(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlanetExpress.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1123 2 years ago

Saw this tribal art painted on bark at a consignment shop and needed it for a topper for my new RBION pickup. (Color DMD arrives tomorrow)

653A79DC-24A7-4E4D-90B8-04BBDCC9E8A5 (resized).jpeg653A79DC-24A7-4E4D-90B8-04BBDCC9E8A5 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#1144 2 years ago
Quoted from DeejayDara:

Well, I'm shit out of luck on getting an LED OCD here in the US aslo. Not predicted to be back in stock until April. :/

The GIzmo for your GI is still in stock…. It’s a start.

I opted to go with the GIzmo and LED OCD on my RBION to preserve more of the fade effect than what I heard the Comet non-ghosting bulbs would achieve. I’d be interested in seeing the fade effect with non-ghosting bulbs, as I didn’t have any to test and just took the sure path.

1 month later
#1191 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

amazon.com link »
Heres a great little add on Penguin.

I am not a mod guy, but that was the one mod I had to have! I remember playing RBION on location when it was new, and the operator had added that same penguin. When I got my machine, I knew the penguin was “missing.”

4 months later
#1209 1 year ago

Getting ready to do a rebuild of my RBION and have been collecting parts. I saw these Kicker CSC4 on sale at Amazon for $63 and know the cheap audio upgrade thread said good things about them. I installed them today and can confirm they are a nice upgrade to the stock speaker in RBION, but even better, they fit the same screw holes and are a perfect fit replacement. Audio is never going to be great (unless someone builds an upgraded PinSound option), but I think this makes it sound and look $63 better.

Front and back comparison to stock:
97D21F71-459E-41F2-ADFA-6E3C1235A2CB (resized).jpeg97D21F71-459E-41F2-ADFA-6E3C1235A2CB (resized).jpeg
3C25F2EE-995C-4912-B62C-3F377971E94F (resized).jpeg3C25F2EE-995C-4912-B62C-3F377971E94F (resized).jpeg

Installed view:
884E0DEE-D750-4222-8E30-36BDEF3126BC (resized).jpeg884E0DEE-D750-4222-8E30-36BDEF3126BC (resized).jpeg

Back in service (my speaker panel will get refinished and get the ArcadeVideo decal when I do my rebuild):
CFD0A792-7898-4209-B3BB-FB0B444BF743 (resized).jpegCFD0A792-7898-4209-B3BB-FB0B444BF743 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#1249 1 year ago

I”m prepping for a full rebuild of my RBION and thinking a TV mod playing clips of the subjects featured in the game would be neat. What do y’all think about a larger (2.8”) TV being added to RBION?

Here is a mock-up I printed to test the size and placement (I’m thinking over the right ramp):

456340D4-968E-42AB-9D4B-B358A30BF7DA (resized).jpeg456340D4-968E-42AB-9D4B-B358A30BF7DA (resized).jpeg7FD81615-04F4-446F-AA29-534854F08648 (resized).jpeg7FD81615-04F4-446F-AA29-534854F08648 (resized).jpeg
#1252 1 year ago
Quoted from MegadethHangar18:

Hey Mate I just put the exact Kicker Speakers in my Ripley's but the tech had to rewire the speakers in series! The speakers that came out of Ripley's were 8 ohm speakers and the kickers are 4 ohm speakers. The tech said if we didn't rewire in series and left it in parallel would've been a good way of overloading the sound board and stuffin it up real good!!
Anyway just to let ya know.

Thanks for the heads-up, I’ll recheck my wiring!

2 months later
#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

About to give RBION another chance. Found my old review and I was first. Help me find an alternate translite. I can’t stand the cab decals either but willing to shove cab between 2 games and stare at the new translite.
[quoted image]

Not an alternate, but I went with one signed by Gary and Pat, as I thought that was pretty cool: https://www.coinoppartsetc.com/product/games-parts-pinball-machine-parts/ripleys-believe-it-or-not-pinball-machine-game-translite

2 months later
#1293 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Three items to check soon:
1. The magnetic post under shrunken head. Usually mushrooms and gets more difficult to replace over time. If your has mushroomed, a number of comments here on easiest way to fix it.
2. The scoop welds. Hard to detect but makes eject inconsistent. I think Mantis still has replacements if needed.
3. The adjustment of the shooter lane ball guide to assure it hits the left orbit with a solid plunge. The shooter lane ball guide may need adjustment inward if the ball doesnt find the left orbit and there is a nut under the playfield that allows the guide to be adjusted.

I’d add a 4th: LED OCD and GI OCD boards. Your game has LEDs and if you don’t have the OCD boards, RBION is the worst looking game I have seen, as it uses lots of fade effects.

#1298 1 year ago
Quoted from bajm:

The glare from the backglass is pretty bad on this one. I didn’t see anywhere in the settings where I can bring the brightness down. Short of using voodoo glass or a glare guard (which doesn’t remove all of the glare), anyone have some easy solution?

The backglass is lit by a 20 watt fluorescent bulb. Check to see if the prior owner changed that to a higher watt bulb (based on the GI, I wouldn’t be surprised if they put in a 40 watt equivalent LED bulb).

1 month later
#1316 1 year ago
Quoted from Evets:

Yes, it's on my to do list. It sticks up enough that a ball will occasionally get stuck above it, if the magnet releases the locked ball in just the right way. That said, it only seems to happen in the first or second game after I turn the machine on. Hmm... In any case, it will be replaced or fixed.
I also need to sort out the lighting as it has the No-Ghosting LEDs installed, but I do not like them. Does RBION have fading effects? I'll probably revert the machine to incandescent bulbs, or I'll add the LEDOCD product (and have to change out all the LEDs because the NG variety doesn't work with LEDOCD, apparently).
I am really enjoying this pin, even though it highlights all of my weaknesses as a player. Time to finally practice the basic skills so I can control the ball well enough to complete the tasks in the allotted time.

RBION has lots of fade effects and the worst ghosting of LEDs I’ve seen. I did the OCD boards for the GI and controlled lighting and standard LEDs… looks great now.

#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

My ball keeps getting hung up on the shrunken head magnet. I have to nudge the machine a few times and then it’ll throw it back. Any Thoughts? Thx!

Easiest thing first: try a fresh ball to rule out the issue just being a magnetized ball.

5 months later
#1389 6 months ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Still have not figured out the knocker but my wife got me a colordmd for my birthday so had to install that. Game had speaker lights but I don't really care for them so removed them. Figured it'd be too much color. The dmd mount appears to be another custom addon to the game and I did have to modify it a little to fit the colordmd but other than that the install was a breeze.
[quoted image]

Good call, the color DMD is a great upgrade on RBION!

2 months later
#1406 4 months ago

Over the past few weeks I've been noticing that sometimes certain sounds will be just a screeching sound. The asia mode in particular will have the morse code sound like that. When it happens it seems to be the same particular sounds. I've been reading over sound issues like that and it appears it would most likely be the U7 chip. Has anyone else had an issue like this and resolved it by replacing that chip?

I had a very similar symptom with occasional sound issues. Replacing the sound ROMS fixed my issue and it has not occurred since. I replaced them all in one shot, so I don’t know which one(s) were at fault (U7, U17, U21, U36, U37).

1 week later
#1417 4 months ago

It sounds like we are having similar issues. I'm ordering a new set of sound roms for my machine and hopefully that fixes it. Matt's Basement has them cheaper than other places I've found
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/rbion-chip-set/
One interesting thing is that this site says there is a 1.01 upgraded sound version. I have not been able to find any information about that 1.01 update nor what is in it. Marco claims to have the 1.0 sound version.
Anyone know what the difference between 1.0 and 1.01 is? Hopefully it's stability lol.

I bought mine from Matt's Basement 10/21 and they were listed as v 1.0… 1.01 might just be a typo?

#1428 4 months ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Reading all I can about this game at this point until I actually have it. Noticed in the ratings comments that one of the main complaints I see over and over is the head and callout's (or lack thereof) Has anyone done any new and improved sound upgrades?

I wish…. I keep checking for someone to publish a PinSound for RBION, but only the OG sounds are available. I’d totally spring for PinSound to get stereo and a new soundtrack, but it isn’t worth it for just getting stereo.

2 months later
#1445 53 days ago

Can anyone explain why the red top pop bumpers seem to not always be lit the same? Often time one of the three is lit followed by a second and so forth. All lights work in test.

It's adjustable in the game feature menu for how many are lit to start. When lit, they are worth more. The Bozo award for pops maxes their value and lights them all. There is also some logic about hitting them to light them, etc…. It’s a Pat Lawlor thing, making pops a controlled light instead of GI.

#1446 53 days ago

Also wanted to ask if anyone has purple bands on their Ripley's? I'm going to need to do a set soon.

I have purple on my flipper rubber, but I’m moving to GITD when I rebuild RBION. For me, the purple matches too much.

IMG_1644 (resized).jpegIMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
#1452 52 days ago

Well unfortunately I can never leave well enough alone and tried to install my pin2dmd. I followed the instructions exactly and double checked each step. When it was time to power up the game I got a snap/ pop sound and something is fried. The game will no longer boot. I tried returning back to the original dmd but that only lights random dots here and there. Nothing responds in the buttons on the coin door.
I have no idea and certainly not an electrician by any means. I don't see any blown fuses but I doubt thats it. All the playfield lights are on but don't blink and flash as they should in attract mode.
No tech in my area either so really regretting my choice to change dmd.
Waited almost 3 months to get the game home and fried it the first night.
Steve

Try reaching out to:
pinballplusMN

Or his website: https://pinballplus.com/

#1459 51 days ago

Thank you!
EDIT: Just realized they are 249 miles from me. Not sure that will work.

Glad you found it was just a fuse!

If you ever need support, PinballplusMN may have other work in your area, or they have a drop-off option.

#1469 49 days ago

Made a quick video of my Pin2dmd issue. Hoping someone may have some idea on how this could be. It's beyond my skills to figure out. I guess when you buy a Ripley's you have to anticipate the strange, unusual and bizarre problems that accompany it.

Are you missing some plastic insulators on the sandwich of support posts? Just wondering if you have a short between the boards.

3 weeks later
#1509 28 days ago
Quoted from Crabspirits:

Does it have the playfield art on it?

If you have a roached playfield, NOS ones are still available at Marco.

My playfield is solid, but I love RBION, so I bought a NOS one and had Kruzman clear it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/43#post-6998192

#1513 27 days ago
Quoted from Sammer:

So how do you store a playfield? I would like to get one and clear it as well but worried it will warp.

If you’re going to have it stored for years, I’d put the rails on the bottom to help prevent warping and then hang it flat against a wall. If you buy one from Ron and have it shipped, standing his crate (with some interior padding removed) flat against a wall would be good, too. I personally have my cleared playfields stored flat on other project machines, but I plan to use those playfields soon’ish.

#1514 27 days ago
Quoted from Crabspirits:

That's a bit extreme for just a little ball wear though. For my Roadshow, I got a "Fish" mylar that was available and it repaired it really well.

That’s true, but I was wanting the best RBION possible, and the price isn’t crazy compared to what some spend on toppers, etc… Certainly isn’t a money making proposition, as nobody is going to pay $7k for a RBION, but for me the $2k sunk cost will totally be worth it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 45.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlanetExpress.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre?tu=PlanetExpress and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.