(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoolCatPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#168 7 years ago

Nice!! I gotta get mine all tuned up first though

#169 7 years ago

So, on my new RBION, the plain flat black speaker cover bugs me. I'm thinking of buying a spare and painting it a color that flows better with the rest of the game. Another idea would be to print off some vintage ripleys images from the Web and apply them to the panel sort of like the art on the side of the cabinet, then clear the whole thing. Or even print off one large Ripleys logo, and "wrap" the panel. Suggestions? Comments? Better ideas?

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Add some light up speakers and they dress up the plain panel considerably. Or just add a speaker insert of a ripleys image.

You may very well be right. I might just mock up some pieces of wood and try multiple ideas. Looks like the original cover is just 3/4" MDF anyway.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Bamboo wrap is what I would like to do, one day?

Oh yeah! That would look good! You talking about that bamboo looking grass textured wallpaper? Like this stuff?

X1CKEHES_210 (resized).jpgX1CKEHES_210 (resized).jpg

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Crap, looks like I gotta send my sound board in for repairs.

Noob question, but where/who does repairs on those? Just in case I ever need em'

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

The guy doing the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Homebrew Pinball has a very interesting "hydroprinting" technique for printing a wood texture on to plastic/metal. You might be able to use the same process.

I'll have to investigate that

#183 7 years ago

So here's a question, I'll try and be clear...lol When I light the lock for multiball, and the right ramp lock is lit, I hit the first ball up the ramp, it drops into that lock chute, and the game says "ball 1 locked". I launch a new ball, lock is still lit. I hit the second ball up the right ramp into the chute. Instead of saying "ball 2 locked", it ejects both balls. Lock is still lit. If I manage to hit another ball up the ramp, it then says "ball 2 locked" even though there's 1 ball in the chute, and 1 in play. I can then hit the shrunken head for 3 ball multi ball. Is that normal?

#187 7 years ago

There's definately 4 balls installed. It's a new machine for me, and I was certain that for a while it was 1 ball lock, then 2 balls locked, then the head for multiball. It's just started this weird behavior of lock 1, then 2nd lock ball gets ejected, then hit the lock again for 2 locked balls. I have a feeling it's something to do with the second rollover switch. I'll check now

#189 7 years ago

The wires under the switches all look good. Switches feel good, the wires under the second rollover did come loose during transport, but I resoldered them and they're solid. Is there a multiball difficult setting in the menus?

Just did a switch test, they all indicate active when I touch them

#190 7 years ago

Did a factory reset. It behaved normally 1 time then went back to the weird behavior. Here's a link to a quick youtube video I made of the behavior.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

First of all let me say there's isn't anything QUICK ABOOT THAT VIDEO
But seriously...wtf is that? Makes no sense other than number of balls in machine. OK...are all your trough switches working? Put all all balls down the trow...sorry trough, and go into switch test and make sure it sees all the balls in the game.

Lol, making fun of me... I did good to get that thing posted

#194 7 years ago

Ok, problem solved, take note in case you ever run into this. The top most rollover switch wire was tweaked underneath the playfield. It was bent just right so that most of the time the switch was closed but not always. I just bent the wire a bit so the switch could open and close freely, and problem solved!

20170317_180430 (resized).jpg20170317_180430 (resized).jpg

#195 7 years ago

Ok, last question, hopefully... sorry guys... if there are balls left in the right side lock when the game ends, should the game eject them automatically? My machine isn't.

#199 7 years ago

Thanks a ton everyone! I appreciate your help and patience with a new pinball owner! I'm learning alot FAST!

#200 7 years ago

Just curious, has anyone had any success getting the ball to travel from the shooter all the way around to the pop bumpers at the top? Or does everyone's ball just bump the post like mine? Even after adjusting.

#204 7 years ago

Yes, I do mean across the playfield and back around to the right. I can always do a soft plunge to hit the skill shot. Or, is it even supposed to go all the way around? It just seems like it's not supposed to hit the post at full plunge strength, is it?

#206 7 years ago

Super jackpot plunge would definitely be nice during multiball. Maybe I'll just adjust it to hit that

#207 7 years ago

This wasn't my idea, I saw someone else here do it, but I have a couple penguins now over the penguin lane!

20170318_162107 (resized).jpg20170318_162107 (resized).jpg

#209 7 years ago

Adjusted so full plunge goes to top lanes then bumpers or SKILL SHOT

What color spring are you using?

1 month later
#217 6 years ago

Hey guys, I need a replacement switch for under the ball scoop. I can't seem to find an exact part # or replacement. I was hoping to avoid buying a generic switch and bending it to work. The closest thing I can find is this one from pinball life. Any ideas? Thanks!

Screenshot_20170508-094507 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170508-094507 (resized).png

#219 6 years ago

Oh sweet!! That's an exact bolt on? No bending required? I'm not sure how I overlooked that one.

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Original switch in the manual...better order a couple
Section 4, chapter 2, page 85
Micro Switch (Happ #95-1128-00) - 180-5183-00

Thanks a ton man

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from pintuck:

My new ColourLED is coming in the mail for my RBION
Going to try the ColourLED in it first, then swap my colourDMD from Family Guy into RBION and see which is better.
Love RBION!

Definitely report back to us, I'm curious what the main differences are to a player's eye. Not just technical specs.

1 week later
#226 6 years ago

So, recently, my RBION has started acting up again. This time, the temple code keeps changing and making the slot machine noise. Sometimes back to back. Any ideas on what may be going on? I'm thinking dirty optics. Maybe? Hopefully just a cleaning needed?

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

So, recently, my RBION has started acting up again. This time, the temple code keeps changing and making the slot machine noise. Sometimes back to back. Any ideas on what may be going on? I'm thinking dirty optics. Maybe? Hopefully just a cleaning needed?

Well, I located the opto controller board under the playfield, everything looked ok, but I unplugged and replugged the connectors that go to the optos. Just made sure everything was seated nice and tight. The game seems to work fine now......lol. such finicky machines

#233 6 years ago

Mine also drops a bit off sometimes. Seems random. Just depends on how the ball hits the bottom. I just assumed that was normal. Maybe just slightly bend the 1 wire to the left? Encourage the ball to drop right?

3 weeks later
#237 6 years ago

As I was browsing games and their ratings comments earlier, I noticed one that confused me and made me want to vent just a bit. The most recent rating comment for our Ripleys machine says that he feels the game is "Problematic in its depiction of people of color". What is this guy seeing that I'm not? Is it the shrunken head on the backglass? The Jamaican accent? If that's the case, someone needs to lighten up. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyway, that's my rant

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He's from Seattle...they're kind of touchy-feely over there.

I guess so....lol.

2 weeks later
#246 6 years ago

My scoop had broken welds on the right side when I bought the game. It wasn't apparent until I removed the whole mechanism and looked at it. It's a wonder they're not all broken from the abuse that thing takes. I had it spot welded back up. Works like a charm now.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Just got the (LCD) Color DMD!
Makes a HUGE difference on this title (biggest diff of all my four Color DMD games)! Didn't really realize how much everything blended together on the standard RBION display, but there is a LOT of detail now with the color!
Definitely a mandatory upgrade for all RBION lovers!

Awesome! I'm hoping to get one sometime for mine

2 weeks later
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Hi, just joined the club. First thing, pull the batteries, and here it fails already. I took the cam lock out (key was missing), and tried to lift the translate out....no go, it won't lift up enough to get the bottom over the speaker panel. Is there some secret hidden restrain on this pin?
Thanks

Not that I'm aware of. Mine just lifts out once the lock is undone. It can be a bit stubborn sometimes

#257 6 years ago

You can reset through the software I'm 99% sure. Latest code should be 3.2. Not sure about the freezing up problem. I'm kind of a noob, some guys here with much more experience can probably help you out on that one

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from Rackleye:

Joined the club a couple months ago with RBION as my first pin. Great game and really enjoying it. Anyone else having issues with the scoop shooting the ball straight down the middle drain missing the left flipper completely. Mine seems pointed straight down the drain and almost looks bent to the right. Does that sound like a broken weld. Guess I should take it off and check. I'd guess 30% of the time it's not even possible to touch the ball. I've had 6 Million point games where the only points scored were skill shots.

I bet you money it's a broken weld. Mine did almost the same thing until rewelded.
Edit: just saw your post above saying the welds looked good. mine has a cliffy and it doesn't affect the ball trajectory at all. I'd just tweak the scoop

1 month later
#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Lawlor_and_Order:

And yes, this sucker's inside, between the glass and the display.

Ohhh yikes!!! How creepy! Maybe a welcome addition to an AF machine though

2 weeks later
#289 6 years ago

Hey guys, maybe a dumb question, but after I finish a continent, what triggers the next continent to start blinking on the playfield?

#291 6 years ago

Right ramp re lights continents when not lit and then either vary target or sometimes VUK will start mode. If I remember right.

Thanks!!

#292 6 years ago

One more thing I havnt figured out. What's the function of the sign in the back right corner that says " believe it or not, kick up score when lit" and it has the A, B, C that are sometimes lit.

1 month later
#304 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaBeast:

Does anyone have any tips on being consistent with the skill shot? I've been trying to get a system down by trying different things like pulling the plunger back to different dash markings, using more of less "snap" in my release, etc. Nothing has been super consistent though. Advice?

Yes, it's hard to explain though. I was shown in person by another Rbion owner, and it works once you adjust. I place my thumb against the lockdown bar, and push back on the plunger with my "bird" finger. Let the plunger snap off your finger once proper tension is reached. It's far more precise and consistent. I can hit the skill shot about every 3rd shot

3 weeks later
#316 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No that's not true and I've never heard anyone say that. Essential hitting the right ramp with right flipper. Left ramp with right flipper is much tougher... Just post pass if you need to.
Heck right orbit with right flipper is important too.

What he said It's definitely easier to hit the ramps with the left flipper, but with some practice, you can use the right also.

#318 6 years ago

Left ramp with right flipper rarely happens for me. Almost always just an accident.

1 week later
#328 6 years ago

Mine goes to the right maybe 1 out of 7 times. The rubbers and posts definitely slope to the left.

#333 6 years ago

While we're talking about the top right area, can someone explain the rules/rewards with this part of the machine? I've owned the game about a year now, and can't figure out any correlation between this display, and rewards.

20171212_203446 (resized).jpg20171212_203446 (resized).jpg

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Those explain what is going to happen when you shoot the scoop, Aka "kick up." Confusing totally since it's closer to the continent vuk/kick up and not related, and labeled ABC and has nothing to do with the temple.
Anywhom, you don't change it, it changes telling you what is next. When the scoop is lit "event" is lit back there. If the Idol is off it moves
"To wake up idol" for your next shot etc.

Ahhh!! I see, it's the scoop, not the Vuk! Man, that is confusing given it's location. Totally makes sense now. Thanks!

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Just picked this bad boy up.

Sweet!! It's a fun and challenging game. I've realized there's modes and graphics I'll never get to see

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

How do you reset the Grand Champions score? I've manually changed the GC score in the adjustments and reset HSTD. I've installed home version so it sets it at 5mil and reset HSTD and nothing happens.

I tried also with no success. I just eventually beat the damn score Maybe someone here with more experience can help you out. Good luck!

1 week later
#361 6 years ago

Hi everyone, I need some help. I've noticed an abnormality on my Ripley's Game. What is happening is this, if you have two balls in the right side lock, and then you start a continent mode which requires two balls on the Playfield such as North America or Antarctica, the game puts the two balls out onto the Playfield as it should, and then continuously keeps trying to eject another ball. If you drain a ball on the Playfield, it's simply ejects it back out and you keep going. This will continue indefinitely you cannot get it to stop that I can tell. The only way to end it is to turn the game off or tilt. It doesn't happen if there's only one ball in the right side lock, only when there's two balls in the right side lock and a continent mode is started that requires two balls on the Playfield. Has anyone else experienced this?

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never experienced that. Does it do it Everytime on your machine or did this just happen once?

Happens every time. Must be 2 balls in right side lock, then start any continent that requires 2 balls on the playfield. May as well turn the game off....

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll take a look

You have a chance to check out your machine yet? Mine did it 2x tonight. I had a nice score going, then accidentally triggered the problem again. Completely ruined my game. I'm just totally stumped at this behavior

#367 6 years ago

Ok, I figured out my issue. There are 3 rollover switches and 2 opto switches in the ball trough. All rollover switches checked out fine. The problem was the forward most optic board. Apparently it is very sensitive to how it is positioned and it has rubber bushings in the screw holes that hold it in place. Anyway, long story short, it just needed repositioning. It was registering as if a ball was there when one wasnt. So, when all four balls were out on the playfield, it was still trying to eject another. BubbaBeast, hope it's that easy a fix for you as well

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaBeast:

Scribbles this is awesome, thanks for doing the investigative work to figure it out. Can you tell me what this looks like and how you repositioned it to fix it?

This board is right up front, right hand side. Mine needed to rotate slightly counterclockwise.

Screenshot_20180107-170818 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180107-170818 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#373 6 years ago

Nice! Also, just an update for you regarding the optic board issue. Mine keeps misbehaving. I can adjust it and it acts fine for a few games, then starts acting up again. I've tried reflowing the solder points on the boards but it didn't help. I've now ordered a new transmitter/receiver board set. The pair was $13.99.... no brainer there. I'll let you know if that finally fixes the problem for good

2 weeks later
#394 6 years ago
Quoted from Lawtalkinguy:

Where’re did you get it, Cash?

Mine was plug and play also. A guy here on the forum sells them. I forgot his username though it took literally about 30 minutes to install it and I think it looks great

#417 6 years ago

Anyone have part #'s for the 2 opto boards under the shrunken head? I can't seem to find it in my manual. I'm having spotty opto issues there. Already ordered a new opto amplifier board for under the playfield. Thanks!

Btw, the new optos for the trough fixed my weird issue I asked about a few weeks ago

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Anyone have part #'s for the 2 opto boards under the shrunken head? I can't seem to find it in my manual. I'm having spotty opto issues there. Already ordered a new opto amplifier board for under the playfield. Thanks!
Btw, the new optos for the trough fixed my weird issue I asked about a few weeks ago

I found the optics and have them on order. Now the big question... has anyone replaced them yet? How the hell am I supposed to get to them?! The ones at the shrunken head

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You're talking about the physical opto sensors?

Yes, the actual sender and receiver units. They look absolutely buried

#425 6 years ago

Thanks for the pics TheLaw!

#427 6 years ago

Looks good ! Is that a color DMD installed? Does anyone here have a color DMD installed? I just ordered the LCD version for mine last night. What's your thoughts on it?

#432 6 years ago

I don't mind the $400 bucks. I was at a locar bar that has 5 privately owned machines on location, all of which had color dmds in them. That's all it took for me. Seeing those graphics in all their glory Besides, I'm justifying it by saying it's my birthday present to myself

#434 6 years ago

Help me out guys. I'm in the middle of installing my new color DMD. The plastic cover for my old DMD on my Ripley's machine is red. Is this new color DMD meant to work with that red cover? Should I have purchased a clear cover? I don't see anything in the instruction manual about a red lens. Has anyone else run into this?

#436 6 years ago

I guess it was replaced because it is definitely red...lol. I went ahead and installed the new dmd without any cover for now just to see how it looked. Clear one is on order
The new display is pretty impressive although I was hoping for a bit better on the resolution. It's sort of blocky honestly.

#439 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! I bought the Lcd version and just got done playing with the settings. I'm very happy with the way the settings for dots and dots XL, and even tile look. That is what I was expecting. The display just came preset out of the box to the scan setting, which I wasn't a big fan of. I wanted the display to mimic the look of the old DMD, but in color of course. The dots setting, or the dots XL setting do this perfectly. Now that I have it set to dots XL, I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. Now just to get that clear piece of Plexi installed!

#441 6 years ago

Just some helpful info here. The optics for the shrunken head aren't nearly as difficult as one might expect to swap out. Just pop off the shrunken head, remove four 8mm lock nuts that hold the plastics in place, and bingo. You now have access to the 4 screws that secure the optics. It's tight quarters in there for sure, and pretty fiddly, but definitely less labor than I expected. Whole process took about 45 minutes. No more false hits, plus, the magnet seems to launch the ball much stronger now

#450 6 years ago

Mine just has a regular 12v red led in it, and it's worked for hundreds of games now. I hope your issue isn't something deeper than an Led. Is the game new to you?

3 weeks later
#463 6 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

OK, new issue. Today the magnet under the shrunken head has stopped "throwing" the ball like it should. It will either barely toss it up hard enough to get to the poppers or it won't make it that far and just drops back out from under the head. Is there an adjustment for this?

My magnet started doing the same thing a few weeks before my optics under the head went bad. I have no idea why/how/or even if the 2 are related, but eventually the optics wouldn't stop the ball under the head. After replacing the optics, bingo, the magnet now works great.

1 week later
#472 6 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

I've been out of the loop for a bit, so apologies if it's already been covered, but is there a solution/workaround for a mushrooming magnet? The previous owner of mine never replaced it and it tore up a little bit of the PF, I replaced it first thing but I can see it happening again with the current magnet core.

I've never had any issues with mine. However, if it's already mushrooming, I imagine you'll need to remove it, and bring it back to level again. It's super easy to adjust, so removal shouldn't be too bad. Once it's level just put it back in the machine level with the playfield, and you should be good to go

#477 6 years ago

Wouldn't the ball wear a hole through the tape almost instantly over the magnet? Then it would start getting sticky residue on the rest of the playfield and the balls themselves?

#479 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The ball doesn't wear through a piece of mylar instantly. It's just thick tape.

Yes, agreed, but packing tape is super thin. I bet you it wears through after just a few stops. Plus, the magnet is exerting enough force on the ball that it "mushrooms" the top of the magnet. I'd be genuinely surprised if it survives. No one I know of puts mylar directly on top of an exposed magnet

#483 6 years ago

Shouldn't matter like the law said. I don't think there's any instance where the position matters.

