Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002.jpg
001.jpg
Planet of the Apes 1968.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
twilight_zone_eye_beholder.jpg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Played RBION quite a bit the other night. I thought it had alot going on and had some neat shots. I was wondering why it doesn't get alot of love in the reviews and rankings. I thought it was a pretty cool game.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Played RBION quite a bit the other night. I thought it had alot going on and had some neat shots. I was wondering why it doesn't get alot of love in the reviews and rankings. I thought it was a pretty cool game.

It's popularity has gone way up. (And so have the prices on it. Used to be able to find for 2k, now 3k plus)

I never cared for it, until I played a working one. Fun and unique game for sure.

#3 10 years ago

I have one. Very unique and fun Lawler game indeed'

#4 10 years ago

I recently purchased one and really like it. I too have wondered why there seems to be a lack of love for the game. Its has good shots, a relatively deep rule set, amusing call outs (though some get annoyed at the idol), and the best multiball animation of all times (couldn't find a youtube vid of it afer a quick search, but I'll try to get the video at some point). Some people complain that the upper PF could have been done better, but I think it works well enough. It does have two sets of three pop bumpers, three flippers, and two scoops, which makes the open part of the playfield long and narrow. This makes it that many shorts are tight, and you have to be patient to make them. Thus, stop and go over flow. Good wizard mode when you make it to Atlantis. I have yet to get to Frog Frenzy. . . someday.

On an aside, anyone know what there are so many "frenzy" modes in various pins? I'd like to know where the term came from and why it is called something different than just a regular multiball/jackpot mode.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

It's different and difficult. Most people play a few games, do poorly, get frustrated and say, "this game sucks." Many people nowadays have short attention spans, want things handed to them and don't want a challenge. Many want short, shallow games where you can see the entire game in 5 minutes. RBION is not that type of game. To do well, you have to be a good player, you have to think, you have to nudge...especially on the right outlane. No ball saves, no big points to be found. Everything you get in RBION you have to earn.

#6 10 years ago

This is something that I definitely changed in my settings with "Time Freeze". Nothing worse than a no flipper drain after plunging.

#7 10 years ago

Ugly. It's also ugly.
Oh, and it's ugly.

Fun and challenging game though. Pity it's so ugly.

#8 10 years ago

Isn't it Keith Elwin's favourite pin? I've only played it on The Pinball Arcade. Never seen one in real life. Heaps of fun though. I'd like to own one.

#9 10 years ago

I'll probably keep my eye out for one. Wouldn't mine having this title.

#10 10 years ago

I really enjoyed it on the pinball arcade so when one popped up close I took a chance on it and is now one of my favorites.

#11 10 years ago

Rbion is great! I think it's the theme that turns people off

#12 10 years ago

Bad theme, art and call-outs.

#13 10 years ago

Must like theme but excellent pin. Only love for it here.

#14 10 years ago

I enjoy it. there are 3 near me. 2 work fairly well. one is completely trashed. when set up right and working properly its a fun game.

#15 10 years ago

I to really enjoy this game. It doesn't have that typical Stern look or feel to it. Not a big fan of the shrunken head back glass but I make my own custom translites anyways so that's an easy fix. If u find a RBION daily cheap I'm gonna get me one

#16 10 years ago

Approximately, how many Ripleys were made?

#17 10 years ago

Hmmm.... $8000 LE Stern or $3000 RBION? I hate my money, so new it is!

1 week later
#18 10 years ago

The more I play my RBION, the more I love it. It is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite pins. Collected 6 Ripley letters last night . . . almost made it to Atlantis on standard rules.

As an aside, how many people play with add-a-ball installed? I just turned that feature on and really like the opportunity to collect one more ball during mode multiballs.

1 week later
#19 10 years ago

Not a bad game at all... but not a great game either... Just because a game is not bad, doesn't immediately make it worth more money...

I've never seen one sell for 3K unless damn near new. Yet, every single one for sale is always listed for over 3K.

