(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 31.
#1201 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

New owner! Picked up a great example from a fellow Pinsider. Has LEDs and LED board, Pin2DMD, upgraded speakers, and mirror blades. Overall in excellent shape. Just ordered ArcadeVideo's speaker panel. Plan to add the upgraded pyramids down the road, and maybe a shrunken head shooter as well. Looking forward to spending a lot of time learning the rule set and trying to reach Atlantis.

Great game! Have fun trying to reach Atlantis and Frog Frenzy. Personally, I've never done either one

#1202 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Great game! Have fun trying to reach Atlantis and Frog Frenzy. Personally, I've never done either one

Sadness. Nor have I.

#1203 1 year ago

Just buckle down and play more; couple years you'll reach Atlantis

Frog Frenzy? Wouldn't count on it.

#1204 1 year ago

Seller said you could make menu adjustments to make reaching Atlantis easier (less letters required?). I think after a year I'd cave and do this myself..

#1205 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Seller said you could make menu adjustments to make reaching Atlantis easier (less letters required?). I think after a year I'd cave and do this myself..

Never looked for hollow victories

#1206 1 year ago

The speaker vinyl from ArcadeVideo arrived quickly after ordering. Just got it installed tonight. It’s printed on a high quality vinyl, which I was able to remove and reinstall a few times to get it lined up best without issue. Highly recommended. Gives the machine a refreshed look.

E41D4AA1-730E-4A04-B25D-0D57B448B75D (resized).jpegE41D4AA1-730E-4A04-B25D-0D57B448B75D (resized).jpeg
#1207 1 year ago

Finally joined this club over the weekend. I've wanted one of these for a long while, as it's probably one of the location games I have spent the most quarters on over the years. I plan to keep this one long term. This also means that I'll remake the ramps for it some day, but probably not this year. Ill offer them in the original red color, but I want to see what clear ramps would do for this game as well. The ramp decals on the red plastic underside are kind of worthless in their current state.

1 week later
#1208 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

The speaker vinyl from ArcadeVideo arrived quickly after ordering. Just got it installed tonight. It’s printed on a high quality vinyl, which I was able to remove and reinstall a few times to get it lined up best without issue. Highly recommended. Gives the machine a refreshed look.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the positive review! Looks like you did a great job installing it. I still have 20 decals in stock, and I probably won't do another run of these. So if anyone wants one, now's the time to order!

1 month later
#1209 1 year ago

Getting ready to do a rebuild of my RBION and have been collecting parts. I saw these Kicker CSC4 on sale at Amazon for $63 and know the cheap audio upgrade thread said good things about them. I installed them today and can confirm they are a nice upgrade to the stock speaker in RBION, but even better, they fit the same screw holes and are a perfect fit replacement. Audio is never going to be great (unless someone builds an upgraded PinSound option), but I think this makes it sound and look $63 better.

Front and back comparison to stock:
97D21F71-459E-41F2-ADFA-6E3C1235A2CB (resized).jpeg97D21F71-459E-41F2-ADFA-6E3C1235A2CB (resized).jpeg
3C25F2EE-995C-4912-B62C-3F377971E94F (resized).jpeg3C25F2EE-995C-4912-B62C-3F377971E94F (resized).jpeg

Installed view:
884E0DEE-D750-4222-8E30-36BDEF3126BC (resized).jpeg884E0DEE-D750-4222-8E30-36BDEF3126BC (resized).jpeg

Back in service (my speaker panel will get refinished and get the ArcadeVideo decal when I do my rebuild):
CFD0A792-7898-4209-B3BB-FB0B444BF743 (resized).jpegCFD0A792-7898-4209-B3BB-FB0B444BF743 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1210 1 year ago

I can’t believe it… this topper is huge! I just joined the club.

Played 1 game before I needed to get back to work, but playing pretty good besides a weak magnet. I saw the thread on the ground for the optos, so I’ll check after work, but can’t wait to try to get to Atlantis

69648080-5A71-4E63-9008-CA54F18C6AA0 (resized).jpeg69648080-5A71-4E63-9008-CA54F18C6AA0 (resized).jpeg
#1211 1 year ago

Do stock outlanes on Ripleys have fat posts all the way down?

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Do stock outlanes on Ripleys have fat posts all the way down?

Very doubtful, and not on the flyer.

The entire difficulty of Riplys is the outlane, the middle is pretty forgiving.

RBION (resized).jpgRBION (resized).jpg
#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Very doubtful, and not on the flyer.
The entire difficulty of Riplys is the outlane, the middle is pretty forgiving. [quoted image]

Thanks, I’ll move them up

#1214 1 year ago

The outlanes are hell. I’ve got mine all the way down and theyre still Drain City.

#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

The outlanes are hell. I’ve got mine all the way down and theyre still Drain City.

Yeah, I’ve got 2 issues to look at over the weekend (scoop shoots to right flipper majority of the time, and it won’t hold settings). While I’m in there I’ll probably switch those posts to the midpoint, and see how it plays. I’m losing the majority of balls to the center due to the scoop now, but it seems to be playing pretty easy beyond that.

Figured adjusting the posts to stock would add to the longevity of the game for me.

#1216 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Yeah, I’ve got 2 issues to look at over the weekend (scoop shoots to right flipper majority of the time, and it won’t hold settings). While I’m in there I’ll probably switch those posts to the midpoint, and see how it plays. I’m losing the majority of balls to the center due to the scoop now, but it seems to be playing pretty easy beyond that.
Figured adjusting the posts to stock would add to the longevity of the game for me.

You're definitely a better player than I! I think I've gotten 3 or 4 letters max, and score was very low when I did. Definitely a great machine to learn ball control on. I'll have to pay attention where my scoop return goes, but I think its directly to the left flipper which I assumed was intended.

#1217 1 year ago

Yeah I played 5 games when I got it yesterday, and got 4 letters on my second game… only 28m though. Did better score wise on my last game and got GC, but only 1 letter.

I’ll put it all together sometime, but have a ways to go.

#1218 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Loose or broken weld on scoop maybe

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lose or broken weld on scoop maybe

Yeah after reading through the tread, that’s what I’m assuming. I’m hoping I can just bend it enough and order the mantis replacement so I can keep playing while I wait, plus see if I can find the sticker. I also played a game today and the idol was constantly going off. I’m assuming I’m going to have my hands full with…
- new opto boards x3
- mantis replacement scoop
- replacement sticker?
- new Nvram? Or new board…. I suppose it depends what I find this weekend
- move my posts
- probably check all the rubbers while I am at it

#1220 1 year ago

Well the scoop is very likely just to be loose screws, so lets hope for that!
Idol can just be optio cleaning as well

#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Yeah after reading through the tread, that’s what I’m assuming. I’m hoping I can just bend it enough and order the mantis replacement so I can keep playing while I wait, plus see if I can find the sticker. I also played a game today and the idol was constantly going off. I’m assuming I’m going to have my hands full with…
- new opto boards x3
- mantis replacement scoop
- replacement sticker?
- new Nvram? Or new board…. I suppose it depends what I find this weekend
- move my posts
- probably check all the rubbers while I am at it

May not need actual opto boards. Maybe just replace the actual optos. They're cheap and known to be flaky. As for the scoop, the broken weld is pretty common. It's actually pretty easy to remove. Once it's out, if you know anyone that can weld stainless steel, it's a quick fix. Nice to know that Mantis has one though. I have my outlane posts all the way down. Congrats on snagging a fun underrated Lawlor title!

#1222 1 year ago

Hmmm.. interesting. My machine always starts

Quoted from TheLaw:

Loose or broken weld on scoop maybe

If it's not this, try bending the scoop downward a bit.

#1223 1 year ago

Posts moved, scoop fixed, playfield cleaned and waxed… now the game is playing mean. Just need the nvram and I can call it a day.

Those posts sure do make a big difference on difficulty.

1 week later
#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

You're definitely a better player than I! I think I've gotten 3 or 4 letters max, and score was very low when I did. Definitely a great machine to learn ball control on. I'll have to pay attention where my scoop return goes, but I think its directly to the left flipper which I assumed was intended.

Scoop should shoot to the left flipper and dead bounce to the right if you do nothing. Scoop is most likely busted on the weld. It's a small weld and that scoop takes a lot of beating. I removed mine and used JB weld on it and it has held up well ever since.

#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Scoop should shoot to the left flipper and dead bounce to the right if you do nothing. Scoop is most likely busted on the weld. It's a small weld and that scoop takes a lot of beating. I removed mine and used JB weld on it and it has held up well ever since.

Yeah mine hits the right flipper and bounces to the left. I was planning to adjust switch to be closer on the top bumpers. I’ll take another look at the scoop while I have everything apart.

3 weeks later
#1226 1 year ago

Hey there,
I recently picked up a ripleys that had been on location and have been making many adjustments to get it to play right. One thing I've noticed is that the loop loop shot tends to get hung up on the metal posts above the rollover lanes. On the other hand, a clean left orbit shot through the pops will make it around to the upper right flipper cleanly.

Does anyone know if the loop shot noting making it around is common to ripleys? If not, are there any adjustments I might be able to make? (I didn't see a way to adjust the ball guide from under the playfield....maybe possible to bend it?)

Thanks!

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from Seirif:

Hey there,
I recently picked up a ripleys that had been on location and have been making many adjustments to get it to play right. One thing I've noticed is that the loop loop shot tends to get hung up on the metal posts above the rollover lanes. On the other hand, a clean left orbit shot through the pops will make it around to the upper right flipper cleanly.
Does anyone know if the loop shot noting making it around is common to ripleys? If not, are there any adjustments I might be able to make? (I didn't see a way to adjust the ball guide from under the playfield....maybe possible to bend it?)
Thanks!

It's designed to stay in the rollovers for the upper flipper; if not you'd never encounter the bonus X at all.
Some people increase the flipper coil to the upper flipper for more "Pep" though.

1 week later
#1228 1 year ago

My New RBION Speaker Decal.

I'm doing some more fun stuff to my RBION so I'll send some more updates pix.

Cheers everyone Hangar 18.........

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#1230 1 year ago

Hi everyone. I'm moving out of state and have to sacrifice one of my machines due to lack of room in the new home. Unfortunately RBION is the one that needs to go. Anyone here know someone who may be interested? https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/141608
I'm kind of in a bind as this needs to be sold and picked up before 9/23 in West Seattle, WA. Open to offers. Appreciate any help finding it a new home!

#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Hi everyone. I'm moving out of state and have to sacrifice one of my machines due to lack of room in the new home. Unfortunately RBION is the one that needs to go. Anyone here know someone who may be interested? https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/141608
I'm kind of in a bind as this needs to be sold and picked up before 9/23 in West Seattle, WA. Open to offers. Appreciate any help finding it a new home!

That’s a fantastic looking and loaded RBION. I hope someone jumps on it, looks like a great buy to me. GLWS!

#1232 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

BUMP: Can anyone please help me find a new owner? I only have 10 days left to sell it. I've tried all avenues I know of.

#1233 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

BUMP: Can anyone please help me find a new owner? I only have 10 days left to sell it. I've tried all avenues I know of.

I've had a Ripley's for many years now. It's a great game, and your machine looks nice. But, it's not selling because of the price. Drop it into the high 4's with a firm price and it will move. Maybe even low 5's, maybe.

#1234 1 year ago

If someone could please help me sell mine for 5700

#1235 1 year ago

To reiterate, I'm asking for folks here to share my listing to friends/word of mouth. I am open to best offers given the time crunch I'm in. Please let me know if you can help in that manner.

I've had a Ripley's for many years now. It's a great game, and your machine looks nice. But, it's not selling because of the price. Drop it into the high 4's with a firm price and it will move. Maybe even low 5's, maybe.

Thank you for the advice! While your point makes sense, unfortunately, there are currently 4 other RBION's for sale which have been up since far before I posted mine. A couple in the $5k range and the others in the $4k range still haven't sold. Most have some mechanical and/or playfield issue which mine does not. Plus none have the entire suite of mods mine has. https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/market

I'm willing to go far lower on the price only b/c I am in a time crunch. This is why I posted mine as OBO. I had one person offer $5k which I accepted but he never responded again after that.

I've now lowered it per your advice + based on the price others are going for currently.

With all this said, I don't see how listing the price to this lower figure will actually get anyone to buy it in the needed timeframe since the other listings haven't been sold. I'm happy to claim ignorance here as this is the first time I've ever tried to sell one of my machines.

Quoted from TheLaw:

If someone could please help me sell mine for 5700

While you might find the OBO price I have listed it as hilarious, a comment like this is not conducive to my ask for help. I'm not asking for help selling it at $5700, I'm just asking for help selling it...

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

To reiterate, I'm asking for folks here to share my listing to friends/word of mouth. I am open to best offers given the time crunch I'm in. Please let me know if you can help in that manner.

Thank you for the advice! While your point makes sense, unfortunately, there are currently 4 other RBION's for sale which have been up since far before I posted mine. A couple in the $5k range and the others in the $4k range still haven't sold. Most have some mechanical and/or playfield issue which mine does not. Plus none have the entire suite of mods mine has. https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/market
I'm willing to go far lower on the price only b/c I am in a time crunch. This is why I posted mine as OBO. I had one person offer $5k which I accepted but he never responded again after that.
I've now lowered it per your advice + based on the price others are going for currently.
With all this said, I don't see how listing the price to this lower figure will actually get anyone to buy it in the needed timeframe since the other listings haven't been sold. I'm happy to claim ignorance here as this is the first time I've ever tried to sell one of my machines.

While you might find the OBO price I have listed it as hilarious, a comment like this is not conducive to my ask for help. I'm not asking for help selling it at $5700, I'm just asking for help selling it...

I don't think I've ever seen 5 of this title for sale at the same time! That's crazy. Hopefully someone will come through for you.

#1237 1 year ago

Getting a little ball search action in the middle of the game, I’ve read quite abit about that but no real precise answer to why, my main question tonight is After the game ends on Rbion and you have two balls in the lock should they clear? Mine will clear them when I turn on the machine if some are in the lock but they will stay in between games? Is there a setting? Seemed like my Simpsons pinball party would keep them on the couch and we were able to switch it to clear after each game. Thanks for any input

#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

... After the game ends on Rbion and you have two balls in the lock should they clear?

No. It will just use the ramp diverter to throw the lock ball to the left inlane.

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

Getting a little ball search action in the middle of the game, I’ve read quite abit about that but no real precise answer to why, my main question tonight is After the game ends on Rbion and you have two balls in the lock should they clear? Mine will clear them when I turn on the machine if some are in the lock but they will stay in between games? Is there a setting? Seemed like my Simpsons pinball party would keep them on the couch and we were able to switch it to clear after each game. Thanks for any input

On my Ripleys if there are balls in the lock awaiting multi ball and game ends, after a minute or so it kicks them out.

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Lots of people sitting on money right now for the bond reveal, and like you said, lots of others for sale also at better prices unfortunately. Mods don't really add much value IMO for alot of folks...they actually detract from it for me personally because I have to spend time removing them in 90% of cases. It is also a love or hate game it seems like, it can take a bit of time to sell as it seems to be a bit more of a niche title.

#1241 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

While you might find the OBO price I have listed it as hilarious, a comment like this is not conducive to my ask for help.

Your price is whats not conducive to you selling the game; don't blame me buddy

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

My game will kick the balls out of the lock after it has sat idle (idol... ) for a few minutes. If you start a new game immediately, the balls stay put and the game keeps track of locks virtually.

#1243 1 year ago

My game will kick the balls out of the lock after it has sat idle (idol... ) for a few minutes. If you start a new game immediately, the balls stay put and the game keeps track of locks virtually.

Thanks for the info, that’s strange bizarre and unusual, also very Punny

#1244 1 year ago

Really Enjoying my Rbion, got it a few weeks ago. New rubbers, Led ,color dmd ,pinstickers ,tv mod, new rule cards,shooter rod, already had lit buttons and speaker grills , I added the globes, fun game, had some friends over the other night and it was definitely the bell of the ball

9A8807EC-066D-44E7-B75F-0042AB30A9A2 (resized).jpeg9A8807EC-066D-44E7-B75F-0042AB30A9A2 (resized).jpegA84E4FE9-E221-4400-9C8A-F838B004A3D3 (resized).jpegA84E4FE9-E221-4400-9C8A-F838B004A3D3 (resized).jpeg
#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Post it on the FB group PNW Pinball Classifieds, that's the most active place for local pinball sales right now.

#1246 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

Really Enjoying my Rbion, got it a few weeks ago. New rubbers, Led ,color dmd ,pinstickers ,tv mod, new rule cards,shooter rod, already had lit buttons and speaker grills , I added the globes, fun game, had some friends over the other night and it was definitely the bell of the ball
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! All that's missing is the speaker panel decal.

Does anyone know where to get that Idol sculpture from?

RBION Speaker panel (resized).jpgRBION Speaker panel (resized).jpg
#1247 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

BackAlley has the temple mod, a bit pricey, but very, very nice!
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/ripleys-believe-it-or-not-pinball-mods

#1248 1 year ago
Quoted from Dozen:

What shooting rod do you have? I added the shrunken head one from Modfather. The quality of it is great, but it's extremely heavy. The skill shot is unmakeable, I'm going to add some more washers to tighten up the spring which should fix it.

#1249 1 year ago

I”m prepping for a full rebuild of my RBION and thinking a TV mod playing clips of the subjects featured in the game would be neat. What do y’all think about a larger (2.8”) TV being added to RBION?

Here is a mock-up I printed to test the size and placement (I’m thinking over the right ramp):

456340D4-968E-42AB-9D4B-B358A30BF7DA (resized).jpeg456340D4-968E-42AB-9D4B-B358A30BF7DA (resized).jpeg7FD81615-04F4-446F-AA29-534854F08648 (resized).jpeg7FD81615-04F4-446F-AA29-534854F08648 (resized).jpeg
#1250 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

I”m prepping for a full rebuild of my RBION and thinking a TV mod playing clips of the subjects featured in the game would be neat. What do y’all think about a larger (2.8”) TV being added to RBION?
Here is a mock-up I printed to test the size and placement (I’m thinking over the right ramp):

2.8 might be too big. I played with some 1.5 screens which were a bit too small. Grab a 2.0 or 2.1 if you can find one. That said, the idea is perfect for this machine!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.