New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 112881)

Re-BEarthshaker

By Cheddar

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 43 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5018.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5020.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG
caddie.jpg
SL2.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
IMAG0670.jpg
IMAG0669.jpg
IMAG0667.jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I picked up this desolate earthshaker a week ago. Posting to the "What did you bring home today" thread I was told that it had been dropped off a truck while being moved. The head was shattered.

IMAG0291.jpg

I dragged the pieces into my garage. Aside from the cut wires leading to the backbox GI everything appeared to be complete.

I plugged everything in and with a little help from my friend I was able to turn it on and play a quick game.

IMAG0363.jpg

I salvaged the head pieces and got them to alwaysrockin777's place to be rebuilt. He's making a new head out of 3/4 AA Red Birch Ply. This is left over as scrap from a previous job and is way nicer than what is required. Today he sent me a pic of the head with the holes drilled and ready for priming.

IMAG0370.jpg

I picked up some paint from Kelly Moore, the color Inky Sea is a great match. I'll use this on the head and the cabinet when it is ready.

To top off my day: The new backglass came in!

IMAG0377.jpg

To Do:
1. Straighten the cabinet
2. Repair and repaint cab
3. Deep clean playfield and new rubbers
4. Repair the backbox gi wiring.

I'll post more as it moves along

#2 5 years ago

My hat's off to ya for working to bring this one back! Lots of work but a great game and worth it for sure.

#3 5 years ago

Nice! way to rescue a pin that most would have thrown on the trash heap. Very curious as to what you paid for it.

#4 5 years ago

Well it was cheap enough to justify the effort!

#5 5 years ago

Best part was he let me steal one of his nice speaker grills off of it in payment for making the 6 hour round trip to get it for him.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Best part was he let me steal one of his nice speaker grills off of it in payment for making the 6 hour round trip to get it for him.

Damn! now that's a good friend!

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Damn! now that's a good friend!

Well, lets be honest...I wanted it for me, I am no saint...was gonna scavenge from it to improve mine. But after driving up there and looking at it decided I didn't want to tackle the project and gave Cheddar first dibs on it. And shocker he bit, lol.

#9 5 years ago

Both of you are lucky I was busy with my tournament and didnt pick the game up myself when I got first dibs on it from the seller.

Good luck cheddar. You've got the tools and the talent close by to pull this off.

Lucky I didnt get it. I wanted to relocate the boards into the cab and keep it an amputee. Maybe make a large institute foe the backbox that drops into the cab lol.

#10 5 years ago

Nice! Can't wait to see the progress!
--Scott

#11 5 years ago

Scott, I'm hoping my mid-2015 project can be an aftershock conversion. I need to read up on that thread

#12 5 years ago

I've emptied the cabinet for repair/repaint.

Meanwhile I'm cleaning the playfield and getting all the broken glass out of it. The ramps seem decent with only 1 major crack.
IMAG0404.jpg

There's some sort of clear on this playfield. I don't see XR7 written on it so maybe someone else did it.
IMAG0406.jpg

2 weeks later
#13 5 years ago

Time for an update.

The cabinet is off for straightening and repainting. I've ordered the decals.

In the interim I've decided to have the playfield restored so I've stripped it down. This was a pain. For every post I removed it seemed like these options were in play:

1. The post came off without issue
2. The post would shear off due to the loc-tite on the threads (about 10 posts)
3. The t-nut would spin in the wood (about 6)

To handle #3 I would use a wood screw to pin the t-nut in place.

To save strain on the harness as I worked with it I removed the coils form the mechs. The mechs go into a bag to be cleaned and the coil (still attached to the harness) got a tag with it's assembly name. When I moved the harness off of the playfield I noticed the difference in weight and effort.

Finally I started removing the mylar. I started in the pops area as it is a small spot. Freeze spray did a good job getting the mylar off and it took about a minute. The glue on the other hand was a pain. I started with goo gone and it did nothing no matter how long I waited. I switched to 91% alcohol and magic eraser and it did the trick. I lost a little art on one of the inserts. I had ordered new insert decals for some lifted inserts so it's not too big of an issue. This experience has made me decide not to pull the rest of the mylar myself. It's worth the money to me for my restorer to do it with all of his experience.

So I need to finish cleaning the playfield and remove the rails before I ship it off. Here are some pics of it stripped.

2015-01-09 07.04.37.jpg
2015-01-09 07.04.43.jpg

Once the playfield is out I will start working on cleaning the mechs and the harness to get it ready to go back in.

The cabinet should be ready for decals next week.