I think people are sick in the head to pay 3K+ for a Ripley's. The last REALLY nice one in these parts went for 2800. A routed/average one should really be 2500 or MUCH less than the asking prices I've seen lately. If you love it and don't care, sure buy it for whatever price.

I keep seeing the same RBION's listed everywhere for 3K plus for MONTHS and they don't move. People must hate money, love Ripley's.

Just one opinion, flame-suit is on.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Ugly. It's also ugly.
Oh, and it's ugly.
Fun and challenging game though. Pity it's so ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder TB

twilight_zone_eye_beholder.jpgtwilight_zone_eye_beholder.jpg
#21 10 years ago

Love my RBION. I'd never played one before and dropped a few quarters in one at a local bowling alley several years ago waiting for my daughter to get done with a birthday party. I was surprised how much I liked it and eventually picked one up. It is definitely one my personal favorites.

#22 10 years ago

I really think this is a hidden treasure.

Sure the translite leaves something to be desired, but who doesn't love a rollerskating penguin?

#23 10 years ago

At release it was widely regarded as seriously fugly but at least there was no green haired troll doll like in Lawlor's
previous Stern attempt

#24 10 years ago

I thought it was an excellent game.

#25 10 years ago

THEME. Only reason it's not rated higher. This would be a loaded 8k LE today

#26 10 years ago

I personally couldn't get into this game , I've tried several times to like it but it's just not for me , the theme is ridiculous ,the art is kinda creepy , and I think is the worst stern game ever made , oohhhhh no wait its terminator 3 then rbion, but thats just my opinion ,but it has gained a lot of popularity over the last year .....and for those who like it good for them they might not like pinballs I think they are fun we all have different taste .

#27 10 years ago

I'm actually surprised that theme is one of the main complaints. I've never actually seen lotr all the way through could care less about ever watching it yet that's hands down my favorite Stern.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

On an aside, anyone know what there are so many "frenzy" modes in various pins? I'd like to know where the term came from and why it is called something different than just a regular multiball/jackpot mode.

I always assumed the "Frenzy" term came from Funhouse, but for all I know perhaps an earlier pin incorporated the term and concept. If Getaway had come out before FH, we all might be calling it a "Mania" instead of a "Frenzy," unless a pin before Getaway used the term "Mania" lol...

I picked up a nice Junkyard last month and was happy to see it incorporates a "Secret Mania," although it seems to be rather unlucerative unless you manage to start multi-ball shortly after initiating the Secret Mania.

#29 10 years ago

I really like the gameplay in RBION. That fact that there are some easy shots and some hard shots keep it challenging. I would have bought one, but the art killed it for me. My pins are in what was the dining room and the wife was not a fan of the side art, which would be out for everyone to see. I plan on picking one up some day.

#30 10 years ago

its fun, super hard to score I think. tight shots all over the place. i'd own one, love the callouts and display images.

#31 10 years ago

I'm convinced if you play less than 50 games you won't like it..... play more than that and you'll love it. Killer pin, and I love any game with Bigfoot in it...ha

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I think people are sick in the head to pay 3K+ for a Ripley's.

RBION is 5x the game any new Stern is...even the LE versions. I think it is sick to pay $8,000 for an LE sight unseen, before the title is even announced and with LE features that no one has even seen to this day. I very nice RBION is a 3k game in today's market, with average prices in the $2.5-2.75k range...and that is a steal for what you get comparatively speaking. It is a very challenging, deep game. Not to mention, it has a right outlane drain that rivals any in pinball.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I'm convinced if you play less than 50 games you won't like it..... play more than that and you'll love it. Killer pin, and I love any game with Bigfoot in it...ha

I totally agree with this. It is tough, no ball save and complicated rules that are different than the norm. If you only play a few games, it will kick your ass, you won't understand what to do and how to score points and you won't like it. That's where many of the "this game sucks" comments come from, people don't like getting their ass handed to them. I like a challenge, so I came back for more and I am glad I did.

#34 10 years ago

RBION is a keeper and a great game.

I think the playfield is beautiful. One of the best out there, IMHO. The backglass? I feel like it tried to get the TZ effect but didn't quite make it. Is it ugly? By no means! But it's not a best by any stretch either.

IMHO RBION got "hurt" by RGP back in the day (2004) because a loud but small group of regulars bitched about it. Hey, it's their right to voice the opinion. That, along with the fact that it wasn't distributed in large numbers (I believe) meant that many people just assumed it was bad but didn't play it. Also, in general, I believe there was a lot of Stern hate back then. Not so much now! Over time it's starting to show its real value.

Just my opinion.

(Disclosure: I have one that was NIB)

#35 10 years ago

This guy's cool.
IMG_0658.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

#36 10 years ago

It gets plenty of love now....just back in the good ol days of RGP was it the doo-doo game of the year

I was a cheerleader for the game then, and still am today..... mine is bolted to the floor.

#37 10 years ago

I hate the art. I think its mostly the sling plastics. If I bought one I would immediately remove them and destroy them in a giant fire... and then play the hell out of it because it is a fun game.

#38 10 years ago

The machine I play the most that I own. The rules are great and it's a very challenging game, classic lawlor layout, and very fun.
Has a few draw backs to it but almost every game does. I think the PF art is great, although the backglass is poor looking (at first). But what makes a good looking pin varies so much from person to person.

Quoted from lyonsden:

As an aside, how many people play with add-a-ball installed?

"Installed?" If you mean the believe it or not award adding a ball in MBs, pretty sure that's a factory standard...if there even is an adjustment setting for it.

Quoted from lyonsden:

I have yet to get to Frog Frenzy. . . someday.

Seriously. That's a very hard goal to get. I scored all Supers once, but couldn't get Frog Frenzy.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

RBION is 5x the game any new Stern is...even the LE versions. I think it is sick to pay $8,000 for an LE sight unseen, before the title is even announced and with LE features that no one has even seen to this day. I very nice RBION is a 3k game in today's market, with average prices in the $2.5-2.75k range...and that is a steal for what you get comparatively speaking. It is a very challenging, deep game. Not to mention, it has a right outlane drain that rivals any in pinball.

You mean like Baywatch, but for half the price (1250)... Oh wait, wrong company. OR, is it...

#40 10 years ago

I just watched a video of this pin to remind me why I never picked one up. I like the gameplay and the art. Sorry I really dislike the sound package. The call outs are the worst and music gets old very quick.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Sorry I really dislike the sound package. The call outs are the worst and music gets old very quick.

Personal pref. I see you own FT which may be to some the most annoying music ever. I of course enjoy it just fine, so you never can tell.

#42 10 years ago

I love RBION. I must be weird, because the art and callouts are part of WHY I love it.

#43 10 years ago

There are a lot of people ("round these parts") that buy Ripley's and sell it 2 weeks later... I say, what til one of those folks near you sells theirs. That way, the seller may actually have a reasonable asking price.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Rabscuttle:

I love RBION. I must be weird, because the art and callouts are part of WHY I love it.

No matter where you go there you are. Never gets old.

#45 10 years ago

I'll trade mine for an acdc pro if anyone wants

#47 10 years ago

I tried to get into it. But it's just too ugly.

#49 10 years ago

RBION is up there for my favourite pin, I love mine and it'd be the last I sell. I was a fan of the tv show and my dad had some of the old comics that i used to read growing up (they were more monsters and freaky though) so the theme works for me. It should be rated higher but luckily for me it wasn't so I could still afford it! The build quality is excellent too compared to newer sterns. I must be blind though because I don't get why it's ugly, a bit plain but still looks great to me

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

It gets plenty of love now....just back in the good ol days of RGP was it the doo-doo game of the year
I was a cheerleader for the game then, and still am today..... mine is bolted to the floor.

Exactly. Well put. I could not care less about RBION's *value* as mine is not for sale. I have owned this game longer than any other pin I have ever owned and I still play it all the time. Haters are gonna hate, but I don't invite them over very often so its OK.
Terry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-why-no-love and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.