You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4555 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_4552 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stack15.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Well I bought a RCT yesterday. All was well. I added a few LEDs and some undercab lights. And I pushed it into place.

Well today the game randomally reset while in attract mode. Now the mini display has the bottom row out as well as every other column out. It appears to be toast.

The little flipper on the left side no longer works either. I reseated all of the connections and found a hack on CN5. I am not sure if that is related to the flipper or not.

I don't have a bunch of time right now but does anyone have any ideas here? Thanks.

I did disconnect the undercab lights. That didn't fix anything.

#2 7 years ago

Pictures.

You can't read much on the mini display with the row and so many columns out. The other picture is of the CN5 connector.

IMG_4552 (resized).JPGIMG_4552 (resized).JPG

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Other weird thing - may not mean anything - it's a four ball game. If I take all the balls out it says three balls missing. That is probably unrelated but still weird.

#4 7 years ago

The CN5 connector doesn't seem to control flippers or the mini screen. I completely unplugged it and no change to either.

#5 7 years ago

Well I have determined that everything on the green drive transistor control line has stopped working. Problem is I don't see a green wire connected to anything on the "green" line.

So I am not sure what to do.

#8 7 years ago

I unplugged and replugged every connector in the backbox. Some of them three times - J9 and J10.

The ball trough switch four (opto) is active and I am pretty sure that is wrong. However I can get it to test in switch test mode which is weird. The only other active switch is for the drop target that is down.

The entire green line is out. So yes it does sound like a short somewhere. What's weird is I can't find a green wire attached to anything on the green line.

Several of the inserts are out too. I just put new LEDs in them and swapping with other bulbs doesn't bring them back. This is probably an easier fix but I am not really sure on how to find what to fix.

I'm going to fix that board hack at CN5 but I don't think it is related. In the manual I couldn't find any fuse related to all of the things that are out. The fuses all pass a visual inspection. In the past with other games I have owned, a blown fuse has always been obvious.

I really want to keep this game but I am highly tempted to offer it in a trade plus cash for a working game.

#9 7 years ago

A recap of what happened:

1. Bought the game. All worked fine at seller's house.

2. Got the game home and set it up. All works fine.

3. Changed the shooter rod, installed undercab lights, put in some LEDs. All works fine.

4. Pushed the game (using sliders) into its spot. Played it once. All works fine.

5. Took a nice picture of the new lineup. All works fine.

6. Cleaning the gameroom. RCT goes "beep" and resets. When it comes back online the mini screen has the bottom row and multiple columns out. I play ball one of a new game and notice the mini flipper (upper left) is out. The game resets mid ball. All is not fine.

#12 7 years ago

I did all of the wiring harness stuff already. I think the problem is the CN5 connector. The green wire passes through there and it is burnt on that end.

I didn't inspect the backbox at all when buying the game.

As for the fuses, in 7 years and 53 games I have never had a fuse blown that wasn't obviously blown. I have followed the "take all the fuses out and play with the multimeter" advice before. To be honest I would have no idea if they were good or not that way anyway.

The playfield is rather off track. It sits in fine when down but rubs or even sits on the shooter rod. So you're right. Something might be wrong under there.

Anyways the CN5 connector - here is a picture of it unplugged.

IMG_4555 (resized).JPGIMG_4555 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

More CN5...

I am going to pack the game up and take it to the fixit place. This is above my skill level.

Also of note. Just for fun I replaced every fuse with new fuses. That did nothing.

#16 7 years ago

I am thinking it is the brunt molex connector and possibly a transistor on the board. I dropped the game off yesterday to get fixed. I should have it back in two or three weeks. I am hoping the mini DMD isn't fried.

I will update the post once I have the diagnosis. Thank you!

1 week later
#17 7 years ago

The through opto has been fixed. I was kind of back and forth if that was even a problem.

The upper left flipper, mini DMD and a few lights remain out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stack15.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rct-problems?tu=Stack15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.