Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dante
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Recently the batteries died and reset all of the settings/scores on my RBION. Now when the ball makes it up to the Shrunken Head, the magnet will grab it (strongly) but instead of flinging it up, it tries to fling it up (weakly) but the ball instead just drops it back to the playfield.

I have read several older threads and have tried multiple things including:
1. Played a bunch of games, etc to get the magnet to relearn how to throw
2. Cleaned around the magnet with rubbing alcohol
3. Read the manual and re-adjusted all of the settings
*note, none of the above had any effect

Since many have experienced this before, anyone figure out what the problem is and how to fix it?

I'm at a loss since it was working fine before the batteries died and am guessing it's a software setting and not a mechanical issue.

#2 7 years ago

I've read the same thing....there really is no adjustment. So take the glass off and throw the ball up there a few dozen times to see if the magnet learning idea is true or not. IIRC the only adjustment to a pf magnet is from the bottom, but if it was working before the battery change don't mess with it...try the learning tip first.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. I''ll take the glass off and throw the ball at it a bunch of times to see if that works.

I also just got off the phone with Chaz at Stern and said he does not believe there is a learning factor in this. He suggested reseating the optos and cleaning. While I will try his suggestion, I still believe it has to be something software wise (learning or setting).

1 week later
#4 7 years ago

**Issue Solved**

Just to provide clarity for future searches - The magnet does in fact need to re-learn how to throw the ball.

I took the glass off and threw the ball at the magnet what seemed like a 100x and it eventually went from dead dropping the ball to 50% of the time successfully throwing the ball to 100% throwing the ball up and over to the pop bumpers. So the magnet is now behaving perfectly like it did before the batteries died.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 18.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 45.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-shrunken-head-magnet-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.