(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Just curious, has anyone had any success getting the ball to travel from the shooter all the way around to the pop bumpers at the top? Or does everyone's ball just bump the post like mine? Even after adjusting.

Why not go for the skillshot as intended? It's worth some pretty nice points in a tough low scoring game.

#202 7 years ago

I think mine actually goes in the super jackpot lane now-a-days

#203 7 years ago

Just curious, has anyone had any success getting the ball to travel from the shooter all the way around to the pop bumpers at the top? Or does everyone's ball just bump the post like mine? Even after adjusting.

Unless you mean having the ball travel across the playfield and through the loop to the pops, you've probably got it set up wrong.

The ball shouldn't travel around the right orbit directly from the shooter lane... I'm not even sure if that's possible without a big modification.

The shooter lane should more or less be aimed at the side scoop (skill shot) allowing for a soft plunge to hit it or a harder plunge to go through that loop.

#204 7 years ago

Yes, I do mean across the playfield and back around to the right. I can always do a soft plunge to hit the skill shot. Or, is it even supposed to go all the way around? It just seems like it's not supposed to hit the post at full plunge strength, is it?

#205 7 years ago

Yes, I do mean across the playfield and back around to the right. I can always do a soft plunge to hit the skill shot. Or, is it even supposed to go all the way around? It just seems like it's not supposed to hit the post at full plunge strength, is it?

Depends on the angle of your playfield and on how clean/waxed the surface of the playfield is. It won't hurt anything if it goes all the way around... you could get it set up to plunge to the super jackpot shot if you'd rather.

Hitting a post on a plunge is just part of pinball. That happens on Simpsons Pinball Party, too... though in that one there are two skill shots possible (very similar skill shot to RBION).

#206 7 years ago

Super jackpot plunge would definitely be nice during multiball. Maybe I'll just adjust it to hit that

#207 7 years ago

This wasn't my idea, I saw someone else here do it, but I have a couple penguins now over the penguin lane!

20170318_162107 (resized).jpg20170318_162107 (resized).jpg

#208 7 years ago

Adjusted so full plunge goes to top lanes then bumpers or SKILL SHOT

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Adjusted so full plunge goes to top lanes then bumpers or SKILL SHOT

What color spring are you using?

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Adjusted so full plunge goes to top lanes through penguin loop for multipliers then bumpers or SKILL SHOT as the game was intended

#211 7 years ago

Green of memory. But all games are different so trill and error. I would suggest check the guide where the ball leaves the shooter also, good luck

#212 7 years ago

This wasn't my idea, I saw someone else here do it, but I have a couple penguins now over the penguin lane!

Scribbs that looks good! Where did you get the pengies?

#213 7 years ago

So mine is adjusted on auto plunge it makes it around the loop and into the pop's , but hits the post if you plunge all the way back and let it go . As for the penguin post - it should pop up when the penguin light is on so when you make a right loop the post pops up and the ball drops back down to the right top flipper to make the penguin and jackpot shots . Mine never pops up on a left loop to drop it in the pop's .

#215 7 years ago

^^ Thank you kindly. ^^

#216 7 years ago

Thats awesome. How do you like it? I'm trying to save up for one! Is that the LED or LCD?

1 month later
#217 6 years ago

Hey guys, I need a replacement switch for under the ball scoop. I can't seem to find an exact part # or replacement. I was hoping to avoid buying a generic switch and bending it to work. The closest thing I can find is this one from pinball life. Any ideas? Thanks!

Screenshot_20170508-094507 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170508-094507 (resized).png

#219 6 years ago

Oh sweet!! That's an exact bolt on? No bending required? I'm not sure how I overlooked that one.

#220 6 years ago

Oh sweet!! That's an exact bolt on? No bending required? I'm not sure how I overlooked that one.

Original switch in the manual...better order a couple
Section 4, chapter 2, page 85
Micro Switch (Happ #95-1128-00) - 180-5183-00

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Original switch in the manual...better order a couple
Section 4, chapter 2, page 85
Micro Switch (Happ #95-1128-00) - 180-5183-00

Thanks a ton man

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Thats awesome. How do you like it? I'm trying to save up for one! Is that the LED or LCD?

I can't believe how much this makes the game sooooooo much more enjoyable to watch and play.
Absolute essential mod for any pin and in all honesty I think that most people mod their machine way too much and it doesn't add anything to the game or the value. I believe colour DMD does.

#223 6 years ago

My new ColourLED is coming in the mail for my RBION
Going to try the ColourLED in it first, then swap my colourDMD from Family Guy into RBION and see which is better.
Love RBION!

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from pintuck:

My new ColourLED is coming in the mail for my RBION
Going to try the ColourLED in it first, then swap my colourDMD from Family Guy into RBION and see which is better.
Love RBION!

Definitely report back to us, I'm curious what the main differences are to a player's eye. Not just technical specs.

#225 6 years ago

I can verify the color LED DMD is amazeballs.

IMG_4501 (resized).JPGIMG_4501 (resized).JPG

IMG_4504 (resized).JPGIMG_4504 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#226 6 years ago

So, recently, my RBION has started acting up again. This time, the temple code keeps changing and making the slot machine noise. Sometimes back to back. Any ideas on what may be going on? I'm thinking dirty optics. Maybe? Hopefully just a cleaning needed?

#227 6 years ago

switch test time!

#228 6 years ago

So, recently, my RBION has started acting up again. This time, the temple code keeps changing and making the slot machine noise. Sometimes back to back. Any ideas on what may be going on? I'm thinking dirty optics. Maybe? Hopefully just a cleaning needed?

Well, I located the opto controller board under the playfield, everything looked ok, but I unplugged and replugged the connectors that go to the optos. Just made sure everything was seated nice and tight. The game seems to work fine now......lol. such finicky machines

#229 6 years ago

Completely forgot to join this group. I now own the HUO RBION mentioned in Post #3 of this thread. Loving this game so far. Got to Atlantis last night. 2 Super Jackpots from Frog.

Question for you RBION owners - You get the ball in the Vari-Target, it shoots up through the VUK wireform. When it lands, I'm seeing it sometimes come down on the left side of the Penguin Loop, and sometimes riding the right side rail which then properly leads right onto the 3rd flipper. It's about a 50-50% split. It's obviously due to how the wireform is made and the exit has a wire right in the bottom/middle so it falls either left or right of it. But those times it goes left, the 3rd flipper shot is pointless as it's about 3/4" away from the flipper when you flip.
Has anyone created a fix for this which somehow forces the ball to the right? I want to try something that's not terribly obvious.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

2 Super Jackpots from Frog.

But those times it goes left, the 3rd flipper shot is pointless as it's about 3/4" away from the flipper when you flip.

Remember you have to get all the SJ +1.

Really sounds like a leveling issue to me.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Remember you have to get all the SJ +1.
Really sounds like a leveling issue to me.

The game is perfectly level.

Check out the screengrab I took from IPDB. The wire that is closest to the player bends almost 90deg underneath and then becomes the bottom wire to support and spit the ball backwards into the Penguin Loop (Pic from Marco's website on the right, viewed from behind). But what's different from this design and just about every other wireform in existence...? All other wireforms are designed for the ball to ride on 2 rails at once. This wireform allows the ball to fall slightly to the left or the right of the bottom/center wire and then falls out to the Penguin Loop to the left or right side. When it falls to the right, all is good in the world. When it falls to the left, it will roll straight down, making it be about 3/4" away from the upper flipper as it passes.
RBION VUK WF (resized).JPGRBION VUK WF (resized).JPG

#232 6 years ago

Um...OK. Mine works fine. Why don't you post a pic of yours so we can take a look.

#233 6 years ago

Mine also drops a bit off sometimes. Seems random. Just depends on how the ball hits the bottom. I just assumed that was normal. Maybe just slightly bend the 1 wire to the left? Encourage the ball to drop right?

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Completely forgot to join this group. I now own the HUO RBION mentioned in Post #3 of this thread. Loving this game so far. Got to Atlantis last night. 2 Super Jackpots from Frog.
Question for you RBION owners - You get the ball in the Vari-Target, it shoots up through the VUK wireform. When it lands, I'm seeing it sometimes come down on the left side of the Penguin Loop, and sometimes riding the right side rail which then properly leads right onto the 3rd flipper. It's about a 50-50% split. It's obviously due to how the wireform is made and the exit has a wire right in the bottom/middle so it falls either left or right of it. But those times it goes left, the 3rd flipper shot is pointless as it's about 3/4" away from the flipper when you flip.
Has anyone created a fix for this which somehow forces the ball to the right? I want to try something that's not terribly obvious.

I agree with @Scribbles. I believe the wireform is purposely designed do do exactly what you say. It is not designed to be a reliable feed for the upper flipper.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Why don't you post a pic of yours so we can take a look.

Ok, got to it last night. Here are some pics. The wire in the middle as it rolls out, this is what I believe is causing the ball to go either properly against the right orbit RHS rail straight onto the flipper, or left which won't allow for a good 3rd flipper shot.

Maybe just slightly bend the 1 wire to the left? Encourage the ball to drop right?

