IMG_5205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5203 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5202 (resized).jpeg
16600879974834773206749314971130 (resized).jpg
16570652564223745267638487986143 (resized).jpg
1651784357439_9668563804_4f8684fe_v1 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220504_022416498 (resized).jpg
7259DAA7-5995-41AA-BBE1-7B7C35991478 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JonCBrand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 1 year ago

To late to resurrect this thread?
With the pin market crazy I figured I'd get some rc stuff going. Most of its been sittong for 4 years. Tomorrow's project is my HPI baja 5t.

I have a few rare items in my collection that I can share pics if anyone is interested. My 2 favorite are an MRC thunder king and a Kyosho USA-1 with sassy chassis carbon fiber extended chassis and aluminum arms.

20220430_213722 (resized).jpg20220430_213722 (resized).jpg
#86 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Been flying RC since the early 80s.[quoted image]

I picked up a foamy brushless airplane 48" wingspan a few years ago. First flight it found trees, I didn't know foam and wood were magnets. I have a few helis I'm ok at hovering but I have yet to get the courage to actually fly.

#91 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

To late to resurrect this thread?
With the pin market crazy I figured I'd get some rc stuff going. Most of its been sittong for 4 years. Tomorrow's project is my HPI baja 5t.
I have a few rare items in my collection that I can share pics if anyone is interested. My 2 favorite are an MRC thunder king and a Kyosho USA-1 with sassy chassis carbon fiber extended chassis and aluminum arms. [quoted image]

Got this one running, fresh fuel, new rx pack (it's a 5 cell nimh hump pack I wanted to run lipo but i didn't have one to fit). Literally all it needed was a new air filter fortunately I had one. Picture shows old yellow one and new white with blue oil.

1651784357439_9668563804_4f8684fe_v1 (resized).jpg1651784357439_9668563804_4f8684fe_v1 (resized).jpg
10 months later
#95 12 months ago

Firing up all my rc stuff still. Everything has Spektrum receivers. I ordered a DX5 rugged and the TouchPad scroll is garbage. I was futaba guy 15 years ago but the cost to swap all rx for surface to futaba would be ridiculously expensive. I would like 5 channels for some of my oddball rcs like Blizzard, usa1 and rock crawlers. Looking for some insight, DX5c DX5pro or futaba 7 series.

5 months later
#99 6 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

My son found my R/C stuff and is really excited about it. I have a TA B3 kit I built in the 90s, and a T3 I bought as a roller. On my most recent re-entry into the hobby I also grabbed some Losi Micros. Seeing all of my gear referred to as 'vintage' in my research was a little jarring.
Since my son is interested, I'm pretty ready to hop back into it. I got one of the micros going, and I just put the other back together. The frustrating thing about those the amount of AA batteries needed (8 for the transmitter, 8 for the charging block). I ordered a couple nimh batteries to throw into my B3/T3, and a 2.4ghz transmitter since I only had one radio.
I checked for local tracks, and there's not too much within a reasonable distance any longer. That makes me think that another buggy probably doesn't make sense. I have a skate park in the community and lots of construction sites. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards an MT10 to toss around. I'm also pretty set on getting some mini-zs. They seem pretty popular, and getting the cars out of the garage and some foam down for some winter racing seems like fun.
I think this is going to be expensive..
[quoted image]

Welcome back to the hobby. I seem to go in spurts 1 year on 2 years off. Yet I still find myself buying new kits to build in my down time. I have almost completely ditched the NIMH and NICD packs in favor of lipo. Spektrum has some new kits with charger and smart batteries that will discharge them self after sitting for a set periord of time.
Currently I have a 51" gas boat on the bench waiting to rebuild the carb and upgrade electronica, its only been there for 4 months.

#101 6 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Can't believe I remembered this brand, anyone else have one back in the ole' days?
I was a teen, saved and saved for one. The first "waterproof" ESC if I recall.
Image borrowed from the web.[quoted image]

I absolutely remember them. Never had one but they built some high amperage ESCs.

#103 6 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

What kind of kits are you grabbing?
I grabbed a mini-z over the weekend, but I (foolishly) passed it to my wife to hold for xmas.
I got both my t3 and b3 running. I somehow don't have a battery strap for either. The original part is expensive on ebay, but I found a 3d printed part for each. I grabbed them and promptly received a cancellation and refund. I guess I'll need to work on printing my own (which will require repairing my own 3d printer). I gave my b3 a quick run anyway and I'm impressed with how well it ran after all this time (with a new nimh battery).
I'm a little apprehensive to run my old stuff too hard for fear of replacement parts. I grabbed a wltoys 144001 for $75 through walmart to run around lots and the local skatepark. I got my son the same model for xmas, as well as a wltoys miniz type clone.
Finally, I grabbed a usb receiver for VRC Pro, a pc game I already owned on steam. I'm also looking at getting RealFlight to get into the flight side of R/C for the first time (other than cheap copters).
Other than that, I'm trying to hold off. I was pretty set on grabbing an MT10 but it's probably overkill.

On my winter list is a Tamiya Grand Hauler, along with fabricating a trailer for my Traxxas Spartan boat. The other kit I want to build is an old school clodbuster. I'd love to build it with vintage electronics but it's cheaper to go with current stuff.

I have real flight and it's awesome to get the basics. I have a handful of helis that I can hover and do basic maneuvers. I wish I could pull off the 3d moves you see on YouTube but for now I'm happy to not crash.

My daily "basher" is HPI Savage XL Flux but thats been on the shelf for months.

I have an itch to build a rock crawler trail in my back yard next spring.

I picked up a few MT28s to run with the nephews and I have a blast with them.

Rambling now,

4 months later
#108 34 days ago

Just perusing Ebay for vintage stuff. Ran across this listing. I'm sure it's an I don't want to sell price but dang. I have the same truck upstairs on a shelf built it 24 years ago.

ebay.com link: itm

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JonCBrand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rc?tu=JonCBrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.