7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sneakerpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I was getting a lot of intermittent harsh "scratching" inteference in my audio on X's and O's. It sounds like the "dirty potentiometer" sound, but without actually moving the pot wiper. It would come and go, and generally be an annoyance.

As the sound board is original, I thought, if I re-capped the board, it might help, or eliminate the problem.

I carefully replaced the capacitors (4 in total), noting polarity. I bought the kit from Great Plains.

Now, my audio is barely audible when playing the machine.

I have two potentiometers. One on the sound board labeled VR-1, as well as another on the coin door. The VR-1 seems to adjust the bias of an amplifier on the board, as pushing it too far, distorts the sound. The potentiometer on the coin door, seems to adjust volume.

Both pots worked prior to the 'fix', and still function now, albeit, at a low volume.

The only difference in the GPE kit vs the original spec, is the voltage ratings of the new capacitors are all 25v and the original caps are 25v max to 6v min. Is this the issue?

I'd hate to replace more parts now. Uhhhhh!

I cut the old caps off the board and de/soldered to get new ones in, so I'd rather not try and put the old ones back on, I would have to eliminate all these new capacitors...

Well, any ideas, I would be happy to hear them! I have the schematics.

Thanks,
Tim

#3 7 years ago

Checked all capacitor values, they are identical except max voltage range, which I understand is OK as well.

Must be a bad capacitor, a short, or some other component. -shrugs-

#4 7 years ago

* UPDATE *

Reflowed solder connections at the replaced capacitors, all is working now and scratchy sounds are also gone. Thanks wayout440

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 85.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sneakerpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-capped-bally-cheep-squeak-now-audio-output-is-very-low?tu=sneakerpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.