(Topic ID: 56946)

RCade's X-Men full Bowen mod. Attempt #1.....

By Rcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG1432.jpg
IMAG1430.jpg
photo-1.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo.JPG
photo-3.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-1.JPG
photo.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Okay, so we all love adding a little "something" to our XMs in the form of figures and such. I got the Disney little figures, but I thought they look too "kiddie", and didn't really mesh well with how big Mags and Wolvie were, just looked out of place. So I got rid of them and I've had the Beast and Cyclops Bowen Mini-busts in my XM for a while now, and I love them because they look classy and go together with the esthetic of the machine perfectly, IMO. But with all the repainting of Mags and Wolvie, as well as the suggestion of pursuing finding an alternate choice to the current massive Wolvie toy, I decided to take the plunge and experiment with replacing My Magneto and Wolvie with Bowen Mini-Busts of themselves, so now all figures are Bowen sculpts and go together nicely.

Took me FOREVER to get the Wolvie moded so that it would mount......but I did it.....and it works.

I'll post some pics, but just know:

-I'm not good with my hands,lol. My pin play should show you as much . But I'm also not very good with tools, so I did all the drilling and cutting of the resin Wolvie bust with a Dremel. I didn't have any fancy drill bits or anything that probably would have made it 1,000x's easier than it turned out to be for me....so it IS possible to get a better fit and look than I got if you're more of a handy man.

-Thanks to my 3 year old daughter, one of Wolvie's claws broke off. So that's why it's missing, and I'll be epoxying it back on tomorrow....

-I had to remove the Wolvie head lamp. It was pretty useless anyways.

-Mags it held in place by double sided craft glue tape. Dude ain't moving anytime soon or later. very solid and reversable and a helluva lot easier to remove than the stock Mags.

-I had to give Mags a tiny lobotomy. The crown of his head was too tall, and shaving the base down meant shaving off the flag and would have possibly blocked the Clops shot. So I Dremel'ed off the top of the head and color matched it. Looks pretty good. Again, will look better if you're actually adept at modding and even leveling.

-was taking the pics with my iPod, thus the quality :p

....okay, here's some pics.....

#2 10 years ago

Full view...

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Wolvie close photo-1.JPGphoto-1.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Mags and Clops photo-2.JPGphoto-2.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Rear mount view

photo-3.JPGphoto-3.JPG

#6 10 years ago

Sorry, Don't know why they're all sideways :\

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, but it starts to get pretty crowded with her squeezed in there :\. I might add a Storm one though, In the back corner, but I think it look just about right where everything is right now. Not too gaudy, but sophisticated.

The one thing that still bugs me is I currently have a cheap Cerebro helmet that came from an action figure on the plastic after the Xavier VUK. I've scoured seemingly everywhere for a better cerebro....but not luck. I think it would be bad assed to have a light up Cerebro Helmet there on that plastic....it's practically BEGGING for it,lol.

#9 10 years ago

Three more, for scale...

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo-2.JPGphoto-2.JPG photo-1.JPGphoto-1.JPG

#11 10 years ago

Thanks Dug! They're all resin.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

For a guy with no professed mechanical talent, you rocked it!
Well done, really takes the game up a notch in sophistication.
rody

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Awesome job Rcade!

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Still going to send off my stock Wolvie to ZDoor to get repainted, if he still does it, as I might want to go back to him later. So far I've played about 4 games since the install, and so far so good; but I don't know how it will hold up long term. I doubled up on the foam around wolvie's base because resin is so hard I didn't want it to tear the ball up, do we'll see how things are going once I get a bunch more games on it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

first airball to magneto or wolverine you'll be breaking out the epoxy. they look awesome, but i feel like all its going to take is one airball... =(

Quite possible. That's why I tried to make these as quickly reversible as possible if need be. I just wanted to shake things up

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rcades-x-men-full-bowen-mod-attempt-1?tu=rcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.