New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 96571)

RBION shrunken head magnet core gets hot...

By Matt_Rasmussen

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by twominds
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm having miss hit issues with this shot and noticed that the core gets pretty warm, curious if this is normal or if there is something wrong.

The magnet seems to work fine in game play, other than being awarded shrunken head shots going up the left ramp and hitting the tombstone right in from of the right opto, but it grabs it well and flings it back and drops it straight down at the right times.

I'm just going to order optos for the shrunken head and idol, they're cheap enough, but curious about the heat.

#2 6 years ago

Hey matt, I'm working on my Rbion at the moment, yeah the core of mine gets hot too, but that's not my problem.
I can't seem too get the magnet to work right, I've checked everything and have even ordered some optos to see if it will fix. What seems to happen is when I shoot a shrunken head shot, the ball grabs just fine, but then just dops it, I've played a ripleys before and notice that the magnet is ment to fling it to the back on a second pulse and to the top right rollovers. Awesome feature but mind doesn't do it. I've tinkered with coil abit and it works, but only once and then goes back as before. Do I need to replace the coil and optos? I haven't had machine long, oh and when it's in multiball the balls in the right lock chamber don't come out, I'm going to order latest rom. It's only v 2.00
Would appreciate any help. Thanks

#3 6 years ago

Sorry, drops it! I was meant to say. Ha ha!

#4 6 years ago

Pinstronomy...make sure the opto(s) is/are clean.

Pitch of the game correct.

There is a belief the magnet is 'self-adjusting'...take the ball and roll it into/over the magnet 10-15 times and see if that brings it to life.

#5 6 years ago

Cheers Cash, just spoke with a mate tonight and he reckons to replace the magnet core, I cleaned the optos heaps...
It gets good magnetism but then dies, ill try rolling it like you said too. Cheers

#6 6 years ago

There is also a menu setting that also disables the fling back. Maybe just do a factory reset and go from there?

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

Do you have any news on this? Mine just acts the same way. It seems to work better after some games, when the pinball becomes hotter. Let's say after 30 mins
Thx

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

There is a belief the magnet is 'self-adjusting'...take the ball and roll it into/over the magnet 10-15 times and see if that brings it to life.

This is true. I remember after updating the rom revision in my, the magnet would not kick the ball back to the pops. After a few games, it was working normal again.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Do you have any news on this? Mine just acts the same way. It seems to work better after some games, when the pinball becomes hotter. Let's say after 30 mins
Thx

If you get phantom shrunken head hits, like the original poster, you need to change the optos. Each time the optos trigger a phantom hit, the magnet needlessly turns on. Those optos eventually get tired (wear out) and are very prone to phantom hits from flashers and other lights when they do. *Same goes for the idol optos.* The super jackpot mini ramp optos are more hidden, so are less prone to phantom hits.

#10 6 years ago

Check your fuse clips for looseness, my magnet would heat up, clip did not hold fuse tight, squeezed them together with fuse out and magnet quit running hot. Replaced clip at a later date.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

Check your fuse clips for looseness, my magnet would heat up, clip did not hold fuse tight, squeezed them together with fuse out and magnet quit running hot. Replaced clip at a later date.

Curious how a fuse would cause something to heat up more if it was loose? I thought they were just either a current path, or an open when the fuse blows....

#12 6 years ago

No I don't have phantom shrunken head hits. The optos run also ok. I've tested them and they are working.
My problem is that the ball falls down when the magnet releases it. The ball is supposed to go up behind the bumpers instead. I don't know why this happens

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

No I don't have phantom shrunken head hits. The optos run also ok. I've tested them and they are working.
My problem is that the ball falls down when the magnet releases it. The ball is supposed to go up behind the bumpers instead. I don't know why this happens

There is a setting in the manual for that...

#14 6 years ago

I've read on several posts on this forum that there is a setting somewhere to control how the idol magnet acts. However I haven't been able to find it in the manual.
The only setting I see is :
IDOL BALL SAVER: When set to YES, the pinball will be returned to the player if the Idol throws the ball out-of-play (ball drain).
It's better than nothing but it still doesn't make the ball move up once it quits the magnet.

#15 6 years ago

No setting. If you are running old software, update to at least 3.01. If you've had any touchup done in that area that has been cleared, that will cause the symptom you're seeing. Excessive wax in that area will also cause the problem. If software is good, try cleaning the area around the magnet with alcohol. Last resort, try a factory reset or swap magnets with the idol magnet.

#16 6 years ago

The setting you may be reffering to is #33(coil pulse power) in the Standard and Feature Adjustment menu. It is used to 'adjust' or compensate for low or high line voltage...ball kicks to hard or soft. Setting is usually normal. The settings are: Hard-Normal-Soft. Best maybe to check and see what setting you have. Maybe that will solve the problem. Good luck!

#17 6 years ago

Idol isn't shrunken head...i swear there was a disable in there....

1 year later
#18 4 years ago

This thread is old but I thought I might try and help. The Magnet Core gets fairly malformed over many plays and you can feel the change with your finger. Replacing it costs about $10 and 10 minutes. But the likely solution to the head not throwing the ball is a setting. If you had the machine set to home play or "easy," it would have had a couple feature settings that would change with a factory reset. The R-I-P-L-E-Y-S setting in the feature menu (#6 in the Feature adjustments) is likely the problem. If you set it to default, which is "no letters," the ball will not kick back into the bonus lanes because the head has not been activated which happens at the second Ripley letter. So, if you want it to kick backward initially, simply change the number of starting RIPLEY letters to 2 or more and that will make the ball kick backwards. The default setting changes the game dynamic a lot. It makes the player build up the RIPLEY letters to open a lot of features and with the other distracting routes and objectives, you may lose focus of those letters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
York, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside