The clearest indication is the game ROM, which Clive replaced. Unfortunately he didn't send back my old ROM so I can't swap them out to test.

Clive's response on replacing the game rom:
    Some of the 'aftermarket' ROMs seen at the shop in boards from customers have had faults as most are re-used (erased then reprogrammed) ICs and not tested in boards prior to being sold. The ROM was replaced to be on the safe side.

List of what was repaired:
    WPC-95 CPU board (AFM, Ser# 50753102494): New 84-pin PLCC ASIC socket. Cleaned ASIC. 74LS14 IC (U5) and 14-pin socket. 4.7uf/63v/105c (C73) and 2x 100uf/25v/105c (C22, C31) capacitors. MC34064 Reset Supervisor IC (U10). ULN2803A IC. Attack from Mars version 1.13B Game ROM (NOS 20C080). Reflow all headers, RAM, ROM microprocessor, PIC, U23 and ULN2803A sockets. Added remote battery pack system.

WPC-95 Power Driver board (Ser# 53341102290 with previous repairs): P600D rectifier (D21 -- excessive voltage drop). P600D rectifier (D11 -- showing heat damage, changed in prior repairs). Fuses checked; -- F104 (4 amp), F108 (6A), F109 (4 amp ) slow blow fuses due to incorrect values installed. ULN2803A IC (U3) and 18-pin machined socket (due to high failure rate). Filter capacitors measure; 2x 100uf/50v/105c (C1, C40) and 2x 100uf/100v/105 (C22, C23) due to being out-of-tolerance. Removed wired links from GI area and installed 8x zero ohm resistors plus 6 traces patched. 7812 voltage regulator. J101, J103, J104, J105 and J106 high temperature headers. Various points reflowed.

#12 11 years ago

Ok - completely different preconditions. WPC pin from France, dip switches were set to french, display was set to german in the menu. I left the dips at their settings and switched the language back to english (german spelling on B/W pins is horrible...). Worked perfectly.

If I remember the documentation correctly, the language options included english, french and german. Maybe spanish wasn't considered one of the "common" languages and hat to be set differently.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-import-bally-stuck-on-spanish-language and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.