Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mandelbloom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

002.jpg
001.jpg
Planet of the Apes 1968.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
twilight_zone_eye_beholder.jpg

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

IMHO RBION got "hurt" by RGP back in the day (2004) because a loud but small group of regulars bitched about it. Hey, it's their right to voice the opinion. That, along with the fact that it wasn't distributed in large numbers (I believe) meant that many people just assumed it was bad but didn't play it.

The few that went out on location didn't hold up well. Mechanically, it very much is a TZ in a skinny cab. Lots of potential problem areas. Also, the vari target was poorly designed. Way too many rejects. Plus, even when it was working, the factory flippers weren't nearly strong enough.

Upgrade the flipper coils and add a lane guide to the vari target (google is your friend) and the game is awesome.

#52 6 years ago

I picked up an rbion on a whim and don't regret it one bit. As far as the back glass, I wasn't really too keen on it at first, and then I got the flipper fidelity led backlighting for it. What a difference! The art comes to life and everything in the picture gets a creepy glow that changes colors emanating from the shrunken heads glowing eyes. I get the most comments on how cool the back glass is. Stern's standard fluorescent tube makes all there back glass artwork dull and bland. The color changing LEDs really bring it to life.

As far as the rest of the artwork, I happen to think it is very true to the original newspaper strips. Youssi didn't just pull the art package out of a hat, he based it in the original Ripley's artwork. I like this aspect of it, but most people probably don't realize that there is in Fact source material out there the game's artwork is based on.

#53 6 years ago

Has anyone owned RBION and Whirlwind? Their playfields and shots look surprisingly similar. Would like to know how different they play. WW is one that I would like to pick up, but only just realized it similarity to RBION.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

AAB:
"Installed?" If you mean the believe it or not award adding a ball in MBs, pretty sure that's a factory standard...if there even is an adjustment setting for it.

If you go to the installs menu, there is an option for AAB. I just assumed it was for a scoop award, but really don't know. A lot of those installs are mysteries to me.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Their playfields and shots look surprisingly similar.

Classic Lawlor Playfield, CLP. They are all super similar but play different. TAF is the same, monopoly etc.

Quoted from phishrace:

Upgrade the flipper coils and add a lane guide to the vari target (google is your friend) and the game is awesome.

in the wild maybe, mine at home never had any issues.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Has anyone owned RBION and Whirlwind? Their playfields and shots look surprisingly similar. Would like to know how different they play. WW is one that I would like to pick up, but only just realized it similarity to RBION.

I have both of them sitting right next to each other. As the previous poster stated, they have similar layouts but play very differently. Whirlwind is a much faster paced game with more flow. Rbion is more of a stop and go with lots of depth. They compliment each other very well

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

in the wild maybe, mine at home never had any issues.

Never had any issues with mine either. Varitarget works perfectly and flipper coils are just fine. I can easily backhand the right ramp.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I have both of them sitting right next to each other.

I'll def get a Whirlwind at some point. One of my fav games ever.

#59 6 years ago

My only complaint about WW is it needs a ball save. It can be brutally fast and the multiball takes a bit of work to earn. It's a real bummer when you get multiball and then lose one of them stdm right away.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

My only complaint about WW is it needs a ball save. It can be brutally fast and the multiball takes a bit of work to earn. It's a real bummer when you get multiball and then lose one of them stdm right away.

No it doesn't...that's the way it is...all games don't have to be the same. PL not known much for ball saves. RBION has a very small point ball save from the factory.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No it doesn't...that's the way it is...all games don't have to be the same. PL not known much for ball saves. RBION has a very small point ball save from the factory.

That and you can turn on "Time Freeze" for new ball plunges.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I have both of them sitting right next to each other. As the previous poster stated, they have similar layouts but play very differently. Whirlwind is a much faster paced game with more flow. Rbion is more of a stop and go with lots of depth. They compliment each other very well

Good to know. WW has been on my list and seems like a reasonably priced machine. I do like PL playfields.

#63 6 years ago

I have one and like it very much, the whole family does.
I don't get the hate for the back glass. It's a game. I play it, I don't have to kiss it.

#64 6 years ago

I've owned all of Pat's pins, and Ripley's is the best IMHO (ES #2). I've defended this game since it was first released. If you don't have a Ripley's, go get one now!

3 weeks later
#65 6 years ago

Just picked one up, been playing it nonstop for a week now, I bought a TZ played it for a month and thought what's all the fuss about, I think RBION should have been the heir to that throne. My only complaint is that it's too damn difficult to get to Atlantis...but that's why I'm drawn to it.

3 months later
#66 6 years ago

Really learning to love this machine. I have watched Keith's tutorial multiple times and learning so much.

The game is finally clicking and last night I had the game of my life. (Try not to snicker too much because I am not great at pinball). I scored 25 million last night and my previous high score was around 5. Like I said I suck but I am learning.

Love that call for the jackpot and super jackpot.

#67 6 years ago

Shh.... I am looking for one of these cheap. Stop boosting the price.

#68 6 years ago

Just sold mine last night to brother pinner snowyetti.

Fun game. I just couldn't get past the feel of stern for some reason. Even the pulling out of the pf was strange. Felt flimsy and not well built. I guess I'm mocking stern and not just Rbion.

#69 6 years ago

This is my first Stern (LOTR on the way) and it feels pretty solid to me. I heard that the pins made after RBION started to get flimsy feeling. I'll see how LOTR stacks up.

#70 6 years ago

I think RBION feels very solid.

I thought Sterns BDK felt cheap. Not sure what makes the difference.

#71 6 years ago

I love it! One of the most underrated pins imho.

#72 6 years ago

I couple of years ago everybody was looking to buy one. It was the flavor of the year. It's still one of those interesting games that most people have on their want list.

#73 6 years ago

Planet of the Apes 1968.jpg

1 week later
#74 6 years ago

Bought rbion from Blackbeard who by the way is a good honest pinsider and hooked me up with a great price thanks again bro.But I think sterns once you get into them especially after replacing every nut bolt and rubber on my rbion have a diff feel kinda like segas from the past rbion is def underrated for sure when well taken care of it plays great super fast and a ton to do the guy Blackbeard got mine from was a pig never cleaned or took care of anything lucky he took it from its misery when he did

#75 6 years ago

Average game at best. So many Better ones out there.

#76 6 years ago

I agree, if I didnt have to pay to play it and I was at some one's house with one, I would probably like it.

#77 6 years ago

RBION is the full package. The challenge is ridiculous. Normally I blow through games, especially if I own them, not with RBION. The game is a cruel mistress. Such a challenge. Still have never seen Atlantis or Frog Frenzy, but I have been close. You can't flail your way to a good score with RBION, you have to be a good player to do well at it.

#78 6 years ago

Ripley's has been pounding me in the (family) jewels since picking it up the second week of January. Pretty much constantly. I've played hundreds and hundreds of games on it, rarely passing the 20 mil mark.

Guess it doesn't help that the machine might need some dialing in, and the pf is pitched at 8 degrees? The spinners don't spin well (the prev owner greased them!) and the shooter rod was greased, too, which makes it gunky/sticky.

Also... the game is software version 2.0.1.... (like I said... it had one original owner) and there's a 3.2 out there? Guess I have to get the update.

No matter.

Last night I tried hard to play well, and did better than usual. 30 mil for the last game of the night (after about 60 games). Best score ever.

First game tonight was much better. Still didn't beat the factory GCS; but neither had the original owner in 10 years!

001.jpg
002.jpg

I learned:

1) It pays to get all of the continents finished. 12+ million for that, alone. Most shots feel like chopping wood, but the final continent shot really pays off!
2) Relight the scoop by hitting right ramps. This is important in order to start continents! (esp. if you can't hit the vari-target every time).
3) R-I-P-L-E-Y-S letters are fine and dandy, but if you don't get them for each continent--don't get pissed off. Finishing all continents is still a big award.
4) The machine might need some more tweaking, but it just might be a keeper.

#79 6 years ago

You're right: completing all the continents and hitting the varitarget for that continents jackpot is a key to big scores. One more tip for you: try to get 2x scoring from the temple grid before you hit the Continents Jackpot. It will double everything you scored before, and double the super jackpot that you'll hit straight off the right flipper immediately after (right?!).

