IMG_6001 (resized).JPG
IMG_6001 (resized).JPG
IMG_6003 (resized).JPG
IMG_5997 (resized).JPG
IMG_6000 (resized).JPG
IMG_5998 (resized).JPG
IMG_5997 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Hello, I am having some trouble removing a playfield post for Cliffy installation on the RBION scoop. I had a Cliffy on the game already when I purchased it but it has become a bit raised in the middle causing some airballs so I wanted to replace it with a new one. I ran into some problems removing the playfield posts securing the Cliffy to the scoop hole.

The post on the left side was attached with a nut on the bottom of the playfield and I removed it without issue using a nut driver and then pulling the post from the top of the playfield. On the right side of the post there was a flat-head screw under the table I removed. Now I still have the post attached on the top of the playfield that I can't seem to remove. I have tried slipping a small wrench over the top of the post and it spins around but does not actually come off at all.

I'm not sure how to remove this post now. What am I missing? I took picture of the top and bottom of the scoop assembly. IMG_5997 (resized).JPGIMG_5997 (resized).JPGIMG_6001 (resized).JPGIMG_6001 (resized).JPGIMG_6003 (resized).JPGIMG_6003 (resized).JPG

IMG_5997 (resized).JPGIMG_5997 (resized).JPG

IMG_5998 (resized).JPGIMG_5998 (resized).JPG

IMG_6000 (resized).JPGIMG_6000 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Hmmm, I’ve had no problems at all. I would put the screw back in and then hold it with a screwdriver and remove post from top. See if that gets you out.

#3 6 years ago

Mine both came off with no problems, use long-nosed vise grips and pull as you are turning the post from the top, a lot of times the post threads thread the wood playfield as they don't drill the holes much bigger than the post diameter. Obviously clamp on the hex nut at the bottom of the post.

#4 6 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the area is too tight to get my vise grips in. The post with the black rubber directly above is getting in the way. It appears to remove that second post for better access with vise grips I would have to remove the habitrail, left ramp assembly, etc.

The strange thing to me is I can spin the post with a small wrench, it just does not make any progress and seem to come out at all. I guess I'm stuck either dismantling most of the left-side of the playfield or trying to drill or hammer out the post from the bottom? It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to install the Cliffy but I seem stuck now. Is it safe for me to hammer out from the bottom or could that damage the playfield?

#5 6 years ago

The nut for the post is located under/behind the metal piece, it is not the self tapping hole (without the screw) you show in the photo. You have to remove the metal piece to get to it. Its a bugger. Replaced my Cliffy with a new one recently.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks pintuck did you have to remove your whole scoop assembly to get to it? My photos do show both sides. I showed both the left side which I had no problems with as well as the right side. The second picture is the one I am having trouble with (attached to this post).

IMG_6001 (resized).JPGIMG_6001 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Stuckin-NC:

Thanks pintuck did you have to remove your whole scoop assembly to get to it?

Yep you gotta take it off.

EDIT: Do yourself a favor and make sure you remove the plastic film coating on the cliffy so you don't have to go through the steps twice

#8 6 years ago

Awesome thank you! I'll give it another crack later to see if I can get to it. It all makes sense now - the screw I took off was one of the several screws holding the scoop in place, not the post! That would surely explain why I could not remove it...

Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-help-removing-playfield-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.