Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by Hop721
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo_2020-03-16_01-35-18 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've bought a Ripley's Believe Or Not! pinball and I've noticed the head magnet is a little bit mushroomed. There are other topics about this, but I didn't understand if simply replacing it by removing the old 530-5320-00 ("Threaded Core Plug") and installing a new one is enough.
Sometimes the ball stops there, but it works most of the times.

Could you please help me to understand?

As you can see from the image attached, the playfield near the magnet is also a little bit damaged, do you think it can be repaired? How?

Thanks

photo_2020-03-16_01-35-18 (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago
Quoted from giuseppe4:

Hi everyone,
I've bought a Ripley's Believe Or Not! pinball and I've noticed the head magnet is a little bit mushroomed. There are other topics about this, but I didn't understand if simply replacing it by removing the old 530-5320-00 ("Threaded Core Plug") and installing a new one is enough.
Sometimes the ball stops there, but it works most of the times.
Could you please help me to understand?
As you can see from the image attached, the playfield near the magnet is also a little bit damaged, do you think it can be repaired? How?
Thanks[quoted image]

Replace the core. Mylar over the playfield area to stop damage from progressing.

#3 4 months ago

I have done a lot of Ripleys , I have removed the core and just dremeled it smooth . Took about 5 mins then Reinstalled . If no dremel the. Just buy a replacement core and replace . It really isn’t that hard to do pretty simple .

#4 3 months ago

Thank you guys, I think I’ll replace the core, it should be easy

About the playfield, Mylar can stop damage progressing, but how can I repair the damaged part?

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from giuseppe4:

Thank you guys, I think I’ll replace the core, it should be easy
About the playfield, Mylar can stop damage progressing, but how can I repair the damaged part?

Just looks cosmetic. If you have a steady hand, you can paint in the missing lines. Or you can take a straight-on picture and vectorize it, making a sticker to cover the damaged art with new art on the sticker, then mylar over that.

But given where it is and how slight the damage is, I'd just replace the core (release it from the bottom, but pull it out from the top side) and mylar over it. Call it good. Not like it's a highly collectible, expensive machine where the cosmetics are uber important. Stop the damage, protect, keep playing it.

#6 3 months ago

The only problem I found on my DH magnet was it could be taking out through the bottom except the mushroomed top would cause a problem to the top of the playfield. So removal was done from the top which made things a little harder due to ramps etc having to be removed.

2 months later
#7 49 days ago

My RBION has a carbon fiber type ring around the magnet as a playfield protector (was there when I bought it). Not sure who sells them. I would check Cliffys as well as Marco and pinball life. Seems like if you don’t have that magnet adjusted to exactly the right height, you’re risking playfield damage. PM me for a pic of you need to

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside