(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#624 5 years ago

So, I have a couple of requests from the RBION crowd. Short background is that I'm working on a custom speaker panel decal for somebody, but I don't live close enough to take measurements.

1. Does anyone have or can the make a trace of the speaker panel (i.e. the outline with length, width, and exact location and trace of DMD and speaker cutouts?

2. Does anyone have any graphics files I can download of any of the cabinet/backbox art so that I can match the colors?

#626 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I can't help with the speaker panel (I think the only reliable result you're going to get, since the cutouts are all bevelled, is for some one to measure all of the sizes and distances of everything, and also measure the corner radii, so you can produce a new drawing to those specs.
I can help with the colour matching. I don't have graphic files but I've got a Pantone swatch book so happy to help match anything you need.

That would be awesome. A pantone number close to the yellow maps on the backbox and the blue used would be perfect. Also, please be sure to note on the Pantone values if you are matching the spot color or the CMYK (if you have a Pantone color bridge the CMYK version of the Pantone color is my preference, otherwise I'll work with whatever you can provide).

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

No worries. I've only got PMS values on my swatch book, no CMYK. In my work I always ask the printer to give me their CMYK values for any given PMS colour.
The blue is: PMS 2748
The yellow maps are tough to match because there's such an aggressive halftone in the printing and there is so much graduation from the worn paper look. Best I could get from a section with the least amount of 'dirt' is PMS 107.
I'd suggest possibly ignoring the cabinet art when designing the speaker panel anyway because it's much more an extension of the translite artwork than it is an extension of the cabinet artwork.

Thanks. I may have not explained clearly. I do a lot of process printing, so I have a Pantone color bridge (pantone stick with the solid color version of the pantone value on the left and the CMYK version on the right of that same Pantone number). Often times, these colors are the same value, but look different due to one being spot color and the other being process. Therefore, I'm assuming your Pantone stick is most likely not the bridge but just the spot colors, which is fine. My only other question is if you used the coated or uncoated Pantone chart when matching the colors?

FYI, when looking at Solid color on the Pantone chart blue 2758 RGB|0:30:98 & the yellow 107 RGB|251:225:34. However, the blue when processed is more purple and the yellow is a little lighter. Even so, this is great info and very helpful.

Finally, I don't plan on duplicating any artwork that is already on the pin. Rather, I just wanted to make sure that my color scheme doesn't clash in any way. Thanks again for your help!

#630 5 years ago

Thanks to all, I have my speaker panel template by way of Aurich.

1 month later
#660 5 years ago

Okay RBION club, I've been working on something and have just finalized the design on a custom speaker panel decal for the pin. Before I make these available, I wanted to engage the level of interest. They are quite time consuming to create (I make them by hand), and therefore would be asking $50 each plus shipping (probably < $10).

Take a look, and just post to this thread if you would be serious/committed to purchasing one.

For full details, I print these on high quality OEM gloss photo media using a six color photo inkjet printer with OEM inks only (i.e. I don't cut any corners or expense by using third party lesser quality paper or ink). I then cover with 3mil gloss vinyl to project the image and to make the decal more durable. For the adhesive, I use Scotch permeant double sided tape around all edges and throughout the body of the decal. Finally, I cut using a straight edge to make sure all edges are clean and straight. I've made a couple of these speaker panel decals for others, and they both look and perform great (not to mention the hundreds of other decals I've sold using this same methodology). If interest is high enough, I might explore what it would take to have them professionally printed on adhesive vinyl, but I don't know if/how that might impact the cost.

So with the above stated, here are the pics. Please note that if I do produce them, I will be offering in two variations: with and without the photos.

b.jpgb.jpga.jpga.jpg

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg

#664 5 years ago

Hey guys, I appreciate everyone's comments. However, it seems that I may not have made something clear. Right now I'm gauging general interest for those who would want to buy either of the designs. In other words, if/when I make them available, each buyer will get to pick from the two versions the style they want. This is not an either/or situation . . . i.e. each individual at time of order will be able to choose 1) design with pics or 2) design w/o pics.

If there are only a couple of people interested, then I'll proceed with my homemade version. However, if there are several who are seriously interested then I'm going to explore having them professionally made due to the time and effort it takes to create them.

Keep up the feedback, and I appreciate everyone's interest.

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I second this opinion

It most likely is a brighter yellow than the apron decals. Since I don't own one myself or have access to one locally, I had to go by pics of the backbox sides I could find online. If anyone has a decal or some other actual piece they would be willing to let me borrow, then I could match the coloring, as various photos are all over the place. I'm definitely open to changing the color, but I need a live sample.

Alternatively, if someone has access to a pantone color bridge (coated), they could give my the closest Pantone number based on the CMYK swatch. Well, I guess I could even take a standard Pantone chart number then match the CMYK myself. Would just need to be clear on what Pandone standard was being utilized.

2 weeks later
#683 5 years ago

RBION owners, I'm getting really close to knowing if I'm going to be able to offer professionally printed versions of my speaker panel decal (adhesive vinyl with a clear gloss coating). As soon as I know, I will post pics and then get formal orders. I will only be able to do one single run, so I'll provide all of the details when I'm ready, give everyone a week or two to commit, take down payments, then we will be off and running.

1 week later
#691 5 years ago

Okay guys, I'm back to discuss my custom speaker panel decal. I received my first professional printed version in the mail yesterday, and I must say that the materials and the cutting look incredible. The media is a high quality adhesive white vinyl with a gloss coat. The decal cutout is by machine so the lines are perfectly straight and tight, and the rounded edges of the cutouts are flawless. Take a look at the pic below, as this is the actual decal (the decal is fully cut and the white area is just the protected backing to be peeled off).

However, I think that my coloring could be better. As I've stated before, I don't have access to a RBION for me to visually inspect and to determine color values. Therefore, before I can post details of offering these for sale, I really need the assistance of the community. "Accidental" has provided estimated Pantone values of the graphics, but others have requested that instead of matching the yellow of the side art that the coloring be closer to the tones on the apron decals.

So, here is what I am asking:
1) I am only going to make one version of the decal (see pic). Based upon feedback at this point, most prefer the version I have without the oddity photos. However, for those of you who may be interested, do you think matching the bright yellow of the cabinet art would be best and mix in with the backglass or would you prefer the muted coloring of the apron decals?
2) Does somebody have an extra apron decal that they can send me to borrow (I will return)?
3) Can someone at a minimum give me a Pantone value (coated - processed) of the cards and even provide me a photo with the Pantone stick on top of the apron decal so that I can see it?

Once I have this, then I'm ready to test print a final version and then offer the decal to the community.

As a FYI, here is what I'm thinking at this point:

1) This is going to be a one time print run only, and I'm only printing what I have orders for (i.e. no extras for those who may be interested in the future). In other words, you must commit and order when I make them available, or you will forever lose your chance.
2) I need at least 5 commitments to print, but if we get to 10 I will be able to lower the price a few dollars.
3) Projected cost will be $50 at qty 5, and $45 or maybe less at qty 10+ (I haven't calculated shipping costs yet, but probably around $10 to USA - outside US will be calculated on a per order basis). Again, once I have a final number from the printer based on quantities, the costs could come down slightly (they absolutely will not increase).
4) I will require a $20 deposit to secure your order, then the balance will be due before shipment.
5) From the time I make the offer, I will provide a window of at least 2 weeks for commitments and deposits. Everyone will have ample time to commit before I close the opportunity. If we don't get at least 5, then I will refund everyone's deposit at time of closing the offer.

You will have to trust me on this one, but I have dozens of people who have purchased from me in the past that will speak to my character, and I've even had one project that did not make the cut where I happily refunded everyone's money. This is a hobby of mine, not a business. My motives are to use what skills/talents I have to contribute to the pinball community as a whole in a fair and affordable manner.

Anyway, please give me your feedback on the coloring (match the yellow of the side art or the tan of the apron decals), and again if someone could please give me a close Pantone color to the apron art (a pic with the Pantone swatch overlapping one of the apron decals would be ideal), then I'll decide on a final coloring and open up my offering to the group.
RBION.jpgRBION.jpg

#694 5 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

The speaker panel looks nice and I’d be in for one. I think it would look better matching the back glass as it would be right next to it and visible from the same angle, yeah?

That was kind of my thought. FYI, I found a local Pinsider who owns a RBION, so I've reached out to see if he will let me have access to it. If he does, then I can really hone in on accurate coloring.

1 week later
#695 5 years ago

Well guys, no response from local owner I PM'd yet. I'll keep trying and looking for others.

1 month later
#742 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre/page/14#post-4645757
pic.jpgpic.jpg

Alright guys, I'm back. Just to fill everyone in, I've been trying to gain access to a RBION in person but still have not been able to do so. I really want to do this so that I can color match the yellow as best as possible (of course, who knows what fade a pin I get access to may or may not have). I've also been exploring the professional printing route, but this is not going to work for a few reasons. Even though the costs are good, there are issues with coloring and that nasty copyright stuff.

As a result, I will still need to make them by hand, but I've changed the way I will produce them - the key change being the adhesive backing (I was using double-sided tape).

1) Printed on 6 color photo quality inkjet printer using OEM inks (no cheap third party stuff)
2) Printed as a single piece on OEM ultra gloss photo paper (again, no cheap third party stuff)
3) Laminated on top with 3 mil clear gloss vinyl
4) Full coverage extremely high tach adhesive backing - once it place it will not lift, peel, or color change

With the above stated, are there any owners out there in the Dallas Fort Worth area that would give me access to their pin? If I could at least get the colors matched then I'd be ready to offer these backbox decals to the group. Cost of materials is high, labor is extensive, and if I mess anything up the waste is expensive. With that stated, I'm going to most likely set the price up to around $75 including shipping to US residence (I will ship outside of US, but will have to one-off quote shipping).

So, at this point please let me know if you or anyone you know in my area has a RBION, and let me know if you would be interested in purchasing one so that I can engage interest. You are welcome to post replies here, or if you want privacy you may PM me.

One last thought, I've heard they have a RBION pin in the RBION location here in DFW, but I don't know if you have to pay to get in to see it or if it is in the public spaces. Has anyone every been to this location (I believe it is in Grand Prairie)? I may try to give them a call in the next few days and ask. I could take my pantone stick and nail down the colors there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.