2 weeks later
#494 6 years ago

So , guys, I have searched for the answer to this question and cant find an answer. How do I reach Atlantis? I see lots of threads about "I reached it" , but no one explains how

#498 5 years ago

The core of the magnet is super easy to adjust. I adjusted mine around a month ago. Just loosen the large nut under the playfield, then spin the core up or down until its flush with the playfield. Re tighten the nut, and done. I imagine the core would come right out of the top of the playfield if necessary in order to grind it level

4 weeks later
#511 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Same readings as yours, active switches trough 1-4 and vari target opto #1

Good to know I did know the trough switches should register, but I was unsure about the vari target opto. Mine also shows active. I just never concerned myself with it since it didn't seem to be affecting game play. Where the hell is the vari target opto anyway? I've looked for it, but never seen one

4 weeks later
#553 5 years ago

Does anyone here own a Roller Coaster Tycoon? Only asking because I just started a RCT club if any one is interested. I do own a Ripleys, and since they're similar era stern games and both Lawlor designs, I thought I'd ask.

#555 5 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

Just as a heads up, the color DMD firmware has been updated to 3.2.

Sweeet! Thanks!!

#556 5 years ago

Looks much better now

1 week later
#577 5 years ago

My idol definitely is NOT always lit. I'm not sure what wakes him up, but once I hit him a few times, light goes out

1 week later
#583 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello guys,
my Ripley's is gone. but that's temporary ^^
check this out, hope it gonna gets a lot of love at the hospital
https://www.deslumieresdanslesyeux.fr/en/2018/07/05/thisisreal/

Nice!!

#588 5 years ago

Awesome, you'll love it. I think Ripleys is an underappreciated game. Great bang for your money.

1 week later
#594 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Although we have another Ripley’s at the museum... I do wonder if the day will come when I regret selling that one.
It’s grown on me a lot. One of my top three favorites here!

I dont think I'll ever sell mine. Once you know the rules and the shots to make to complete goals, its incredibly challenging and fun to play. I've noticed it keeps slowly creeping higher on the top 100 list.

1 month later
#618 5 years ago

Added the Tombstone decals. Looks nice!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a set on mine as well. They look soooooo much better than the plain white squares. Plus they help new players spot them for certain modes.

3 weeks later
#640 5 years ago

Anyone have ColorDMD on their machine? Looking to add this. LED vs. LCD, any thoughts?

I have one and I LOVE it! I went with LCD for the reason stated by Thelaw. The LCD version is an actual screen made to look like dots, and you can change the display settings easily to change the look. The LED version is actual LEDs, so there arent any options for changing the appearance

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from r0ddan:

I would search the forum for this if I only knew what to search for...
My rbion is kind of beat up in som places. The scoop hole is one of those places along with the two posts that guards the hole. I have just now done my best at fixing this. I unscrewed the scoop from underneath and worked the hole and the hole for the left post with jb weld. It’s far from perfect since I’m not a handy man, but it will work. But when I put it all together again and tried the game the scoop fires to the right flipper and not to the left. I am for sure getting a nervous breakdown... what am I supposed to adjust?

When you had the scoop out, did you check the welds on it? They're notorious for breaking, causing the ball to eject all over the place. I had to have mine re-welded. If the welds are good, you must have something not aligned properly. That's a pretty big shift from left to right.

1 week later
#647 5 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I just committed the cardinal sin of taking some clear plastic pieces off of the top of the right ramp on my RBION without taking pictures of how it looked when I got started. If anyone is near a Ripley's, could you be so kind as to post a picture of the top of the right ramp near the "Did you know" sign? The plastics I am referring are 2 clear ones... one is a small crescent moon shaped one with 2 holes in it, and the other is a larger oblong piece. They are seperated by posts. As careful as I was when I laid them out in my parts dish as I took them out, my memory isn't what it used to be and I can't figure out which one goes where.
Thanks in advance for any help!

I can when I get home from work if no one else helps out first

2 weeks later
#661 5 years ago

I would be interested in the non photo version. I think the photos make it look a little too busy. I love the simple map version.

#666 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd do plain, the photo version is a bit to symmetrical fro my tastes. I also feel like the yellow is touch too bright? If I look at the apron's yellow vs. the new yellow it's just too bright. Or maybe it just seems that way; just my 2¢

I second this opinion

#671 5 years ago
Quoted from BubbaBeast:

Thank you sir - I'll take a look and see if I can make out a break in the scoop. Pardon my noobness on this but where exactly are the welds?

The scoop can be removed rather easily from below the playfield. Once its removed, you will see the welds. They're obvious. Mine were broken also. Make sure whoever welds it is pretty precise and used stainless material. EDIT: You cant see the welds good enough while the scoop is mounted. Just remove it.

2 weeks later
#685 5 years ago

It's such a fun and very challenging game once you understand the rules. I think this title will become more and more sought after as people continue to discover it.

3 weeks later
#699 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Think I need some help....my machine seems to play correctly except the annoying idol sounds are constant and it seems to score points and lights are flashing constantly. It does stop every now and then when in a continent mode or something else but mostly on all the time. Started looking at the switches...but thought maybe someone could direct me to a quick solution. Optos? Any ideas?

Almost certainly the optics under the idol. Mine did the same thing. They're notorious for going out. Cheap fix also. Easy to replace. Bet you money that's your issue.

#704 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

So...clear this up for me please. Optic switch under idol is working....block led with ball or finger and it shows active switch...but only when I block it does the chatter and lights stop....when operating normally, it just won't shut up. Does that mean new assemblies and board?

I'd replace the opto assemblies themselves first. They're most likely the problem. They're just a few dollars each. I actually bought spares to keep on hand. They register false hits when going bad. Hence blocking them stopping the chatter makes sense. Some folks may recommend redoing the solder on the optos, but they're so cheap, I'd just replace them.

1 week later
#710 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Are you talking about the magnet leads? Or opto leads?

Replace the freakin' optos already.... problem solved...

3 weeks later
#726 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Just an update....finally ordered and received the optos after the holidays and installed two days ago. And you guys were right....machine plays like a different machine...everything is so peaceful and quiet and normal. Almost miss those chattering idols....not. Thanks to everyone.

You're welcome, I had a feeling.....

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

OK try to explain a little more. Do you mean the left side? There isn't anything to the right side of the ball plunger

Perhaps his scoop started ejecting balls to the right? I'm just guessing of course....

#731 5 years ago

Just got one! Pristine exemple with pinstadium. A It’s an hidden gem!!!
Really hard but not to deep. The kind of game who makes you a better player for sure!
A Colordmd is a must!!

Very nice!!! You'll love it

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

the optical sensors must always be illuminated in red light; in my own the optical sensor on the left of the tomb stone seems to work and has red light, the other two on the head do not work. What should I do? I can fix them somehow?

Easy cheap fix. Just buy 2 new optics and replace them. They're cheap. I'd buy extras to keep on hand. Shipping will probably cost more than the parts.

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Thanks. You have correct link for this product? and
the optical sensors must always be illuminated in red light;

This is where I buy mine
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-opto-transceiver.html

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm looking to sell my RBION. I'm in New Zealand and it's one of the only RBION's in the country, so most prospective buyers have never played it. So I made a gameplay video and a basic tour of the features. It was my first time speaking on camera and I had fun with it! I nearly made it to Frog Frenzy. Those who are interested, you can see it here:

Awesome video man! Don't sell it, you'll regret it! You were rockin' those Super jackpots. I have to work on my multi stage upper flipper skills after seeing that.

1 week later
#752 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Hello
I would like to ask you if I can delete the factory high scores and save only my high scores.
The same thing I would like to do to the other my pinball of williams and bally

You can not totally delete the factory high scores. You CAN set the default factory high scores to be very very low. That way you just play a few games, and bingo, your scores are the new high scores

#755 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

And the same can be done in williams and bally pinballs?

I'm not certain as I do not own any bally/William's games. I would assume so, but that's just a guess

#756 5 years ago

RBION before and after Pinstadium LED light kit install. Man, what a difference!! My Ripleys was so dark before. Check out the lighting down the sides and in the left pop bumper area. Man oh man...

20190204_221008 (resized).jpg20190204_221008 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#762 5 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Made decals for my RBION. What do you think? If somebody interested i have few extra sets for sale.
[quoted image]

Those look nice!!

2 weeks later
#777 5 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Are you peeps running the latest code? Mine has 2.04 but I’m planning on upgrading the chips to the 3.2 code on Sterns website as soon as I can.

3.2 on min as well. I have no idea what the difference is though. It was on mine when I bought it.

1 week later
#780 5 years ago
Quoted from Flamingo43:

Anyone have any idea on this issue? The Odditorium starts off blinking as the current reward for hitting the head on game start, but shortly after starting the game, the Odditorium will turn solid and the Big Foot award will now be blinking - as if I made the shot. However, the ball is no where near the target and there is no award or notice on the DMD. Not sure how to troubleshoot it, especially since it is somewhat random.

Sounds like sketchy optics on the shrunken head?? They cause all sorts of random issues like that when they're going bad.

1 month later
#794 4 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Hello,
So i loosened the screws on the assembly and applied pressure to shift it a bit more to the left then re-tightened. (Baby steps here). Played a few games and it was behaving ok. Played a few today and it has not been consistent, seems to still drain. If I “pre-shake” the pin the moment the ball ejects I can change the trajectory to hit the flipper.
So next step is to buy a new cliffy and look at some new drill hole and pivot the assembly a bit more.

Can't believe someone hasn't mentioned this yet, but, chances are , the welds on your scoop have broken loose. They're notorious for doing that. Just pull the scoop out and inspect it. I bet the welds are shot. It causes the ball to be very inconsistent. If you know someone that can weld with stainless it's an easy fix. Or Marco I believe sells a whole new scoop pretty cheap

1 week later
#800 4 years ago

So what do most of you have your pitch set at. I like it a little faster so have at approx 6.9 or so. However, I often have a hell of a time with that vari-target. Will make solid hits and it just won’t go. Wondering if this may be the problem. Also, is there anything special I should be doing with vari-target maintenance?

I have my bubble dead centered. Not sure how many degrees that is. The vari target pushes in very easily assuming you can avoid the left and right post It sounds like your target is hanging up on something. A solid hit should go in regardless of a little extra pitch.

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

So glad to be back with a RBION since I sold
my first nib Ripley year ago. What was I thinking? Finally picked one up last weekend.
Does anyone have any blue powder coat Ripleys out there? I don’t want to do yellow or orange. I’m looking at maybe doing a dark blue.

I did a dark hammered bronze finish. Close to matching the wire form lanes inside the machine, but a bit darker. I'm thrilled with the look.

#805 4 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Interesting... Can you attach a pic?

I dont have any pictures handy, but I know theres one in my profile gameroom pics. It's a close up of the color/finish. The color doesnt photograph well from afar.

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

That looks fantastic!

Thank you! I wish I could get a better picture of the machine as a whole, but the lighting down there isn't the best. So, from a distance, the hammered bronze appears black in photographs.

2 months later
#813 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I have an odd issue on a game I picked up. Once I turn the game on and hit the magnet lock up the middle, the ball doesn't release. Once it cycles though and releases the ball, the game is good to go. It seems like I can play numerous games with no issues, it seems to be right at start up on the first hit. Any ideas? Optos work perfect, magnet works perfect and I've even switched balls out thinking they might be magnetized. Ideas please

Mine has recently developed the same problem. 1st ball of 1st game. The magnet won't release the ball until a ball search is activated. After that, it's good to go. I replaced my optos about a year ago, so I'm pretty certain that's not the issue.

Added over 5 years ago:

Scratch that. It's now doing it randomly. Maybe 1 out of every 12 times the magnet is hit

#815 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Anyone got some spare used plastics? I had the art come off two of mine. Not looking to restore this machine just want it serviceable.[quoted image][quoted image]

I want to say I've seen some spare sets come up for sale occasionally, so you should be able to find some if you keep a lookout.

2 months later
#826 4 years ago
Quoted from Turtlepower169:

Just picked this one up. Pretty fun![quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice one!! I'd get some color matched T moulding around the head. The game is super fun.

2 weeks later
#829 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Joined the club last week. I’ll post some pics shortly. I’m having a blast!

