(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 8 years ago

Anyone else avoid the scoop almost completely on their RBION? I always start continents from the vari-target and I never shoot the scoop intentionally. I get crazy bounces and/or deflections on 4/5 scoop shots. Almost seems like the left flipper is too strong with how much velocity is on the ball when I shoot that scoop which is close to the flipper.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Have you checked to see if the scoop welds are cracked? Both the ones I had needed to be rewelded. After that the scoop was fine.

It was. I could tell when it wasn't kicking out to the left flipper consistently. I fixed that. It just seems like the ball goes towards the scoop too hard since the scoop is so close and then it rebounds all over the place. I can pretty consistently backhand the vari-target so I go that route instead.

2 weeks later
#73 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I have a reason to believe it's being worked on, mostly done, and will be out in 2016. Not sure when, though.
Yup, answered my own question. Just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing.

I would say that's correct.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes...I don't know what they're saying though...confusing. It's just like the other 2 continent MBs, which are both ramps have jackpots, then another area will relight them; the right orbit in this situation. You probably have to get like 5 jackpots or something...plus the game tells you the wrong amounts in some modes. Sneaky devil.
EDIT: Pinball news article is super old code I think.

To complete the MB modes, it is center ramp, right ramp (in either order), then the specific jackpot shot for that mode (penguin loop, idol), then both ramps again (in either order) and then mode specific jackpot shot again to get the letter. You need 2 sets of each (6 jackpots) total. And if you only get 5 jackpots and get through all the continents and start that MB mode again...you still need all 6 again, no progression saving. It's tough.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So center ramp, right ramp , right loop (penguin lap) X 3 for Antartica letter?

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from eli_lilly:

On mine, the Cliffy causes this. When the ball approaches the scoop from the left flipper, it bounces slightly on the Cliffy, causing it to go airborne and hit the scoop's "scoop". When the ball approaches from the right side of the scoop, it has a tendancy to ride along the side of the Cliffy. Apparently this is a common issue. I've considered trying to take it off and seeing what damage it's covering. I wish there was a Mantis protector for Ripley's.
-E

I'm sure you are right. I am getting the same more difficult scoop shots on X-Men with a Cliffy on there. Without it, you can't miss the scoop and many times it just falls in, but with it, it can be a pain to hit.

3 months later
#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Just joined the club with a great deal on my RBION. There is one spot of PF wear I would like to address with a waterslide decal and a mylar but to do so I need a really good close up high res photo or better a 300+ dpi scan of the area if someone can help.
I tried to do a little touch up in photoshop but a scan of a good pf would be better.
Thanks!

If you get this made, let me know, I'd be interested. Mine is not worn to the wood, but it has smeared the ink some from repeated kickouts.

5 months later
#133 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I have a question for you guys:
How often does the ball leave the upper pop bumpers via the left exit? I just picked up a RBION, I've played maybe 5-10 games, and I don't think I've seen the ball go out the left once yet. In TPA, which I understand may not be accurate, it goes left probably 40-50% of the time.
I think part of my problem is there isn't a lot of action in the upper pop bumpers. So I am going to start by adjusting their switches to make them more sensitive.

Mine goes out the left a lot. It is an awkward drain though that usually does bounce off around BOZO and heads to the right outlane area. Setting up RBION can be tricky. Level and pitch play a big role. On a full plunge does your ball make it to the pops? For years I never realized that it should do that since I always went for the skill set anyway.

1 month later
#143 7 years ago

Finally got to Frog Frenzy for the first time tonight! The mode isn't worth hardly any points, but what a challenge to get there. Best game I've ever had point wise too. One continent away from completing all the continents twice. No Atlantis this time though, only 5 Ripley's letters. Man I love this game. Such an underrated gem.

IMAG7035 (resized).jpgIMAG7035 (resized).jpg

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Damn Les NICE!!! Frog Frenzy...will I ever see the day

I was beginning to wonder this question myself. I've gotten to Atlantis 4-5 times, but never Frog Frenzy. I think 5 supers was my previous max. It was so much fun seeing it all come together. It was nerve racking when I had it lit and I knew all I needed to do was hit that super jackpot shot one more time.

7 months later
#280 6 years ago

I just did the impossible. Atlantis on ball 1...believe it or not! I've gotten Atlantis a few times before, but never that early. When you get all 7 letters the first time through you get a perfect letter bonus of 10 million. Plus I get through all the continents again with only 3 letters this time and it gave the perfect bonus again. I guess the code doesn't account for that scenario. 111 million after ball 1. Ended up with 156 million. It was AMAZING!

It wasn't all roses though. On my ball 1 I got 5 Super Jackpots and I couldn't get the last two for Frog Frenzy. I hit one right as I drained out of multiball, but it didn't give me credit for it. Man I love this game. Had it for years and it never gets old. What a challenge!

Note to self, fix the last S LED. It's hardly ever lit so I didn't know it was out.

IMAG8582 (resized).jpgIMAG8582 (resized).jpg
IMAG8578 (resized).jpgIMAG8578 (resized).jpg
IMAG8581 (resized).jpgIMAG8581 (resized).jpg

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haha damn dude that's awesome! I thk we've talked before aboot the Altantis scores always being close together....right around 150m. Perfect letter score...that's a new one.
Frog Frenzy...so impossible. I had a game awHile ago I got like 4 SJ on the first MB and then not 1 more the rest of the game...wtf!!

I had never gotten Atlantis the first time through so the perfect letter bonus was new to me too. So close to my second ever Frog Frenzy, I thought with 5 SJPs on ball I would get there again, but that dream died.

3 weeks later
#295 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Right ramp re lights continents when not lit and then either vary target or sometimes VUK will start mode. If I remember right.

What a lot of people don't realize because the mode timers are so quick is that you can stack modes. Start one, hit the right ramp and then the vari target and start another mode while the first is going. It's hard to do since there isn't a lot of time, but if you can start two modes and then hit your multiball start under the shrunken head for instance, it can be very helpful for killing two birds with one stone.

3 months later
#438 6 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I guess it was replaced because it is definitely red...lol. I went ahead and installed the new dmd without any cover for now just to see how it looked. Clear one is on order
The new display is pretty impressive although I was hoping for a bit better on the resolution. It's sort of blocky honestly.

Go to your local Ace Hardware and bring the RED plexi with you and have them cut you a clear piece using the red as a template. It's dirt cheap. Then use the red plexi as a template to drill the screw holes. Just tape over the edges where you are drilling new holes in the clear plexi. I had to do this for my X-Men when I put a Color DMD in it.

4 weeks later
#456 6 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

Replaced most of the ugly LEDs...

You just haven't gotten to that purple GI under the "Enter At Own Risk" plastic yet right?

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

Correct. There are still about 8 or 9 purple barf bulbs left to replace.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

OK, new issue. Today the magnet under the shrunken head has stopped "throwing" the ball like it should. It will either barely toss it up hard enough to get to the poppers or it won't make it that far and just drops back out from under the head. Is there an adjustment for this?

Did you recently update the code or replace the batteries? The magnet has to learn to throw the ball like that, so if the settings were cleared, it will take some games for it to start doing it again.

2 weeks later
#488 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

In Australia mode you can get credit for one hit or two hits, depending on how hard you hit the varitarget.

In Australia you get one shot for hitting it and two shots if you put the ball in the hole.

2 months later
#550 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

How often does anyone manage to complete South America (Shrunken Head) mode? I've never managed it! The timer is so short to complete 6 hits that if I miss two attempts I find there's not enough time to get it. And I miss at least two attempts every time.
Just getting the ball back under control for another attempt takes time, and if the ball settles on the left flipper it's about an equal amount of time to post pass it to the right flipper for a direct shot as it takes to shoot the right ramp for the diversion shot to the head via the ball lock kickout.
Another thing I'm getting a bit frustrated with, and someone might have a tip/solution for this, is the Bonus X rollover insert lights. Oftentimes an upper orbit shot with the upper flipper sends the ball into those lanes for me, but also oftentimes one of those shots is accompanied by a light show that involves the inserts! So I've got a ball up there about to roll over a Bonus X lane, and does indeed roll into one of them, while a light show is flashing everything and obscuring which of the inserts are unlit. It frustrates the hell out of me to be making a blind manoeuvre here and then hearing the sound effect for a ball rolling over an already-lit insert. The light show causes me to blow a relatively rare opportunitie to light a Bonus-X insert.

It's difficult because the timer is so short. Try starting the mode and then starting MB right after to help get through it.

Don't worry too much about the rollovers. I know what you mean with the light show, but your bonus is usually so low, multipliers don't really matter much overall.

1 month later
#609 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No.
The left is for sure a lock nut on the bottom.
Cant find any pics but I think both of them are lock nuts?

They are both lock nuts. The right post takes a real beating, so it's possible that the hole became so worn that the post was loose and someone just glued it in there to keep it from moving around.

