Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by LOTR_breath
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

I've searched the forum but couldn't find a thread regarding the exact symptons I'm seeing. Most of the time, but not always, when I turn the game on there is no sound. If I turn the game off and turn it back on the sound returns, but often, not always, it comes on at full volume for a second or two before returning to the normal volume. Once I have sounds, they play correctly. The CPU/Sound board is 520-5300-00 and is running sound OS 4, which is the original configuration form Stern. Would upgrading to sound OS 8 solve this problem or should I look elsewhere on the board: Amplifier, Pre amp, caps? I have tried reseating U-7 and board connectors but no change. I should mention that this problem has come on gradually, ie, when I purchased the game 3 years ago this did not happen.

Thanks for looking.

#2 3 months ago

I'd turn the game off, and reseat MPU connectors for audio.

See if that helps.

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago

Reseating connectors has already been tried.

1 month later
#4 47 days ago

Still looking for help on this. I have replaced U30, then U26, then U7. No sound. Today I started up the game to check voltages and there is sound, but very loud. The volume control works, but 5 times louder than it was. Turning it down, minimum volume is way too loud. one step lower and it goes to mute. I have no idea how or where the volume is controlled on the Whitestar II boards.

There is absolutely no info on line about this problem.

Thanks for any help.

#5 47 days ago

Check all of your DC test point voltages. Many years ago I had a MSF that suddenly had very quiet sound. The -12vdc was way off and I found a bridge rectifier that was faulty.

Also, read this info at link: https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#sound

Stern Whitestar evolved from DE/Sega so the principles are the same.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside