(Topic ID: 90719)

Club RBION: The Strange, the unusual, the bizarre!

By chadderack

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_123715 (resized).jpg
20240322_211239 (resized).jpg
RBION-light-scoop-connector (resized).JPG
RBION-light-scoop-mounting (resized).JPG
20240310_211336 (resized).jpg
20240310_211327 (resized).jpg
20240310_211301 (resized).jpg
20240310_211313 (resized).jpg
20240310_211246 (resized).jpg
20240310_211226 (resized).jpg
IMG_1644 (resized).jpeg
20240225_071317 (resized).jpg
60475cf43a8833282adc2199f67fec32 (resized).jpg
20240224_152743 (resized).jpg
20240224_152151 (resized).jpg
plastics needed.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.
#701 5 years ago

Clean the play field AND the plastics where the opto lights shine through.

#702 5 years ago

Once you've done all the usual tricks of cleaning the optos and plastics and adjusting the alignment of said optos and plastics, if it still plays up, then remove the top onto and reflow the solder. If it still plays up then replace the opto. That's what I wound up having to do on mine.

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Once you've done all the usual tricks of cleaning the optos and plastics and adjusting the alignment of said optos and plastics, if it still plays up, then remove the top onto and reflow the solder. If it still plays up then replace the opto. That's what I wound up having to do on mine.

OK...will do that today and see what happens. I thought since the opto/switch was working (test) everything should work as normal...this thing confuses me. It does go on and off during game play. I think I need to check the magnet too. The opto boards are the same....any one swap these for sanity check? I'm just not sure how the game should play since it does this since I got it.

#704 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

So...clear this up for me please. Optic switch under idol is working....block led with ball or finger and it shows active switch...but only when I block it does the chatter and lights stop....when operating normally, it just won't shut up. Does that mean new assemblies and board?

I'd replace the opto assemblies themselves first. They're most likely the problem. They're just a few dollars each. I actually bought spares to keep on hand. They register false hits when going bad. Hence blocking them stopping the chatter makes sense. Some folks may recommend redoing the solder on the optos, but they're so cheap, I'd just replace them.

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'd replace the opto assemblies themselves first. They're most likely the problem. They're just a few dollars each. I actually bought spares to keep on hand. They register false hits when going bad. Hence blocking them stopping the chatter makes sense. Some folks may recommend redoing the solder on the optos, but they're so cheap, I'd just replace them.

Yeah....I'll probably try that. I did swap the boards and the game seems to start "normally" but as you progress it seems to get weird and start the crazy idol chatter and light thing. Agree they are inexpensive....wonder if as they warm up they get flaky?

#706 5 years ago

Check to see if your Idol is shorting on the bracket under the PF. I had this problem after packing up & moving.

#707 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Check to see if your Idol is shorting on the bracket under the PF. I had this problem after packing up & moving.

Not sure what that means....

#708 5 years ago

The leads can move & short on the bracket.

#709 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

The leads can move & short on the bracket.

Are you talking about the magnet leads? Or opto leads?

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Are you talking about the magnet leads? Or opto leads?

Replace the freakin' optos already.... problem solved...

1 week later
#711 5 years ago

from where I will find one tiki from my RBION in low price?

#712 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

from where I will find one tiki from my RBION in low price?

This what you are looking for?

https://mezelmods.com/products/ripleys-believe-it-or-not-pinball-idol-flasher

#713 5 years ago

yes this is avaible?

1 week later
#714 5 years ago

Shopping a RBION for a friend....Are individual plastics avail for this game? Need the bottom right outlane plastic....Looks like bright white leds look the best in GI after looking at some of the pics.

#715 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

yes this is avaible?

You’d have to contact them.

#716 5 years ago

Replace the freakin' optos already.... problem solved...

Just an update....finally ordered and received the optos after the holidays and installed two days ago. And you guys were right....machine plays like a different machine...everything is so peaceful and quiet and normal. Almost miss those chattering idols....not. Thanks to everyone.

#717 5 years ago

Love this pin. Why isn’t it rated higher?

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Love this pin. Why isn’t it rated higher?

Theme and presence would be my guess

#719 5 years ago

I’d buy one, but with my limited collection (3 pin max). I’m not sure it would work well with my Shadow... given they have very similar locks.

#720 5 years ago

Shadow and Ripley's are super different games.

For starters, one has zero pops while the other has six.

#721 5 years ago

What a great game! My first pin & I really enjoy it!

#722 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I’d buy one, but with my limited collection (3 pin max). I’m not sure it would work well with my Shadow... given they have very similar locks.

RBION lock are in a separate lane via the right ramp, not like Shadow at all.
I woulnd't be worried, these games are not similar at all.

#723 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Theme and presence would be my guess

Agree with theme, although I really don’t it since it’s one of the few modern games that is essentially an original theme. What do you mean by “presence”, @TheLaw? Meaning it’s hard to find in location?

#724 5 years ago
Quoted from Lawtalkinguy:

...Meaning it’s hard to find in location?

Yeah that's my thought. 2004 time frame of course isn't a popular one with Stern..so I think a lot of those get looked over.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's my thought. 2004 time frame of course isn't a popular one with Stern..so I think a lot of those get looked over.

Yup. Agreed. Virtually never see this game out there. And if it is it’s usually not working as it should.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Just an update....finally ordered and received the optos after the holidays and installed two days ago. And you guys were right....machine plays like a different machine...everything is so peaceful and quiet and normal. Almost miss those chattering idols....not. Thanks to everyone.

You're welcome, I had a feeling.....

#727 5 years ago

Hello

Suddenly from its own it started throwing all the balls at the right side at the plunger . What is wrong.?

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Hello
...it started throwing all the balls at the right side at the plunger . What is wrong.?

OK try to explain a little more. Do you mean the left side? There isn't anything to the right side of the ball plunger

#729 5 years ago

Just got one! Pristine exemple with pinstadium. A It’s an hidden gem!!!
Really hard but not to deep. The kind of game who makes you a better player for sure!
A Colordmd is a must!!
Just added 2 micro leds in the heads eyes. Makes it Really pop when it speaks!

0BB5AE14-539E-4EF2-B917-0AF6D28F66FC (resized).jpeg0BB5AE14-539E-4EF2-B917-0AF6D28F66FC (resized).jpegE99DDDC5-066F-41DF-B8ED-033280063005 (resized).jpegE99DDDC5-066F-41DF-B8ED-033280063005 (resized).jpeg
#730 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

OK try to explain a little more. Do you mean the left side? There isn't anything to the right side of the ball plunger

Perhaps his scoop started ejecting balls to the right? I'm just guessing of course....

#731 5 years ago

Really hard but not to deep. The kind of game who makes you a better player for sure!
A Colordmd is a must!!

Very nice!!! You'll love it

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Hello
Suddenly from its own it started throwing all the balls at the right side at the plunger . What is wrong.?

Perhaps his scoop started ejecting balls to the right? I'm just guessing of course....

If that's what you meant go under and make sure the scoop is screwed in securely to the underside of the playfield and not loose.
Also looks for crack in the welds for the scoop with is common

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

A Colordmd is a must!!
Just added 2 micro leds in the heads eyes. Makes it Really pop when it speaks![quoted image][quoted image]

Hell, that LED eyes idea is great. I might steal it for mine!

Glad to see that the Pinstadium lights make a big difference, too. Any chance you could post a photo with the Pinstadiums doing a warm white?

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Glad to see that the Pinstadium lights make a big difference, too. Any chance you could post a photo with the Pinstadiums doing a warm white?

I like the lit eyes as well. Someone make and sell a mod!
Terry.

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

I tried and now I prefer that Warmer/almost redish setup

it’s almost impossible to take a picture of it. The camera can’t grab what the eyes see. I could send you specs of my levels in pinstadium but pictures doesn’t work

I think It’s the only reason why lots of people hesitate on buying one. This mod is so expansive. But like a ColorDmd, it’s A no brainer when you have it (i’m not working for pinstadium I was Cheese_wizardPQ on pinside and got lots of game. I restarted my collection and pinstadium make old games feel new)

I solder the Head eyes right on the flasher in it. Easy. Works like a charm. Also put a violet flasher in it. Why not?

#736 5 years ago
27A38259-0122-4383-BD73-1976FA9B3685 (resized).png27A38259-0122-4383-BD73-1976FA9B3685 (resized).pngB0C4AD55-9BC6-4481-A5C1-E9F2BF65BFC0 (resized).pngB0C4AD55-9BC6-4481-A5C1-E9F2BF65BFC0 (resized).pngBDD124E4-44E5-4EDC-BB72-9E4232A55F87 (resized).jpegBDD124E4-44E5-4EDC-BB72-9E4232A55F87 (resized).jpeg
#737 5 years ago

the optical sensors must always be illuminated in red light; in my own the optical sensor on the left of the tomb stone seems to work and has red light, the other two on the head do not work. What should I do? I can fix them somehow?

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

the optical sensors must always be illuminated in red light; in my own the optical sensor on the left of the tomb stone seems to work and has red light, the other two on the head do not work. What should I do? I can fix them somehow?

Easy cheap fix. Just buy 2 new optics and replace them. They're cheap. I'd buy extras to keep on hand. Shipping will probably cost more than the parts.

#739 5 years ago

Easy cheap fix. Just buy 2 new optics and replace them. They're cheap. I'd buy extras to keep on hand. Shipping will probably cost more than the parts.

Thanks. You have correct link for this product? and
the optical sensors must always be illuminated in red light;

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Thanks. You have correct link for this product? and

This is where I buy mine
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-opto-transceiver.html

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

and

Yes when they are active. Remember when the Idol is "asleep" the red light might be off.

#742 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre/page/14#post-4645757
pic.jpgpic.jpg

Alright guys, I'm back. Just to fill everyone in, I've been trying to gain access to a RBION in person but still have not been able to do so. I really want to do this so that I can color match the yellow as best as possible (of course, who knows what fade a pin I get access to may or may not have). I've also been exploring the professional printing route, but this is not going to work for a few reasons. Even though the costs are good, there are issues with coloring and that nasty copyright stuff.

As a result, I will still need to make them by hand, but I've changed the way I will produce them - the key change being the adhesive backing (I was using double-sided tape).

1) Printed on 6 color photo quality inkjet printer using OEM inks (no cheap third party stuff)
2) Printed as a single piece on OEM ultra gloss photo paper (again, no cheap third party stuff)
3) Laminated on top with 3 mil clear gloss vinyl
4) Full coverage extremely high tach adhesive backing - once it place it will not lift, peel, or color change

With the above stated, are there any owners out there in the Dallas Fort Worth area that would give me access to their pin? If I could at least get the colors matched then I'd be ready to offer these backbox decals to the group. Cost of materials is high, labor is extensive, and if I mess anything up the waste is expensive. With that stated, I'm going to most likely set the price up to around $75 including shipping to US residence (I will ship outside of US, but will have to one-off quote shipping).

So, at this point please let me know if you or anyone you know in my area has a RBION, and let me know if you would be interested in purchasing one so that I can engage interest. You are welcome to post replies here, or if you want privacy you may PM me.

One last thought, I've heard they have a RBION pin in the RBION location here in DFW, but I don't know if you have to pay to get in to see it or if it is in the public spaces. Has anyone every been to this location (I believe it is in Grand Prairie)? I may try to give them a call in the next few days and ask. I could take my pantone stick and nail down the colors there.

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

A Colordmd is a must!!
Just added 2 micro leds in the heads eyes. Makes it Really pop when it speaks![quoted image][quoted image]

looks great ...what are led colors in GI? blue down low then bright white?

#744 5 years ago

I'm looking to sell my RBION. I'm in New Zealand and it's one of the only RBION's in the country, so most prospective buyers have never played it. So I made a gameplay video and a basic tour of the features. It was my first time speaking on camera and I had fun with it! I nearly made it to Frog Frenzy. Those who are interested, you can see it here:

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm looking to sell my RBION. I'm in New Zealand and it's one of the only RBION's in the country, so most prospective buyers have never played it. So I made a gameplay video and a basic tour of the features. It was my first time speaking on camera and I had fun with it! I nearly made it to Frog Frenzy. Those who are interested, you can see it here:

Awesome video man! Don't sell it, you'll regret it! You were rockin' those Super jackpots. I have to work on my multi stage upper flipper skills after seeing that.

#746 5 years ago

Awesome video man! Don't sell it, you'll regret it! You were rockin' those Super jackpots. I have to work on my multi stage upper flipper skills after seeing that.

Thanks! It's about the only thing I'm good at on this game. I can barely earn Ripley's letters to save myself!

#747 5 years ago

Can anyone confirm part # or size of the metal posts on the bottom of each side of this mech. It’s the metal base that a post sleeve fits over it. My threaded top section broke off. Base looks like a 10 but top thread is either a 6 or an 8

I removed the top black posts on each side to make it factory
DA41E420-9CB6-42E5-AB35-55AD3F68EAFC (resized).jpegDA41E420-9CB6-42E5-AB35-55AD3F68EAFC (resized).jpeg

#748 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Can anyone confirm part # or size of the metal posts on the bottom of each side of this mech. It’s the metal base that a post sleeve fits over it. My threaded top section broke off. Base looks like a 10 but top thread is either a 6 or an 8
I removed the top black posts on each side to make it factory
[quoted image]

Check the manual if no definitive.

https://archive.org/details/Stern_Pinball_Ripleys_Believe_It_or_Not_Manual

#749 5 years ago

Yeah I’m looking it now. Here is my broken threaded top. Looks like pinball life carries it #10 base #6 threads. Part 530-5332-03

B9FED9DF-86EA-43F8-82B4-06D3079C1582 (resized).jpegB9FED9DF-86EA-43F8-82B4-06D3079C1582 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#750 5 years ago

Hello
I would like to ask you if I can delete the factory high scores and save only my high scores.

The same thing I would like to do to the other my pinball of williams and bally

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,515 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-the-strange-the-unusual-the-bizarre/page/15?hl=belvedere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.