WP_000879.jpg
WP_000879.jpg
WP_000880.jpg
WP_000878.jpg
WP_000876.jpg
WP_000877.jpg
WP_000875.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I am trying to figure out the correct setup for the RBION plunge. On both my machine and in the Pinball Arcade version, full plunge just hits a post and the ball dribbles back down to the flippers. Is this how its supposed to work or should it go around the left orbit to the lanes? It seems like that would make the most sense, but the adjustment nut for the shooter lane is over almost as far as it will go.

Any thoughts or ideas or there?

I could move it the other direction, then it would go to the area that mixes up the temple numbers instead which might be alright too. I suppose I just want it "correct" though.

#2 9 years ago

The adjustment on this thing is a pain, but a full plunge should shoot it into the orbit, which will activate a post to drop it into the pops. The metal guide from the plunge lane is actually adjustable under the pf, but you'll need to take off a plastic and, I think, a few parts from under the pf to get to the actual adjustment nut.

#3 9 years ago

Also while your adjusting make sure the ball lock lane is adjusted to hit the Shrunken Head ! Comes in handy to make that shot by backhanding the right ramp and the plunger will make that shot for you ..

#4 9 years ago

Mine goes to the lanes, but I rarely do it because the skill shot is worth a lot of points.

#5 9 years ago

It should go all the way up top. Once you get it close with the rail adjustment, you can fine tune it with a pitch adjustment. It really is an important part of the game. Intentionally draining during MB to get one free jackpot off the auto plunge.

#6 9 years ago

Ok, thank you all. I'll work on it tonight.

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

OK, so I checked all this out. The bottom adjustment is all the way as far as it will go. Not in the channel, but you can tell just pressing on it that it isn't going any further.

When I check on the top of the playfield, you can see this adjuster will not go any further as it is hitting the metal post next to it.

To try the the pitch adjustment, just to test, I had it pitched way way higher than it normally would be using my new lift table. The feet were about 4 inches off the ground and full plunge still reliably hit the red post (the dirty black spot pictured, its not even close to making the spinner lane with a full plunge. You can make the spinner lane without a full plunge, however there is then no chance of reaching the multiplier lanes as it is far too weak.

I am not sure what else to try other taking the area apart and bending the metal ball guide (which just mentally seems like something that shouldn't be done). It looks like it is as far is it should go though (lines up with the gate) Here are some pics.

WP_000875.jpgWP_000875.jpg
WP_000876.jpgWP_000876.jpg
WP_000877.jpgWP_000877.jpg
WP_000878.jpgWP_000878.jpg
WP_000879.jpgWP_000879.jpg
WP_000880.jpgWP_000880.jpg

#8 9 years ago

I had a similar issue, from looking at your under playfield picts I think I remember removing the nuts on both the guide and the post and working on correcting the guide. I then bolted the post back down later possibly ontop of the other nut or not at all. I'll try and take a look later tonight to verify.

#9 9 years ago

After looking at your pics, i recall having to remove that washer to be able to get the full range of motion on the guide adjustment. You should be able to get it so that a full pull on the plunger gets all the way up top most of the time. In fact, on the one I play a full pull will often go around the top PAST all 3 lanes if you aren't careful.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

After looking at your pics, i recall having to remove that washer to be able to get the full range of motion on the guide adjustment. You should be able to get it so that a full pull on the plunger gets all the way up top most of the time. In fact, on the one I play a full pull will often go around the top PAST all 3 lanes if you aren't careful.

I thought removing the washer (or using a smaller one) could work too, but I found that what was really keeping it from going further wasn't the washer, it was the post on the top of the playfield. Even though there is more play in the slot below the playfield, it even if there were no nuts in the way, it doesn't go over any further due to the ball guide hitting the post on the top of the playfield.

See below.

WP_000879.jpgWP_000879.jpg

#11 9 years ago

After reading through this thread I checked mine as it auto plunges short. I adjusted the rail as far forward as it would go, and while it plunged a hair further, it still would not make it up to the lanes. I slightly tweaked the plunger arm and no improvement.

Looking at how the ball rested in the lane, I noticed the plunger sat high and increased the distance the auto plunger had to travel to the ball. I pulled the plunger back and dropped a ball in the lane and it fires all the way up and around almost Put in a new barrel spring to keep the plunger further back and snugged the plunger tip and it seems to go to the lanes pretty consistently.

