(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 830 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by Flippermatt
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 155 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1DBE1B12-C82E-4018-8551-AC9BC74545E8 (resized).jpeg
9961B54A-0973-4649-A8B9-6AE9B823936E (resized).jpeg
DSC_0541.JPG
DSC_0540.JPG
DSC_0539.JPG
4B0EB49E-FE30-4CB4-8528-1146758DB315.jpeg
01CDDD49-951E-4ABA-AC46-72046E16F26A (resized).jpeg
423FD191-4859-47D2-AC95-A97A8D105A11 (resized).jpeg
48D8F043-3A6B-4755-A07A-E17A93046732 (resized).jpeg
5B45E1CD-0B39-472A-8FC1-8B9740928635 (resized).jpeg
57A373DF-06D7-4C25-AA4F-2A715DB5B118 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190812_205923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190812_205927 (resized).jpg
IMAG3468 (resized).jpg
A3225F16-84ED-46FF-9C68-6466BD1ADD68 (resized).jpeg
E267CAC4-9158-413B-9869-79260CC3C3B4 (resized).jpeg

There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
#51 3 years ago

Nice RBIONs -- both of them.

#52 3 years ago

Whoa...that's a touch bright for my tastes. But enjoy! Make sure to update us when you hit Atlantis in a year or 2

#53 3 years ago

Anyone else avoid the scoop almost completely on their RBION? I always start continents from the vari-target and I never shoot the scoop intentionally. I get crazy bounces and/or deflections on 4/5 scoop shots. Almost seems like the left flipper is too strong with how much velocity is on the ball when I shoot that scoop which is close to the flipper.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Anyone else avoid the scoop almost completely on their RBION? I always start continents from the vari-target and I never shoot the scoop intentionally. I get crazy bounces and/or deflections on 4/5 scoop shots. Almost seems like the left flipper is too strong with how much velocity is on the ball when I shoot that scoop which is close to the flipper.

Have you checked to see if the scoop welds are cracked? Both the ones I had needed to be rewelded. After that the scoop was fine.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Have you checked to see if the scoop welds are cracked? Both the ones I had needed to be rewelded. After that the scoop was fine.

It was. I could tell when it wasn't kicking out to the left flipper consistently. I fixed that. It just seems like the ball goes towards the scoop too hard since the scoop is so close and then it rebounds all over the place. I can pretty consistently backhand the vari-target so I go that route instead.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It was. I could tell when it wasn't kicking out to the left flipper consistently. I fixed that. It just seems like the ball goes towards the scoop too hard since the scoop is so close and then it rebounds all over the place. I can pretty consistently backhand the vari-target so I go that route instead.

Is the scoop straight and not tweaked? Maybe some deadaning foam like folks are doing to the merlin hole on MMr?

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=131

#57 3 years ago

LED's never photograph well. All the purple looks blue in my pix.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I go vari-target too, but more because if the scoop is missed and hits the post you are in serious trouble!

#59 3 years ago

My scoop has always played a nice dead bounce from left to right flipper luckily. It's almost hard to miss that shot too...even with cliffy

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My scoop has always played a nice dead bounce from left to right flipper luckily. It's almost hard to miss that shot too...even with cliffy

Mine is not easy to hit...you have to hit it dead on or it won't drop in. I have a cliffy and superband post rubbers. I attribute it to that.

image_(resized).jpeg

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Mine is not easy to hit...you have to hit it dead on or it won't drop in. I have a cliffy and superb and post runners. I attribute it to that.

image_(resized).jpeg

Not sure why that pic looks so purple...damn camera.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Not sure why that pic looks so purple...damn camera.

It looks F*&**&^ horrible , but not as bad as awarded EB for points

I find my Cliffy doesn't hurt much...might just be lucky. There are some games, even the same game diff'rent cliffys, that really hurt a shot and some don't bother it at all. Weird.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It looks F*&**&^ horrible , but not as bad as awarded EB for points
I find my Cliffy doesn't hurt much...might just be lucky. There are some games, even the same game diff'rent cliffys, that really hurt a shot and some don't bother it at all. Weird.

LOL...well, I need that extra ball on this game. There's always a house ball down that right outlane it seems or an insta-drain down the middle off a missed scoop shot!

1 week later
#64 3 years ago

So for Antartica and the Penguin laps - are you going for the right loop shot, or the lower upper loop off the top flipper??

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So for Antartica and the Penguin laps - are you going for the right loop shot, or the lower upper loop off the top flipper??

Antartica mode are ramps are jackpots and right loop relights them.

If you just mean laps in general, right orbit gives you 1, lower off top flipper gives you 2.

#66 3 years ago

Ya I'm looking to complete Antartica. Pinball news write up says 3 penguin laps and penguin jackpot. Think the game says 3 penguin laps. So your saying ramps first, rt loop to re-light?

#67 3 years ago

Yes...I don't know what they're saying though...confusing. It's just like the other 2 continent MBs, which are both ramps have jackpots, then another area will relight them; the right orbit in this situation. You probably have to get like 5 jackpots or something...plus the game tells you the wrong amounts in some modes. Sneaky devil.

EDIT: Pinball news article is super old code I think.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes...I don't know what they're saying though...confusing. It's just like the other 2 continent MBs, which are both ramps have jackpots, then another area will relight them; the right orbit in this situation. You probably have to get like 5 jackpots or something...plus the game tells you the wrong amounts in some modes. Sneaky devil.

Cool Thanks!

#69 3 years ago

Has anyone heard anything about ColorDMD development for RBION?

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Ya I'm looking to complete Antartica. Pinball news write up says 3 penguin laps and penguin jackpot. Think the game says 3 penguin laps. So your saying ramps first, rt loop to re-light?

That pinball news article is way old code...it doesn't really apply for everything. A lot is missing. I wish someone would write a more accurate rule set.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Has anyone heard anything about ColorDMD development for RBION?

I hope for a colordmd also although maybe in a few months when I have money for it lol

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

I hope for a colordmd also although maybe in a few months when I have money for it lol

I have a reason to believe it's being worked on, mostly done, and will be out in 2016. Not sure when, though.

Yup, answered my own question. Just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I have a reason to believe it's being worked on, mostly done, and will be out in 2016. Not sure when, though.
Yup, answered my own question. Just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing.

I would say that's correct.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That pinball news article is way old code...it doesn't really apply for everything. A lot is missing. I wish someone would write a more accurate rule set.

Ya that would be cool. So much going on that it would be great to have a accurate reference. RBION usually kicks my ass, but it's always fun to play!

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

RBION usually kicks my ass, but it's always fun to play!

Man this should be written on the side art of every machine

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT: Pinball news article is super old code I think.

To complete the MB modes, it is center ramp, right ramp (in either order), then the specific jackpot shot for that mode (penguin loop, idol), then both ramps again (in either order) and then mode specific jackpot shot again to get the letter. You need 2 sets of each (6 jackpots) total. And if you only get 5 jackpots and get through all the continents and start that MB mode again...you still need all 6 again, no progression saving. It's tough.

#77 3 years ago

So what I said +1

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

To complete the MB modes, it is center ramp, right ramp (in either order), then the specific jackpot shot for that mode (penguin loop, idol), then both ramps again (in either order) and then mode specific jackpot shot again to get the letter. You need 2 sets of each (6 jackpots) total. And if you only get 5 jackpots and get through all the continents and start that MB mode again...you still need all 6 again, no progression saving. It's tough.

So center ramp, right ramp , right loop (penguin lap) X 3 for Antartica letter?

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So center ramp, right ramp , right loop (penguin lap) X 3 for Antartica letter?

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

On mine, the Cliffy causes this. When the ball approaches the scoop from the left flipper, it bounces slightly on the Cliffy, causing it to go airborne and hit the scoop's "scoop". When the ball approaches from the right side of the scoop, it has a tendancy to ride along the side of the Cliffy. Apparently this is a common issue. I've considered trying to take it off and seeing what damage it's covering. I wish there was a Mantis protector for Ripley's.

-E

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from eli_lilly:

I've considered trying to take it off and seeing what damage it's covering. I wish there was a Mantis protector for Ripley's.
-E

Let me end the suspense...that frikkin thing is so blown out a mantis would do nothing

That scoop is one of the worse offenders I've ever seen. Sure I've seen AFM worse but relative to play amount it's not even close.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from eli_lilly:

On mine, the Cliffy causes this. When the ball approaches the scoop from the left flipper, it bounces slightly on the Cliffy, causing it to go airborne and hit the scoop's "scoop". When the ball approaches from the right side of the scoop, it has a tendancy to ride along the side of the Cliffy. Apparently this is a common issue. I've considered trying to take it off and seeing what damage it's covering. I wish there was a Mantis protector for Ripley's.
-E

I'm sure you are right. I am getting the same more difficult scoop shots on X-Men with a Cliffy on there. Without it, you can't miss the scoop and many times it just falls in, but with it, it can be a pain to hit.

#84 3 years ago

Make sure it's completely flush with the PF & clipped in. No problems with RBION, JP, or WCS94 in my line up.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Make sure it's completely flush with the PF & clipped in. No problems with RBION, JP, or WCS94 in my line up.

Yeah I tend to agree it's machine to machine issue. My brother had a JP and that cliffy always screwed me, but no other JP did.

4 weeks later
#86 3 years ago

Got the color dmd in there, for whenever code is ready. Here's my little one playing some Ripley's.

ripley_(resized).jpeg

#87 3 years ago

Looking for a nice one within driving distance of So Cal.

2 weeks later
#88 3 years ago

Hey guys, might be joining the club soon. Looking for mod recommendations. The game I'm getting has incadescents, not sure if I should upgrade to LEDs, LED OCD maybe even? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#89 3 years ago

I was also wondering about led ocd. This game seems to have some coding issues with the insert lamps. Without led ocd I had to swap inserts to non ghosting bulbs, there was painfully obvious ghosting with standard.

Very fun game though.

#90 3 years ago

Bought my LED from Pinball Centre europe ( no fix ) no problem

#91 3 years ago

I installed a ledocd in my RBION it made a huge difference and was well worth it

#92 3 years ago

Drew- did you keep the default settings or tweak them? Are you using standard bulbs with the led ocd, or non-ghosting?

#93 3 years ago

I'm using comet standard LEDs (non ghosters can get weird with ledocd) I definitely did not use the standard settings on the ledocd with RBION the ramp up/down curve of the dimming effect needs to be set in 3 stages instead of 5 I'll try to find what my settings are but it's been awhile so I may have to break out the ol' laptop

#94 3 years ago

Is ledocd easy to install and work with?

#95 3 years ago

I checked out the hardware installation instructions online- seems pretty straightforward. I'd be curious how long it takes to tweak the software. And I just reworked all the leds to non-ghosting... so I may wait.

#96 3 years ago

It is really easy i'll try to post my settings when I get a chance and all you have to do is type them in and that will give you a good starting point even on the stock set up it's not terrible but you will be amazed in the difference that it makes with the insert light show

#97 3 years ago

Good to know. I was going to put in non-ghosting also. I think I'll wait. Drew, could you post a video of yours? Thx.

#98 3 years ago

Here is a clip of my RBION before the ledocd

#99 3 years ago

After ledocd was installed since then I have tweaked it a bit to make it even better

#100 3 years ago

Tried LEDS in mine once and it didn't look much diff'rent...so luckily cheaper bulbs are still doing the trick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
PinSound
There are 830 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside