(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,208 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by ArcadeVideo
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E41D4AA1-730E-4A04-B25D-0D57B448B75D (resized).jpeg
RBION Speaker panel (resized).jpg
20211205_225857 (resized).jpg
20220220_104023_HDR (resized).jpg
RBION Speaker Decal Comp (resized).jpg
20211017_172712 (resized).jpg
20211017_173302 (resized).jpg
653A79DC-24A7-4E4D-90B8-04BBDCC9E8A5 (resized).jpeg
6BDE6063-FDC5-45F4-9719-0479F7EB503C (resized).jpeg
8AC95C83-2587-422B-9557-78EE9CEBDB1B (resized).jpeg
3A3181E0-2B31-4807-86C1-4C86E0F7C180 (resized).jpeg
3443107F-A007-4FE9-91E5-01CA5DF18ACD (resized).jpeg
BF1A9274-EFF6-4732-9E7D-8BCD8888C30A (resized).jpeg
C3768438-CF24-4485-93FF-87500F088D62 (resized).png
936F8313-3BED-4B78-BAA0-3CABAFE61D73 (resized).jpeg
20210629_133713 (resized).jpg

There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 25.
#1151 4 months ago

EDIT: Just going to move along and play pinball

3 weeks later
#1152 3 months ago

Are flaky Idol optos a common problem on Ripley's? I can have games where they trigger 3-5 times for no reason when the ball is on the right ramp then see a long game with no issues

#1153 3 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Are flaky Idol optos a common problem on Ripley's? I can have games where they trigger 3-5 times for no reason when the ball is on the right ramp then see a long game with no issues

Yeah because the light passes through an insert, which is a little unusual.

#1154 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from DK:

Yes, what TheLaw said, and other optics on the machine are known to be flaky as well. They're cheap and pretty easy to replace.

#1155 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I consider it more strange, possibly bizarre…

#1156 3 months ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

Yes, what TheLaw said, and other optics on the machine are known to be flaky as well. They're cheap and pretty easy to replace.

I have experienced a similar issue, with my idol opto getting triggered when the left flipper fires. In my case, it's a loose wire connection at the opto board.

#1157 3 months ago

Do optos act differently when you install LEDs in GI? I've had that problem before with the magnet/shrunken head opto.

#1158 3 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

I'm considering making a similar speaker panel decal for RBION. Cost would likely be $60USD, including shipping to anywhere in North America. Is anyone else interested?

A follow-up on the speaker decal idea. I've designed this one, along with some stickers to put on the the tombstone targets. Send me a DM to let me know you're interested in these and I'll get some printed up!

RBION Speaker Decal Comp (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1159 3 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Are flaky Idol optos a common problem on Ripley's?

A little late, but yes, flaky optos are common on Ripley's and all Stern Whitestar games that use those optos. They don't age well and become susceptible to phantom hits from flashers and other lights. On Ripley's, original optos combined with LED lighting is a recipe for switch matrix disaster.

The Idol optos are the most exposed. If you're hearing the goofy idol noises when a ball isn't anywhere near it, you need new optos. Shrunken head optos can also get phantom hits. The pair on the upper loop are more hidden, but still should be replaced based on age alone. Replacement optos are available and no soldering needed. Cheap and simple upgrade.

#1160 3 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

A follow-up on the speaker decal idea. I've designed this one, along with some stickers to put on the the tombstone targets. Send me a DM to let me know you're interested in these and I'll get some printed up!
[quoted image]

It looks amazing! Nice work!!!!!!! I wish I still had my Ripley's machine just so I could buy it in a heartbeat!!!!! Ripley's was a really great machine, but ran out of space.

#1161 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Replacing the optos fixed it 100%

#1162 3 months ago

Nice. Trough optos will go next

#1163 3 months ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

It looks amazing! Nice work!!!!!!! I wish I still had my Ripley's machine just so I could buy it in a heartbeat!!!!! Ripley's was a really great machine, but ran out of space.

Thanks! This is a favourite game for me - I'll consider myself lucky to have another machine good enough to replace it in my collection.

#1164 3 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

Thanks! This is a favourite game for me - I'll consider myself lucky to have another machine good enough to replace it in my collection.

One suggestion: Keep an eye on the magnetic post under the shrunken head. It will mushroom over time. It will bloom so much that it starts damaging the playfield. It's worth checking it and replacing it or grinding the top if you have the grinder. The hardest part is removing the post and nut from the bracket under the playfield. Some of them have been Loctited over the years, which will make this all but impossible to fix if the mushroom on top doesn't fit through the playfield hole. The parts are easy to find if needed.

#1165 3 months ago

How deep is this game? I have a shadow that I regularly get to the final battle so looking for another challenging pin.

#1166 3 months ago
Quoted from DropGems:

How deep is this game? I have a shadow that I regularly get to the final battle so looking for another challenging pin.

I've owned mine for about 3 years and I'll make a bet that you won't reach the end, I haven't. Not even close. If you can get to Froggy Frenzy you will then be allowed to sell your machine. I went on Youtube to watch what actually happens, this guy plays and plays for what seems like eternity, and then not surprisingly, he makes an edit right before Froggy Frenzy because he didn't actually do it, he had to set it up for the final shot.
Played my game just yesterday, and heard call outs, and one animation that I had never seen before. Not sure exactly what I achieved but I have to say, I like this game.

Quoted from DK:

Are flaky Idol optos a common problem on Ripley's?

Yup. Bought mine HUO, pristine, never played a Ripleys, and I heard all of this constant laughing. I thought "this is annoying". Quickly traced it to idol. Ordered new optos, and has worked ever since.

#1167 3 months ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Took me like 2 years to get to Atlantis,
Never gotten Frog Frenzy; it ain't easy.

#1168 3 months ago
Quoted from DropGems:

I've never reached Atlantis or Frog Frenzy. Easy to understand, hard to achieve. This game hits that sweet spot.

#1169 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Took me like 2 years to get to Atlantis,
Never gotten Frog Frenzy; it ain't easy.

Same here! Got to Atlantis once. Frog Frenzy still alludes me as does Atlantis for a 2nd time.

#1170 3 months ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I went on Youtube to watch what actually happens, this guy plays and plays for what seems like eternity, and then not surprisingly, he makes an edit right before Froggy Frenzy because he didn't actually do it, he had to set it up for the final shot.

"That guy" is Keith Elwin:

#1171 3 months ago
Quoted from DropGems:

I've reached Atlantis twice, but never reached Frog Frenzy. A friend once focused just on the super jackpots and reached Frog Frenzy. It was a very low scoring mode.

I've got a Shadow also. It's easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow.

#1172 3 months ago

I've managed to get to Atlantis a few times and Frog Frenzy twice. The first time i got Frog Frenzy it scared the shit out of me as i thought I had broken the machine.

#1173 3 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

I've reached Atlantis twice, but never reached Frog Frenzy. A friend once focused just on the super jackpots and reached Frog Frenzy. It was a very low scoring mode.
I've got a Shadow also. It's easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow.

It's significantly easier to reach Final Battle on Shadow. I had a Shadow and could get multiple Final Battles in a single game. Getting to Atlantis took me longer than any other game I have had to get to the wizard mode. I've done it many times now, but it is still difficult and always special when I get there. I've gotten Frog Frenzy once. Frog Frenzy is so tough because you have to get all 6 super jackpots and then another one after that to start it. It is low scoring, but I talked to Keith about that and he said you had to stack it with a multiball to make it more valuable. I was just happy to get it once, I wasn't about to try for the perfect stack and drain out at that point.

#1174 87 days ago

I got my Ripley's last year after a pinball break of about 15 years (Spiderman & POTC were about the only machines you would find here in NYC back then and only in a few bars). I bought Ripley's as it was the one my local guy had that was in my price range and was in beautiful condition. I've played several other machines since then at various locations but finding it hard to find anything that really does it for me like Ripley's. Obviously, the fact that I now know the gameplay on Ripley's inside out contributes to my bias but was wondering if anyone else can recommend other machines with similar gameplay to Ripley's? Some of the more recent Sterns I've played seem to have a lot of wide-open space and rely on constant loop shots which bore me after a while.

#1175 87 days ago
Quoted from Bogwoppa:

...was wondering if anyone else can recommend other machines with similar gameplay to Ripley's?

Have you played Rush?

Side/ lower scoop in roughly the same position
Left orbit shot through pops
Upper loop repeatable from upper right flipper
Three ramps
Center ramp is major shot

Rules aside, very similar play IMO. Not a big fan of the band, but enjoying the game so far. If you like Ripley's, give it a try.

#1176 87 days ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

I saw a different video. Keith is not edited.

#1177 87 days ago
Quoted from Bogwoppa:

I got my Ripley's last year after a pinball break of about 15 years (Spiderman & POTC were about the only machines you would find here in NYC back then and only in a few bars). I bought Ripley's as it was the one my local guy had that was in my price range and was in beautiful condition. I've played several other machines since then at various locations but finding it hard to find anything that really does it for me like Ripley's. Obviously, the fact that I now know the gameplay on Ripley's inside out contributes to my bias but was wondering if anyone else can recommend other machines with similar gameplay to Ripley's? Some of the more recent Sterns I've played seem to have a lot of wide-open space and rely on constant loop shots which bore me after a while.

Anything by Pat Lawlor will probably fill your bucket, but the more obvious one is probably Twilight Zone.

#1178 87 days ago
Quoted from RonaldRayGun:

Anything by Pat Lawlor will probably fill your bucket, but the more obvious one is probably Twilight Zone.

Dialed In and RBION seem similar to me.

#1179 87 days ago

I happen to have all of our Lawlor games together WW, Addams, TZ and RBION all have a similar layout feel but it's still a good thing.
Dialed In is great also just a terrible theme.

20220220_104023_HDR (resized).jpg
#1180 87 days ago
Quoted from liftmagnet:

This has been a constant on off issue since I had the game. I originally replaced the switch when I first had the issue and that had no effect, so it is a newish switch. The biggest rage inducing problem I have with this is there is nothing objectively wrong with the game; in the switch test the shooter lane switch is working perfectly as well as the trough optos. The only time this has an effect is during multi ball when a new ball is added to the shooter lane and the game just sits there for 6-8 seconds before it decides to launch the ball; during the ball saver if another ball is drained during that time a second ball will be put into the shooter lane. Also if at any time a ball falls back into the shooter lane it will never be kicked back out.
I have adjusted the switch to both maximize and minimize the possible contact time with the switch as well as in-between, but I have never found anything to work long term. It just decides to to start working sometimes and I have not found any pattern to what works or not. I am surprised that a few of you have never had this problem because I figured that this was just one of the many bugs in this game and were hoping someone found a work around.

I'm having this same shooter lane issue. It tests fine in test mode (with a ball) & all trough switches test ok. When i do a factory reset the error goes away & the game plays flawlessly for about 20 games & then the alert & all issues during gameplay return. I do another factory reset & the game plays flawlessly again for 20 games or so only to go bad yet again. As soon as that alert pops up the switch will act totally different during gameplay. I reseated all connections on the boards, checked the wiring, reseated cpu rom, & replaced the diode on shooter lane switch just to be safe.

#1181 86 days ago

Thanks all. I guess I’ll check out Rush and sell one of my kids to get one of the other Lawlors.

#1182 85 days ago
Quoted from Belvedere:

I'm having this same shooter lane issue. It tests fine in test mode (with a ball) & all trough switches test ok. When i do a factory reset the error goes away & the game plays flawlessly for about 20 games & then the alert & all issues during gameplay return. I do another factory reset & the game plays flawlessly again for 20 games or so only to go bad yet again. As soon as that alert pops up the switch will act totally different during gameplay. I reseated all connections on the boards, checked the wiring, reseated cpu rom, & replaced the diode on shooter lane switch just to be safe.

Update:

I played 5 games or so like a normal person at lunch today, & the alert / games issues cleared itself. Everything works as it should now. I was giving that switch constant abuse (intentionally draining balls to reload the shooter lane, etc) after that switch error was thrown up therefore the alert / game issues never left. I’m sure this would have come up in the past for me when I’ve played but I only recently turned my alerts on. It must just be the software

#1183 85 days ago
Quoted from Belvedere:

It must just be the software.

If you're on older code, chances are good it was a software problem. Early code was very buggy. Get to at least 3.0 if you're not there. Don't forget to order the video ROM too.

If software is newish, another possible cause is the opto switches. If they're all original, replace them. They don't age we'll and become very susceptible to phantom hits from flashers and other lamps. Can confuse the switch matrix. LED'd games almost guarantee it (with factory optos). Assuming you've inspected/ reseated trough board connectors.

#1184 85 days ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you're on older code, chances are good it was a software problem. Early code was very buggy. Get to at least 3.0 if you're not there. Don't forget to order the video ROM too.
If software is newish, another possible cause is the opto switches. If they're all original, replace them. They don't age we'll and become very susceptible to phantom hits from flashers and other lamps. Can confuse the switch matrix. LED'd games almost guarantee it (with factory optos). Assuming you've inspected/ reseated trough board connectors.

I'm running the updated CPU rom 3.20 with display 3.00.. All optos & the shooter lane switch worked 100% in test mode with a ball. If you ever run into this alert & all switches test ok.... I would definitely recommend just try playing it normal for a bit. When I ran into this issue I googled it to death. I had previously heard about the opto issues on this game so I definitely looked at those & gave them a good testing. Poibug's post #18 on this page is what turned me onto the software issue

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/rbion-hypersensitive-switch.5710/

#1185 85 days ago

Default setting on 3.20 rom for tech alerts is "never". I'm not sure what most games come preset as.. I feel if more folks turned on their tech alerts this would have come up more often, just a guess.

#1186 85 days ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I just noticed your name, I love me some Phish! My brother and I made it to Alpine in 2019 for Ruby Waves.. we're trying to get tickets again for this year

#1187 84 days ago

I have a question if someone could help me out.. why doesn't the flashing continent insert always match the mode given ? I noticed this today on my machine so I double checked the PAPA video of Keith playing. At the very beginning (25 - 30 second mark) you can see he has Europe flashing. . He then shoots the scoop to start the mode. What comes up is Australia.. Other times, the mode/continent that comes up will corelate to what the flashing insert was. Is that a code error ? It's hard to see, but the inserts from top to bottom are as follows: Africa , Antarctica , Asia , Australia , Europe , North America , South America , ? , Extra Ball , Special

#1188 82 days ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Someone in a podcast said that Keith told them it is one of his favorite games.

#1189 78 days ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Shadow is nailed down in my garage. I picked up a Ripleys a few weeks ago and am loving it. Hard to play, easy to understand. Its not going anywhere soon.

#1190 78 days ago

amazon.com link »

Heres a great little add on Penguin.

#1191 78 days ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

amazon.com link »
Heres a great little add on Penguin.

I am not a mod guy, but that was the one mod I had to have! I remember playing RBION on location when it was new, and the operator had added that same penguin. When I got my machine, I knew the penguin was “missing.”

#1192 78 days ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Shadow is nailed down in my garage. I picked up a Ripleys a few weeks ago and am loving it. Hard to play, easy to understand. Its not going anywhere soon.

One thing to check is the post under the shrunken head. It mushrooms over time and at some point, becomes really hard to replace without a hassle. The parts are easy, the swap is also easy if the top of the post still fits through the playfield. If not, PM me for some advise how to fix it…

#1193 78 days ago

One thing to check is the post under the shrunken head. It mushrooms over time and at some point, becomes really hard to replace without a hassle. The parts are easy, the swap is also easy if the top of the post still fits through the playfield. If not, PM me for some advise how to fix it…

Couldn't a dremel be used to slim the post if it is mushroomed?

#1194 78 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Once you get it out of the machine, sure, although it would be easier to get new parts at that point.

#1195 77 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Lots of variables when the post has mushroomed. The dremel will tear up your playfield unless you push the post UP through the playfield, which means that the nut below can be loosened, which may have loctite applied, or may not budge due to other grime being embedded in the threads. Once you remove the post and bracket and nut, a bench grinder will fix the top of the post right up if you wish to save the post. So the key is checking your machine and see what your variables are. The loctite on the post and bracket and nut is a tough one if your machine has it. Also, the nut takes a 1-1/8 socket wrench which may not be in your toolbox, and if you apply too much pressure, it will rip out of the playfield before the nut loosens. Ugg. (A little heft may be helpful if that is your situation). Finally, the post has a slot which helps with turning it, but only if loctite free. If not, you may be making a tool to fit snuggly in the slot and has enough heft to allow you to turn it.

Like I said, PM if you run into problems...

#1196 77 days ago

Lots of variables when the post has mushroomed. The dremel will tear up your playfield unless you push the post UP through the playfield, which means that the nut below can be loosened, which may have loctite applied, or may not budge due to other grime being embedded in the threads. Once you remove the post and bracket and nut, a bench grinder will fix the top of the post right up if you wish to save the post. So the key is checking your machine and see what your variables are. The loctite on the post and bracket and nut is a tough one if your machine has it. Also, the nut takes a 1-1/8 socket wrench which may not be in your toolbox, and if you apply too much pressure, it will rip out of the playfield before the nut loosens. Ugg. (A little heft may be helpful if that is your situation). Finally, the post has a slot which helps with turning it, but only if loctite free. If not, you may be making a tool to fit snuggly in the slot and has enough heft to allow you to turn it.
Like I said, PM if you run into problems...

A Harbor Freight 1/2 inch flathead socket worked great for me to get my magnet core out. It had loctite also and had to go up because mine was mushroomed also. It fits the magnet core perfectly.

20211205_225857 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1197 66 days ago

Just joined the club... looking for a right inlane (or right return according to the manuel) plastic. Has the words ' or Not!' on it. Game came with a set of plastics but not this one, must break a lot... or if anyone has a high res scan this would be a good piece to try my skills on trying making one myself. It looks to be the same size and shape of the left just in reverse.

Thanks in advance.

#1198 60 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

[quoted image]

At last, the RBION speaker panel decal is ready for order. I'm throwing in two sets of Tombstone target stickers too! You can place orders here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1266-pinball-nerd-decals-/06631-ripley-s-believe-it-or-not-speaker-panel-amp-tombstone-decals

Shipping begins March 30.

RBION Speaker panel (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1199 49 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

At last, the RBION speaker panel decal is ready for order. I'm throwing in two sets of Tombstone target stickers too! You can place orders here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1266-pinball-nerd-decals-/06631-ripley-s-believe-it-or-not-speaker-panel-amp-tombstone-decals
Shipping begins March 30.[quoted image]

Shipping is starting today! Note that there was a mistake in the Pinside store, which overcharged for shipping. The price you see in the store now includes shipping - there will be no additional fee added upon checkout.

1 month later
#1200 16 days ago

New owner! Picked up a great example from a fellow Pinsider. Has LEDs and LED board, Pin2DMD, upgraded speakers, and mirror blades. Overall in excellent shape. Just ordered ArcadeVideo's speaker panel. Plan to add the upgraded pyramids down the road, and maybe a shrunken head shooter as well. Looking forward to spending a lot of time learning the rule set and trying to reach Atlantis.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!