• Latest reply 12 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CFTBL_pf.jpg

#1 12 years ago

Just got a HUO Ripley's in great condition. My first Stern and am actually very impressed. May be able to trade it for a very nice Creature. I have never played CFTBL but have read mixed reviews. The creature fits in with my collection a little better (Williams) but I like fun games. Anyone have any thoughts on this trade?

#2 12 years ago

Off of looks alone CFTBL is a stunner. However when gameplay comes into the mix I give it to RBION by a mile. I would rather have RBION myself but by looking at the ratings it becomes clear I am in the minority on this one.

#3 12 years ago

I think everyone should own Creech at least once but agree with the Dude in that I prefer Rbion. Creech will always sell so no worries whatever you decide.

#4 12 years ago

Tanks guys, my gut was telling me to keep Ripley's. It is a great game and very unappreciated.

#5 12 years ago

CFTBL is worth more, but a liability since so much of the value is tied up in the holo which fails

RBION is the better player, more reliable, and newer so less likely to have wear/raised inserts/etc.

#6 12 years ago

with about 15 minutes on both games, i'd go with the rbion. i'm a lawlor fanboy though.

#7 12 years ago

I have not put much time on RBION, but what I have played of it I did not like. That being said, I have a CftBL and love it (thus no bias, yes? ). As such, I would vote for CftBL...

#8 12 years ago

If you like fun games, then you would not like the Creature ;P

Seriously they are not even close game play wise. Keep the RBION.

#9 12 years ago

The worst part about owning a Creature is all the trash talk. I would take a Bally over a Stern EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

#10 12 years ago

I think CFTBL will be a better collector machine if you intend on keeping it a long time. I understand where you are torn between the two.

I didn't play either game to tell you about lasting power but they are both fun.

I'm changing my vote for CFTBL.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I would take a Bally over a Stern EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

It's seems a bit silly when people specify the brand as the deciding factor in which pin is better overall. Especially when they have not owned any pins from the brand they are hating on which would add a little bit more validity to the statement.

#12 12 years ago

Off of looks alone CFTBL is a stunner. However when gameplay comes into the mix I give it to RBION by a mile.

If you like fun games, then you would not like the Creature ;P

Seriously they are not even close game play wise. Keep the RBION.

I agree 100%.. Keeep RBION... but , Dif- Strokes 4 - Dif- Folk's !! Sold mine in a Week or Less ! Trust these Guy's ....

CFTBL_pf.jpgCFTBL_pf.jpg

#13 12 years ago

"but , Dif- Strokes 4 - Dif- Folk's !!"

Yep, and a sentiment I think is great about the hobby. So many titles that strike many people differently. It is great!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I agree 100%.. Keeep RBION... but , Dif- Strokes 4 - Dif- Folk's !! Sold mine in a Week or Less ! Trust these Guy's ....

Stay off pinside until you get my funhouse shopped! oh, wait, shanetastic has it. nevermind!

#15 12 years ago

I can find redeeming qualities in almost any game. When it comes right down to it, when you're picking between two good games that are in the same ballpark in price, you need to figure out what you like and what's important to you. If it were an easy question like "MM or Heavy Metal Meltdown?", yes, take our opinion.

Right now I'm having a texting argument with somebody about AFM vs. MM.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

It's seems a bit silly when people specify the brand as the deciding factor in which pin is better overall. Especially when they have not owned any pins from the brand they are hating on which would add a little bit more validity to the statement.

Stern is the number 1 pin manufacturer on location around here. It isn't a coincidence that I don't buy them for my personal collection. I don't like the way they feel. Don't get me wrong, I always drop some quarters, but they aren't my bag.

#17 12 years ago

Haven't played CFTBL but I have played RBION at several locations and everyone one of them has issues so I haven't had a chance to see why everyone likes this game so much. With broken parts it is a dull game

#18 12 years ago

RBION is okay, but visually not very attractive, and the game play is so-so. CFTBL is visually stunning, one of the more attractive pins. It's theme also fits extremely well with the gameplay. It is one of the most challenging pins and therefore turns alot of people off. The two ball multiball searching for the creature is very intense and requires very accurate shots. The restart multiball timer is panic stricken. The move your car progressive payoff is one of the funnier DMD video sequences. The video mode of fighting another dude is probably the least challenging part of the pin, but still fun. Finally, the bowl and trying to complete C-R-E-A-T-U-R-E while the multiball mode is underway and then hitting the super jackpot is again very challenging.