1 week later
#622 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

This reminds me, also, that Keith Elwin's RBION tutorial he says that RBION has one timer for all modes. On my RBION this is definitely not true. Should it be true? And, man, watching that tutorial again makes me realise how badly I need to fix my right flipper. I cannot backhand the right ramp AT ALL and Keith does it constantly.

I believe he means that you can start a mode, light another one and then start another one and have them both running on one timer. The mode timers are so short though, this rarely ever happens unless you are really focusing on it.

You definitely should be able to backhand that right ramp. I do it all the time as well.

11 months later
#812 4 years ago

I went to the Ripley's in Wisconsin Dells last week. Picked up a fun souvenir. It's a magnet with oil and water in it and floating eye balls that simulate bulging eyes. I was actually looking at places in the game where it could go and it looks like it would fit perfectly over the middle ramp, but I highly doubt I'll put it in there. Probably just have it at my desk at work to keep me entertained.
IMAG3468 (resized).jpgIMAG3468 (resized).jpg

1 year later
#961 3 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Has ANYONE achieved Froggy Frenzy? There is a video on line of someone doing it, but it was edited right before he does it so, it was staged.

I've gotten it once. Been close a few other times, but it is really difficult with so many SJPs needed and limited opportunities to get them. It's much harder to get to Frog Frenzy then Atlantis wizard mode.

#967 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I got a machine in a few weeks ago and it had a bunch of "Tech" alerts at powerup. This was odd since everything seemed to be working, and when I looked into the individual items, each of them were fine. Then I noticed that the game was running 3.00! A little research and found that the latest code was 3.20 and one of the major fixes in the release notes was Alert monitoring was fixed... Seemed like a match made in heaven. Matt Morin Basement Arcade sent me a set of chips and I installed in less than 5 minutes. Rebooted, clean bill of health!!!!
The only issue I see now is the behaviour of the shrunken head magnet seems to have changed. It now feels weaker. Using 3.00 code, it used to throw the ball upward everytime. In the new 3.20 I see it basically just lets go of the ball. Anyone know which beviour is correct or is this adjustable? (I didn't find a setting for it)

I believe after a code update like that, the magnet needs to "learn" to throw the ball up again. Kind of like the Phantom Flip in Monster Bash or Thing shot in Addams. After a few plays with magnet hits, the game adjusts and starts throwing the ball correctly.

2 months later
#1007 2 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Hi all. Joined the club on Friday when I took delivery of rbion. Bought it from Replay Foundation (still sad) so it was used at Pinburgh. They have removed the shooter rod and in the tourney there was a sign (still on my back glass) that said flippers launch ball. Any idea why they did this? Auto launch usually gets it around the loop to the top lanes. Totally eliminates the possibility of the Bozo skill shot. Is this what they were trying to prevent? Why?

It's for tournament play. If you can constantly hit the skill shot, it won't register as a valid PF switch so you can keep hitting it then letting the ball drain and the game will give you the ball back and you can hit it again. Not easy to do, but it can be done and you can rack up big scores that way with the skill shots incrementing by 1 million each time.

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Now that's interesting. I knew if it didn't hit a valid playfield switch, you could try again. But, I thought hitting the skill shot registered as a hit, and the ball was then in play. You're saying that after making the skill shot, if the ball is ejected and doesn't hit a qualifying switch, I can let it drain and go for a second skill shot??

That's right.

9 months later
#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I've reached Atlantis twice, but never reached Frog Frenzy. A friend once focused just on the super jackpots and reached Frog Frenzy. It was a very low scoring mode.
I've got a Shadow also. It's easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow.

It's significantly easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow. I had a Shadow and could get multiple Final Battles in a single game. Getting to Atlantis took me longer than any other game I have had to get to the wizard mode. I've done it many times now, but it is still difficult and always special when I get there. I've gotten Frog Frenzy once. Frog Frenzy is so tough because you have to get all 6 super jackpots and then another one after that to start it. It is low scoring, but I talked to Keith about that and he said you had to stack it with a multiball to make it more valuable. I was just happy to get it once, I wasn't about to try for the perfect stack and drain out at that point.

5 months later
#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

You're definitely a better player than I! I think I've gotten 3 or 4 letters max, and score was very low when I did. Definitely a great machine to learn ball control on. I'll have to pay attention where my scoop return goes, but I think its directly to the left flipper which I assumed was intended.

Scoop should shoot to the left flipper and dead bounce to the right if you do nothing. Scoop is most likely busted on the weld. It's a small weld and that scoop takes a lot of beating. I removed mine and used JB weld on it and it has held up well ever since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre?tu=lesmanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.