(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#499 5 years ago

I recently tried to order new ramp flaps for my Ripley's from Pinball Life, but was told they are no longer available.

I submitted my 3 old ramp flaps to Cliffy which he used to create better than original replacement flaps.

He now offers a complete ramp flap set for RBION. They don't appear on his website, but they are now available for order at:

www.passionforpinball.com

Thank you Cliffy!!

20180430_130350 (resized).jpg20180430_130350 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#518 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Now I need to see if there is a way to adjust the Varitarget. Direct hits are not enough to push it all the way back 80% of the time, which is super frustrating. I have set the coil pulse strength to HARD as well.

It seems normal to not hit the vari all the way back 100%. It would be too easy.

There is a menu setting for the vari target though. Easy setting will not reset it back, leaving it half way, so the next shot easily pushes it all the way.

Hard setting must have a single shot to go all the way in, or it will reset.

Sounds like your vari target is set to hard.

3 months later
#632 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

So I've been troubleshooting my weak lower-right flipper problem and have some more info. This is getting strange and I need some suggestions as to where to go next. Basically, my current issue is best described thusly:
My lower-right flipper is weak when I hit the flipper button hard. A soft button press, or half press, results in a nice strong shot that backhands up the ramp nicely.
If I hit the button hard it's so weak that it barely makes it past the ramp flap.
It has nothing to do with the upper flipper because I taped over the leaf switch for it to test if that was part of the problem and the behaviour is unchanged.
How in the world would the speed at which I hit the flipper button translate inversely to the power of the flipper?
I can only think of one thing. The contacts on the Stern flipper leaf switches are not large round contact patches like B/W ones, they're thin 45º angled pieces of copper. Opposing contacts are at 90º to each other, so they form an X when they touch. Perhaps what's happening is that as the button is pressed in, and the leaf switches of the lower flipper come together first, continuing to press in causes them to bend together and the contact pieces rub against each other. A slightly rough surface might lead to less electrical contact as they rub.
A hard/fast press of the button makes this weakened electrical contact effect the stroke of the ball because the movement is happening as the flip is happening. I've already adjusted the contacts so that the lower flipper contact has minimal travel, but it's impossible to eliminate it because you definitely need to leave some travel for the upper flipper to stage them effectively during gameplay.
Is there a way I can smooth out the metal on the contacts? What would be the best material to use to do that?

I would check the EOS switch on the lower right flipper.

1 year later
#863 3 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

Does anyone have a long term hack for the shooter lane switch in this game. Every few months I end up having to spend a ridiculous amount of time to tweak the shooter lane switch to fix the "hyperactive switch" issue and all the problems that go along with that.
I love this game to death, but this issue just makes me want to throw this game out the window (after bringing over a few friends to get it out of the basement first)....

I've had Ripley's for seven years and have never experienced a shooter lane "hyperactive switch" issue

Maybe I'm not understanding the exact issue, but generally if a switch repeatedly acts flaky, I just replace it.

3 weeks later
#874 3 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

Just as an update, a day or two after writing this the hyperactive switch issue just disappeared; didn't do anything, it just started working never could find anything wrong with it.
Now the Idol opto is going crazy and registering phantom hits constantly. The optos are brand new, the opto board is brand new, the wiring is fine and for shits and giggles I replaced the resistors and transistor for that section of the switch matrix. Not surprisingly everything works perfectly fine is test mode.
This game is buggy as fu*k and I am about ready to call it quits and put it up for sale.

Try cleaning the pf area above the idol magnet. It might be dirty affecting the opto beam.

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

For those that have this game and DI. Do they shoot similar ?

I used to own both at the same time.

I always thought the two games were very similar rules-wise, disasters vs continents, collecting sim cards vs Ripley's letters. They both have lackluster callouts.

I didn't feel they shot the same though. I eventually found DI to be less fun after the thrill of experiencing the new technology wore off.

I like Ripley's better.

5 months later
#964 3 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Has ANYONE achieved Froggy Frenzy?

A buddy of mine got to it on my game once.

It is challenge to reach, and not very lucrative once you get there. I think he was getting 100k per shot.

I agree Atlantis is easier. I've reached Atlantis a couple of times, but Frog Frenzy never.

9 months later
#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

I got it sorted out, and you weren't too far off. After I lifted the PF to check the wiring, the F27 fuse started to blow right away when I turned the machine on. I ended up pulling every violet GI circuit bulb and checking the sockets. A small bead of solder got into the bulb socket under the right sling. The right side flipper apparently had enough vibration force to cause the short that killed the fuse. I removed the solder bead, hit all of the sockets with a shot of compressed air, replaced the LED for good measure, and all was well after that.

Excellent troubleshooting. Those pf issues can be pretty difficult to track down.

2 months later
#1171 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

How deep is this game? I have a shadow that I regularly get to the final battle so looking for another challenging pin.

I've reached Atlantis twice, but never reached Frog Frenzy. A friend once focused just on the super jackpots and reached Frog Frenzy. It was a very low scoring mode.

I've got a Shadow also. It's easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow.

#1178 2 years ago
Quoted from RonaldRayGun:

Anything by Pat Lawlor will probably fill your bucket, but the more obvious one is probably Twilight Zone.

Dialed In and RBION seem similar to me.

1 week later
#1193 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

One thing to check is the post under the shrunken head. It mushrooms over time and at some point, becomes really hard to replace without a hassle. The parts are easy, the swap is also easy if the top of the post still fits through the playfield. If not, PM me for some advise how to fix it…

Couldn't a dremel be used to slim the post if it is mushroomed?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.