So, for me, CFTBL is a super player's pin and will improve the skills of the average pin player. RBION while having more modes, is not nearly as challenging IMHO.

And yes, I own a CFTBL and will for a long time to be open about my bias

#19 12 years ago

OMG keep the rbion.... I have owned the best original cftbl out there, I'm sure of it, and could not get it out of my house fast enough. My friend has a rbion that I play the shite out of everytime I'm there, and it really should be a top 10 machine with all it offers, which is a ton.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So, for me, CFTBL is a super player's pin and will improve the skills of the average pin player. RBION while having more modes, is not nearly as challenging IMHO.

I'm sorry man, not to insult, but are you kidding me??? cftbl a players pin? You would be the first to call it that. It is ridiculously simple. Shoot the right shot for M, which is always lit, lite the 4 lane changes for another letter, lite the 4 snack bar targets for another, lite kiss (which can be done on the skill shot) for the forth letter, MB, do it again with a couple mini modes mixed in (like ..3). That is IT! How is it possibly a players pin? It’s a pin that is appreciated only by people looking for simply play, which is fine, but no player.

#21 12 years ago

It's got a brutal, unforgiving multi ball. That definitely improved my skills.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

RBION while having more modes, is not nearly as challenging IMHO.

Hmm dunno about that. I got to the end of CFTBL pretty quick, although there is the extra challenge of building up the bonus. I have not even scratched the surface of RBION yet. There is the challenge od collecting all the RIPLEYS letters as well as travelling through the modes, stacking strategies and wizard modes apparently although I haven't got close to them yet.

#23 12 years ago

Playing Creature is like theading a needle while riding a bikecycle down a staircase. It's a pinwiz machine. 2 ball MB only, which takes a heck of a work to archieve (at least on hard). And once your're there, you may well never see the jackpot, let alone having it beefed up by the whirlpool or popbumpers. Brutal.

So it depends on what type of player you are. If you find pleasure in playing a set of limited, yet difficult, features over and over again Creature may suit you. If you play more casually with easier setup to experience an adventure, got for later mode intensive games.

#24 12 years ago

Atomicboy.....read the next three posts after yours. You now have four testimonials. I've been around 10+ years playing and collecting pins and cftbl is always referred to as a players pin. Its not deep mode wise but it is brutal in play. It is very similar to bsd in that regard also considered a players pin.

#25 12 years ago

I just don't see it. As well, I don't agree. There is no difficulty in getting the MB. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I just see little value of any kind in this machine.

I have not been in this for as long as you, but I owned this game, along with many others, and really wanted to find a way to like it. I don't turn over games much or easily, and for me to say this about any machine is a strong comment for me.

Maybe it's me, but I will never understand why anyone likes this machine.

#26 12 years ago

different strokes for different folks. i see the appeal of both machines.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Stay off pinside until you get my Funhouse shopped!

It might be a week or so before I can start it. I found a speck of dust and a fingerprint on my IJ. I am in the process of tearing it down for the complete shop job. Once it is complete, I will move on to FH. I think I am taking a pinball shop job break after FH is done. I need to actually play pinball more!!!

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm there, and it really should be a top 10 machine with all it offers, which is a ton.

I didn't get deep enough into that game to come to that conclusion. Since it is a lawlor machine and i see you've played quite a few games, i can see where it's possible. It's freakin ugly though, which is why I suspect it's ranked lower than it is.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

It might be a week or so before I can start it. I found a speck of dust and a fingerprint on my IJ. I am in the process of tearing it down for the complete shop job. Once it is complete, I will move on to FH. I think I am taking a Pinball Shop job break after FH is done. I need to actually play pinball more!!!

Don't sweat it. I'm sure whenever it get's done it'll be sold. Maybe even before that!

#30 12 years ago

In my opinion CFTBL is the ultimate players pin, it can be super brutal and has improved my ball control no end. I understand that it may not have the depth of other pins, but the ability to get in, get the whirlpool mulitplier at 3x or 4x and nail the super jackpot a couple of times is a goal that I have managed very few times in the 10 years that I have owned it. It keeps me coming back for more as it can just kill me

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Atomicboy.....read the next three posts after yours. You now have four testimonials. I've been around 10+ years playing and collecting pins and cftbl is always referred to as a players pin. Its not deep mode wise but it is brutal in play. It is very similar to bsd in that regard also considered a players pin.

Robert not sure where you get your opinions from, but cftbl is considered a classic, but not a player's pin. A lot of people love it, but it is shallow and repetitive.

RBION is considered a player's pin these days due to its depth, but the theme and art put some off.

#32 12 years ago

Dung....I form my own opinions just as you do. It comes from years of play and collecting. I know many of you think of rgp as a cesspool but many well respected top players post there and there are literally dozens of threads indicating cftbl as 1 of the hardest pins to master. Again I will be the first to admit my bias as I own 1 but it is a bit silly to think I'm crazy for thinking it is a players pin.

#33 12 years ago

Some of us prefer rgp to here as well, but we must be reading different threads. =P

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

there are literally dozens of threads indicating cftbl as 1 of the hardest pins to master

Over what games? TSPP for example? I've done everything to do in cftbl a ton of times over and over in the few weeks I could bother to play it while owning it... It is a drain monster, but are you saying because it is hard to not stop the ball from draining that makes it a hard game, and a player's game?

If I was to make a game with one target, and 5 inch outlanes, and everything drained constantly, is it then deemed a player's pin? There are literally hundreds of EMs that have to be set to 5 ball because of the draining, are they players? What about pre war machines with no flippers? Surely they must be players to then too, I mean what is harder than no flippers at all??

Come on... it is a drain monster, but it is ridiculously shallow, there isn’t much for any “player” to do, let alone a good one. It doesn’t take 10 years in to determine that.

I’ll stop there as these discussions are always futile. I must be missing the super awesome wizard mode that somehow makes this game challenging and deep for a player to appreciate.

#35 12 years ago

You're right....its futile to çhange your opinion. Don't know why you have an obvious deep seated hate for the game. But you've formed your opinion and you seem bent on changing mine. We'll have to agree to disagree.

#36 12 years ago

Dung.....yeah much like here rgp has both varied opinions and varied a holes

#37 12 years ago

CREECH!!!A work of art!!!NEVER leaving my collection!

#38 12 years ago

I am very partial to CREECH, but love both machines. If you like the theme and beauty is important to you, then definitely get CREECH. If not, then the depth and longevity of the RBION would work well in your collection.

#39 12 years ago

Both are great games for different reasons, get them both - thats what I did They are both good players, thats why they were part of both Papa and Pinburgh last year.

Being a good players game doesnt need to mean deep rules. Strategy is part of winning tournaments and getting higher scores. I wouldnt want it as my only game but its a nice change of pace from deap games - like TSPP and LOTR - that doesnt make it a bad game, just different

#40 12 years ago

I wouldn't compare rbion to lotr or tspp. Sure rbion has depth, but it is easy to have a quick game and do well (stack 2x playfield with multiball). LOTR and TSPP require lots of time to do well.

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

They are both good players, thats why they were part of both Papa and Pinburgh last year.

Being a good players game doesnt need to mean deep rules. Strategy is part of winning tournaments and getting higher scores.

Careful, you'll be burned at the stake for calling CFTBL a player's pin

#42 12 years ago

One of my close buddy has a HUO RBION that is in new condition. I have put close to a hundred games on it. Not a pin I would like to own.

Theme is not the worst, Jamaican call outs can be a put off, nice magnets, the thing that bothers me is that it is not fun. The modes don't pull me in, and I just don't really care for it. After a 100 games, it is not going to grow on me. It's the only pin he has, so when I am at his house, I fire it up.

CFTBL is a well integrated theme. Have put a lot of games on this one too. Gap seems a little bigger between the flippers, so it drains quicker. It is not very deep, but that is understandable considering that it is older than RBION. Not my favorite pin either, but I like it a lot more than RBION.

Not a Stern hater, as they have made some great pins. I just don't think RBION is one of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-for-a-cftbl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.