#14 5 years ago

Progress.

The rails were a pain to get off. Heat worked well for the front half but the back half did not want to let go without serious coercion. I assume it's because of the compression of the hinges or something like that. The cab was really tweaked and took a lot of glue and clamps. We'll probably add a couple more wedges inside to help.
Glued and braced
Nice tight corner
I got the decals from planetary. They look sweet. I need to remember to get the cab protectors that hold the legs off the cabinet.
New decals
Finally I shipped the playfield off to CaptainNeo this morning for restoration. This will be a level 2 restore (only the visible areas). I may ask for a level 3 but first I need to know how the varnish reacts with the clear.
2015-01-12 09.12.30.jpgBack

Prior to shipping hit the back with some 120 grit to clean up all the carbon and other nasties.

#15 5 years ago

Impressive. You got skills! Can't wait to see her all put back together

#16 5 years ago

I have some skills. I also have the skills to find a great cabinet guy and restorer!

#17 5 years ago

Good on you for making the rescue! Looks like it will turn out nice

1 week later
#18 5 years ago

The cabinet repair in near completion. The base has been squared with a little extra bracing to strengthen the bottom. Here it is primed.20150122_091252_Maggio_Cir.jpeg

Next the interior was shot.20150122_152409_Maggio_Cir.jpeg

First coat on the outside20150122_152919_Maggio_Cir.jpeg

The surface is so smooth you can eat off this thing

The new backbox looks good in blue20150122_153502_Maggio_Cir-737.jpeg

#19 5 years ago

Sweet! Cab is lookin good!

#20 5 years ago

Nice save...ES well worth the effort.

If this will work I did one back in 2009. From smoking dead back to life.

http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?topic=1957.msg16806#msg16806

#21 5 years ago

cant wait to see this finished!

1 week later
#22 5 years ago

CaptainNeo sent me some pics of the playfield in progress. He has done:

mylar removal
leveled inserts that needed it (inserts w/o art in pics)
wood repair (inlanes, skill shot drops)
first layer clear
some touch ups (yellow looks amazing already)
insert decals and some keylining (not pictured)
second layer of clear to protect decals (not pictured)

The cap does beautiful work and has been a joy to work with. I know I'm being a pain bugging him for pics but he has been great to work with. But there aren't alot of examples of in progress playfield resto out there.

Here are some pics (posted with permission)
in process 010.jpgin process 011.jpgin process 012.jpgin process 013.jpgin process 014.jpgin process 015.jpg

1 week later
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Scott, I'm hoping my mid-2015 project can be an aftershock conversion. I need to read up on that thread

This thread is making me want to restore my Earthshaker. It is next in line for a restore.

I agree. I would like to do an Aftershock conversion on mine, if Scott will quit wasting all that time sleeping at night and finish the thing already.

#24 5 years ago

I've got some approval pics. My playfield is near ready.
approval 2 001.jpgapproval 2 002.jpgapproval 2 003.jpgapproval 2 004.jpg

#25 5 years ago

that's a nice paint job! can't wait until the final product

#26 5 years ago

That playfield cleaned up nicely. Looking forward to seeing it all put back together.

#27 5 years ago

The playfield is on it's way back. Can't populate the top for 30+ days to let the clear cure. I'll post some pics when I get it.

I'll be working on the cabinet and cleaning assemblies until then. The weather has been warm enough in California to get a coat of clear on the cabinet before I decal it.

#28 5 years ago

I played earthshaker tonight very aussom game and two thumbs up on your restore looking good

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

Got the playfield back. It looks awesome. I'm still working on the harness so I'll let it cure for a bit before I start installing. Thanks CaptainNeo

IMAG0670.jpgIMAG0669.jpgIMAG0667.jpg

#30 5 years ago

Thanks for reminding me I need to send out my extra PF to be restored.

#31 5 years ago

WOW! Looks awesome. Neo does good work. Good job man!
--Scott

#32 5 years ago

Neo's the man! Thanks for the good words!

I just found out my cab is coming back tonight. I'll get some pics up tonight!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I'll get some pics up tonight!

Can't wait to see the pics!
I have a near perfect cleared one to show you what it may look like put together...

IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
SL2.jpg
caddie.jpg

#34 5 years ago

I finally took some better pics. Here's the cab fresh from the shop. Still has the shop dust on it.
IMG_5015.JPGIMG_5016.JPG
Here's some better pics of the playfield
IMG_5018.JPGIMG_5021.JPGIMG_5020.JPG

#35 5 years ago

The cab guy couldnt even take a min and wipe down your cab and head? What a jerk! Hahaha.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

The cab guy couldnt even take a min and wipe down your cab and head? What a jerk! Hahaha.