I will monitor and tweak again if needed, but the big help was bringing the plunger tip back so the ball sat closer to the auto plunger. Hope this helps you

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

After reading through this thread I checked mine as it auto plunges short. I adjusted the rail as far forward as it would go, and while it plunged a hair further, it still would not make it up to the lanes. I slightly tweaked the plunger arm and no improvement.
Looking at how the ball rested in the lane, I noticed the plunger sat high and increased the distance the auto plunger had to travel to the ball. I pulled the plunger back and dropped a ball in the lane and it fires all the way up and around almost Put in a new barrel spring to keep the plunger further back and snugged the plunger tip and it seems to go to the lanes pretty consistently.
I will monitor and tweak again if needed, but the big help was bringing the plunger tip back so the ball sat closer to the auto plunger. Hope this helps you

I think my issue is trajectory moreso than strength. Unless even with the ball guide directing the ball somehow the position of the plunger can change the ball trajectory.

#13 9 years ago

It does seem to work better with less of a gap. I did mess with the guide a bit more, to get it to come all the way in I loosened the nylon nut several threads then slid it over as far as it would go, then tightened it down. Seemed to help a bit, though nothing seems to be the magic adjustment yet. It does work better overall

#14 9 years ago

I have been going through this exact same process with my RBION. I removed the nut from the post under the flipper and left it off so I could get more travel from the guide adjuster under the playfield. The post seems secure enough without it.

#15 9 years ago

Maybe I will try that as well. It really seems the limiting factor of that adjustment is the edge of the post topside more so than its corresponding nut bottomside.

Maybe it needs to be shaved up top. Even still once that's done, there isn't a whole lot of play between the ball guide and the door of the passive ball stop.

Of course that will involve removing that whole right ramp to get at, not looking forward to that.

This all seems more like a design issue than an adjustment issue. It shouldn't be this hard to get the ball aimed to where it is supposed to be going.

What I am referring to in this post is visible in the last picture I posted just above.

I also emailed PLD, not sure if he will respond, but figured its worth a shot.

What I find somewhat telling is that the Pinball Arcade version suffers from this same issue.

#16 9 years ago

When I started out with mine few weeks back, the ramp was set so high the ball would actually hit that pin under the flipper and drop down. I removed the nut from the underside of the pin, loosened the guide nut quite a bit, and forced the entire guide over by grabbing the top of the guide with a pair of needlenose. The guide "popped" over up against the ball stop, I tightened the guide back down, and now it plunges into the orbit. Looking at your pic, though, I may have just been lucky and the topside post's may have had its nut edge, versus the point, against that guide tab. This may have enabled the guide tab to slide past on mine.

I'll agree, something is fundamentally off, the adjustment shouldn't have to be at the extreme to get it to work. Either something else is wrong on our lanes or the game isn't designed to shoot into the orbit.

#17 9 years ago

I looked closer at mine last night, and the tab on the guide is actually now sitting on top of the base of that pin. That explains how I was "able" to get the guide to butt up against the gate.

#18 9 years ago

I am trying to get another one of these ball guides from Stern to shave down. so that it can fit better.

#19 9 years ago

Haha... talk about a part tease. I thought I was getting somewhere with them and it just fell flat.

Me : Hi there, I am taking a long shot here. I am looking for a metal ball guide for the shooter lane of a Ripley's Believe it or Not. Any chance you guys have one lying around in an old pile of parts? I didn't see this for sale on any 3rd party websites. This is the ball guide that is adjustable under the playfield. Thank you!

Stern : Hi Richard,
Do you have the rail part number? Look on page 65 in your manual. I not sure which one you want
Best regards

Me : Hello, this is the part number
#27 Metal Rail #1 Shooter Lane Right 535-9319-00

Stern : Hi Richard,
Sorry but we don’t have these. Maybe you can repair the old one.

I was hoping to have an extra to experiment on...

#20 9 years ago

So.... I trimmed the tab that was hitting the post so it could go over further. Sadly now in that position, when shooting the ball it gets stuck in the shooter lane due to the space between the sides closing in too much.

I just put it back in the complete opposite direction for the moment so now the full plunge most of the time goes to the temple code mix up lane instead. It's not perfect, but it will do for the moment until I figure out how the heck to make this work how it's supposed to.

Maybe the guide rail can be bent a little bit before the 45 degree turn to keep the spacing open enough to allow the ball through. Not sure. I just didn't feel like taking it all apart again yesterday.

4 years later
#21 4 years ago

And where did his problem finaly come to a end ?
Haha I have the same problem.

#22 4 years ago

Anybody have a final solution ? Stronger coil ?

#23 4 years ago

Bueler... Bueler....

2 years later
#24 2 years ago

Having similar issue…curious if there is a fix…be nice to shoot the ball so it can hit the left orbit and swing around

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Ernie368:

Having similar issue…curious if there is a fix…be nice to shoot the ball so it can hit the left orbit and swing around

Does your game fail with auto launch or manual launch?

My plunger tip for the shooter rod was hitting the top of the ball. I had to enlarge the hole in the cabinet to move the housing down to get the rod to hit squarely on the ball. Now I can get to the rollovers no prob.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-ripleys-believe-it-or-not-plunge?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.