I've had mine a year and still have yet to complete the Ripleys letters. It's a very tough goal. I have had a few games where I went through all the continents twice, got the continents jackpot twice, and still didn't get all the Ripley's letters. Big scores, though.

#80 6 years ago

Its a tough game for sure, but im able to put upbpretty high scores, 75 mil a couple of nights ago and im consistently score between 20 and 40. I like that some modes have multiballs associated with them, which different than lotr and tspp.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Voltherd:

You're right: completing all the continents and hitting the varitarget for that continents jackpot is a key to big scores. One more tip for you: try to get 2x scoring from the temple grid before you hit the Continents Jackpot. It will double everything you scored before, and double the super jackpot that you'll hit straight off the right flipper immediately after (right?!).
I've had mine a year and still have yet to complete the Ripleys letters. It's a very tough goal. I have had a few games where I went through all the continents twice, got the continents jackpot twice, and still didn't get all the Ripley's letters. Big scores, though.

I am convinced this game is one hardest ever made to complete. I can not think of any other game that I have played to this extent that I haven't seen the wizard mode on. Some of the mode are so simple, but the time is so limited to complete them it becomes so difficult. For whatever reason, the vari-target throws up a brick wall when I have Australia going. Hitting the idol is no big deal, hitting it 6 or 7 times in like 15 seconds is tough. Add in no ball save on factory settings and a very quick ball save at the start of a multiball and it gets even harder. The mode timer doesn't stop for the pops either, and there are 6 pop bumpers. My best game ever is 112 million. I can consistently do well, 30-50 million, but completing the modes is rough. My best ever is 5 Ripley's letters and in that game I failed on the two easiest modes, Asia and Australia TWICE each. Oh what should have been...

#82 6 years ago

The pops kill you with the timer. I had to increase the game pitch to 7.5 so they move through them quicker.

I also set my outlanes in. I thought it was too easy this way, but when I moved them out, even a little, it became a magnet for side drains.

#83 6 years ago

When you restart a continent, does it keep the previous progress or does it start all over again?

#84 6 years ago

I love RBION. But I don't love it more than lamp!

#85 6 years ago

I got six letters the other night...technically I got all of the letters but I think due to my older rom version there is a bug that takes back a letter when it's scored via the scoop award. It first registers after it scores it fromthe scoop but when you next complete the a continent challange it lights the same letter again...WTF?

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

When you restart a continent, does it keep the previous progress or does it start all over again?

You start all over. Going through the modes the second time the advantage is that you can now complete the "easy" modes again to help with getting the 7 total Ripley's letters.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The_Gorilla said:

You start all over, at least with respect to earning a letter. It's harder earning letters the second time around, though, because the ball saver in the multiball modes is disabled. They can end very, very fast without "Keep Goin' Mon".

I believe you keep the cumulative score for all passes for each mode for the Contenents Jackpot if you manage to make it through them all more than once.

One really useful tip: you can stack Asia, South America and Europe and a multiball continent mode. It really helps completing Europe especially to have extra balls in play and a ballsaver active.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Its a tough game for sure, but im able to put upbpretty high scores, 75 mil a couple of nights ago and im consistently score between 20 and 40. I like that some modes have multiballs associated with them, which different than lotr and tspp.

So I don't feel bad with my high score being 25 mil. And I am a very poor pinball player.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

So I don't feel bad with my high score being 25 mil. And I am a very poor pinball player.

I with you on this one!

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Voltherd:

You start all over, at least with respect to earning a letter. It's harder earning letters the second time around, though, because the ball saver in the multiball modes is disabled. They can end very, very fast without "Keep Goin' Mon".
I believe you keep the cumulative score for all passes for each mode for the Contenents Jackpot if you manage to make it through them all more than once.
One really useful tip: you can stack Asia, South America and Europe and a multiball continent mode. It really helps completing Europe especially to have extra balls in play and a ballsaver active.

Europe is reasonably easy on mine if you cradle on the left and backhand the tombstone right outside of the idol. Yeah, it seems dangerous... but it returns about 95% of the time right to the flipper. It returns fast, though.

For the right flipper, I try and hit the tombstone to the right of the shrunken head.

4 mil on Europe alone in last night's game. Got several more than just 6 hits.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Europe is reasonably easy on mine if you cradle on the left and backhand the tombstone right outside of the idol.

Good idea, I'll try it. I find Europe hard and never liked any solution I've found for it. I don't like that target because the return is so fast you better not blink!

The other day I had Asia, Europe, and North America all going at once, and then got the add-a-ball from the scoop. I just played North America and the rest took care of itself, but I fell one Jackpot short on NA. Wish it had been South America instead of Asia, though-- Asia was complete in no time. Three letters in one multiball mode are certainly possible!

#92 6 years ago

I find very few drains sdtm, 90% are via the outlanes, that helps a lot.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I swear the right drain on mine is the worst drain in all of pinball. Makes the right drain on STTNG on pale in comparison.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I swear the right drain on mine is the worst drain in all of pinball.

I set my bonus multiplier to carryover, so I always go for the upper lanes when I launch. 9 out of 10 times, on my first ball of my first warmup game, I'll daydream while the ball is in the pops, it will dribble down and bounce off something above the upper scoop and go straight down that right outlane. Happens way too often and I always feel like an idiot when it happens. It does tend to make me focus faster though. It is the worst outlane in pinball. Even in competition, you'll rarely see that one opened all the way up. If I saw that post was removed for a tournament, I probably wouldn't play it.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I set my bonus multiplier to carryover, so I always go for the upper lanes when I launch. 9 out of 10 times, on my first ball of my first warmup game, I'll daydream while the ball is in the pops, it will dribble down and bounce off something above the upper scoop and go straight down that right outlane. Happens way too often and I always feel like an idiot when it happens. It does tend to make me focus faster though. It is the worst outlane in pinball. Even in competition, you'll rarely see that one opened all the way up. If I saw that post was removed for a tournament, I probably wouldn't play it.

To be clear, I just got this game last week so I don't know a lot about it. You're saying that a full plunge should go around all the way to the pops? Mine doesn't make it that far.

Also, when multi ball is running, I have to manually plunge balls. They should be auto plunge, right?

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

To be clear, I just got this game last week so I don't know a lot about it. You're saying that a full plunge should go around all the way to the pops? Mine doesn't make it that far.
Also, when multi ball is running, I have to manually plunge balls. They should be auto plunge, right?

A full plunge on mine will sometimes go all the way around and other times bounces off the entrance to the ramp. Not sure why it does that.

I just go for a skill shot into Bozo and grab some mills instead.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

You're saying that a full plunge should go around all the way to the pops? Mine doesn't make it that far.

Yes, the upper lanes, then pops. It depends on pitch too, but the right side lane guide at the top of the shooter lane is adjustable. Set your pitch where you want it, then adjust that guide. There's a nut under the playfield. No matter how much you adjust it, a full pull rarely works. You want it to work with ~2/3 of a pull. Set bonus carryover to yes in feature settings when you get it right.

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

They should auto plunge from the lock lane, not the shooter lane. Sounds like your diverter isn't working. You can test it in diags under coil test. Scroll to that coil, hit the enter button, close coin door and hit the start button. Diverter should come down. Or, you can light lock by hitting the shrunken head a few times, then lock balls in the lock lane by shooting the right ramp. If lock is lit and the ball returns to the right flipper, your diverter isn't working.

edit: Could also be your lock switches, which you can easily test in switch test, or your auto plunge coil, which can also be tested in coil test. Probably diverter, then check switches, then auto plunge coil.

#98 6 years ago

This game is sweet lawlor did a great job very under rated tons to do get it now before it gets even more pricey.was playin this for years at local burg joint just bought one couple weeks ago and can't get enough

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Yes, the upper lanes, then pops. It depends on pitch too, but the right side lane guide at the top of the shooter lane is adjustable. Set your pitch where you want it, then adjust that guide. There's a nut under the playfield. No matter how much you adjust it, a full pull rarely works. You want it to work with ~2/3 of a pull. Set bonus carryover to yes in feature settings when you get it right.

Good to know phishrace. Thank you!

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone find that the skill shot often goes SDTM if you miss?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chester, MD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blaine, WASHINGTON
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside