Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by quickstop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all, I have a dillema, I trying to decide which pin to pursue...they're both a 3-4 drive from me and I cannot buy both....but I'm interested in opinions from folks who've actually played both, which would you buy. I tend to hold on to my pins for a couple of years or longer before I get tired and trade them. The MSF is average priced at 1500.00..the RCT under 2k, both are in decent shape (have not seen them except for photos).TIA

#2 11 years ago

MSF by a million miles

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

MSF by a million miles

yup

#4 11 years ago

Robert it seems you had MSF and traded it, what was good and bad about it..did you get tired of it fast?

#5 11 years ago

I had it for 3 years....But honestly only got to play it for the last year (long story)....

The Good:

Excellent Sound - You get your choice of the Edgar Winters Rock beat or the Original Sound Track from the movie. The EW beat is very addicting and I loved the sound

Nice Playfield layout - Two holes (sarcophagus and Geneva) plus a hidden Vuk (ice cave) that is only accessible from the upper right flipper. Lots of shots from that upper right flipper so it wasn't just an afterthought to add a third flipper for the sake of it. You have the left orbit which is similar to TSPP that you have to shoot through a bank of pops. A right orbit with spinner. A very unique lock with storing the balls in Frankensteins hands (he throws them at you to start Multiball).

Lots of targets - They are standups, not drops, but I like games with targets, and there's a lot of them to spell Frankenstein to start the various modes.

Huge DMD - Nice DOTs/Animations that are clear due to the large DMD

Unique Multiball - Two ball multiball that then starts upto a six ball Multiball (counts down so you have to be accurate with your shot to maximize MB).

Cool Ball Launch - What's not to like about shooting the ball by throwing the switch to energize Frankenstein

The Bad:

The PF art is good but it is also a bit uniform in color. Mostly Orange/Yellow/Brown, so not alot of pop. But it's true to the film and not garrish either.

Huge DMD - Make sure the DMD is sound. They are scarce and if you do find one they are $450. They are also non-repairable for the most part as most of the components are surface mount and sealed behind the glass.

Unique Multiball - it really takes a bit of skill to start multiball in the game. You have to hit the ramp 4 times to just light lock. Then you hit the North Pole to lock one ball into Frankenstein's hand. That starts a two ball multiball. Then you need to lock the ball again in the North Pole within a certain time to start a larger multiball that counts down from 6. However, there's also the regular Geneval Multiball with is easier to obtain (spell Geneva by hitting the lit Geneva hole six times).

Frankensteins Head - Make sure the servo controlling Frankie's head is operational. It's difficult to troubleshoot the board without a scope, so if it's not working correctly, you'll end up hunting for a board/motor to resolve.

I had the game along with TFTC (usually regarded as better and one of the top DE pins), and ended up playing MSF more. The only reason I sold it (didn't trade it), is I can only have 3 pins setup in my space, and I have a line on one of my grail pins, so I'm using the funds/space from MSF to go after it.

#6 11 years ago

i'd take rct over msf anyday. either way, their both cheap bangs for the buck. that's the good thing

#7 11 years ago

Owned both, both games are crap.

MSF is a clunkfest and RCT will take about 2 hours to master, even at the hardest settings. for $1,500 maybe DM since you have Dredd and JM. Hell or any system 11. Elvira, Earthshaker, Taxi even.

#8 11 years ago

MSF plays a lot like JP. A *lot*. That's a really good thing.

RCT plays like... I don't even know how to explain it, honestly. It's got tons of wireforms that look cool, and lots of shots, and I just can't bring myself to play it for more than 15 minutes tops. It's one of my least favorite modern Sterns, and I wouldn't ever bring one into the gameroom.

I'd buy MSF all day.

#10 11 years ago

RCT... its a fun game with a fun theme......not a fan of Frankie

#11 11 years ago

RCT. I'm a fan and so were visitors.
Simple and attractive. I got to the point I could double park tycoon on a three ball game so I sold it. One of the few of the 20+ I have sold that I miss.
MSF - nah clunky nice cab - thats the only thing I liked on it.

#12 11 years ago

Frankenstein is a fun game. The worst thing about it I would say is the lock rules, see the IPDB rule sheet. I love the Edgar Winter music, haven't see the movie so for me the original soundtrack is "cool" but not that special. Gotta love that "UUUUGH!!'

#13 11 years ago

Never played MSF, but RCT is a great, fun Lawler game that I would love to own someday.
Big hit with non-pinheads as well.

#14 11 years ago

Easily MSF. I didn't think I would like it, but after playing it a few times I bought one and don't regret it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
$ 259.00
$ 36.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rct-or-msf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.