56%
  • Monopoly 3 votes
    4%

(71 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170912_170959 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I believe it's down to these two for my next one. Which do you prefer and why. Both are not my preferred themes but that monkey voice in RBION does get on my nerve.

DITCHING monopoly and replacing with Shadow!

#2 6 years ago

I like Ripley's better myself. There is a signpost in the game with different locations on it and one of them is Wis Dells, which is a town about 15 minutes from me where I spent a lot of time working and playing.

I also enjoy the vari-target and the 6 pop bumpers. The upper playfield is fun (but so is the lower on congo). The spiral ramp is fun too. I think Ripleys might be a little deeper of a game as well, which i like.

that being said, i have limited time on congo and more on ripley's, so my opinion is slightly bias.

#3 6 years ago

Love both games but congo is better it has cool toys, good artwork, good rules, and good music. That's why more people own congo than Ripley's. Monopoly stinks.

#4 6 years ago

Yeah I'm leaving towards Congo myself but not 100% right now.

#5 6 years ago

Have had both and congo lasted year's longer than rbion..... still miss my congo.

#6 6 years ago

As for complexity/deep rules - would RBION clearly have the edge?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

By far..... its deep but i just didnt enjoy the gameplay.

#9 6 years ago

I miss Congo. It's got a ton of great shots.

#10 6 years ago

That's like comparing Filet Mignon or Ramen Soup for dinner.

I just got a Congo back after making the stupid mistake of selling mine years ago and Amy will never leave this house again! Beautiful Gorilla.

RBION is not horrible tho, if you find an affordable one it is worth a whirl

#11 6 years ago

Hearing a lot of love for congo yet RBION keeping it close vote wise. I hear congo has really fun shots - just wondering about longevity.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hear congo has really fun shots

Amy Loves Pinball

IMG_20170912_170959 (resized).jpgIMG_20170912_170959 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Nice looking pin.

#14 6 years ago

Had both, would only want Ripley's again. RBION has deeper/better rules IMO. Congo isn't really mode based at all whereas Ripleys is. I find the shot layout in both games to be quite fun, you can't really go wrong with either.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Congo might have more rules with more modes going on, but it is MUCH MUCH easier than RBION, and more people will find it "fun." If you really want to challenge yourself RBION is the way.
Congo has much longer ball times if that means anything. Monopoly isn't the worst little game out there...but shouoldn't be in this discussion.

Quoted from delt31:

... but that monkey voice in RBION does get on my nerve.

Funny I find the monkey voice in congo much worse

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Congo might have more rules with more modes going on, but it is MUCH MUCH easier than RBION, and more people will find it "fun." If you really want to challenge yourself RBION is the way.
Congo has much longer ball times if that means anything. Monopoly isn't the worst little game out there...but shouoldn't be in this discussion.

Funny I find the monkey voice in congo much worse

I need to really hear the congo ones as I'm less familiar with it (so put off by the absolute terrible movies). Your input about congo being easier and having longer balls - not a fan so this just got a little more complicated. Looks like virtual pinball of both might need to solve this

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I need to really hear the congo ones as I'm less familiar with it (so put off by the absolute terrible movies)

This Amy monkey broad sucsk on some helium and yells at you all game. I'm not really bothered by either honestly though.

#18 6 years ago

Ripley's has a lot more going on but becomes a little bland after a while. I never cared much for Congo starting right off with that lame skill shot on the plunge.

#19 6 years ago

So just heard some more from congo - not really feeling those call outs either or music. Hmmmm....might need to revisit RBION.

#20 6 years ago

I bought a RBION in April. My girlfriend bought a Congo the next week. Which is better is a debate we have often.

(I think I'm right though)

#21 6 years ago

I love my Congo and probablt fav pin. All shots feel great and is just a lot of fun. Gameplay is on the easy side so not a big challenge beating the game. It's just the type of game I can chill and just have fun playing. Lot's of interesting and unique modes, many multiballs, and several video modes.

I like RBION and it seems like a deeper game. I do find parts of the game annoying and it lacks the quality classic feel of B/W pins. Pretty sure you can get one a lot cheaper than Congo. If you can get one cheap, I would go for it and keep an eye out for Congo later. They can be hard to find.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I do find parts of the game annoying and it lacks the quality classic feel of B/W pins. Pretty sure you can get one a lot cheaper than Congo. If you can get one cheap, I would go for it and keep an eye out for Congo later. They can be hard to find.

They're both not cheap games anymore and Congo agreed is tough to find. I would argue the the feel issue as i think RBION is built like a tank.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Gameplay is on the easy side so not a big challenge beating the game. It's just the type of game I can chill and just have fun playing. Lot's of interesting and unique modes, many multiballs, and several video modes.

This was my main point as well. RBION is a shitkicker...took me over a year to get to the wizard mode, still havne't made 1 mode. Congo isn't mode based so there can be a lot going on from diff'rent areas which is nice...and everything is in reach.
Much more relaxing game to play.

Anyway, looks like OP alrady made his mind up looking for a Congo. Good luck.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They're both not cheap games anymore and Congo agreed is tough to find. I would argue the the feel issue as i think RBION is built like a tank.

This was my main point as well. RBION is a shitkicker...took me over a year to get to the wizard mode, still havne't made 1 mode. Congo isn't mode based so there can be a lot going on from diff'rent areas which is nice...and everything is in reach.
Much more relaxing game to play.
Anyway, looks like OP alrady made his mind up looking for a Congo. Good luck.

Not really. Now I'm kind of down on both. Sounds effects then are big to me as I love interest if the game doesn't connect with me no matter how good the shots are. That's why I don't care for mm

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sounds effects then are big to me as I love interest if the game doesn't connect with me no matter how good the shots are.

Wow, that's sad. Anyway, plenty of more fish in the sea!

#25 6 years ago

sad? Maybe to you. Sorry - I just can't ignore annoying effects and music.

#26 6 years ago

OK - so def not doing RBION. Shadow is getting back on my radar......hmmmm

#27 6 years ago

As far as sound effects go.

Shadow has some excellent sounds and is a super fun players game. But friends and family that aren't into pinball probably won't gravitate to it. As they will find it difficult.

Batman forever is a really full featured pin with good sounds but the "boing" can get annoying.

Congo is a super fun shooting game but the Amy voice is stupid. But so is the movie.
Campy goodness.

RBION is decent but the voice seems bored. And other sounds are annoying.
The game is deeper than Congo. But it's not as fun.

Attack from Mars has great sounds and plays fantastic.

STTNG has the best voice work and callouts in pinball. And is super fun to play.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

As far as sound effects go.
Shadow has some excellent sounds and is a super fun players game. But friends and family that aren't into pinball probably won't gravitate to it. As they will find it difficult.
Batman forever is a really full featured pin with good sounds but the "boing" can get annoying.
Congo is a super fun shooting game but the Amy voice is stupid. But so is the movie.
Campy goodness.
RBION is decent but the voice seems bored. And other sounds are annoying.
The game is deeper than Congo. But it's not as fun.
Attack from Mars has great sounds and plays fantastic.
STTNG has the best voice work and callouts in pinball. And is super fun to play.

Funny you mention STTNG. I think that game has fantastic flow and shots but just can't get into star trek. AFM - good game too - little campy for me humor wise but I might revisit it. thanks!

I hate to do it but might go back to Ghostbusters. Love everything about it just wish it shot better/updated code... : ( Jurassic Park and GnR are also guilty pleasures....haha

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I will throw in Monopoly just out of respect to Lawlor in case anyone thinks that takes it....

First: can I ask why you said the above quote? RBION is designed by Pat Lawlor so it confuses me.

Oh and both RBION and Congo are sweet games. I would say Congo shoots a tiny bit better but Ripleys has better rules. Either way you are doing good.

#30 6 years ago

Hey OP,

interestingly enough, I once traded a Congo for an RBION. I found both games fun. But like you it is the audio (and light show) that really adds a lot to a game for me. I loved the audio on Congo and it was just plain fun to play but it is a little on the easy side so I think it would get old in a smaller collection. Lots of people don't like Amy but I liked the campiness of the movie so it worked for me.

RBION just didn't have the audio package for me. The sounds were too old school (for lack of a better description) and the talking head got old after a while. I also found that it was too stop and go for me. I do like stop-n-go from time to time but it gets old quick for me. I also made it to the Wizard Mode the 3rd week I had it. It is easy enough to make it more difficult but once I seen almost everything there was to see - it got old. Now to be fair you can see everything Congo has in a shortere time - but the game still seemed fun to me.

I agree - that maybe neither of these are the pin for you. The sound package on the Shadow is awesome and the game play is very nice.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

First: can I ask why you said the above quote? RBION is designed by Pat Lawlor so it confuses me.
Oh and both RBION and Congo are sweet games. I would say Congo shoots a tiny bit better but Ripleys has better rules. Either way you are doing good.

b/c Lawlor did RBION - I said out of respect, I would add another potential lawlor. Now I wish I did the shadow in the poll.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Hey OP,
interestingly enough, I once traded a Congo for an RBION. I found both games fun. But like you it is the audio (and light show) that really adds a lot to a game for me. I loved the audio on Congo and it was just plain fun to play but it is a little on the easy side so I think it would get old in a smaller collection. Lots of people don't like Amy but I liked the campiness of the movie so it worked for me.
RBION just didn't have the audio package for me. The sounds were too old school (for lack of a better description) and the talking head got old after a while. I also found that it was too stop and go for me. I do like stop-n-go from time to time but it gets old quick for me. I also made it to the Wizard Mode the 3rd week I had it. It is easy enough to make it more difficult but once I seen almost everything there was to see - it got old. Now to be fair you can see everything Congo has in a shortere time - but the game still seemed fun to me.
I agree - that maybe neither of these are the pin for you. The sound package on the Shadow is awesome and the game play is very nice.

Thanks. If you have any other suggestions of gems I've missed (in the 3k to 4.5 range lmk).

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I never cared much for Congo starting right off with that lame skill shot on the plunge.

The super skill shot is to plunge the ball into the left out lane, which the kicker will then shoot it back out vs the blinking targets. That's a pretty enjoyable shot to start off with.

Now that you've changed your mind on options, I'd say: TS>RBION>Congo

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks. If you have any other suggestions of gems I've missed (in the 3k to 4.5 range lmk).

I was going to say Indy 500, but see you had that one already. Absolutely love that game!
Of the games you mentioned
Shadow>Congo>RBION>Monopoly
I see you have not owned White Water yet. Check that one out a true 90's gem.

#35 6 years ago

Congo with pinsound board

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I believe it's down to these two for my next one. Which do you prefer and why. Both are not my preferred themes but that monkey voice in RBION does get on my nerve.
I will throw in Monopoly just out of respect to Lawlor in case anyone thinks that takes it....

I've had both, RBION is still here. Funny enough I picked up Congo and Ripley's from two different people on the same day about 5 years ago. I like Congo, it's a fun, different game. I bought Congo when it wasn't cool to have Congo. I would get Congo again, but not at the ridiculous prices it goes for now. Congo is very approachable, but it can get old though. There is no wizard mode, just super diamond hunt multiball at every 100 diamonds. It's gets to be how many times you can do it instead of can you do it. It just isn't worth the money it commands nowadays IMHO.

RBION on the other hand is an insane challenge. Tons of strategy, very difficult to do well. Insanely difficult to hit frog frenzy and just slightly easier to get the Atlantis wizard mode. I'm always excited to play Ripley's because you never know how it's going to go. All that and It's cheaper than Congo too, which is crazy. I can't see it ever leaving.

I've also had Shadow, fun challenging and different style of game. Only sold to help pay for the gameroom build out. Would get again and it's worth the price of admission it still sells for. Monopoly is not a good game and not in the same ballpark of any of the other 3 games.

#37 6 years ago

Have both. Congo is more fun, Ripley's is "challenging"...I'd take Congo all day.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Congo with pinsound board

Is there a really good mix for this already?

#39 6 years ago

I have a Shadow sitting next to my Congo. Very different games. Congo is campy fun and just having fun. Shadow is a very challenging game and you have to really plan your shots. Just flipping the ball will get you a very short game. Novice players will have a very hard time with it. I love the ramp diverters but 4 buttons and 3 flippers way too much for novices. Great fun when you get a feel for the shots. It also has great audio and humor. Lot's of random stuff. I love having both games. One for relax playing and one that puts up a challenge.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Dr. Who or Johnny Mnemonic both classics

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I bought a RBION in April. My girlfriend bought a Congo the next week. Which is better is a debate we have often.
(I think I'm right though)

Your girlfriend buys herself pins?!

Bravo on landing her

#42 6 years ago

Ripleys and Shadow is top 2.
Ripleys is so tough and rewarding to reach Atlantis.
Shadow is rock solid.
Congo is too easy but fun. Everyone misses their Congo but they got rid of it the first time around for a reason.
Monopoly is boring for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-or-congo-which-do-you-prefer?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.