Awesome game! Enjoy!

4 months later
#845 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

After a year without one, Ripley’s has returned to our collection! Found a very nice example in AZ. I’ve been looking for several months. Sold a really nice, loaded example last year. Now we have a similar example. Needs a color DMD, down the road. I forgot the terrific shots and flow this pin has. Great use of spinners and magnets. Tons of shots. One of Pat Lawlor’s best. His “kitchen sink” pin. He threw in many of his signature features. This game has 6 pop bumpers yet doesn’t feel cramped. Underrated. We are very happy to bring this game back for a second visit. Hopefully it stays a very long time. It’s moving up my list of favorites.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice specimen! I agree, it's an underrated, underappreciated machine.

1 month later
#850 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I actually like the purple accents! Have a Pinballbulbs kit to put in and I think it’s the same way. It is begging for a ColorDMD!

Mine has a color DMD, and I highly recommend it. It looks amazing in this game.

2 weeks later
#859 3 years ago

Every game I get recieves a full set of Titans. Ripleys was the first machine I ever put them on, and I was hooked.

2 months later
#865 3 years ago

I've also had my Ripleys for about 3 years and I'm unfamiliar with the issue. Do tell, what's the problem/symptoms?

#867 3 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

This has been a constant on off issue since I had the game. I originally replaced the switch when I first had the issue and that had no effect, so it is a newish switch. The biggest rage inducing problem I have with this is there is nothing objectively wrong with the game; in the switch test the shooter lane switch is working perfectly as well as the trough optos. The only time this has an effect is during multi ball when a new ball is added to the shooter lane and the game just sits there for 6-8 seconds before it decides to launch the ball; during the ball saver if another ball is drained during that time a second ball will be put into the shooter lane. Also if at any time a ball falls back into the shooter lane it will never be kicked back out.
I have adjusted the switch to both maximize and minimize the possible contact time with the switch as well as in-between, but I have never found anything to work long term. It just decides to to start working sometimes and I have not found any pattern to what works or not. I am surprised that a few of you have never had this problem because I figured that this was just one of the many bugs in this game and were hoping someone found a work around.

Well, I do know the optics from around this era are sometimes buggy. I had to replace both of my trough optics. As cheap as they are, it might be worth a shot. They can test good, but malfunction during play

2 weeks later
#872 3 years ago

Before I go tearing into it, has anyone replaced the super jackpot optics? I've replaced the shrunken head optics easy enough, but the SJ optics look much more involved. Any tips or pointers?
Update: got them swapped out. It wasn't too bad. It looked way worse than it was. No more phantom hits!! Although it was nice to collect a free super jackpot every now and then....LOL

2 months later
#896 3 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

Yeah, everything is new and clean, for now I have just unplugged the receiver opto and the game plays normaly in the "opto not working" mode. I am really hoping that there is something wrong with the ROM because I have no clue what else it could be. The only time i get extra idol hits is when the transmit led is off and should not even be looking for them and during the bonus countdown.
I no longer have access to a ROM chip writer any more, so for now I am just going to play it the way it is.

Roms are cheap and easy to swap. Id just by a set and try it out

2 weeks later
#899 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I was lucky enough to join the RBION club this past weekend, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
I love my Monopoly pin, so figured Ripley's would be a safe bet. It has the same feel, but a very different layout, art style and sound package, so they compliment each other well in the collection.
I did have to tweak the lower outkick hole, as it was sending a lot of balls sdtm. But with some minor tweaking it really seems to have mostly eliminated the sdtm shots, at least for now. The right outlane can be rough at times, but overall the game feels tough but fair. I'm starting to dial in my shots, and look foward to working my way to seeing Atlantis.

Good luck on Atlantis, I've still never made it!! One thing to check on the scoop, is the weld that holds the scoop hood to the body below the playfield. It breaks sometimes due to the high impact hits the scoop takes. That can cause all sorts of bad eject issues. Congratulations on the purchase, it's a great pin. Underrated in my opinion.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

That board is for the TOPS tournament system and the game will function perfectly fine without it.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/4917/Stern_2004_Ripley_s_Believe_It_or_Not_English_Manual.pdf
Pin out is on page 154 (171 of the document).

Well, how about that! Lol

2 months later
#937 3 years ago

I'd pay for a nice set of apron cards. I've had my Ripleys for years and never got around to the cards. I'm terrible at computer stuff, so I'd happily pay someone.

#939 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Tomorrow, let me post the PDF's and you can simply send the two files over to FEDEX locally. I will give the ordering information for their waterproof stock.

See, I'm already lost....lol

#940 3 years ago

Here's some pics of my beloved Ripleys. Bronze vein powder coat, including the apron. Titan rubbers, color dmd, art blades, pin stadiums, LEDs. Labor of love. That stuff I can handle. Computers, not so much.

20210131_124617 (resized).jpg20210131_124617 (resized).jpg20210131_124642 (resized).jpg20210131_124642 (resized).jpg20210131_124708 (resized).jpg20210131_124708 (resized).jpg20210131_124727 (resized).jpg20210131_124727 (resized).jpg20210131_124823 (resized).jpg20210131_124823 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#947 3 years ago
Quoted from Liakos:

Can someone help me?..
My slings aren't working..
They give points but dont fire..
I checked fuses, I checked underneath to make sure nothing is disconnected regarding wires etc..
I'm not to tech savvy... am I missing something?.
I sincerely appreciate any advice

Well, I know this isn't major help, but... if they give points when hit, that tells me that the leaf switches are connected and working properly. If one side weren't firing, I'd say check the wires to the coil, but if both sides aren't firing, perhaps a fuse?

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Go into test mode and head to tests/coil/ either cycle the coils or pick the specific coils and see if they fire there... coin door must be closed for coils to fire.

I always forget about test mode...lol. can't he pull the service mode plunger on the coin door for testing?

2 weeks later
#957 3 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

New to Ripley's club and entered back into pinball collecting. Sold all my arcade and pinball machines about 5 years ago to put a nice down payment on a nice house. This Ripley has modded interactive translite LEDs, Color DMD, idol toy, shaker motor, and full led lights. Currently having problems with head optos and may need replaced but other then that, I think I have it where I want it. So glad to be back.
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club, great game. Go ahead and replace the optics. While you're at it, replace the super jackpot and idol optics. They're easily available and dirt cheap. Not that hard to get to either. They're notorious for going out on this game. Skip the time and headache of troubleshooting. most likely, it's the optics...

3 weeks later
#992 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

How is the back left plastic leveled? I'm speaking of the one with three lanes for the ball to go through. On my machine, the ball will go about 80% right, 15% middle, and 5% left. It seems like it should be secured on the left side, but the Back Alley mod posts above indicate that it isn't.
Also, the sound is sometimes scratchy/muffled. I was told I need to replace a capacitor for that?

I'm also curious about the fix for scratchy sound. Mine has always had that issue.

#998 3 years ago

Mine is a constant slight scratchy sound. Scratchy or static is the best adjective I can use to describe it. All 3 speakers work fine and are at low volume. Its not annoying enough to really be seriously bothersome, but its definitely there. Definitely from both backbox speakers and I suspect from the cabinet sub as well.
If CN4 has a plug at the connector pins, i can try reseating that plug. I could also reflow any solder points that may be suspect.

1 month later
#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It's for tournament play. If you can constantly hit the skill shot, it won't register as a valid PF switch so you can keep hitting it then letting the ball drain and the game will give you the ball back and you can hit it again. Not easy to do, but it can be done and you can rack up big scores that way with the skill shots incrementing by 1 million each time.

Now that's interesting. I knew if it didn't hit a valid playfield switch, you could try again. But, I thought hitting the skill shot registered as a hit, and the ball was then in play. You're saying that after making the skill shot, if the ball is ejected and doesn't hit a qualifying switch, I can let it drain and go for a second skill shot??

1 week later
#1032 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It's for tournament play. If you can constantly hit the skill shot, it won't register as a valid PF switch so you can keep hitting it then letting the ball drain and the game will give you the ball back and you can hit it again. Not easy to do, but it can be done and you can rack up big scores that way with the skill shots incrementing by 1 million each time.

I played my machine last night to verify this info. This is not the case on my machine. Once you hit the skill shot, that's it, ball is now in play. Perhaps it's something that can be changed in the settings??

3 weeks later
#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Hey guys, I just got Ripley’s and am loving how much it has to offer.
I’m curious who knows: I have a switch that must be activated because I keep getting phantom points. What switch causes the Head to say something about a slot machine?

Quoted from thatdangguy:

It might be the Super Jackpot Opto (sw18). I would not only clean the optos but I would check the opto connection to the opto board under the playfield. I had the Idol opto doing something similar and unplugging and reseating the opto connection is what cleared it up for me. Actually I'd check all the connections on that opto board while you are there.

Both the head and the super jackpot lane have a set of optics that are famous for going bad. I've replaced both sets on my machine. The idol also has a set which I've not replaced. The good news is they're cheap and fairly easy to swap out. Most likely, that's your issue. You could also check the little optic control board under the playfield and re seat the connectors, but, I bet you need new optics.

2 months later
#1118 2 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Anyone put a cliffy on the scoop and get constant rejects? Mine is so bad I'm debating taking it back off. Also - anyone know of a cliffy for the vari target so that don't get all chewed up?

I put a cliffy on mine with no issues whatsoever. Maybe check to make sure everything was reassembled correctly after install

3 months later
#1138 2 years ago
Quoted from DeejayDara:

My wife bought me an LED kit for my machine for Xmas. I just finished installing and, to be honest, I feel like I might have a seizure (not really) if I play it too much. It's so bright and flash-heavy that it's sometimes difficult to even see the ball. Anybody else had this problem?

If the kit came with a bunch of colored LEDs for the general illumination bulbs, I'd secretly replace them with either warm white or cool white LEDs. Many of the prepackaged kits come with colored g.i. bulbs that make playfield lighting pretty bad. Color matched under the inserts, perfect. But most ppl stick with white in the g.i.

#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from DeejayDara:Well, I'm shit out of luck on getting an LED OCD here in the US aslo. Not predicted to be back in stock until April. :/

Mine doesn't have an LED ocd board and it looks great. I just use Comet non ghosting bulbs everywhere and have no issues. Frosted lens in both GI and controlled lighting. I'm doing this in multiple machines. EATPM, BSD, FT, and RBION. No need for an OCD board. No Good Gophers is up next.

#1148 2 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

LED OCD makes a huge difference on this game (as well as most others) The sudden on/off effect without it just looks wrong, they were designed to pulse.
Also I recommend good old fashioned ghosting LEDs with the LED OCD board as you get more range in the lighting effects.

So, what you're saying is, add leds, then add a board to make the leds not look like leds?

Just ribbing you a bit. I totally understand the benefit of leds over incandescents. And, I understand how some people prefer the gradual fade of original bulbs. However, my leds look great to me, and I've never once had 1 person look at any of my games and suggest that I need a control board. So, to each their own I guess.

#1151 2 years ago

EDIT: Just going to move along and play pinball

3 weeks later
#1154 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah because the light passes through an insert, which is a little unusual.

Quoted from DK:

Are flaky Idol optos a common problem on Ripley's? I can have games where they trigger 3-5 times for no reason when the ball is on the right ramp then see a long game with no issues

Yes, what TheLaw said, and other optics on the machine are known to be flaky as well. They're cheap and pretty easy to replace.

2 weeks later
#1168 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

How deep is this game? I have a shadow that I regularly get to the final battle so looking for another challenging pin.

I've never reached Atlantis or Frog Frenzy. Easy to understand, hard to achieve. This game hits that sweet spot.

2 months later
#1201 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

New owner! Picked up a great example from a fellow Pinsider. Has LEDs and LED board, Pin2DMD, upgraded speakers, and mirror blades. Overall in excellent shape. Just ordered ArcadeVideo's speaker panel. Plan to add the upgraded pyramids down the road, and maybe a shrunken head shooter as well. Looking forward to spending a lot of time learning the rule set and trying to reach Atlantis.

Great game! Have fun trying to reach Atlantis and Frog Frenzy. Personally, I've never done either one

2 months later
#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Yeah after reading through the tread, that’s what I’m assuming. I’m hoping I can just bend it enough and order the mantis replacement so I can keep playing while I wait, plus see if I can find the sticker. I also played a game today and the idol was constantly going off. I’m assuming I’m going to have my hands full with…
- new opto boards x3
- mantis replacement scoop
- replacement sticker?
- new Nvram? Or new board…. I suppose it depends what I find this weekend
- move my posts
- probably check all the rubbers while I am at it

May not need actual opto boards. Maybe just replace the actual optos. They're cheap and known to be flaky. As for the scoop, the broken weld is pretty common. It's actually pretty easy to remove. Once it's out, if you know anyone that can weld stainless steel, it's a quick fix. Nice to know that Mantis has one though. I have my outlane posts all the way down. Congrats on snagging a fun underrated Lawlor title!

1 month later
#1233 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

BUMP: Can anyone please help me find a new owner? I only have 10 days left to sell it. I've tried all avenues I know of.

I've had a Ripley's for many years now. It's a great game, and your machine looks nice. But, it's not selling because of the price. Drop it into the high 4's with a firm price and it will move. Maybe even low 5's, maybe.

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

To reiterate, I'm asking for folks here to share my listing to friends/word of mouth. I am open to best offers given the time crunch I'm in. Please let me know if you can help in that manner.

Thank you for the advice! While your point makes sense, unfortunately, there are currently 4 other RBION's for sale which have been up since far before I posted mine. A couple in the $5k range and the others in the $4k range still haven't sold. Most have some mechanical and/or playfield issue which mine does not. Plus none have the entire suite of mods mine has. https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/market
I'm willing to go far lower on the price only b/c I am in a time crunch. This is why I posted mine as OBO. I had one person offer $5k which I accepted but he never responded again after that.
I've now lowered it per your advice + based on the price others are going for currently.
With all this said, I don't see how listing the price to this lower figure will actually get anyone to buy it in the needed timeframe since the other listings haven't been sold. I'm happy to claim ignorance here as this is the first time I've ever tried to sell one of my machines.

While you might find the OBO price I have listed it as hilarious, a comment like this is not conducive to my ask for help. I'm not asking for help selling it at $5700, I'm just asking for help selling it...

I don't think I've ever seen 5 of this title for sale at the same time! That's crazy. Hopefully someone will come through for you.

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

Getting a little ball search action in the middle of the game, I’ve read quite abit about that but no real precise answer to why, my main question tonight is After the game ends on Rbion and you have two balls in the lock should they clear? Mine will clear them when I turn on the machine if some are in the lock but they will stay in between games? Is there a setting? Seemed like my Simpsons pinball party would keep them on the couch and we were able to switch it to clear after each game. Thanks for any input

My game will kick the balls out of the lock after it has sat idle (idol... ) for a few minutes. If you start a new game immediately, the balls stay put and the game keeps track of locks virtually.

4 months later
#1275 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Left flipper acting electrically twitchy.
I depressed the button and sometimes we go part way up and part way back in wiggle a little.
Could this be a gapping issue?

Inspect the flipper assembly. Could be a number of things. I bet it's mechanical. How's the plunger and coil sleeve look? Coil stop? Loose wire on the coil lugs? Those are most likely the culprits.

1 month later
#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Any Tips for dialing in the eject for the scoop?
Ive tried to bend the arch but still get straight down the middle 80% of the time

If you havnt checked already, have a look at the welds on the hood of the scoop. They're known to break causing poor/sporadic eject behavior. Mine was broken. I believe you can still find replacements, or do what I did. Take it to a weld shop that can weld stainless, and have them fix it. It's not that hard to remove the scoop if I recall correctly.

1 month later
#1324 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

My ball keeps getting hung up on the shrunken head magnet. I have to nudge the machine a few times and then it’ll throw it back. Any Thoughts? Thx!

Most likely magnetized balls

#1329 1 year ago
Quoted from Evets:

By the way, I've only had this game a week and it is great (I don't think that is the honeymoon phase talking). The most enjoyable pinball frustrations I've encountered.

This game is pretty under rated. Rules are deep / difficult enough to keep you busy, but definitely understandable. Its just good goofy fun.

#1335 1 year ago
Quoted from Evets:

Quick set of questions regarding the installation of a new magnet core beneath the shrunken head: Should the top of the magnet core be higher than the surface of the playing field, or should it be flush with the surface? I'm assuming it is normally installed a tiny bit higher than the PF (the mushrooming effect is evidence of that, right?), but thought I'd check in with those more knowledgeable than I am. Does 1/32 proud of the surface sound about right? Also, would you advise me to bevel the the top edge of the magnet core just a bit, or am I overthinking this (a common occurrence with me)? Finally, is the magnet meant to toss the pinball up and over to the Bigfoot pop bumpers? Mine does not do that; it tosses it up and out of sight, and then the ball descends down the middle of the PF (not SDTM). Thanks.

I'd install it flush, bevel if you like. Ball is supposed to be tossed into the pops every time. You still using the old balls? Change them if yes.

7 months later
#1403 4 months ago

Man, seeing those pics reminds me, I need to do a complete topside teardown and clean my Ripleys thoroughly. Maybe add some jungle themed mods while I'm in there. Nice looking game!

2 weeks later
#1412 4 months ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Any insight on what it takes to fix? Easy or difficult?

Most likely magnetized balls. Also, if I recall correctly, the game "learns" to throw the ball over time. So, maybe if the game was recently reset?? I bet the balls are the issue though.

#1414 4 months ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

The game was recently taken in on trade and likely reset and cleaned up for sale. I tried to see if I could see a mushroomed top but not a lot of light plus old eyes I thought it was good but possibly not. Does the post ever raise up from the playfield? I never thought to check if balls were magnatized. Seems to be a lot of talk of game re-learning after a reset and others say that's not possible.
The game was traded in to a small dealer in New Ulm, Minnesota a couple of months back. Is the previous owner in this group by chance? I have a few questions I'd like to ask if so.

The post does not raise and lower on its own. It can be adjusted up or down from underneath the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 45.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoolCatPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre?tu=CoolCatPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.