Yeah, I am gonna wanna a discount now when he does work for me, lol.

1 week later
#37 5 years ago

Yeah progress,

I started repopulating the cabinet. I didn't want to be working with the stapler with the decals on so I did it first. I ultrasoniced the braid and it did a very nice job. I polished the flat parts but only cleaned and sanded the grills. This is my first time polishing parts. You could spend years polishing every part on a machine.
IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG

This is my first time putting on decals. Slow and steady seems to be the way to go. I'm using the wet method. The only downside I see is having to wait between sides.
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG

#38 5 years ago

Nice

#39 5 years ago

This is awesome! I dream about finding a pin in this condition and bringing it back to life. Please keep us posted on the progress. Excellent quality work your doing on a very worthy pin!

#40 5 years ago

Excellent work thus far. Congrats on reviving a pin from the dead for sure.

#41 5 years ago

sweet! can't wait until the final product

#42 5 years ago

Lookin sweet. Are you going to put the HD leg braces inside?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Lookin sweet. Are you going to put the HD leg braces inside?

Yeah, I thought I had them but I only have 1. I'm just waiting to see what else I need to order.

#44 5 years ago

Can you describe the work done to the backbox? How did you repair scrapes and chipped corners, etc?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Can you describe the work done to the backbox? How did you repair scrapes and chipped corners, etc?

The backbox was in pieces. I had a new one built by alwaysrockin777. You can see it pre paint here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-bearthshaker#post-2116961 . He did straighten, re-glue, fill, sand, and repaint the cab though. I'll see if I can get him to weigh in with some insight into the process.

#46 5 years ago

I'm doing (my first) strip down of an earthshaker. Couldn't pick a less populated playfield (NO, that would be too easy).

Anyway, how do you (safely) remove the wire lane guides (that look like they are held in by pressure) or some of the lane guides up top that look like they are (for lack of the correct term) hammered into the playfield?

Once removed, how do you reinstall them?

Do you know if the clearcoat will fill the little holes? Will they have to be enlarged?

Thanks

#47 5 years ago

I took those guides off last. I put a small cutting board on the playfield. The I used the claw of a hammer to gently lift them. Go side to side to avoid bending the wire or stretching the hole.

You will need to redrill the hole to open the clear. Press in with hand pressure. Then place a small piece of wood across the end of the wire and tap the wood with a hammer to reseat. Go 1/8th inch at a time per side. The guide should be slightly higher than the center of a pinball.

#48 5 years ago

Hi,

what color code of paint did you use? Is this a Valspar number?
I might want to repaint my cabinet and re-decal it too.

#49 5 years ago

I hate spinning t-nuts.

OK, so I broke some metal posts (inside plastic), anyone know best place to get those?

I also now hate the locktite they used.

What did you do (if anything) to clean the locktite product out of the t-nut and off the post / screws?

When reinstalling, I was thinking of using the locktite that you can break (I think it's the light blue).

Also, I would like to replace the black plastic spacers that were used on top of the playfield (most seem to be deformed, slightly melted).

Finally, I would like to get a set of plastics, mine are OK but not great. No idea if CPR will reprint, hope they will soon.

Also, I would like to know the paint, I'm not going to repaint the cabinet (outside) but I do want to do the inside.

Man this project is so much bigger than I thought. I hope I can get this thing back together.
(First timer, I have tons of pictures)

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from rmillman:

I hate spinning t-nuts.
OK, so I broke some metal posts (inside plastic), anyone know best place to get those?
I also now hate the locktite they used.
What did you do (if anything) to clean the locktite product out of the t-nut and off the post / screws?
When reinstalling, I was thinking of using the locktite that you can break (I think it's the light blue).
Also, I would like to replace the black plastic spacers that were used on top of the playfield (most seem to be deformed, slightly melted).
Finally, I would like to get a set of plastics, mine are OK but not great. No idea if CPR will reprint, hope they will soon.
Also, I would like to know the paint, I'm not going to repaint the cabinet (outside) but I do want to do the inside.
Man this project is so much bigger than I thought. I hope I can get this thing back together.
(First timer, I have tons of pictures)

Posts can be found at most suppliers. I think I got mine from pinball life.

When re-installing, don't bother with loctite, its not needed.

No idea where to get spacers, but check your favorite suppliers, they may have em.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
3,100 (Firm)
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gresham, OR
1,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside