Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002.jpg
001.jpg
Planet of the Apes 1968.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
twilight_zone_eye_beholder.jpg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Anyone find that the skill shot often goes SDTM if you miss?

I have not had the problem with mine, but I think I need to adjust the pitch on mine.

#102 10 years ago

No love, HUGE love. Probably one of the more difficult games there is, it's a real pinball master type machine. How many of you have actually spelled RIPLEYS? No many I would imagine.

#103 10 years ago

There are 4 different ways to earn an extra ball on RBION so any *good* game is going to be a 5-ball game. This makes the skill shot very important. A total of 15 million points can come from skill shots alone in a 5-ball game.

I always try to stack the single ball modes with a second mode (right ramp to vari-target will accomplish that).

Road trip is something you want to do early as this increases your bonuses for each ball thereafter.

Learning how to control the tic-tac-toe grid is probably the most important strategy of the game. Having 2x lit when you get your continent bonus, unlimited millions, or super jackpot can dramatically increase your scores.

I've owned my RBION for 10 years and have yet to see Atlantis; I've been damn close many times though.

My best score is 149 million. My next best score is under 100 million though! I consider any game over 25 million to be a *good* game and any game over 40 million to be a great game.

I used to have my outlanes wide open but that proved to be too big of a kick in the balls so a couple of years ago I moved them to half open. I think it increased the average ball time 50%!

I truly love to play this game and it would be the last game to leave the barn.
Terry.

#104 10 years ago

I had one & had to let it go. Goofy try to better TZ in a standard size cab. Epic fail?

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I truly love to play this game and it would be the last game to leave the barn.Terry.

Go Terry!!

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I had one & had to let it go. Goofy try to better TZ in a standard size cab. Epic fail?

Better than TZ imo.

#107 10 years ago

I got a RBION a few weeks ago. Had only played a few games on one previously.

I look at it as a "Lawlers Greatest Hits Package". If you're familiar with his games, there is a little bit of everything here in RBION.

You can hear it in the audio too. Like when you hit the scoop and the native guy says "it's not on yet monnnnn"

Everytime I play it, something else comes out ...

Good game. Just getting the hang of it, got up to 50m so far.

rd

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I truly love to play this game and it would be the last game to leave the barn.
Terry.

Ha...I bet you feel vindicated, a few years back you took a lot of flack for saying Ripley's was Lawler's best, I remember reading that post on RPG (?) a few years back.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Nope

#110 10 years ago

Anybody having issues with the scoop kicking the ball out SDTM? My scoop used to always kick out to the left flipper like it should, now sometimes it is SDTM or to the very edge of the right flipper. I would imagine the scoop is getting bent from taking shots. Is the best fix to bend the scoop back?

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Anybody having issues with the scoop kicking the ball out SDTM? My scoop used to always kick out to the left flipper like it should, now sometimes it is SDTM or to the very edge of the right flipper. I would imagine the scoop is getting bent from taking shots. Is the best fix to bend the scoop back?

Check the welds on the scoop, this is what mine did when the weld cracked

#112 10 years ago

What liftserv said.

#113 10 years ago

For those getting the sdtm from scoop....do you have a 'Cliffy' installed? I have found that w/the protector installed after quite some time the ball will acquire the sdtm from the scoop symptom. W/no protector or Installing a new protector all is fine. Some chat about this a while back. I'll have to check the welds on my scoop.

#114 10 years ago

Mine does have a cliffy and it has started to develop sdtm issue as well which is random. The last time I checked the scoop because of this issue all seemed to be intact but I will look closer tonight and inspect how the cliffy may be contributing to this..

Its strange how it is occurring randomly..?

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

For those getting the sdtm from scoop....do you have a 'Cliffy' installed? I have found that w/the protector installed after quite some time the ball will acquire the sdtm from the scoop symptom. W/no protector or Installing a new protector all is fine. Some chat about this a while back. I'll have to check the welds on my scoop.

I do. Cliffy looks good on the top. Not sure about underneath.

#116 10 years ago

^^^^ Yes, mine looked good to but once I took it off and played w/out it fine....put new protector on and fine.^^^^

I ordered 2 new ones and use as needed but will still take a look at the welds in my scoop. I also 'adjusted' scoop left(still having protector on)and it would be good for a few but then going back to mostly sdtm's.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Happened on mine and was due to one of the cliffy tabs being bent so that it deflected the ball. Just bent it back to be flush vertical with the playfield and fixed the problem.

#118 10 years ago

^^^Another thing to check...thanks for the tip.^^^

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ha...I bet you feel vindicated, a few years back you took a lot of flack for saying Ripley's was Lawler's best, I remember reading that post on RPG (?) a few years back.

Yeah, I've said it many times for many years and have taken my share of crap for it; to each his own.
I've put a fair amount of time on all Lawler games (I've owned all of them at one point or another except for Bonzai Run and Whirlwind). RBION is the only one I still own; 10 years and running. I'm not saying all other Lawlor games suck, because they don't. All I'm saying is RBION is the keeper, for me anyway.
Terry.

#120 10 years ago

Love love love the game play and modes on RBION. So much fun, love the flow.
I just can't take the massive orientalism that is Ripley's bread-and-butter.
And the fake patois.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Love love love the game play and modes on RBION. So much fun, love the flow.
I just can't take the massive orientalism that is Ripley's bread-and-butter.
And the fake patois.

Ripley's isn't really a flow game. You *can* flow a bit if you make ramp combos, but they aren't worth any (many) points. If you get good at shooting between the lower bumpers with the right flipper, you can get the ball flowing from that flipper. There's also a flow element to the penguin loop. But it's pretty much a stop and think kind of game.

#122 10 years ago

I will give you a little love. I got a mod in the works that I think folks will like!

#123 10 years ago

^^^^. Shouldn't a "little love" include a little hint? : ) ^^^

#124 10 years ago

IMO..the game can use a better temple entrance...vines and monkeys included.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

All I'm saying is RBION is the keeper, for me anyway.

I think this is motivation for PinballLife's new line of RBION mods.......I picked up a snuffer that looks exactly like the idol that I have mounted on the game, but there's nothing else for the playfield (except generic stuff like mirror blades). I think RBION could have some wacky mods

#126 10 years ago

A temple that actually looks like an ancient temple instead of a bent piece of plastic would be a mod I would add.

#127 10 years ago

Sell it & get an AC/DC. Best move ever.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Sell it & get an AC/DC. Best move ever.

Why not have both?

#129 10 years ago

Is there any information available for the lane guide mod and flipper coil upgrades mentioned earlier in this thread?

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I do. Cliffy looks good on the top. Not sure about underneath.

O.K......I just took the 'Cliffy' off as I was getting the SDTM's....installed new Cliffy and all is good once again!(ball is delivered to left flipper)

The Cliffy looked fine from the top/installed, but after taking it off it was bent in a few places so I replaced it. Once they get bent (which it's doing it's job) it seems to cause the SDTM syndrome. This is my 3rd protector....never kept track of how many games till replacement needed, but upon replacing ball is kicked out to the left flipper as it should.

#131 10 years ago

I have since fixed my issue with the SDTM's as well. The two welds closest to the scoop entrance were broken. After welding the scoop back up, the game does not have this issue anymore.

I also removed the cliffy and did some minor adjusting to ensure the tabs that bend into the walls of the scoop hole weren't interfering but did I not replace it.

#132 10 years ago

I did check my welds and they are good. Also, no tab sticking out from protector problems. My cure(and not more cowbell)seems to be to replace the protector.

#133 10 years ago

just bend the scoop to the left .

#134 10 years ago

what is required to remove the cliffy, mine came with one. It fires to the left flipper but the very tip of it wondering if it would make a difference. Haven't had a look myself yet

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

what is required to remove the cliffy, mine came with one. It fires to the left flipper but the very tip of it wondering if it would make a difference. Haven't had a look myself yet

You need to take the two posts off that are r/l of scoop. To do so, underneath pf you have to remove the nuts holding the posts...remove the 'metal subway' to access the right side. You can also remove scoop itself...while all out put a coat of wax on the insides! There is a ever-so-slight movement of that scoop assembly(by loosening screws)that may give you enough movement to shift ball trajectory a little bit more to your liking....not much though.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

You need to take the two posts off that are r/l of scoop. To do so, underneath pf you have to remove the nuts holding the posts...remove the 'metal subway' to access the right side. You can also remove scoop itself...while all out put a coat of wax on the insides! There is a ever-so-slight movement of that scoop assembly(by loosening screws)that may give you enough movement to shift ball trajectory a little bit more to your liking....not much though.

Thanks, sounds like a bit of a pain, especially given my left hand is in a cast at the moment But I will have a look.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Is there any information available for the lane guide mod and flipper coil upgrades mentioned earlier in this thread?

There is no recommended lane guide to use. You need to find a straight one with at least one tab to attach it to the playfield, like the one linked below (not straight, but has the tabs to attach to playfield).

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10696

Cut to size so that it fits on the left side of the vari target. Should be slightly behind the left post in front, but stick out enough in back to push balls into the hole (not much). Use either existing outside lane guide screws or a new wood screw in front to attach. I used one new screw in front and double sided foam tape in back. sk8ball used existing screws. How you cut your lane guide will determine how you mount it. Measure three times, cut once.

Lower flippers get the Pinball Life 'special' LOTR coils. Upper flipper gets upgraded to at least a WMS 11630 (high power side only). The white post rubbers to the right of the lower scoop and right of the right ramp won't last with the flipper upgrades. Replace them with black post rubbers.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Thanks, sounds like a bit of a pain, especially given my left hand is in a cast at the moment But I will have a look.

Yes....if hand in a cast hold off...you'll need it. Speedy healing to you.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Voltherd:

A temple that actually looks like an ancient temple instead of a bent piece of plastic would be a mod I would add.

Now this would be a great MOD! its only 3 screws that hold that thing on, would really pull the game together.

RBION is my favorite Lawlor game and I have owned a couple. Truly an underrated game!

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Now this would be a great MOD! its only 3 screws that hold that thing on, would really pull the game together.
RBION is my favorite Lawlor game and I have owned a couple. Truly an underrated game!

I am going to TPF and I see if one is there to get some pics. PM me with ideas, there is not a lot of headroom to go up, but the front could look much cooler.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I am going to TPF and I see if one is there to get some pics. PM me with ideas, there is not a lot of headroom to go up, but the front could look much cooler.

You could get the plastic from pinball life, it's like $29 to use as a guide .

#142 10 years ago

RBION lovers , I have a chance to get a very nice funhouse. Grail of sorts for me, but no room and RBION may have to go ? should I do it?

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

RBION lovers , I have a chance to get a very nice Funhouse. Grail of sorts for me, but no room and RBION may have to go ? should I do it?

I would say no, but........... only you can make that final call

#144 10 years ago

Should I put funhouse in the living room ? Lol

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Should I put Funhouse in the living room ? Lol

Yes! Now you are thinking. There is always room! They are both great games, but for me I would rather have the RBION. Sounds like you got it figured out though

#146 10 years ago

I had both and Ripleys stayed. Fun House is fun but I tired of it and was able to 'beat' the game often. If I had a lot of pins I would have held on it for the novelty fact and played it once and a while, but small collection of DMD games so it left. Ripleys is waaaay more of a players/strategy game and I think Fun House would be more player friendly for friends/family etc. who come over to play. And yes....nothing wrong w/a game in the living room....or any room! : )

#147 10 years ago

Agreed, but also need to be sensible even though I could afford it can't spend all my money on pins had I not just picked up a huo Star Trek it would be a no brainer.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

RBION lovers , I have a chance to get a very nice Funhouse. Grail of sorts for me, but no room and RBION may have to go ? should I do it?

I would never trade RBION for Funhouse. FH is fun, but RBION has way more to offer.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

You could get the plastic from pinball life, it's like $29 to use as a guide .

Yep, that's what I will do. Sounds cool, I really want this machine too.

#150 10 years ago

^^

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. This game doesn't need tons of mods, but little touches can go a long way. Mine has LEDs, mirror blades, and Hemi's scoop light. A newer, more realistic temple plastic would be cool.

Think Indiana Jones with vines, crumbling rocks, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-why-no-love/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.