2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

I500 Motor (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

The Turbo lock in my I-500 machine started making intermittent noise when rotating so I believe it needs to be re-greased. I removed it but can't figure out an easy way to get into the gearbox, or if I even need to. The unit appears to be well sealed so there is certainly a possibility that the noise could have been coming from outside it, not sure. Anyone else experience this and solve it?
I500 Motor (resized).jpgI500 Motor (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

I believe the proper term for that is the “Turbo Bobby”

Sorry, I’m no help in the gearbox. Most of those things on pinball games are riveted shut. You could try and drill out the rivets but remember, the enemy of good is better. You need to weigh out if you will do more damage than good.

Maybe try running the motor and gearbox outside the game to see if it’s making the noise?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Cwest:

The Turbo lock in my I-500 machine started making intermittent noise when rotating so I believe it needs to be re-greased. I removed it but can't figure out an easy way to get into the gearbox, or if I even need to. The unit appears to be well sealed so there is certainly a possibility that the noise could have been coming from outside it, not sure. Anyone else experience this and solve it?
[quoted image]

Drill out those rivets with some proper metal cutting drill bits. Add some cutting fluid to prevent heat build up, then inspect.

2 weeks later
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Drill out those rivets with some proper metal cutting drill bits. Add some cutting fluid to prevent heat build up, then inspect.

Drilled all 4 out only as deep as I needed to in order to maintain as much thread in there as possible. Re-greased the gears and reinstalled. Added a screw to the 4th staked fastener (the one not using the hex post) to secure the cover in absence of the staked clinch that was drilled out. Reinstalled and the problem went away. Thanks for the advise.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Cwest:

Drilled all 4 out only as deep as I needed to in order to maintain as much thread in there as possible. Re-greased the gears and reinstalled. Added a screw to the 4th staked fastener (the one not using the hex post) to secure the cover in absence of the staked clinch that was drilled out. Reinstalled and the problem went away. Thanks for the advise.

Awesome news!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

€ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-greasing-turbo-gearbox-indy-500-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.