Thought about this. Also thought about the wire that hangs vertical in the back, which I guess could also be kicking the ball to either side. However, if we start bending one way to open up the space to another, we may not guarantee that the ball ever gets back to the rail. Bending the wire, closing the LHS gap, opening the RHS gap TOO much may not place the ball against the RHS rail guard anymore, and then it may do something weird (bounce, dribble...etc) on its way down.

I can't believe this occurrence was intentional in the design of the wireform. It's just such an amazing design overall, I can't imagine a wireform that sets up a cross shot would be intentionally designed to sometimes give a piss poor feed. I'm also shocked that it sounds as if no one has made some sort of mod to address this.

IMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#236 6 years ago

My Ripley's keeps resetting and I just got the boards looked at. Is 5.14 volts enough for the CPU? I can't figure out why it's doing it because it's happening randomly during games and startup.

#237 6 years ago

As I was browsing games and their ratings comments earlier, I noticed one that confused me and made me want to vent just a bit. The most recent rating comment for our Ripleys machine says that he feels the game is "Problematic in its depiction of people of color". What is this guy seeing that I'm not? Is it the shrunken head on the backglass? The Jamaican accent? If that's the case, someone needs to lighten up. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyway, that's my rant

#238 6 years ago

What is this guy seeing that I'm not?

He's from Seattle...they're kind of touchy-feely over there.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He's from Seattle...they're kind of touchy-feely over there.

I guess so....lol.

#240 6 years ago

As I was browsing games and their ratings comments earlier, I noticed one that confused me and made me want to vent just a bit. The most recent rating comment for our Ripleys machine says that he feels the game is "Problematic in its depiction of people of color". What is this guy seeing that I'm not? Is it the shrunken head on the backglass? The Jamaican accent? If that's the case, someone needs to lighten up. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyway, that's my rant

LOL, he must really really HATE RS!

People are overly sensitive. Ignore them.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL, he must really really HATE RS!

He also doesn't take many cabs in his home town of Seattle.

2 weeks later
#242 6 years ago

Hi, guys, I'm wondering what "Coil Power" setting people typically use on RBION. I would prefer to use the "Low" setting, but I've found that the scoop isn't strong enough on that setting to clear two balls if they both happen to land there during multiball. And "Normal" seems like overkill, with the ball actually hitting the rails over the playfield (from the right ramp) when launched from the scoop. Does everyone else see this same behavior? Maybe my scoop needs adjustment? Thanks in advance.

#243 6 years ago

I didn't even know there was a coil adjustment for that, so whatever factory setting is should be fine.

You've made sure there are no broken welds or issues with the scoop? And that's it secured into the PF no stripped out holes or anything? Just thikning off the top of my head usual problem with scoops

#244 6 years ago

TheLaw, while checking the scoop for broken welds (it looked good), I tried bending it down a bit, and the ball now makes a clean exit on the "Normal" setting. Thanks!

#245 6 years ago

Oh quick fix nice! Yeah Scoops can be tricky there's always a little tinkering from time to time.
My scoop was 100% serve to left flipper until recently every once in awhile it goes SDTM; maybe 2-4% of the time. I kept it that way...that'll wake your ass up!

#246 6 years ago

My scoop had broken welds on the right side when I bought the game. It wasn't apparent until I removed the whole mechanism and looked at it. It's a wonder they're not all broken from the abuse that thing takes. I had it spot welded back up. Works like a charm now.

#247 6 years ago

Just got the (LCD) Color DMD!

Makes a HUGE difference on this title (biggest diff of all my four Color DMD games)! Didn't really realize how much everything blended together on the standard RBION display, but there is a LOT of detail now with the color!

Definitely a mandatory upgrade for all RBION lovers!

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Makes a HUGE difference on this title (biggest diff of all my four Color DMD games)! Didn't really realize how much everything blended together on the standard RBION display, but there is a LOT of detail now with the color!

Awesome! I'm hoping to get one sometime for mine

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Some of the detail is created by the color. With the colorDMD method, we can't change the original dots, but we can apply different colors and different shades of color to the same brightness of dots.

For the globe for example, in the original art, it's 2 shades. The land is one, the water is another. I used a bunch of different colors/shades to try to make it look more like an actual globe. Spent a lot of time on it.

1 week later
#250 6 years ago

Hi, just joined the club. First thing, pull the batteries, and here it fails already. I took the cam lock out (key was missing), and tried to lift the translate out....no go, it won't lift up enough to get the bottom over the speaker panel. Is there some secret hidden restrain on this pin?
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 45.95
$ 18.95
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.